Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Littlefield & Esper Blvds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

30th_street
Username: 30th_street

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my travels I encountered this X on the map. Does anyone know the plan behind the layout of this area? It seems intentional, Littlefield and Esper Blvds making an X in the box of Joy, Wyoming, Warren, and Schafer.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6065
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah-h, the roads of my youth. Welcome, 30th street!

I just did a search on the term 'Aviation Subdivision', the name of that 'hood, back from when old Henry the Once had an airport built to shuttle his executives around.

Check this thread, and also this one. Pretty funny to rehash old conversations...MikeM posted some cool older maps on one of those e-conversations.

If you searched on both street names, I'd bet the forum search function would have yielded both threads.

30th_street

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon

Thanks for the links. I tried the search before, as many folks tend to have next to no patience for newbies, and don't find things too easily so I just outright ask for direction. So thanks for taking pitty on me. I read about the area and found it really interesting. I can now continue with my travels with an understanding of what I saw.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good ol dearbern-

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 521
Posted From: 24.32.180.75
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey, it's not just newbies ...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6069
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, I am certainly one guilty of talking before searching the archives...hence my 'pity' is merely tolerance of another like myself!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4419
Posted From: 141.217.174.192
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The X it's just little neighborhood design that represents the old Govt' Aviation Field after it brought it from the Esper Family in the early 1900s. Now it's middle class Dearborn neighborhood that is mostly ethnic Arab Muslims both Lebanese and Iraqi Sunnis and Shiites and a middle to low-come mostly black Detroit ghettohoods. There used to be lot's of ehnic Arab families who used to move into those Detroit ghettohoods back in the late 1960s as far as Grand River and Oakman Blvds. But the growing black population from the West Side cause them to move into the Dearborn neighborhoods. Today there are few Arabs that are quickly moving north of Tireman St. and into the Detroit Ghettohoods for the housing values to quite cheap and the ghettohood well kept up by the black-folks they get along just fine.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is mostly correct, however the area of Detroit that falls North of Tireman and South of Joy in between Wyoming and Scaeffer is quite a nice area with older middle to upper class black couples and a handfull of whites. Beyond Joy however begins Danny's so called ghettohoods. If I understand Danny correctly he believes that black arab relations are "just fine" I however would not paint the picture as well as that but I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

30th_street

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this site about old airfields. I looked through the ones in Michigan. Didn't see the old Govt' Aviation Field but they do talk about the Henry Ford one.
http://www.airfields-freeman.c om/index.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.