Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » False Propagandas and Scare Tactics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The August 8, 2006 SMART renewal is a charity cause for the handicapped and crippled. The Michigan Department of Transportation – MDOT has publicly stated many times that they will no longer pay for the cost of operating SMART and DDOT with the tax on fuel. DARTA has put this fact in writing by means of illegal force by shutting down bus service in communities such as Livonia and other actions. There are federal laws that can be used to stop MDOT and DARTA from further abuse which are fully described in my website

When I drove by Wonderland which soon will have over a thousand new jobs, I know the truth and the facts. The per-passenger cost for these workers is $10.00 per ride. Similar public systems such as Chicago and areas that have no rail cost $1.30 to 3.00 for the same ride.

Everyone agrees that good public transportation is essential thus will contribute in some way or anther. We can support just leaving things alone by capping all transportation related tax increases or we can support more lies and the belief the maybe someday industry will pay out the kindness of their hearts.

Until Michigan residents get the mass transit leadership we deserve, it is in the best interest for the vast majority of us to defeat all transportation related tax increases period.

I do not need any supporters because I believe in Jesus Christ.

(Message edited by Trainman on June 25, 2006)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are singlehandedly the worst debater I have ever witnessed. I have no idea what your point is.

No one cared, so now you're saying this is about the handicapped, hoping to get some sympathy attention?

If you don't need supporters, stop posting your gibberish here.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5644
Posted From: 67.70.118.171
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJR?

Trainman

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proposal S the SMART propoerty tax is indeed a charity cause. And my webpage proves it. If anyone wants to see it then I'll post it.

SMART and DDOT costs too much. So, whats the answer? Let's start a third transit authoirtty and call it DARTA.

DARTA costs too much and is illegal and is immoral and is not supported by industry.

The sole purpose of DARTA is to raise taxes by taking from those who can least afford to pay more and will least benefit from the Ann Arbor to Detroit Rail project.

There are many private companies that can do the job better and without more tax increases.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 204.128.192.3
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd vote whichever way Trainman doesn't want us to vote. Just to spite him.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 35.12.20.185
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are many private companies that can do the job better and without more tax increases."

Huh? Since when have private companies operated any sort of non-excursion, regular passenger rail service without a hefty government subsidy? It's been decades.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1956
Posted From: 70.227.12.109
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Private regularly scheduled bus and train companies are against the law in the city of Detroit. They were outlawed when the city took over the streetcars.

Do some real research trainman. There are no city train or bus services in this country that run without government subsidies.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4411
Posted From: 141.217.174.192
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough with the property tax increase for the sake of D-DOT, SMART and DARTA.

Freeman Hendrix said that DARTA IS DEAD!!! And all of you folks who are now living in your cookie cutter homes, communting by high prices cars and cheap transit will have to say to talking leaders that WE DON'T NEED DARTA, Bring back M-DOT's grants to SMART and have Privat companies run light rail transit. That's what we want.

(Message edited by danny on June 27, 2006)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is going into the transit system to make money around here.
Gas is still too cheap to see much of an increase in bus ridership.
Detroit had it's chance for public transportation. Now it's becoming a less than second class city and losing population. Who the heck is going to pay for a new transportation system?
Answer= No one

Leidio
Username: Leidio

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 12.152.3.130
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

trainman what the hell are you talking about?

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 64.7.187.125
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WEll with the price of gas cresting at 3 bucks a gallon plus- and lots of michiganders losing their union jobs- a lot of people will soon be walking and wish michigan had a better mass transit system-
and for having a transit system that helps disabled people out- why not-
a society that doesn't place much value on its handicapped citizens- isn't much of a society-
what's the solution?
I hope that all of you folks who don't have a lot of empathy for the disabled don't end up in a similar situation.

Trainman

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do some real research trainman. There are no city train or bus services in this country that run without government subsidies.

end of quote.

I've done extensive research and the problem with SMART and DDOT is not that we need to support them with taxes but instead that their costs are rising far faster then what the taxpayers are willing to pay or can afford considering the low and fixed income people.

I really do appreciate the comments because I tried to save SMART in Livonia. I want MDOT to do more by paying SMART to remove cars from freeways, so I can bring them back to Livonia someday. The answer is for all of us to work together and I can see this in the above posts.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 164
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MDOT does provide the bus companies with money through the gas tax, this guy just does not want his tax dollars being used to support the poor and elderly. You can see this in how Trainman refers to SMART as a charity case for the crippled.

If he does believe in Jesus he should remember "whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers, the you do onto me". This is a reminder to all that you need to love and care for those who are poor and sick. Rising costs have to do with several factors including the cost of health insurance for the families of workers, and making transit to be more accessible to the 'crippled' as you call them.

By subsidizing the cost of fares we are also helping the economic vitality of our region by connecting businesses with those who need work, or their services. We are also helping to stabilize this region as a great place to visit. Without upgrades to transit, people who come here by plane or train, are in rough shape trying to get around town to see the sites or to even conduct buisiness.

If MDOT should look to cutting subsidies, maybe they should start with AMTRAK; as more people ride DDOT and SMART than ride intercity transit.

(Message edited by detroitplanner on June 27, 2006)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4425
Posted From: 141.217.84.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall

Gas prices these days are going in the one direction UP, UP, UP. And public transit is the best way to save money on fill up your car with polluted gas.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.246.123.118
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as neocons are in control in Washington, the debate will be which social programs do we cut to save others? Why cut Amtrak for a bus system? The price of oil is going up and the coal industry is waiting in the wings to take up the slack and air quality be d***ned. Detroit's nearly non-existent mass transit system is a monument to the American car industry of bygone days. What other city Detroit's size has the lousy mass transit we put up with? What other city devotes so much of its inner city real estate to streetlevel parking?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What other city devotes so much of its inner city real estate to streetlevel parking?"

Hmm ever been to Texas, Phoenix, Miami, or Las Vegas? Hey! Maybe we can promote ourselves at the Mid-West's sunbelt city?!?! : )

Max, BTW I am not advocating a cut in intercity traiin service. I amplaying devil's advocate, sorry to get your ire up!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2240
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jitney's anyone?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1153
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've mentioned jitneys in the past, Mcp, but no one ever took up on it.

Seriously if a line has ridership but not enough to warrant a full size bus USE A SMALLER BUS.
It's like the airline industry - the closer to 100% capacity of butts in seats the more cost-efficient the route

Trainman

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, Do you know the difference between a progressive tax and a regressive one?
If not, then please check my transit supportive website as I explain this difference.

I do indeed want to support the poor and the elderly. I supported SMART's Proposal S and worked very hard in Livonia to keep the bus system intact.

In addition, I believe in Jesus Christ and YES the
August 8, 2006 SMART property tax renewal is indeed a charity cause. It will likely pass for this reason. This is not a bad thing and YES I do indeed support this.

Unfortunately, we also should have more state and industry supports for mass transit in southeast Michigan but we don't.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.