Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit's down payment assistance is a joke « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.235.110.46
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Late last year I decided to buy my first home after my rental lease was up in the spring. I found out that the city of Detroit offers something called the "American Dream Downpayment Assistance Initiative", which "offers down payment assistance to potential homeowners with low-income". I fit the criteria: I make less than $49K/year, I'm over 18, I am a first time homebuyer, and so on.

After finding the right home, the people at the city's Planning and Development Department needed my lender and myself to fax them tons of paperwork. They were required to process my application in two weeks.

At the very end of the two weeks, they finally told me that I was rejected because there were citations on the city's inspection report (despite the fact that there isn't a citation-free house in the universe).

I spent several weeks (and a lot of money) correcting all of the citations on this 140 year old home. I had the house re-inspected (it took one week to get an inspector out there). Someone at the city didn't file the re-inspection report when they were supposed to, causing *further* delays.

When I finally obtained my approval, I faxed it to the Planning and Development Dept. again. I called them several times over the next two weeks. After some time, they said that I "should" be approved by Friday the 23rd (two days late of their two-week deadline, even though all they had to do was glance at my inspection approval certificate).

Here is the best part: the "funds won't be available" for TWO ADDITIONAL WEEKS!

I've been living in this house the whole time, having so far paid $1,600 in rent to its current owner and still making repairs to a house I don't even own. If the grant ever goes through, I will be surprised if I break even after all of the rent and repairs (the down payment and closing cost assistance should be $5,000.00).

I am very lucky that the owner of this house is so patient and understanding (I'm sure the rent helps), and that I was able to afford the repairs. What do all of the less-lucky people do? I wonder how many donkeys like me ever get their carrot each year. Has anyone else here had to deal with the ADDI program?

I wonder why the city isn't attracting more new residents...

I apologize if this long rant is out of place.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 558
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there Psewick. Working with the city takes a long, long, long time but eventually it should go through. It took my wife and I a year to buy the empty lot next to us through the city's vacant lot program.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too late now for Psewick, but JVS offers a down payment assistance program run by people who do it for a living.

All other would-be homeowners should ask their realtor or better yet, their mortgage banker.

Regardless, congrats on your new home. If you don't mind, where is it?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the age of the house (140 years) my guess is.... Corktown???

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c, JVS, whatzat?

Psewick

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog -- Holy crap, a year? To buy a vacant lot through a program designed exactly for that purpose?? Eh, I shouldn't be surprised...

Eric_c -- It's a little house on the western edge of the Corktown historic district, on Wabash Street. :-) I love it, and enjoy all the work except pulling weeds. I just wish I owned it already...

(Message edited by Psewick on June 22, 2006)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 787
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jewish Vocational Services

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psewick, sounds like a cool house. Congrats!

And, yeah it really took a year. CC had to vote on it and approve the sale because it was city property being sold for below market value. If you are penny pinching (like us) then it's well worth it to use the program but it's probably a lot easier to buy outright for full price (no CC involvement). The lot was listed for $600. We got it for $200.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, we just paid our taxes on it. $32.53! Can't beat that!

Erobtheone
Username: Erobtheone

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 65.202.29.180
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should really be grateful that the city is handing you $5k. The last time anybody handed me free money I don't remember complaining that much about it. Congrats on your new home and your committment to our fair city. Be thank ful

Psewick

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erobtheone - You do have a point. I am being kind of whiney. I am very glad that programs exist for $25K/year-making college drop-outs like me, and I am going to go through this okay, it seems.

I still wonder what *less* fortunate people do when they don't have a generous landlord who lets them stay in their apartment for an extra month, a cooperative home seller who lets them rent the house, money to pay that rent, enough money and time to quickly repair all citations on their city certs report, a job flexible enough to allow them to take the time off to stand in line at the city/county building on several occasions to obtain all of the necessary paperwork, family members to assist with home repairs, and all of the other lucky breaks I've had. What do other people do?

Also, the woman I'm buying the house from has some financial troubles and could really use the money. I am very fortunate that she hasn't tried to find another buyer.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might seem like a shot in the dark, but you might want to try contacting a city council person's staff. They might be able to help you navigate the city bureaucracy. Then again they might not. I five minute phone call could turn out to be worth it.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're busy voting on naming things after people.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 640
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to seeing a photo of your new place, Psewick. Congrats!

I just went through a screwed up closing on my old house; I can share your frustration. Buyer made a fine offer on May 2, and we just had the final closing (with their money in my bank!) Wednesday. Fortunately, out here, we don't have city inspectors to dink around with. Caveat Empator.

Psewick

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 -- Here you go:

http://pics.livejournal.com/vegan27/pic/0004qw8k

:-)

I sure as heck couldn't get that "/image" thing to work...

(Message edited by Psewick on June 23, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.