Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Stolen, 3 mountain bikes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just had my first experience with stolen property here in Detroit. I had just gotten back from a bike ride at noon, and proceeded to place my bike in the garage. I needed to go into the house to get some water and check my e-mail before I cut the grass, so I just left the garage open as I was coming right back out. When I did so at around 12:25 my bike and my two roommate's bikes were long gone. Twenty five minutes and I was in the damn house, next to a window that faces the garage and i didn't even hear a thing. What a great way to start my summer vacation.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2690
Posted From: 143.231.249.141
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were a fool to keep the garage open.

No sympathies here.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4373
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Law of the Ghettos of Detroit. If you don't lock something up, it would be gone in 60 seconds. Don't bother calling the Detroit Police and file a report. They not going to find your precious mountian bike. They out there eating donuts and catching KING KWAME's enemies who are not affliated with the Y.B.I. gang. I hope you have insurance.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is at fault because he left the garage door open??? what a lame reaction to crime----get a life

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1335
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to kick him when he's down.

However, I never leave my 1995 Bridgestone MB-5 (only cost $450 when I bought it) unlocked in the garage, and I live in the piece and quite suburb of Royal Oak. It stays in the basement, or it stays locked up.

Unless I'm riding it, of course...

(Message edited by machoken on June 22, 2006)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 63.171.81.130

You are not the fool. It is too bad people have to live like this. Typical Detroit living.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4374
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time PLEASE PLEASE Lock up your property for this is America not Gaycanada.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 918
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sometimes see a thief riding **three** bikes at a time. Once, I saw a bike thief with three bikes ride on the wrong side of Vernor and went right past a Detroit cop in SW Detroit w/o arousing his suspicion. Must have been close to quitting time...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10211
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, you thought it would be ok to leave your garage door open? Then you were surprised that your bikes were gone? You must be new here.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whyever would a cop notice a thing like that? I drive past the new SW District police station on Fort St. daily and more than once I have seen as many as three prostitutes working right in front of the front door. Also, a block away, an unsteady guy stands begging IN Fort St. between the lanes of the southbound trucks. No one seems to notice or care.

As ever, I fault the Command staff and the Detroit residents for making the police so indifferent by punishing them for doing real policing.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The moral of the story is, yes, close the garage. All you're doing is helping honest people stay honest by not tempting them.

Ltorivia, thanks for proving you can take the person out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the person. How heartless! That's a new low even for you.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet, people scream bloody murder when a few cops get fired due to the finances of Detroit. They don't appear to be very busy compared to the other cities or towns--both rural or urban--in which I've resided.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 787
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, that sucks about having your bike stolen. That'll put a damper on just about anything. It also sounds like an expensive lesson. It doesn't matter where you live, whether it's in the city or suburbs or exurb townships, that type of stuff happens all of the time. You just can't leave anything to chance anywhere. You have to be careful. Thieves are more opportunitic than anything.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was this seven-year-old on my block who had three of his bikes "stolen" in a bit over a year when he left them unattended on the sidewalk. His father just buys him a replacement. Who's dumber?

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 326
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that bro.

Where is it that you live?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 894
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stolen bikes make me very angry. Bike thieves should receive harsh punishments.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lock it up and even if you lock it up the lock along with the bikes might be gone!

I suggest you go to this website and make an application for membership:

http://www.nra.org/

Next, go to this website and buy the best one you can afford:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/

Go to this site to find out the best way to use your new tool:

https://www.frontsight.com/freedvd.asp?gaw

Go to this website to find out where to purchase man’s best friend and bike thief’s worst enemy:

http://www.hoobly.com/12014/1689/0/

When you get there purchase a nice sturdy one that suits your needs:

http://www.eastools.com/chain/images/88888-1.jpg

If you are white and the would be thief is black then make sure you invest in one of these because you can't have an excuse good enough to get out of this jam in this city:

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/articles/02summer02/images/02wood_chippers1.jpg

Go out to the store and purchase a case of these:

http://www.beerforayear.co.za/images/brands/MGD_24-12oz_bottles.jpg

Purchase one of these so you can relax while you wait:

http://www.gcichairs.com/pix/g_wilderness_features.gif

Make sure that your bike thief doesn’t have a man’s best friend deterrent or Fido may end up like this!
pit

I hope these tips are helpful to you in the future to curtail anymore stolen mountain bikes.

Goodnight and good luck!

Livedog2

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 68.61.245.34
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was for sure not smart to leave the door open don't get me wrong, yet to blame the victim is ridiculous. The stupid ass kids that took the bikes are the ones at fault(i know they are kids because they left 2 rat ass bikes behind). The worst part about it is that I really love my neighborhood(7 and Mack just north of Balduck Park) and have lived here for 4 years, but I worry that this is a start of a trend instead of just an isolated incident. Crime happens everywhere as we all knowk however this is the third incident in like 3 months. Granted the other stuff that was missing was just small stuff (solar lights and my water hose) but it really feels like things are going down. I have been the biggest proponent of my neighborhood for years. It was quiet and there was never even the slightest hint of trouble. Now we have all these kids moving on the street and it's starting to get crazy. Maybee I'm just pissed and looking too much into things, but I'm starting to think that this is a sign.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3665
Posted From: 68.74.31.233
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smile

Black-atcha .....

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if 'Big Tone' on Warren and 32nd will have a bike sale soon!

Hood Rule#8.....

make sure you lock yo' goods up or
it will 'get got'!

super d(motordetroit)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another rule for living in the D--When carring your newly purchased groceries into the house from the car, be sure to close the trunk and lock the car inbetween trips into the house, or your groceries will be gone, and it will be your fault, and you should have known.

And don't bother the cops reporting any of this, they'll just roll their eyes and tolerate you while you fill out forms that they will eventually give you, only if you go to the (remaining) station(s). The other term for this is
"keeping it real"

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 564
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks man, but at least you know you were slippin.' Tis the law of the streets. The thieves probably saw the bikes, thought to themselves "if I don't steal them, someone else will, might as well be me that gets the benefit..." and they stole them. Sounds similar to stuff in my neighborhood of West Village. In the two years in our neighborhood, someone stole a couple of our solar lights too, my brothers bike that was chained up behind the house for a couple days was stolen, someone just stole a hanging plant off the front porch the other night (a plant?!), not to mention my truck that was stolen last August (I was slippin', brand new, no alarm/club parked on the street, duh... got it back though fixed and works perfectly, has kill switch now).

These are just realities of living in a metro area not just the city. Around when my truck was stolen, my cousin told me his freinds car was stolen in Gross pointe. Those are the break. You deal with it and life goes on. It's only stuff after all. It sucks but you can always buy more.

Supersport

Post Number: 10215
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You lived there 4 years and hadn't realized that maybe you shouldn't EVER keep your garage door open? You may as well threw up a "GARAGE SALE" sign before you went into the house for 25 minutes. Consider yourself lucky that the bikes were the only thing take, and at least they had trade ins.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 70.60.145.218
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your pain playa.......but you're not in Kansas anymore Dorothy....lock it up or it will get up and walk away.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in DC there was a park you could usually go to and buy your bike back off the black market...or, if you had it licensed, there was a VERY slim chance yoiu could corral a cop to go over there and get it (upon showing the proper papers).

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485 Quote:You were a fool to keep the garage open. No sympathies here.

Now there's "Detroit Love" for you, King Kwame must really like you. So it's this guys fault and not the punks who stole them..what an Einstein.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently once having three bikes to ride is not Margaret's preferred form of "mass transit."

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2691
Posted From: 69.17.38.194
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone: he basically left the bikes out there to the public. They were screaming "take me! take me!" Anyone could have taken the bikes away, including a teenager. The OP was irresponsible at best.

Machoken

Post Number: 1337
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, but you were way too crude.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 71.213.228.30
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey DMB, I feel your pain, I would hate to have my two-wheeler snatched, but it's true, you've gotta use your head.

Had my Schwinn Continental ten-speed (heaviest bike ever made) ripped from my parent's house garage in Grosse Pointe Woods in 1980. Doesn't matter the time or the place; if you value your schitt, put a lock on it.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mac: life is cruel and not always fair.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I see, according to some of you, if it's not yours don't touch it doesn't apply. Forgive the thieves and blame the owner, it's his fault he tempted those nice boys....beautiful

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 539
Posted From: 71.213.228.30
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong Pacy, I do not condone the taking of other people's belongings and I think the lads that snatched these bikes are schitt-heels and should have their knee caps busted;

BUT you still need to use your brains and be careful with your valued possessions. Bikes are particularly vulnerable because they're easy to get away with quickly.

It sucks, and it's a tough lesson in taking care of your business. This easily could have happened in Royal Oak, Rochester, Birmingham or Chicago, however. Don't leave your stuff out in the open if you value it.

Lightbulb
Username: Lightbulb

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 70.39.4.72
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485: Life may be cruel, but I would hope that we can depend on each other to lessen the pain. . .

Dmb: Don't let whoever stole your bikes ruin your summer. There are plenty of shops in the city and metro area that sell used bikes.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 68.252.68.118
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mione were stolen last year, i found both locks & chains on the ground. Bolt cutter was apparently the tool of choice. I've since given up bicycling since I cant afford another bike. I had the last one for 3 weeks.

but hey thats status quo here, right?

I bet they're lining up to move in right now.... if you hurry up you can take my spot.

...and watching the hypocrites stand up & take pride in the asshole thieves that represent their town...

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3816
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ltorivia485, et all,

If a woman is raped, are you going to blame her because she was wearing a short skirt as well? Was she a fool who, to use your words, “was asking for it.” Seems to me that Dmb made an error in judgment but that doesn't make him/her any less of a victim of a crime.

I'm sure the individual who took Dmb's bike was a disenfranchised member of Diaspora whose actions were no doubt a revolutionary direct action designed to strike a blow against the injustice of a Capitalist, racist, classist system that allows one man to own a bike while another is forced to walk. Is it really wrong to steal a bike to transport you to the store to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family? Why should we be bound by this bourgeoisie construct of bicycle ownership? Don't the bikes really belong to mother earth and therefore all of us? Christ Dmb, don't be so fucking selfish!

You know maybe if we stopped blaming the victim and showed a little moral outrage over people taking other people's stuff, there might be a little less crime. I'm not saying we need to rally up a posse with pitchforks and torches or that crime will ever be conquered but tolerating or accepting theft isn't helping.

Is it really too much to ask that people say something like 'Christ that sucks, sorry to hear it’ or just leave the thread alone. Maybe this something of a lesson about the need for neighbors to look out for each other and their property, I don't know. One thing this should not be is a chance for some snarky simpletons to pile on a victim of a crime.

And to those of you piling on, you get exactly the society to fucking deserve. Keep it real!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 411
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does everyone keep saying that "this type of thing happens everywhere?" No, it doesn't happen everywhere. If you can't leave your shit unattended for 25 fucking minutes without it getting stolen, then you live in a shitty neighborhood and need to move immediately. If you don't call the cops when stuff like this happens because you think they won't do anything about it, then something is seriously wrong with where you live. If the kids in your neighborhood are routinely committing crimes in broad daylight with total impunity, then you REALLY need to move.

If the combined value of those 3 bikes was over $1000, then those boys committed a FELONY. Don't take this shit lightly and don't brush it off as "it happens everywhere."

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 802
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hood Rule#8.....

make sure you lock yo' goods up or
it will 'get got'!

there are no rules after rule #1: the meanest, biggest badass sets the rules, lock or no lock.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all the people jumping on DMB's ass, your reason that "it's just the hood" is ridiculous. Jelk said it right. Don't just sit there and say, "hah welcome to Detroit!?" I hope you welcome all the new residents like that. O wait maybe potential residents chose to move out or not move into the city neighborhoods (I'm not talking lofts here) because they see SOME of the current residents attitudes.

You know I bet the same attitude has been going on for a long time judging by the conditions of some the areas of detroit. Maybe it went like this: "There is an abandoned building, eh fuck it. There are two abandoned buildings, eh fuck it. There are no local businesses, the whole neighborhood is a shit hole now, there are not enough adequate city services, and everyone is moving out. Eh, fuck it, welcome to Detroit!" Seems that attitude has worked REALLY WELL!!

How dumb.

Sorry DMB. Maybe I'll see you at the next Christmas Tree Lighting! :-)

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2697
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a woman is raped, are you going to blame her because she was wearing a short skirt as well? Was she a fool who, to use your words, “was asking for it.” Seems to me that Dmb made an error in judgment but that doesn't make him/her any less of a victim of a crime.

I fail to understand how a woman being raped is analogous to a man intentionally leaving his bicycles unlocked in broad daylight for the whole world to look and steal. There are a lot of women who wear skirts everyday, and not all of them are victims of rape (Most rape victims personally know their assailants). However, most people know not to leave a car unlocked or bicycle sitting idle because they know there is a higher probability that their sh*t will disappear. Their neighbors won't feel the slightest sympathy other than he should have known better. Yeah, he made an error alright, a costly one at that.

Thecarl

Post Number: 805
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the error made was expecting that civility exists.

when the expectation is that your goods will be stolen in the blink of an eye, and you're a fool for not having anything of value chained up, even for a half-hour, you're in the midst of lawlessness. and when that environment takes hold, a woman in a snowmobile suit is at risk of "inviting" an attack.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2363
Posted From: 12.75.20.112
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JELK!!! Bullseye!

All this "you should have known better, you in the big city" bravado seems an attempt to justify what you all deep-down know is a very messed up situation.

Call it what it is.

Pointing the finger anywhere other than at the thieves is cowardly. You can't bear to look dysfunction in the eye and say "I choose to live in and love what is a very screwed up city”.

You're making excuses for social aberration.

Paulj

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*********quotes*************** **
"most people know not to leave a car unlocked or bicycle sitting idle"

"Don't leave your stuff out in the open if you value it."

"he basically left the bikes out there to the public. "

The bikes..... were in his fcuking GARAGE!

leave your bike on a sidewalk and I understand the attitude.

this was on private property. Yeah, we all know about street sense, but according to your logic if I dont put a padlock on my neck I should expect my head to be missing in the morning.

those who make excuses: thats no way to live!I've seen almost every major city and state in the union and let me tell you, and it most *definately* does not happen 'everywhere', except maybe in your mind to justify the crap you put up with... I used to get on a certain city-loving member of this board about his attitudes about crime but you know what? as I age in this place where a stolen car gets a roll-of-the-eyes from the precinct desk, and my 911 call reporting being SHOT AT got a 'what do you want me to do about it? go to the precinct', I understand why the population is shrinking. Crime is a *huge* factor as to why the city is stagnant, and the lackadaisical attitude toward what actually *was* a felony theft just helps contribute.

it's fcuked up. Not many people from 'normal' places are willing to tolerate it. If you're not pre-disposed to be a detroitophile thats in love from the get-go, you probably dont wanna touch the place with a ten-foot pole, and those that embrace the culture of stealing, shooting, and hate just serve to make it worse. The phrase 'cut off your nose to spite your face' comes to mind as I watch you convince outsiders who wish to create jobs here to 'get the hell out & dont let the door hit you in the ass'

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, if I'm not mistaken, the garage door was OPEN. In other words, still open to the public. If thieves have access to goods, they will find ways to steal it, even if it's "on your property."

I've seen cases where people who park their cars "on their property" have their hubcaps stolen or their windows smashed with the radios gone or all four wheels disappeared (sometimes including the entire car missing!). Thieves take these items to sell them on the black market. You are not getting any sympathies from me. Yes, it's lawlessness, but it's also reality.

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on June 22, 2006)

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on June 23, 2006)

Paulj

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Their neighbors won't feel the slightest sympathy other than he should have known better"

Nope. your neighbors might not, but most would...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2340
Posted From: 4.229.105.89
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who thinks this is just a Detroit problem has their head up their ass. It happens in the burbs just as often as Detroit.

10 years ago my neighbor in St. Clair Shores had her lawn mower stolen, by leaving it on her front lawn while she went to the bathroom. Only 5 minutes and it was gone.

Shit like that happens everywhere!

Paulj

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the reality you justify, not the one most people want to live in.

"yeah welcome to detroit. dont like it? get the hell out."

Just make sure you throw the lightswitch if you're the last one to leave

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2699
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell it like it is, Gistok.

Thecarl

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone who thinks this is just a Detroit problem has their head up their ass. It happens in the burbs just as often as Detroit.

no one is foolish enough, gistok, to believe that "it happens in the burbs just as often as detroit," except maybe yourself.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, carl, crime does not exist in the suburbs. Wrong. In Evanston where I attend school, bike thefts are the #1 burglary items. Evanston is a suburb outside Chicago. Crime doesn't exist if you live out in the boonies, like you, your wife and the animals.

Paulj

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not just a detroit problem. it *is* a cultural problem of the disenfranchised of our society who more often than not are concentrated in urban areas. I can definately sympathise with that part, but not other folks justifying the freaking *theft* of someones stuff.

would you believe many people, in rural parts of teh country, leave their keys in their cars & their front doors unlocked?

Do some of them get stolen from? sure! there's that element in any part of american society.

Is it justified and embraced by the rest of the neighborhood? hell no.

Ltorivia, go ahead and laugh at those that live & enjoy the 'boonies', and we'll continue to laugh right back at those that embrace & justify crime amongst their neighbors.. And before you draw any conclusions, I too live in the city but, I believe I should do my part to make it a better place.

(Message edited by paulj on June 23, 2006)

Thecarl

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, carl, crime does not exist in the suburbs. Wrong. In Evanston where I attend school, bike thefts are the #1 burglary items. Evanston is a suburb outside Chicago. Crime doesn't exist if you live out in the boonies, like you, your wife and the animals.

1. ltorivia, i challenge you to show me where i stated "crime does not exist in the suburbs." once you establish this, then you can attempt to prove me "wrong."

2. if acrylic paperweights were the #1 burglary item in evanston, what would that prove?

3. the rate of crime in detroit is much higher than that of the suburbs, and also of most major cities. i was, in fact, recently surprised to learn that the murder rate in detroit is roughly 3 times greater than that of n.y.c.

4. i don't live in the "boonies," as you assert, but facts seem to matter very little to you.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, you should have went to U of M. You wouldn't have had to worry about your bike being stolen because we all know that no crime occurs in Ann Arbor.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter because it was a joke, carl.

Paul, I know you are idealistic, but people are trying to work, eat, live and survive on a daily basis. If you try to save the world, you will not only get people at the government level who will ignore you, you will also be dead meat.

My two cents.

Paulj

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it really idealistic to expect that something thats left in my garage for 25 minutes is not public property?

Is it not barbaric to expect the opposite?

I again argue that 90% of the country doesn't follow your idea of social norms, but encourage you to enjoy living on that outer fringe. just dont expect the same people to want to come over & invest in your community after they get their stuff stolen & are told 'tough luck, dummy' by thir neighbors. and please pardon me for striving for something better than bottom-of-the-barrel.

Thecarl

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It doesn't matter because it was a joke, carl.

super funny: AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

there, you got your laugh.

Thecarl

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is it really idealistic to expect that something thats left in my garage for 25 minutes is not public property?

it's idealistic to think that ltorivia is coherent. challenge her and she'll peel like a banana. keep up the good fight, my friend!

Paulj

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im not so much challenging a person, as I am a thought process. It makes me mad that not only do people accept that living like barbarians is OK, they wear it proudly on their chest like a badge of (dis)honor.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2656
Posted From: 69.221.71.214
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, honest people aren't "tempted" by open doors.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 925
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it happen that privileged people steal, too--if they can get away with it?

Thecarl

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Could it happen that privileged people steal, too--if they can get away with it?

kenneth lay. make your point.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tongue-in-cheek. Still, they didn't get away with it, although they'll still free, pending appeal...

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'm sick of "bad experience happened to me in the city of Detroit because I don't know how to handle myself in the city of Detroit" stories on this forum.

No offense, and I feel bad that Dmb had bikes stolen, but seriously...

If you leave a bike out in NYC, Chicago, Detroit or any other major American city for 30 mintues expect to not have it on your hands anymore.

Honestly, I don't think detroityes.com is the place to tell about your stolen bikes that were left unattended, or a bad experience you had when a bum shouted at your grandmother as you walked down a shady road, etc.... Bums will shout at grandmothers, and bikes will be stolen if they aren't chained down or locked away.

That said, feel free to visit Back Alley Bikes on Tuesdays, and/or Mondays to earn a free bike, and do a positive thing for the community [unlike bike theft... in fact, Back Alley Bikes is like the opposite of bike theft].

backalleybikes.org

Also, everyone lock up your bike.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2341
Posted From: 4.229.105.89
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the tone, it looks like somebody's off their blood pressure meds tonight...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2125
Posted From: 216.203.223.65
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry about your loss DMB...

I've left my garage unlocked more times than I care to think of... perhaps I deserve to have my bike ripped off too.

Quote:
Pointing the finger anywhere other than at the thieves is cowardly. You can't bear to look dysfunction in the eye and say "I choose to live in and love what is a very screwed up city”.

You're making excuses for social aberration."

I choose to live in and love what is a very screwed up country, where a considerable percent of the population voted for a failed businessman who, along with a band of watergate era criminals, conned some of us into a war based on lies...
2500 dead and counting...billions of dollars of debt charged to us and our kids...lots of people EVERYWHERE making excuses for criminal behavior.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 930
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yawn!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2657
Posted From: 69.221.71.214
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh geez, since some wish to go for an incredible stretch and blame President Bush for the climate that lead to a stolen bike in Detroit, how about pointing out that Detroit is heavily Democrats, Wayne County is run by a Democrat, and Michigan's Governor is a Democrat. Surely they all share the blame for the climate that lead to a stolen bike in Detroit.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a cabal with Ford, GM, and DCX going around stealing bikes to bolster sagging vehicle sales. And Bush knows about this and looks the other way. [The victims would still probably buy Hondas or Toyotas anyway.]

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1286
Posted From: 84.162.37.16
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry dude. I used to drive my truck in my back yard, shut the gate, let my dogs out and then I would take the groceries in. I frequently left the garage door open or the lawn mower in the back yard, but my sweet little Artemus was always left with what ever was unattended. He did a good job watching over things for 4 years.

I have heard rumor that one of our forumers watched his neighbor's car get broken into and did not do anything about it, so I guess you can't count on neighbors to call the cops either. I had a neighbor call me when someone was peeking in our front windows. There had been a bunch of breakins during the day and his house was hit the day before. He was standing in his front yard on the phone with me, watching the guy try to get my windows open. My dog scared the guy so bad, that he fell into our thorny bushes, and them jumped up and ran away. I would have love to have seen that. Artemus is scarey when he is in a dark house. You just can't see him, ask Lurker, he saw Artie in action one night when we were not at home. Artemus is a bit over the top in Germany, he already has a reputation as a punk. point? Get a dog. Even a little beagle is a deterant, and you get a best friend in the deal.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 70.236.173.174
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dmb, do not let folks minimize your loss or blame it on you. To have someone break into your house, car or garage, whether locked or unlocked, feels like a violation. One should expect not to have to guard one's property 24/7 for fear that someone will take it.

I can understand the feeling that things are getting worse and maybe it's time to leave. However, I'm sure that if you feel this way, you must have other neighbors that feel similarly. If so, perhaps the best thing you can do is organize something with your neighbors. Schedule a meeting with your local community relations officer, for example. More than once, if necessary. Find out if others have information on those who have been responsible for these crimes. Become empowered and don't let a few idiots ruin your neighborhood for you!

Yes, crime is a fact of life in the US, but that doesn't mean that you or anyone else have to accept it.

Supersport

Post Number: 10218
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe,

At first I thought you were talking about the incident I witnessed, but then realized that none of your facts are correct.

Cafe

Post Number: 1287
Posted From: 84.162.37.16
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said it was a rumor not a fact.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1653
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS - what did you witness?

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2126
Posted From: 66.2.148.132
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cafe has a good point. I have a dog, which means anyone wanting to enter my open garage has to tiptoe past her...
Reality is my dog would jump on any potential thieves and lick them to death...but a dog is a great security device.
Making excuses for criminal behavior is rampant both locally and nationally...

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 207.148.213.218
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George W. Bush will not be stopped by a dog - he will continue to steal your bikes anyway!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 936
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While theft does happen in the suburbs (it was be stupid to think it doesn't). You're not going to get as many tresspassing onto someone else's property to steal their property crimes as you do in Detroit.

You'll also be able to file a police report.

Anyone here who grew up in the suburbs knows that we left toys, bikes, big wheels, etc laying all over the front and back lawns all the time. Maybe once did a kid's bike get stolen. Maybe once did some dad's snowblower get stolen.

Talking to the guys building the Staples I've found out that they've had over four thousand dollars worth of equipment stolen off the site. That just shouldn't happen, construction crews should be able to build something without their stuff getting jacked. But not in Detroit.

My parent's neighbors had one of those little plastic play houses for their kids in their backyard, should they have dragged it back into the garage every time someone wasn't outside? No, because that just doesn't happen all that much in the suburbs.

While we're all talking about a bike, there was a guy who got carjacked and shot in the back three times last night. I'm sorry, but you used to be able to get mugged or carjacked and give up the money, cell phone and car and get outta there without getting shot. Lives don't seem to be all that cherished anymore, why should we think that anyone should care about property... just disgusting.

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but a dog is a great security device

How true... Most theives don't want attention drawn to themselves. The OP was in his house, near a window facing the garage when somdbody rode up on their raggety bikes, left them, and took his. A noisy dog would have at least alerted him that something was up. Problem with a dog though, is most people tend to think they are barking at nothing and ignore them. If Fido is having a fit, it's best to check and see why.

Then again, some people will steal anything. I was working a job once where one of my crew left an old beat up drywall trowel on the front lawn. He'd been using it as a dust pan to pick up broken glass. Went back to get it a few minutes later, Gone. Doesn't equate to a bike of any kind, wasn't worth anything other than what it was being used for, but it still sucks to have your stuff taken.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think most [of the critical] people are blaming Dmb for his/her loss, but this would not have likely happened had he/she kept the garage door closed.

Can everyone agree that a bike, unlocked or uncovered, in plain view is much more likely to be stolen than a locked bike, or a bike in a closed garage?

The length of time being 25 minutes is inconsequential. Anything can be stolen in 2 minutes if it is left unguarded.

When I owned a car in the city I used a club every time that I parked, and some people commented upon that as being sad, or overly cautious. It was really just a simple way to prevent theft.

I didn't mind using the club, and I don't mind using a lock and chain on my bike now.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, common sense dictates that in Detroit you need to watch your shit.

The issue is that it's hard to attract people to a city that's hemorrhaging people when you suggest they and their things are under constant seige. It's a quality of life issue, and for people who aren't able to comfortably live in those conditions it is simply an undesirable way to live. When it's stated that anything not bolted down or locked up can be expected to be taken within two minutes, don't be surprised that people aren't flocking to move here and that those here are fleeing by the thousands.

Machoken

Post Number: 1339
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still shocked that you all keep your bikes in the garage. Bikes have got to be one of the easiest things to steal, considering how quickly the thief can get away. Even if they are locked up, they are still often fairly easy to steal.

When I bought my bike (again, I'm talking about a mid-range bike here, not a high-end bike), I heard a lot of advice about *not* leaving your bike locked up outside or in your garage. Putting it in the house is best, and some even said that putting it in your basement was not a good idea - it should be kept in your living space - in your bedroom or living room. That advice may be a bit over the top, but seriously folks if you want to keep your bike keep it in the house. It's a no-brainer.

And I'm *not* excusing the thieves. Just stressing that precautions are necessary no matter where you are. I wouldn't leave my bike outside if I lived in Detroit, Birmingham, or Iron frigging Mountain.

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 148.61.97.101
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this, the Special Olympics of threads? Bicycle theft has NOTHING to do with Detroit -- bikes get stolen everywhere. It doesn't matter if you're in Holland, Mich. (where I've had several bikes stolen) or the toughest ghettohood in the world, if you leave a bicycle unsecured and unattended, it's gonna get stolen.

So far, think Rasputin's post has been the most on-point.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So far, think Rasputin's post has been the most on-point"

Good thinking. Might as well make that the city's motto: "Detroit - Who Gives a Fuck?" Gee, I wonder why 15,000 people per year are leaving the city.

Paulj

Post Number: 386
Posted From: 144.160.5.25
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MC5 - bike theft isn't a detroit-issue, but the attitudes discussed are.

While it sucks the bikes were stolen, I agree that the owner has a responsibility to secure his/her stuff.

At the same time the excuse-the-criminal attitude is hugely a detroit issue. The first two responses to this thread are indicative of the attitudes that people have about crime in this town. The same folks will cry their eyes out to you about the economic problems detroit has, but fail to link the two.

Of course bikes can be stolen anywhere. Of course the 'welcome to detroit, stupid' attitude is not the be-all, end-all cause of Detroit's problems... But if you think this is the special olympics of threads because it has no bearing on detroit, I suggest you might need your helmet tightened up a bit as well. Property crime is a huge reason folks won't move here, as well as a major excuse given for insurance redlining. Crime & Cost of Living, can anyone else come up with 2 issues that rank higher on the list of reasons people move out?

If you don't take pride in the place you live, who will?

Mc5rules

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 148.61.97.101
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Hockey_player, it's not "Detroit - Who Gives a Fuck?" It's "You Got Your Bike Stolen and People Are Now Trying to Turn It Into a Symbol of How Detroit is a Lawless Wasteland That Is Going To Hell, Even Though That Kind of Stuff Happens Everywhere - Who Gives a Fuck?"

I'm telling ya, these are lessons I learned growing up in Holland. You have to put your things away and lock 'em up. I live in a pretty crime-free rural area, and I lock my stuff up. I think Susanarosa's depiction of some suburban wonderland where kids can leave their toys outside 24/7 and not ever have any of them stolen bears little resemblance to reality.

Am I excusing the thief? No! Getting your bike stolen sucks bigtime! But the fact is, people in general are assholes and steal things sometimes.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 937
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Susanarosa's depiction of some suburban wonderland where kids can leave their toys outside 24/7 and not ever have any of them stolen bears little resemblance to reality

Oh but it is the reality of my childhood in Royal Oak. I'm sorry Holland wasn't as idyllic.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2129
Posted From: 66.2.148.132
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alarmists tell us that 15,000 people may be leaving the city, but there's four new houses on my block (and one on the way), twenty some new condos on the next block....and people living in all of them.
and sorry, in the summertime my bike stays in the garage.
My house has enough clutter.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 69.209.138.56
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just for a note, I lived in the suburbs at my parents house for 6 years and I left my bike in the open garage...everyday. In fact, it's still there.

and Spaceboykelly - FYI, that lock and chain isn't going to help you with regards to yur bike. We had 2 stolen last summer that were both chained and locked.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"alarmists tell us that 15,000 people may be leaving the city"

Alarmists is another word for census takers. I guess four new houses proves that data wrong as well.

Supersport

Post Number: 10219
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

SS - what did you witness?

Some dude taking a dump behind a dumpster at the gas station.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 892
Posted From: 68.42.174.187
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see down and out "brutha's" riding expensive bikes all day. Go figure.

Cafe

Post Number: 1289
Posted From: 84.162.13.142
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS...how is that anything like what I said?

"I have heard rumor that one of our forumers watched his neighbor's car get broken into and did not do anything about it" Is what I said. Nothing about a dump or anyone behind a dumpster. How could you have gotten that confused with something you were a witness too?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6034
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a guilty conscience.

FLINCH!

Warriorfan

Post Number: 412
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think Susanarosa's depiction of some suburban wonderland where kids can leave their toys outside 24/7 and not ever have any of them stolen bears little resemblance to reality.

I grew up Downriver and we routinely left our toys laying in the front yard all day without people being home, we even left our garage door open all day while we were inside the house. Never once had anything stolen. Same thing with cars, they were often parked in the driveway overnight with the windows down in the summertime, never once had a car stolen.

Yes, theft happens everywhere, even in the burbs. But if you had your bike stolen in Holland, you could call the police and have them take a report, you could probably even get them to drive around looking for it for 20 minutes or so. THAT'S the difference between Holland and Detroit, not to mention the fact that the property crime rate per capita in Holland as well as in most of the metro suburbs is a fraction of what it is in Detroit.

Mc5rules

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 148.61.84.97
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt that any cop anywhere is going to drive around for 20 minutes looking for a stolen bike. I'm just trying to be a voice of reality here -- some people seem to think that the suburbanites get firemen rescuing kittens while Detroiters get stabbed in the eye for trying to look at a rainbow.

The point is, sometimes bikes are stolen in Detroit, Allen Park, Holland, Saugatuck, Marquette, Lansing and Bay City. And sometimes bikes AREN'T stolen in those places. And cops in any of those places couldn't give less of a shit. People are making this out to be a DETROIT issue needlessly. And to an outsider (which, let's be frank, is what I am), it sounds silly on both sides of the argument.

I'm not saying crime doesn't matter. I'm just saying I'm not going buy the argument that a dude getting some bikes stolen is emblematic of anything other than the fact that people generally suck sometimes. Sorry!

Meliss
Username: Meliss

Post Number: 223
Posted From: 209.69.34.80
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is the the bikes were stolen out of his GARAGE. It doesn't matter if the door was open or not.

To all of you who think this isn't a big deal, are you okay with someone walking into your house or garage and taking whatever they want simply because the door was open?

Meliss

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS. I don't care that this is common in Detroit, it is not acceptable nor should it be. It is not any more acceptable than someone stealing my car or breaking into houses.

Why are we accepting unacceptable and inappropriate behavior as just part of life? It may be common but that doesn't mean we can't be upset or outraged over it.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you leave a bike out in NYC, Chicago, Detroit or any other major American city for 30 mintues expect to not have it on your hands anymore.

Honestly, I don't think detroityes.com is the place to tell about your stolen bikes that were left unattended, or a bad experience you had when a bum shouted at your grandmother as you walked down a shady road, etc.... Bums will shout at grandmothers, and bikes will be stolen if they aren't chained down or locked away.

Thank you Spaceboykelly. This thread is getting really dumb. Of course it sucks that Dmb was a victim of petty theft. But the assertion that people live in Detroit because they are "keeping it real" or like crime is fucking ridiculous. People are moving to Detroit because they enjoy the positives of the city and are willing to deal with the drawbacks - including some crime.

This wasn't even a really serious crime, it is no reason to flee to the "safety of suburbia." Let me say it again YES, people don't move to Detroit to feel utterly safe. But if they didn't feel that themselves and their possessions are safe most of the time most wouldn't consider it. These sorts of incidents are isolated and in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal (they are just some fucking bikes!). This is not "tolerating crime" it is accepting the realities of living in the big city.

Everyplace a person chooses to live has costs - be it a suburb, the country or the city - sometimes the costs are in dollar signs sometimes not. If you think the good outweighs the bad WHEREVER YOU LIVE then you're fine and happy to live there. There is no utopia, no PERFECT PLACE for everyone to live in. It may be incomprehendable to some suburbanites that middle/upper class Detroiters (who could live ANYWHERE) put up with crime (i.e. they refuse to move) but it is also incomprehendable to some Detroiters that suburbanites put up with the homogeneity, blandness and boredom of the surbuban environoment. Neither sides are right or wrong, it's simply a matter of preferences and priorities. We are all not the same and never will be.

Sorry for the long rant.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I seriously doubt that any cop anywhere is going to drive around for 20 minutes looking for a stolen bike. I'm just trying to be a voice of reality here -- some people seem to think that the suburbanites get firemen rescuing kittens while Detroiters get stabbed in the eye for trying to look at a rainbow"

Actually, suburban cops routinely drive around looking for stolen bikes. Eastpointe recently had a racial profiling lawsuit filed against it recently precisely because its police drove around stopping kids on bikes, checking randomly (and not-so-randomly) to see if the bikes they were on were stolen. They did this hundreds of times.

You can fantasize all day that there's no difference between the suburbs and Detroit, but all accounts and facts and data prove quite otherwise.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You can fantasize all day that there's no difference between the suburbs and Detroit, but all accounts and facts and data prove quite otherwise.

Hockey_player, is right. They are very different. Detroit way is better! The suburbs suck!!! ;)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 680
Posted From: 67.38.12.236
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that but even if you lock it up it might get stolen as well. Had the experiance my selve. Sorry to hear your problem. Wait till you get a few cars stolen.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2130
Posted From: 216.203.223.99
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guess four new houses proves that data wrong as well"
It does on my street. The population is up by 25 percent on my block and 100 percent on the next.
Thousands of people have been leaving the city yearly for most of my life. (In some circles, that's called "cutting and running") And hundreds of suburban do-nothing dinks have been telling me how bad things are in my city for most of my life too.
I'm still here, and so, fortunately, is my bike.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2131
Posted From: 216.203.223.99
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, and kudos to backalleybikes for doing something positive for kids, bikes, and the environment in Detroit.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are our cars safe in the garage, or do we have to keep them in the house to keep them safe too?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Killswitch Jfre66_77, Killswitch.

Jelk

Post Number: 3817
Posted From: 69.209.191.214
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said DRM.

When I was 14, I had my bike stolen from outside the Grosse Pointe Library. It was locked up and the thief (no that's a generalization I'm sure the human being who took my bike was a disenfranchised member of Diaspora whose actions were no doubt a revolutionary direct action designed to strike a blow against the injustice of a Capitalist, racist, classist system that allows one man to own a bike while another is forced to walk) took the lock and chain with him. I mention that because the police officer taking my statement didn't believe the bike was locked up. However, he added a relevant detail; even if your bike wasn't locked up, it is still a crime to take it.

Yes bikes are stolen everywhere. Yes, Dmb made an error in judgment. I don't see anyone discounting those two facts however, that doesn't change the fact that someone stole his/her property. By accepting that as the norm or the victim's fault. Hey ltwhatever didn't the raped girl knowingly wear that short skirt, showing her legs and no doubt arousing the rapist. There is a strong correlation between incidents of rape and warm weather because, criminologists belief people wear less clothing when the weather warm, ergo following your logic women in short skirts deserve to be raped.

However, I don't share that belief because I am a civilized human being and I don't think any woman ever deserves to be raped. Just as I don't believe anyone deserves to have their bike stolen, even if they left the garage open.

Now having said all that there is an annoying Dear Diary aspect to the original post and if you all piled on Dmb for going Dear Diary, I wouldn't have much to say about this. You all took some kind of sick glee over the theft of Dmb's property and that's just not right.

There's an old joke that Jews refuse to recognize the divinity of Jesus and Baptists refuse to recognize each other at the liquor store. Add to that that the Campus Crusade for Detroit refuses to recognize victims of crime, if that crime takes place in Detroit.

Paulj

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 144.160.98.31
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my beef is the attitude to the crime. The crime itself (in this case) was fairly petty. The reaction to it, however, is the same reaction we heard when the girl was shot downtown during superbowl.

My point being reguardless to the severity of the crime (and this time, although technically felonious, you all are right to say its just a biek theft), the same crowd coems out & goes 'So what? this is detroit! dont like it? Leave, cuz I dont feel sorry for you!'

It's that attitude that disgusts me even more that the dirtbags that stole the bikes. Take a half ounce of pride in the place you live and your status as a living, breathing human being.

(Message edited by paulj on June 23, 2006)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj, In my neighborhood (and many others) crime is not tolerated, which lessens the crime but won't stop it from happening entirely. Neighbors are tight and look out for one another.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just looking at the Uniform Crime Report available on the Michigan State Police website, and according to their data, crime is not the same everywhere. Hmm, imagine that.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it odd that the "blame the victim" response is so prevalent. I mean, if anything, people who live in Detroit should reject that. Detroit's been so beaten down by outsiders who blame the victims of urban ills, who say, "Fuck it, it's not my problem. That's their problem, because they're stupid enough to live there." You'd think, or at least hope, that people in Detroit would rise above such behavior.

Anyway, I don't think this thread is stupid. I think it's uncovering some deep-seated attitudes and holding them up for examination, whether I agree with them or not.

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 68.43.13.13
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Campus Crusade for Detroit"

Best name I've heard for the forum in a long time!!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's crime statistics are skewed on the low side for property crimes because the victims know in advance what the response will be, especially from DPD and the DA. So, theft victims rarely bother to report them.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 67.38.28.107
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for your loss Dmb. I would contact the police and ask them to talk with Ras. I think one of his kids has a birthday coming up...

Jjw

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NYC got a lot better when the cops started ticketing for minor infractions. That is a fact! And---guess what---the citizens enjoyed the improvements, with less crime and a cleaner city. It got Guilani and Norris lots of respect in a city that is about as democratic and one can get. So, let's stop rationalizing crime and get real here. Detrot cops need to get serious and bust ass for stealing bikes, trashing neighborhoods, or whatever else it may be. I know some don't like those restrictions but I get to NYC a lot and I feel safe there walking around and I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 769
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back, the downspouts and gutters on my parents' garage were ripped down and stolen numerous times (even those on their house once). Until reading this thread, I never thought that it might been their own fault for leaving those things out there open to the public. Maybe one of them should have sat in the yard, watching.

Warriorfan

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A few years back, the downspouts and gutters on my parents' garage were ripped down and stolen numerous times (even those on their house once). Until reading this thread, I never thought that it might been their own fault for leaving those things out there open to the public. Maybe one of them should have sat in the yard, watching.

Your parents were careless and deserved to have their gutters stolen numerous times. If your parents didn't want them stolen, then they should have slept in the driveway with a gun in one hand and a pack of vicious guard dogs patrolling the perimeter of the house. Otherwise they are just asking to have their shit stolen by honest people who were tempted by the sight of their downspouts and gutters. And besides, stuff like that happens all the time in the suburbs, so it's really no big deal.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 990
Posted From: 70.236.173.174
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to leave my toys outside all the time in the city and no one ever took anything. What does that prove, besides reaffirming what I always believed as a child, that my parents bought me cheap toys?

The answer to crime is not to accept it as a fact of life, nor is the answer to move elsewhere. Because no matter where you live, the reality is that crime is not just a Detroit issue, although crime does tend to be higher in urban and/or poorer areas. If you think because you live in Xburb that you are immune from crime, then you are mistaken. The odds are that you'll get yours, too, it just might take longer.

The problem is that most people - including the thieves - don't think beyond their own personal well-being. If someone has their house broken into, they tend to think, "screw the neighborhood, I'm out of here." It's not much different than the kid who sees an unattended bicycle and thinks, "screw the owner, I'm taking it." They are both thinking the same thing - "I only care about what I want or need and I don't care about everyone else."

I personally think the above attitude is the root of most of our current social problems, and even many of our economic problems. You might not be able to change the world, but you can damn sure make your little piece of it better. Face it, the crime will eventually catch up to you. Why not take a stand and do something about it.

But hey, it's more fun to argue on an internet forum, isn't it?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York City has money.

Detroit does not.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been following this thread all week. Ltorivia485, when I read your initial statement, I was taken aback. You should be ashamed. This incident should cause absolute outrage and alarm. Incidents such as this continues to paint Black Detroiters in a bad light--even if the perp was White, Hispanic, Arab, etc. When people think Detroit, more often than not they simply think "Black"--and therein lies the problem. The problem is made even worse when people read snide, unsympathetic remarks made by actual Detroiters such as yourself. People deserve to live, visit, and work in Detroit and be left the hell alone by low-life, low-maintenance thug wannabes! Your statement is simply outrageous.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And people should use better judgement, Shave.

I would have sympathies for the man if someone stole his car radio and he had a club on the steeling wheel. In that case, the punk thief should be ashamed of themselves for breaking into other people's property. However, he intentionally left the garage door open for the public to peek and steal. He left the freaken garage door OPEN for 25 minutes! Anything could have happened. He was irresponsible, and he learned a grave lesson. This happens in the suburbs and other cities as well. You live, and move on.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter what you say any more. You have no morals or credibility. Sympathy was all the initial poster was asking of the fellow forumers. Somehow, you reasoned your way out of extending a solid understanding of his/her plight. Attitudes such as this leads to a decline in the overall quality of life issues within cities. Cities are having a hard enough time selling themselves as a place to live, work, and play. The recent and ongoing plight of cities cannot be properly summed up as a result of a racist legacy. A lot of the reasons that cities are continuing to struggle in creating a vibrant atmosphere TODAY is due to the "Little Engine That Could" syndrome. City leaders "think they can" pull the city up by its bootstraps. However, you have a heavy criminal burden that is extremely uncooperative and pulling back every step made towards progress. Better judgment, common sense, street smarts...BAH...whatever! If it is not yours, don't take it. Don't rub salt in a person's wounds.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is not yours, don't take it.

Easier said than done.

Shave, I have had stuff stolen from me in Detroit and even in Evanston (gasps! a suburb!). Did I cry about it? Yes. Did I continue to dwell on it? No. Did I move on? Yes. I learned from my mistakes. Had I not been irresponsible with my belongings, I would still have them today.

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on June 24, 2006)

Thecarl

Post Number: 815
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ltorivia,

it seems that you post all sorts of things, and if you are quoted before you can edit your post, you discount your remarks as "a joke."

shave, i'm with you on this one. severely lacking in credibility.

Jelk

Post Number: 3820
Posted From: 69.212.33.145
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok forget the short skirt, if a girl forgets to lock her door and she is raped is it her fault? If you follow ltorimoron's logic it would be.

If it's not your's don't take it is easier said than done? No not really, it is quite easy not to take someone else's stuff. You see their stuff and you say 'hey that's not mine, I will not take it.' What could be easier?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dmb was not a victim of violence. Jelk, you simply amaze me.

Someone stealing bicycles is petty compared to rape. The Detroit Police won't jump into a car and radio help if it involves bikes. They will just say "too bad, you should have protected your stuff." Now, if this is violence (which can lead to homicide), and I consider committed rape to be a very serious crime, that's a whole different story.

Again the stories don't even compare. Heck, both are in different class of offenses. Committed Rape >>>>>>>>>>>>> Stolen bicycles (sucks, but too bad).

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, people like Shave and thecarl want to think in utopian terms and not face reality. Yes, all of us wish that the stuff we leave in our front yard (and heaven forbid our garages) stay there. No one should trespass onto private property. What happened to social order? Don't people follow the Bible anymore because God said "thou shall not steal"? Why can't the neighborhood associations or local authorities do something about controlling minor crimes? The answer: we don't have the manpower (our police force continues to decrease thanks to laid-offs. Detroit is in red ink and continues to lose population so the city government has to cut back on public services. Some of our most indebted citizens have either passed away or moved elsewhere. Those who are left behind are powerless (in economic terms) and feel nothing but hopelessness. They eat, sleep, and work to survive. The best thing an individual can do is start to protect their own property, and that includes locking a bicycle before you go into the house for an extended period of time.

The moral of this story? This could have been prevented. The fact he intentionally left his garage door open does not help his case. This situation is analagous to one leaving their car door wide open with the keys in the ignition while they went inside to answer a 25-minute phone call with a friend or relative. When the man comes out, he finds his entire car gone from the driveway. When family and friends hear about the situation, they know it sucks but at the same time they know he could have prevented the situation by taking the key and locking the doors before he went inside his place. All over a freaken phone call. The thief should have not taken his car, but the man should have not left his keys irrepresonsibly in the car with the door open. My aunt would tell the man, "Are you nuts? Why would you do such a thing? You never leave your belongings unprotected even if it's for a minute!" and just continue to shake her head.

Seriously, how many folks here will do the above? Don't dare send this matter to the police districts and judges. They will be more cruel (in a life lesson way) than I am now!

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on June 24, 2006)

Jjw

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New York City has money.

Detroit does not.

-----another lame attitude. God, no wonder the city can't dig itself out of the hole. NYC has just as many if not more issues to deal with on a daily basis as Detroit. It doesn't take any more money for the cop that is all ready hired to do his or her fukking job. And.... attitudes are free. So, protect your neighborhood, report any crime you see, know your neighbors, etc. etc., etc. May not seem like much but in the long run it means a lot. And... get outraged about crime.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city rebounded in the mid- and late 1990s due to the steady expansion of the national economy and the Wall Street (or stock market) boom that took place concomitantly, as well as the precipitous drop in crime, although stubbornly high unemployment remained a local problem. Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, a former federal prosecutor, is credited by many for revitalizing Times Square and making the city more "liveable" by cracking down on crime. Changes in the worldwide economy during this time proved to be especially favorable to New York because of its highly developed transportation and communications infrastructure, as well as its massive population base. Over the course of the decade, the city's image transformed from being one of a bygone, decaying metropolis to one of the world's preeminent "global cities."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H istory_of_New_York_City_%28197 8-present%29

Paulj

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 68.232.95.16
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

continue to make excuses for the criminals. Those that have the ability to leave and dont have a deep-seated love for the city will continue to go. I'd be long gone if it wasn't for the fact that I love what I do, it takes very good care of me, and I plan to advance in this field. By my count I'd be up a car, 2 bikes, a radar detector, and thousands of dollars in motorcycle repairs from 3 tip-overs...

yeah theres crime everywhere. Some of us just dont want to experience it everyday. There really are places in this country and world where a stolen bicycle is a rare thing, even when left out in a front yard.

but go ahead and continue to tell everyone 'tough luck, we're surrounded by thieves and we like it' and see how long it takes for Detorit to overcome its economic problems. At 27, I doubt I'll live long enough to see the change myself.

Paulj

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 68.232.95.16
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm lining up to be neighbors with Northern California... Who's lining up to be neighbors with Detroit?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3476
Posted From: 69.209.176.251
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, a friend left his garage open for 5 straight days in Warren and nothing happened at all. Hell he was on vacation and no one was home. And forgot to shut the damn thing. Man, his garage was loaded with goodies. Canondale bikes, Ping golf clubs, Tama drum kit…nada. Nothing was touched. Man, when three bikes get stolen from one garage in 20 minutes it’s time to move. Sorry man.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1956
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its threads like this that make the Justification thread on HFD possible. This thread is why I started it. Blame the victim not the criminal.

Here is a link, please read it. When you are done and you start thinking about how stupid it is please re-read this thread and also re-read past threads about crime. The superbowl shooting is another great thread.

http://hotfudgedetroit.com/php BB/viewtopic.php?t=1004&start= 0

I believe crime does happen everywhere but does that make it right?

Crime is higher in Detroit then in the burbs, nobody can deny that fact but one of the reasons it is higher is because of the mentality of the folks that post on here. When Detroiters start accepting crime as a way of life and start blaming the victims of these crimes we have accepted a lower quality of living then others. If you look at crime stats for neighborhood I would bet that the neighborhoods that have lower rates have strong neighborhood associations. Those neighborhoods have decided they will not accept crime and are willing to do something about it.

When you accept crime as a way of life, you have accepted the fact that you don’t in live in a civilized society and have no problem with that.

Ltorivia485 your attitude is why wives and girlfriends stay in abusive relationships. He been working hard, he is a good man he just gets angry every once in and sometimes I just have to learn when to leave him alone. My guess is you have been in one of those relationships and that is why you believe it is the victims fault. So if one of your boyfriends beat you I would say it was justified.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 930
Posted From: 70.88.109.233
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure what makes ltorivia so obtuse...the endless references to the bible or the "life lessons" he promulgates

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Livonia, had my kids bike stolen twice in four days!

1st time from school on a Friday, another kid liked his "cool" seat and stole the whole bike.
We found out where it was, talked to the kid's dad and the P.D., and took it back.

2nd time the following Monday, garage was open and the bike was gone. P.D. called three weeks later, said come get your bike.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2717
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchant, way to go by generalizing (you too Northend) about my life. By the way, I am a female and have a healthy relationship with my parents. The analogy of abusive husbands does not even fit here. It makes your argument go down the toilet. The original poster knew that he could not leave his garage door open for extended periods of time. It's not "accepting crime as a way of life" it's more of a "I didn't use common sense approach." If I had done something similar, my parents would not have any sympathy for me! They would have thought I had lost my mind! He's gonna have to buy new (or used) mountain bikes. He will definitely learn from this experience that you cannot lay your stuff around and expect it to still be there 30 minutes later. We can babble all we want about how we should not accept crime, but we live in freaken reality, folks. People have to work two jobs in this economy, and the police force lacks money and man power to patrol the streets. People have turned to an individual approach to protecting their stuff, just by locking their belongings away and putting security on their own cars. Protect your stuff by locking the doors, and it will still be there.

Meliss

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's not "accepting crime as a way of life" it's more of a "I didn't use common sense approach."

Yea, and common sense and decency as dictates you don't take what isn't yours... or enter another person property without permission.

Your logic is still accepting something that is not acceptable behavior... regardless of the situation or "reality" as you put it.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 931
Posted From: 70.88.109.233
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ltorivia....We thank the gracious female that you are for answering the original unlucky poster with the classy "You are a fool"

my fingers going snap, snap , snap , snap, snap!!!!! as I fix my weave!

Paulj

Post Number: 396
Posted From: 68.248.72.4
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reality is only what you make it, and each person has their own version......

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you cannot lay your stuff around"

He didn't lay his stuff around the bikes were in his garage.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, the reality is racism exist so do you just accept that. So should people be able to burn a cross on your front lawn. Hell no one gets hurt, plus what the hell are you doing having a front lawn. You are basically asking for the cross to be there because you have a front lawn.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.