Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Eastern Mich Historic Preservation program « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone here been involved with Eastern Michigan's Historic Preservation courses? Are there any Detroit connections (e.g. Pres Wayne or others)?

If anyone knows, is the program respectable and worth pursuing or would I be wasting my time?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2119
Posted From: 66.2.148.159
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have friends in the HP field, for me it's just a crazy hobby.
EMU is big on administrative issues. What's your interest in HP?
Hands-on or administrative?
My best friend does very hands- on stuff, and he went to Penn, in Philadelphia.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1110
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hands-on is more appealing but administrative probably pays better

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

several of preservation wayne's members have gone through the em program (biggest in country) and have done a variety of work...many in states with a better preservation ethic than Michigan unfortunately, although there are many local too!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a few coourses that counted towards my graduate studies while in school there. It gives pretty good instruction, but it is not a Detroit based cirriculumn at all. I had instructors there teaching me like they were the experts of Detroit when really they had no clue how things worked; or even Detroit's history (pretty much Detroit's history was the riot of 1967 and nothing else notable!). Their expertise seemed to think that everyone in the city attends storefront churches, is broke, black, and uneducated. Pretty much a one dimensional view showing only sterotypes.

When I would question the teachers on some of these assumptions I was made to feel like I had no value or did not know what I was talking of even though I've pretty much lived in Detroit my whole life, and while I do aknowledge there was a riot when I was a kid, that did not ruin the city. It was pretty much white racism and general fear mongers that had a bigger role of pushing people out; and that tradition continues today, even among those who are not white, or those who were not even here in 1967.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.