Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Architect Businesses or Firms in Detroit?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lexdetroitman_07
Username: Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 74.131.204.36
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently been looking at many different college majors and architecture has caught my eye. Can anyone tell me what architecture firms or businesses may operate in Detroit and if they have any connection with the rebuilding and/or renovation of downtown Detroit. Please let me know as I would like to be a promoter/worker for Detroit's revival if I were to live there. Thanks everyone!

Lexdetroitman_07

Easydoesit
Username: Easydoesit

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 69.245.71.215
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, also, am interested in architecture as a college major. I too am interested in rebuilding and dealing with renovation in downtown Detroit. I believe I can change the face of Detroit if I had the right people to work with. Also while responding to Lexdetroitman_07's post, could someone inform me/us of some bad ass architecture firms in/around the Detroit area? Thanks too!

(Message edited by easydoesit on June 21, 2006)

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3023
Posted From: 68.73.59.28
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.yellowpages.com

Search for "architects" and narrow your search to the '313' area code.

Or, I bet an advisor at whatever college youse are at could help.

Ksquared
Username: Ksquared

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 24.147.109.94
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an architecture student and about to start my finaly year. There are many very good firms in Detroit and the metro area, the big ones are Albert Kahn Associates http://www.albertkahn.com/fami ly.cfm
Smithgroup http://www.smithgroup.com/
Rossetti http://www.rossetti.com/flash. html
Yamasaki Associates http://www.yamasakiinc.com/ind ex.html
Gensler http://www.gensler.com/index.h tml
Much of the rest in the Ragion
http://www.architectsusa.com/s earch/MI10-1.htm

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 12.148.42.25
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What schools have you been looking at, if any? I attend the UDM SOA and can give you info on the program. I am also interning at SmithGroup right now. They have done a slue of renovation work around town. It also seems that the architecture business in Detroit may grow in the years to come.

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 69.216.155.225
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an architecture grad. While architecture is a prestigious profession, understand that you will work long hours for less pay for a good portion of your career. When all your friends who went into accounting or marketing or just installing cable or selling cell phones are making a crap load more than you, remember that I told you so.

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 796
Posted From: 198.45.19.39
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an architecture grad / + post-grad - A nice hobby, but find another major.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 63.171.81.130
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mcintoshporis.com/
http://www.thekraemeredge.com/

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1771
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hamilton-anderson.c om

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1547
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to think I wanted to be an architect. Then I realized I was better at math and science than drawing, so I became a structural engineer. You don't have to go to school as long, you don't have as many sleepless nights, and you make better money. If this sounds like you, consider engineering as a major.

Oh yeah, and if you get in with the right firm, you still get to fix up the old buildings.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 885
Posted From: 69.212.224.94
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only go into architecture if you have the love for it. you will spend one of the highest tuiton rates, spend some of the longest hours, have some of the toughest reviews/tests, have a more difficult time getting a job afterwards, make less than most professional degree recipients make, spend three more years interning, and then have to spend a lot of money to take a really long test.

now, i'm not saying it's not rewarding, because it is for those people who love the field. but know what to expect: it's an all-encompasing degree. you spend a lot of time on construction, engineering, design, psychology, technology, computers, art, urban planning, graphics, history, etc. don't expect that you'll be able to spend most of your time on one facet of that for a while. and don't expect that you'll be doing what you want for a long time after school either.

all firms mentioned above are heavily involved with rebuilding detroit, with the exception of yamasaki (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, i just haven't seen them involved down here in a long time.) also check out aia (american institute of architects) detroit chapter. they list all firms in detroit and give out honor awards for some of the outstanding projects each year. http://www.aiami.com/chapter_d etroit_home.htm it tends to go without saying, but if a firm is located in the city, they tend to concentrate most of their work in the city.

-rsa [RockStArchitect, UDM SOA alum.]

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DMart & Panson, I too am an architecture grad...and I agree. Nice hobby...marry someone with money!

Rsa

Post Number: 886
Posted From: 69.212.224.94
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ quinn. agreed.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 69.242.223.67
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite quotes:

"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Llyod Wright.

Danindc

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What to do about FLW's shitty waterproofing details, though?

Panson

Post Number: 797
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, not to be entirely negative... You will in fact spend more time at studio than your classmates will at the library. However, you can drink most of the time while you're there so at least you don't realize you just spent 10-hrs straight sitting at the drawing board (assuming kids these days even know what a drawing board is).

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 852
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you really want to spend time in the studio drinking go into landscape architecture. damn those kids seemed to have a great time at school.
I'm still jealous!

Easydoesit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what major would it go under if my job description consisted of drawing a particular building and getting retailers, for example, macy's or nordstrom, to occupy those buildings? or perhaps, getting national retailers to occupy buildings, period? excuse me if thats an idiotic question. hopefully you all know what I'm talking about. Im going to be a high school senior once the school year starts and i need know who what category this field would go under... just in case i need to change my schedule...

Panson

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Work towards an MBA or Master of Real Estate Development. Unfortunately pretty pictures have nothing (or very very little) to do with a retailer's site selection process. Money & demographics control those decisions.

Good luck young fella.

Easydoesit

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you very much. seriously, that helped out alot. i have always wondered what that was called... and now i know! everybody... you better watch out because once i get with the right people for a renewal/ revival for downtown detroit... oh boy... detroit WILL be the most technology efficient, attractive, posh, and exciting place to be in America! im soo excited.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1947
Posted From: 70.227.12.109
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thank you very much. seriously, that helped out alot. i have always wondered what that was called... and now i know! everybody... you better watch out because once i get with the right people for a renewal/ revival for downtown detroit... oh boy... detroit WILL be the most technology efficient, attractive, posh, and exciting place to be in America! im soo excited.

Ahhh, the optimism of youth, before college and the business world has beat the living crap out of them.

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,

I married another Architect Grad. We consider ourselves near starving artists.

Ksquared

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 24.147.109.94
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When looking at schools, look at these,
http://www.naab.org/cal_cat172 4/cal_cat_list.htm
Those are all the undergrad accredited programs in the country. You want to get an degree from an accredited school, it is required to get a liscense, but you can always go to an accredited grad program, if you want to take that long. In my own case, I'm about to start my fifth year at Wentworth Inst. of Tech. and the way it works at that school is I can start taking my exams as early as 1 year after graduation. When you go to visit the schools, ask about their co-op program and try to meet with their IDP Coordinator, so you can find learn all you can about it.

Rsa

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 69.212.42.38
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let me clarify on ksquared post: out of high school you go into an architecture program. not all architecture programs are accredited by the naab or aia. [for instance, both msu and cranbrook have architecture programs that are not accredited.] if you have any intention of eventually becoming licensed as an architect, you must take a program that is accredited.

the licensing program is different for every state. if you want to practice in multiple states, you must take each corresponding test (altho some states use the same test/have reciprocity). [new york and california have the most intensive test.]

after you graduate, you must complete what is called the IDP (intern development program). this is a kind-of check list of hours you must complete, in every section of the field/test, before you can apply to take the licensing exam. it's done by hours, but it usually takes 3 years.
then you can start taking the 9 different sections of the licensing exam.

in michigan, you cannot accomplish what ksquared is talking about. there is a stipulation that states you cannot take the exam until 8 years after you begin an architecture program, regardless of how fast you complete school, the idp, or level of education. but, as i said before, it is different for every state and my knowledge is primarily for the state of michigan.

-rsa (RockStArchitect)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you also might want to consider urban planning, or urban design.

you also could work towards an associates degree in architectural drafting, or illustration, then tranfer to a 4 year college for a degree in urban planning or business.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is a serious bummer...I've always harbored a secret desire to go back to school and become an architect. Maybe I'll use that as a retirement plan! LOL

Ksquared

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 68.162.232.34
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, for clarifying RSA, I could have been more clear.
There has been some recent changes to IDP. You can start loging hours while you are on co-op (directly from NCARB, http://ncarb.org/idp/idpentry. html). Also, you can now start taking parts of the test once you have accumulated 250 units. It is not necessarily true about the 8 years after you start a architecture program (however, I am 100% positive since I go to school in Boston), also being NCARB certified, you can apply for a license in any state without going through a long process, and only have to take a extra exam if that state has one, such as California. You can also do case studies out of the Emerging Professional's Companion with your IDP Mentor, you receive 1 unit and your Mentor receives 1 cont. ed. credit.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that everyone, at one time, considers becoming and Architect. Everyone thinks it is a cool job, and it is!

Fringe Benefit: Chicks love Archtects. Cosmopolitan runs a survey every couple of years asking women who they want to bed. Architects are right up there with Astronauts, and movie stars. It must be the black turtlenecks and funny looking glasses.

But it's not easy, If it was easy, contractors, lawyers, and bean counters could do it.

Rsa

Post Number: 888
Posted From: 69.212.42.38
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jfried has a good point. they do offer bachelors degrees in architecture (non-professional degrees). i think they're bachelor of science in architecture? [you'd need to take a masters program in architecture after this degree if you had inentions on eventually becoming licensed.]

this masters program might interest you: http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/udm50.aspx

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 63.241.158.33
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was a successful Architect. When I told him I was accepted into Architecture school, his comment was: "I am so sorry".

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.85.149.176
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to contribute. I attained my architecture degree from Lawrence Tech 5 years ago. I've been working a cash register at Barnes & Noble ever since. I still send out resumes, completely aware that it's too late but have no idea what else my useless degree may be good for. I also received the same sage warnings when I was 19 but went ahead and did it all anyway. SAVE ME!

In a more constructive response check out www.aiami.com - the official Michigan chapter of the American Insitute of Architects, or www.architectsusa.com. Both have extensive lists of firms and architects in the state, and often links to their sites.

And again - SAVE ME!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 934
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, how many with Urban Planning degrees are running the tills at B&N?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1599
Posted From: 66.238.170.50
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many folks with Urban Planning degrees are running around DetY!?

I don't think an Urban Planning grad will have any better luck than an architect grad. Right now finding an urban planning job, at least in Michigan, is like getting water from a rock. There's plenty of stuff available in the DC area, California and elsewhere in planning, but nothing really in the Midwest.

Don't plan on making any money as a planner either. They tend to make even less money than architects.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread makes me happy...and sad. Happy that there are people out here who feel the way I do, but sad that we all feel that way. I'm a grad of the UDM-SOA, and except for a couple of months at a small firm that went belly-up, and a year and a half at Home Depot, I've spent the past 6 years as nothing more than a CAD monkey. The posters above are right on target - you have to have the love, and the will to sacrifice and suffer until you can find your way to a firm where you can grow. For every one "cool" firm doing loft renovations and hip bar interiors, there are 20 doing spec office parks in Novi. Guess which one I'm at now? I sent out 50 resumes a couple of years ago, and got two interviews. I ended up at Pulte Homes drawing vinyl-clad McMansions for two years, only because it was better than selling carpet at the Depot.

My plan is to quit dragging ass on my IDP paperwork, and stick it out for a while until I can get licensed. Then go back to school for some planning and development courses, and see what I can do on my own. I hope to partner up with some other archy friends from college (or maybe some day we can band together to form DetroitYES! Architects and Planners, LLC).

In response to Quinn - got me a mechanical engineer for a wife, and she's my sugar mama!

And if Bob Kraemer is out there reading this thread, I reaffirm my comment from a while back that I will work for a 16th floor loft in the Broderick, facing Comerica. No other benefits or salary required!

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 63.241.158.33
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a tough business, but can be rewarding if you stick it out. Some schools produce more 'hireable' students than others. I've found that UD-M and LTU students can be put to work (yes, on drafting/cad) immediately and be productive, while UM students took a bit more time. When I was there, UM pushed a lot more theory than the other local schools.

Architectural education can be a great springboard to other professions. Real estate development, law, engineering, construction management are but a few areas that architectural educations come in handy. Bottom line is that it's up to you to make something of it.

When I was in school, these other professions were seen by the architectural professors and students as 'unclean'. Their puritanical attitude was a disservice to those students that found themselves out of work upon graduation.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An architectural education is a good degree for today’s world. It is technical, and artistic, you learn history, sociology, and presentation skills. Designing a building is solving a very complex problem, that can have many different solutions, much like the kinds of problems that everyone faces in different lines of work. I have heard an architectural education described as “the new liberal arts”. You would be surprised at how many very successful business people have architectural degrees and never worked a day in an architect’s office.

In a typical studio situation where I might have 16 students I would say only one or two have the combination of skill set, and “fire in the belly” that tells me they could end up working in an office. That leaves quite a few people who wind up doing something else. Like Taubman, who became a client, and made life miserable for many of the Architect’s he wound up hiring.

To become an Architect I would recommend to anyone that they go to a good school (We have three good schools in Michigan), develop a killer portfolio, and start working in an office, doing anything, as soon as you can, to get the skill set. So you can show a prospective employer you got the chops.

And travel, especially if you work in Detroit. Go to Chicago, New York, Toronto, San Francisco, Miami, London, Paris, Rome. Go see some real cities so you don’t wind up thinking that this place is the only way to do it.

Rsa

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 70.227.13.16
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed; right now the job market for architects is terrible. i have many friends who graduated with me that are not working in the field. unfortunately, when the economy is bad, architects are usually the first to feel it. people don't want to spend the extra money on design, corporations downsize, builders put things on hold, etc. since we are the first in on a project, we are the first to feel the cuts.

for those of you thinking about architecture and redevelopment in detroit i will offer a little bit of advice: volunteer. many architects, builders, bankers, artists, etc. also share a passion for detroit and spend their time accordingly. groups like preservation wayne, sdba, dcdc, real, detroit historical society, detroit art deco society, etc. you get to meet a lot of people in the community, in the profession, and learn a lot about the city at the same time. the design community in detroit is extremely small and the more face time you get with people, the more they know you. it's really all about networking, and this is a great way of doing it.

i started volunteering when i was in high school. i chose UDM because of the recommendations and experiences i had volunteering. i got my first job meeting a principle of the firm thru preservation wayne. found my other jobs thru the same means, often before the job was even posted.

this also helps beef up a resume as well. instead of putting school, lawn mowing, and movie theatre job (when i first started applying to places) i listed all of the volunteer groups on my resume. most places that concentrate on downtown also take note that you have an active role in the community and are serious about helping the city. i've found, in interviews, that most people are more interested in talking about the city and things like this than looking at my portfolio (probably more of a detroit thing).

so, just a suggestion that i hope helps...

Lexdetroitman_07
Username: Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 74.131.204.36
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money isn't the most important thing to me. Fixing the problems that Detroit has and reviving the buildings and getting them occupied again is. I want to help make this city great once again and I am sure that it will happen. I, like Easydoesit, will be a senior in high school in the fall and this thread really helped me with major choices and the like. Thanks everyone for all your help, I look forward to college to be a very challenging and informative time in my life as I plan to double major in sports broadcasting and architecture. I hope to make a big impact on the building projects and sports scene in Detroit once I make it there. Thanks everyone!!

Lexdetroitman_07

Danindc

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I plan to double major in sports broadcasting and architecture. I hope to make a big impact on the building projects and sports scene in Detroit once I make it there.

For your sake, I hope you can live several years without sleeping.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.