Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » DPD Raw Crime data « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 67.107.50.35
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the Detroit Police Department releases raw crime data like the City of Chicago does? I'd like to put together a site like chicagocrime.org, but for Detroit.

The Chicago PD releases a raw file of all crime activity on the web. I can't seem to find such a thing from the DPD. Anyone know if such a thing exists?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1561
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They keep it, but good luck getting through the red tape to get at it. By the time you get your hands on the data and process it, it will be so outdated no one will really care.

The DPD used to do monthly reporting for each precinct and release it publicly on the web, but that was short lived. After that you could go to each precinct and get crime data from them, although some precincts nearly made you file a FOIA to get the data. Since the DPD reorganization, it's pretty close to impossible for the public to get the data.

DPD does use GIS for targeted crime fighting. I'd contact the Center for Urban Studies and speak with Jason Booza to find out if he'd be able to help you find the data and/or set up the webpage.

Haydenth

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 68.73.204.88
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, thank you so much. I will get in touch with Mr. Booza.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 68.21.43.26
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please let me know if you have any success. i would be very interested in this and might be able to help out.

(Message edited by nainrouge on June 19, 2006)

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't where I remember it from, maybe from a local newscast or the newspaper, but I found it interesting that all of the murders committed in the city are recorded in some sort of book. I often wonder about the technical capabilities of DPD and computer filing. Either way, the murder diary would be slightly sick, and fascinating at the same time, to gander at.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 67.38.83.5
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Center for Urban Studies is doing a crude asset of crime already based on census tract.

http://gis.culma.wayne.edu/

Though, I also would be interested if you have any luck obtaining information and applying it to GIS or a google maps mashup. Good Luck!

In a related issue...Detroit and Wayne County need to form a CLEMIS type system for law enforcement.

http://www.oakgov.com/clemis/a ssets/docs/2005%2002%20Fact%20 Sheets%20MASTER.pdf

Haydenth

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 67.107.50.35
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dropped an email to Mr. Booza, but haven't heard back from him yet. I'll let everyone know if have any luck getting the information.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.