Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is Detroit one of the few major cities without a true "rival"? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 70.189.142.74
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to notice major city rivalries on message boards, and just last month, at the biginning of Interleague play (MLB)

I mean take a look at the matchups for 5/19

Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox

Pittsburgh
Cleveland

Boston
Philly

NY Mets
NY Yankees

Florida (MIA)
Tampa Bay

Minneapolis
Milwaukee

Texas (Arlington)
Houston

St. Louis
Kansas City

San Fran
Oakland

LA Angels (Of Anaheim)
LA Dodgers

Only three matchups didnt fit this criteria... Toronto and Colorado, San Diego and Seattle, and Cincinnati and Detroit. I mean whats the connection between us and Cinci?

Do we really have a city that is similar to Detroit? Or are we just that unique?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3085
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now with the Tigers & White Sox contending for first place in the Central, I'd say the Sox are about as close to a rival as we're gonna get. But admittedly I think it's a temporary one. If it was Detroit & Cleveland contending then it'd be the Tribe.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10190
Posted From: 24.12.55.203
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say Tigers vs White Sox and Tigers vs Cleveland are both considered rivalries. If for no other reason, simply because of the number of out of town fans each team draws. That being said, Tiger fans had one helluva showing here in Chitown this weekend for the Cubs series, truly awesome!

Kookie
Username: Kookie

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 164.67.233.28
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly v Boston isn't a rivalry. Its some made up one by some executives in an office.

The true Philly rivalry is versus Dallas, followed by NY and DC. Boston doesn't fit the bill.

I would say Detroit's rivalry is against Chicago, but it doesn't fit into MLB's grand scheme, so what.

Illmatic774

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 70.189.142.74
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly as a city, is extremely comparable to Boston. If not on a sports level, at least city wise. (the two major colonial cities, rowhome heaven, yeah)

Unfortunately, I think Cleveland fits under Pittsburgh's radar a little deeper than Detroits. Two similar skylines, very similar city/metro populations, Browns/Steelers bloodfest as well.

I guess Chicago is a good match for us, though is is quite a bit bigger.

But it just doesn't 'fit' like SF/OAK, Cin/Louisville (yes, they are very similar), Baltimore/DC, Indy/Columbus, etc. Not just on sports level, but size relativity, geography, cultural/city similarities etc.

Thewack
Username: Thewack

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 72.68.164.214
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give Portland, OR an MLB team and problem solved with Seattle.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3948
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portland, Oregon thinks Seattle is the home team. That's pathetic as hell.

Detroit's undisputed rival is Cleveland.
It was really ugly in baseballl and football in the 1950s.

For NFL, since re-alignment is has to remain Green Bay.

In NHL, Montreal is still tops to beat. Toronto a close second.

But in general, Detroit has always had a thang for those rubes at "THE MISTAKE ON THE LAKE in Ohio.

Given the history, LA Lakers are the one to beat in NBA. But right now, Miami is a bear.

jjaba.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 68.41.90.235
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jjaba, Cleveland fits the bill... I would also say Chicago as well. Whether the bears, Sox, bulls, or blackhawks. Detroit-Chicago games are always tense.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seattle and San Diego share spring training facilities in Peoria, AZ and end up playing each other a fair amount in the spring, and The Mariner's regular season rival is the Oakland Athletics.

What ever happened to the Yankees as Detroit's rival? I remember in the '50's that was THE team you loved to hate.....

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1546
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What ever happened to the Yankees as Detroit's rival? I remember in the '50's that was THE team you loved to hate....

If hating the Yankees is all it takes, then every city in the U.S. has a rivalry with New York. Gotta love my Nats taking 2 of 3 from the South Bronx Pretty Boys this weekend.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

football: anyone remember the old tradition of Green Bay playing Detroit on Thanksgiving?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1675
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's Detroit v. Detroit

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 1980s on the south side of the river, Toronto and Detroit was the big rivalry. No Tigers or Jays fan of that era will forget 1987.

Although it was before my time, I have been told that Toronto and Detroit were rival cities in the 1950s and 60s, with people from stodgy, cold, conservative Toronto escaping Ontario's capital on weekends to go to Detroit.

Of course, a lot has changed since then, but I think the Toronto-Detroit rivalry for hockey, baseball, and even the cities is still alive.

For a recent article on the Tigers-Jays rivalry, see this link: http://www.bodognation.com/spo rts-betting-news/american-leag ue-betting-jays-tigers-in-a-th rowback-clash.html

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree...Toronto v Detroit, New York v Detroit were rivalries before the division split/wild card era.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 832
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I mean whats the connection between us and Cinci?

Anyone remember the Little League charity games that the Reds and Tigers used to play?

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, in baseball, it's Cleveland and has been for over ten years. In football, how can you have a rival when you've been so bad for so long.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc.....
.....that's a good point you make about the Yankees. The Bronx Bombers are much disliked up here in the northleft corner. Now if Seattle just had a Frank Lary for Oakland.....

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 24.193.161.193
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston
Philly

NY Mets
NY Yankees

Waay off base with these (no pun intended)! It's Yankees vs Boston Red Sox. I've never seen so much pure hatred for a rival than Boston has for the Yankees. Yankees fans could generally care less, but the Sox spanking the Yankees to finally win the World Series stung them a bit. What other team has it's fans laying good luck charms on the gravestone of a dead player (Curse of the Bambino) before playing an arch-rival? Anyone who follows baseball knows that it gets violent at times, too.
I was in Boston last winter hanging out at a bar across the street from Fenway, when, out of the blue, a chant began, and grew to probably 200 people in the bar yelling (with no prompting whatsoever) "Yan-kees-suck! Yan-kees suck! - Yan-kees-suck!......" The door bouncer (who checked my ID on the way in and saw that I live in NYC) walked up to me at the bar, got close to my ear and said, "Look dude, I've got nothing against you personally, but for your own safety, don't mention word one about living in New York around here. If any of these drunk fucks think you're a Yankees fan, I can't help you..."
Apparently, situations like this arise in Boston quite often. I'm DEFINITELY not a Yankees fan, but I obviously chose to keep my mouth shut in there about anything "New York".

Illmatic774

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 70.189.233.17
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah I definetely understand what your saying. But at least those two matchups have some sort of correlation (Subway Series, the two historical/colonial cities in Boston and Philly, even if there doesnt seem to be too much of a grudge on a sports level). I dont think anything will match the hatred between the Bosox and Yanks, but each matchup seems to fit like pieces in a puzzle.

Maybe I'm just going in circles, but Cincinnati and Louisville seems like a feasible matchup, if L-Ville had a team. Cincy developed quite a bit earlier than Detroit did. They are veeeeeery hilly while we are as flat as Houston. The Lions don't really have a rivalry with the Bengals at all.... you get where i'm goin...

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3956
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As cities, Detroit doesn't match up with New York City. As for baseball, the Yankees are not a rival like closer teams.

Thats why Cleveland is the logical, rust bowl, mistake on the lake, Tribe sucks, rival. Anybody who would bottle and tout their Stadium Mustard at national conventions are from a town jjaba thinks are fools. Chicago and Detroit tout the hotdogs, Cleveland goes for the mustard. That's awful!

jjaba

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit v Toronto, that was the rivals in the 80's. Tigers and Blue Jays from 84 until 88, that was the Tigers chief rival. I remember listining to the post game show on my little transister radio to find out if the Jays lost after every Tigers win. And who can forget the rivalry between Demers' Wings and Brophy's Maple Leafs from 86 on??????????????

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 68.41.108.161
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it comes to major league sport rivials, this is how I see it:

(MLB) Tigers:

1. Toronto
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. New York (Yankees)
5. Boston

(NBA) Pistons:

1. Chicago
2. Indiana
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles (Lakers)
5. Cleveland

(NFL) Lions:

1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Pittsburgh
5. Cincinnati

(NHL) Red Wings:

1. Toronto
2. Chicago
3. Montreal
4. Colorado
5. St. Louis

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.