Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » What’s the deal with George Jackson and Kwame? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 69.212.0.154
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may just be me, but I feel that Jackson and Kilpatrick had all along planned to tear down Tiger Stadium for some mysterious deep seeded reason. What that is, I am not sure; but knowing Kwame’s track record, I would not be surprised if they were holding out for something that would benefit him personally; or one of his friends. I don’t think they care about preserving Detroit’s heritage or past, but rather what helps them out at its expense. The corruption in the Kilpatrick regime/Detroit city politics is comparable to Daley in Chicago; it is truly disgusting and will hamper Detroit for years to come until the residents wise up and elect competent leaders. I don’t believe the entire BS that the city could not find a suitable developer or that the $400,000.00 was used wisely. I think that money went somewhere, but that was not all to Tiger Stadium, rather some corrupt deal. The city cannot manage money. Detroit will regret this years down the road when it is back on its feet with a real mayor and city council, not these imposters. This saddens and angers me to the utmost degree; as it just seems like another case of shortsighted, incompetent planning with no real insight besides how it will help the corrupt individuals who run this city. Sorry to rant and I am sure many will not agree, but this just really irritates me what Detroit has to sacrifice for “progress”

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1553
Posted From: 66.238.170.38
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey,

How about joining the real conversation here:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/74508.html?1150472069

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6136
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this is an appropriate thread for it, here's my personal opinion.

Corktown, Comstock Riley and others made their proposals to the City. The City was lukewarm to them all because none of them included big box retail, and that's what the City wants more than anything.

So the administration purposely dithered on what to do with Tiger Stadium while trying to lure a big box for that site. After years of trying, they never found a taker.

Eventually it was time to fish or cut bait. After reviewing the proposals out there, the City finally decided that the most feasible plan was the Corktown proposal.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff's analysis sounds entirely accurate to me.

Which is not to say that there aren't significant problems in city government. IMO though, I don't think Detroit city government is corrupt at the level of some of the more legendary mob-infiltrated municipalities (in New Jersey etc) of yesteryear. Inexperience and incompetence is probably a bigger problem than corruption.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The difference between Detroit and the Daley machine in Chicago is that regardless of the corruption there, things got done.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 500
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Jackson and Kilpatrick are corrupt and incompetent for giving it citizen the people who live in Corktown exaclty what they wanted?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still haven't stopped laughing over the rehabbing plan for the Michigan Central for the Police Dept.
Who writes their material?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10189
Posted From: 24.12.55.203
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus Christ man, the fuckin' place has sat for nearly 7 years now vacant, long before Kwame ever even took office. There isn't exactly a huge market for worn out, rotting, 100 year old ball parks in case you haven't noticed. You wanna know why there remains this city/suburban divide? It's instances just like this, where people who think they know best (including newbies as new as me) as to what the city really needs to do with properties. I got news for ya, preserving a Tigers Stadium will only continue to hinder the progress of Corktown. Corktown is a neighborhood on the verge of exploding in terms of development, this will surely be the breaking point.

With North Corktown lying just north of the freeway, as well as having PLENTY of open land for development, it too can become a truly walkable neighborhood with retail/shops/restaurants for people in the area. As a resident of Woodbridge, I am already seeing this happen in and around WSU's campus, as well as a planned strip mall/retail development for the final stages of Woodbridge Estates.

I personally wanna see nothing more than Detroit's neighborhoods become self sufficient areas where they can substain themselves. For anybody who believes that the planned project for Tigers Stadium is a bad idea because the 52,000 seat stadium is being torn down is truly ignorant and not seeing the big picture.

I'm all for the preservation of history and building, just not when they truly hinder neighborhood progress. Tiger Stadium as it stands may as well be considered big box retail, as it's foot print is huge and anything that would reuse it as is would hinder any development of empty lots.

I applaud all those involved in what will be considered one of the greatest urban developments in the country.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 71.194.123.139
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One distinct difference that I noticed between Chicago and Detroit is that ANYTIME Mayor Daley or anyone who is representing a Chicago city department makes a statement about something happening, it happens and it happens immediately. Chicago definitely is a city that implements it's plans and ideas without the bullshit whether good or bad.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 68.9.44.96
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Huh, How long has that block in front of Marshall Fields on State Street in Chicago been empty? Years? Decades? And we Detroiters complain about the Hudson's block.

Chicago may be better, but no place is perfect.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 727
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WE don't need to compare our city to anybody else's to know stuff needs to get fixed or replaced. What I don't like are people who make these great plans and never follow through.
They blow enough hot air to get elected then blame everyone else when things go wrong. That's not the kind of leadership I want.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even from far away, ItsJeff's take looks pretty much on the mark. His observation explains why it sat vacant for so long and why the city doesn't really want to hear about any concept of preservation. It's also why if I want to find out about what's going on in my hometown I read this forum before the going to Free Press website. Good call.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2328
Posted From: 4.229.72.29
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks don't think that Mike Ilitch picked up his phone one day several years ago, called KK and said.... "I don't care what gets built there, just make sure that it doesn't compete with Comerica Park!"

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6157
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not as easily as he would have said that to Freman, no...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.