Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Fort Wayne Come and See « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.245.81.70
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well this weekend the Fort will have tours, come and see the work many volunteers have put into and how the parks and rec and the city have helped to restore this city Jewel. So come on down Livernois and Jefferson this weekend. You will be impressed.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3442
Posted From: 68.248.72.213
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be in Connections, I know, but I'll take every opportunity to get people to help out with the restoration of the 1939 Post Theatre I can.

It's actually quite a bit of fun. Also, there is a certain sense of pride helping keep something from disappearing into the dustbin of history.

I specifically invite the theatre "geeks" (said lovingly) to join in. Your expertise in historic theatres will be much appreciated.

quote:

Volunteers -

We will be meeting at the Post Theatre - this Saturday morning - June 17th - at 9:30 am. To work on the porch ceiling.

When we last met (2 weeks ago) we were able to get all of the tongue and groove boards linseed oiled - and about 2/3 of them painted before the storms came - and we had to stop working.

So - any ladies that can make it - there is some boards to be painted - while the men start installing the ceiling.

If painting, or ceiling installation is not your forte - please bring some yard tools - as there is cleanup and edging that can be done around the theatre.

We have paint brushes and work gloves - but need additional outside extension cords (the power has to be hooked up from the guard house) - and lawn and yard tools.

We will meet at 9:30 am and work until 3:00 pm or so. You do not have to work all day - any time you can give is appreciated.

We will be providing cold water - but if you are staying and working for awhile - please bring something to snack on. Lunch will not be provided this time.

Please let me know if you plan on attending (email or call 313-823-6069)

Thanks in advance.
Linda Zaber
Fort Wayne Guard

ps I suggested in additition to water, we bring Vivio's Bloody Mary mix and vodka, with pickles, but Linda demands we do the tongue&groove in straight lines, power tools will be involved.

Although, if perchance you happen to find a leftover cooler containing a beer or two in your vehicle, several of us will help in eliminating evidence.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3448
Posted From: 69.218.153.131
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, to encourage others to put a little sweat equity into saving a part of this City's heritage.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am glad to see volunteers working...the director (when i worked there) never enouraged this in the past...

Talleman1
Username: Talleman1

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 69.245.81.70
Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tours are 10-4 each day,this area though away from the Fort has alot of potential as part of the river walk and greenways project. Also part of the revitalization of the DeRay commuity. The Fort has been left to be swallowed by the jungle but it has come back to life and is SLOWLY becomeing what it use to be a great Historic site. Come on down. Open all weekends till labor day. Fireworks event there also. Safe away from crowds and nice by the river.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.