Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Grand Prix. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 71.13.53.66
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you ever think the race will come back to Detroit?

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 71.226.167.9
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. Unless Roger Penske gets involved.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 69.212.45.121
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the earliest jobs I ever had was working in a picture frame shop. This would have been when the Grand Prix was still taking place in Detroit. Every year we couldn't wait for the unveiling of the official Detroit Grand Prix poster. Some were blah, others were very cool. There were plenty of folks out there who were really into cars, racing and in particular this event; they became collectors of these prints. We'd order as much stock as we could and it would just fly off the walls and out of the stock bins.

I miss the Grand Prix, I wish it would come back to Detroit.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto. It was always cool after the race the race to have some nicely paved streets downtown.

My fondest memory was watching the races from the rotating restaurant on top of the Westin (as it was called back then).

/.formula.\

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2886
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked it better when it was ran ON the streets of Detroit. What a wonderful backdrop to see these cars buzzing around OUR city. When they moved it to Belle Isle, it lost its appeal with me.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1985 Coleman Young passed on the chance to make downtown Detroit the permanent home of the US Grand Prix by refusing to sign a 20 year contract with Formula One officials. He didn’t want the land east of the RenCen, where the pits and the grandstands were set up, to not be available for development. Now, more than 20 years later, all that’s been built on that land is a couple of lousy parking structures. What a missed opportunity!

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad used to take me to the race when I was a kid. When they stopepd running and I asked him why he said it was because the course was so dilapidated that it was dangerous for the drivers, is this really the case?

Ramcharger

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the race was run on downtown streets the drivers would complain loudly about the bumps and manhole covers. They would weld metal plates to the underside of the cars to prevent them from being torn up. But, I don’t think safety was ever an issue.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how sweet would it be if we ran a rally car circuit through the streets of downtown?!

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 70.236.145.162
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man you must of paid a pretty penny to see the race from atop the ren cin.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1627
Posted From: 69.220.34.39
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Grand Prix could have really worked out if they could have used the entire island. Imagine the speeds they could have gotten up to if they could have used the majority of straight-aways on the island. Too bad folks could not agree to having Belle Isle closed one weekend of the year.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 712
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Workers downtown didn't appreciate inconvenience of closed off streets and barriers all over. I'm surprised they didn't utilize any of the freeways. We have a Grand Prix every day out there.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pjazz,

I didn't, but my grandmother did. :-) I also agree it was way better when it was downtown. There were bridges for workers to get to their jobs, but parking would have been a pain.

Plus, wasn't it 3-4 days with most of it falling on the weekend?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1311
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall, Friday was a "free day", and all were invited to "come in" and watch fre of charge. But you paid for the Sat Time Trials and the and Sunday(final) events.
We used to take clients and have a neat party from the roof and even from thet front door of the Detroit Raquet Club on Woodbridge St. which is still located by the Ren Cen. What a view. You needed ear muffs (plugs) if you stood at the front door of the Club and watched the cars zoom by as you could practically touch them.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1312
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall, Friday was a "free day", and all were invited to "come in" and watch free of charge. But you paid for the Sat Time Trials and Sunday's (final)events.
We used to take clients and have a neat party from both the roof and even from the front door of the Detroit Racquet Club on Woodbridge St.located by Ren Cen. What a view. You needed ear muffs (plugs) if you stood at the front door of the Club and watched the cars zoom by as you could practically touch them. The noise was deafeaning.
Although Belle Isle was an interesting venue for the races, I understand that many complained that the street( track) was not wide enough to allow passing of one car by another, which took away a lot of the competitiveness of the event.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2292
Posted From: 4.229.90.191
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the coolest of all the Grand Prix posters was the 1989 Grand Prix VIII poster with the pitstop scene using a modified DIA Diego Rivera mural scene.

It hangs proudly in the vestibule of my house....

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended the free Prix day 3X, once downtown and twice at the island.

I remember being near St Andrews Hall and seeing the cars make a turn and come straight at me as I was able to look over the fence. Being tall came in very handy on that day. Seeing that for the first time was quite impressive.

The other thing that stands out in my mind about the downtown race is what seemed to be an endless amount of attractive woman. I don't think they let woman in unless they were young, attractive, and wearing bikini tops with cut off shorts. Even in the following days newspaper there was an article that dealt exclusively with the bikini top clad woman. Even if you weren't a race fan it was people watching at it's best.

I don't have much good to say about the race when it was at the island. I think it lost all the excitement and the party atmosphere that was present when it was downtown. On BI you felt like you were watching the race out in the middle of a large field of grass. You almost forgot that you were even surrounded by water.

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 68.41.108.161
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also mis watching and going to the Detroit Grand Prix. The DGP and the Indy 500 were the only F1 races that I only cared for.

Oh well, maybe with Roger Penske's involvement with the City of Detroit, maybe he can bring back the race, and find a suitiable location for it to be held.

Troubles began for the DGP when they wanted to move the event to the State Fair Grounds, as well all know that didn't work out at all.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Indy 500 isn't F1.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 35.8.144.6
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a couple of the races as a kid. Does anyone know the course, or have a map that lays out the course? I would be curious to know where exactly the course was.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 38.117.242.163
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drivers HATED the detroit circut. It was narrow bumpy and dangerous, it is amazing they kept coming back. CART then used the street course for two more years after f1 left before moving to belle isle.

I was lucky enough to see both an f1 and cart race on the street course, loved it!

Here is a video of one lap around the streetcourse in 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fgzwm_k2mEM&search=detroit%20 grand%20prix

And here is a map of the streetcourse:

[img]http://www.na-motorsports.com/ Tracks/MI/images/detroit/detro it.gif[/img]

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 922
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best example of how dangerous the Detroit Grand Prix tracks were is also probably the funniest...

I could have it backwards but there's a tow truck out on the course to clean up some other poor driver who hit the wall when Michael comes around and hits the tow truck and then Mario comes around and hits Michael.

Classic Andretti luck.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 501
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I was just thinking about the Gran Prix and the excitement - you could just feel it growing as the streets were closed off and readied. The last week many downtown workers took buses instead of driving because there was such limited parking. That was, for me, such an urban feeling.

My mother and father (suburbanites then)and no fans of cars or racing came downtown just to walk around and take in the glad sight of their city in all its joy and finery.

Those were really great days.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4351
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For far as I can see it, the DETROIT GRAND PRIX is dead!!!

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.43.3.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all I'm new to the forum.

I remember faintly going to the CART races at Belle Isle growing up, wasn't all too exciting. It would've been awesome to see F1 race downtown. Does anyone know what streets were used while racing downtown?

Ramcharger

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.