Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Dearborn's population will reach 100,000 by 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4257
Posted From: 198.111.166.19
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to SEMCOG! Dearborn's population is now 99,886. Due to good housing, schools,a manufacturing job base and a fast growing ethnic Arab Muslim community. Dearborn is a city in progress. What makes this city tick. What's makes it better then Detroit or any other suburbs? Comments please.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 434
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clinton Township is about 100,000 full

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 730
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see someone has become obsessed with the SEMCOG web site.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things in Dearborn aren't as great as you think Danny.

Median Household Income (In 1999 Dollars) $ 46,782 1990

Median Household Income (In 1999 Dollars) $ $ 44,560 2000

Households in Poverty 3,262 (9%) 1990
Households in Poverty 4,463 (12%) 2000

Persons in Poverty 9,604 (11%) 1990
Persons in Poverty 15,720 (16%) 2000

Owner Occupied Units 26,358 (71%) 1990
Owner Occupied Units 26,996 (69%) 2000

This figure is also misleading:

White Population 84,931 (87%) 2000

If you want to discuss the intellectual merits of distinguishing arab and white be my guest, but just as an FYI white also includes the arabic population. I think estimates put the arab population at about 1/3 or more of the total population.

I'll discuss more later, anything in particular you want to know Danny?

(Message edited by KOVA on June 08, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2276
Posted From: 4.229.105.18
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI... go look at historic population data.... this is not the first time Dearborn hit 100,000. IIRC it went all the way up to nearly 110,000 back in the 1950's or 1960's.

In the 50's it was Detroit's most populous suburb. Now it's what... the 5th most populous suburb?

Under what criteria is it better than any other Detroit suburb?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: Yes, Dearborn had more than 110,000 residents decades ago.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.43.12.149
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told that Dearborn is a favorite vacation destination of pregnant women from Lebanon who often show up at Oakwood Hospital to deliver new American citizens. I'm also told that many of said women arrive without any medical insurance and end up going to the emergency entrance when the time comes for deliver.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 604
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm told many white, middle-class bankers launder drug money.

Kova

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No that would be many arabic, rich ice cream truck drivers commit real estate and credit card fraud, while the white westside city leadership looks the other way and takes some off the top.

Danny

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova,

Even though Dearborn's property values, income reduced and its poverty incresing. Dearborn's population is going back up to the 100,000 mark again. The ethnic Arabs had really saved most of the Eastborn and Southborn ( also known as Arabian Village) by providing new shops and homes. Those who are now living in poverty are the ethnic Arab Muslims are other middle eastern countries, but they come here to Dearborn to start a better life. Most of Arab Muslims who arrived in Dearborn DEAD BROKE soon got a decent job woking along with their realatives business until about 2 to 5 years later they have enough money to start their own business, get a house, raise their kids and contribute to their other relatives who are living in poverty in most Middle-eastern countries, to their local Mosques to insure to the 5 pillars of Islam of charity. I have to tell you this but The Arabs in Dearborn rich and poor are doing a excellent job maintaining their communities. And saving the city from its blight.

Danny

Post Number: 4260
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn is NOT like Detroit with its ghettohoods. Even the POOR Arab-Muslims know how to survive in this strange land of America. They take good care of themselves and they lean NOT to strange peers from other races but to accept them who they are.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 818
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arabs, like some other ethnic groups, have larger families than most other groups. So, why should having babies be such a big deal? The same demographic scenario exists in France and elsewhere in Europe. The non-Arab populations in Europe have zero to negative population growth.

Danny

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Arab population in Dearborn now stands at over 40%. but the U.S. Census declare them as Caucasions. They Arabs in Dearborn had quickly filled up all the Southborn ( also known as Arabian Village) and Eastborn along W.Warren Rd. from the borders of Detroit all of the way to the westside of Dearborn.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.40.11.177
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone that lived in Dearborn for most of his life, I can tell you that Danny hit the nail squarely on the head in his last two posts. Great posts, Danny, especially given how little most people really know about how the Arab community in Dearborn operates.

Yeah, the poverty rates may be going up, but it's really just due to what Danny described. By and large, it's really the American dream in progress.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree. What's really helping Dearborn is the newest wave of immigrants carving their own niche in America. They may start out poor, but so many of them are working hard, raising families, making good lives and living the American Dream. I not only applaud that, I say let's allow more of them in.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 153.90.110.13
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually lived in Dearborn for over a year. I thought it was a great place. It was relatively inexpense, and fairly close to all the goodness that Detroit has to offer. The tiny little strip on Michigan Ave, centred on Monroe I thought was great to have nearby. I spent a large amount of time in that area moving between bars at night and shopping at Westborn market and Dearborn music during the day. I had friends that would come over from Windsor and loved that place. There were also some great little bakeries. Anyone from the area should remember the nasty goodness that is Carter Burger. The Henry Ford Estate was always a good place to spend a little time. U of M, Dearborn and Henry Ford Community College were a little nice to have nearby too. I really enjoyed my time there. Things were also improving more and more while I lived there. It was a couple of years ago, but I can only imagine its become all the more nice.
As far as why Dearborn was such a great place to be. Well, there is clear lack of some of the BullSh%# petty crimes you get in both Detroit (some areas not all), and cheaper insurance rates. I thought the arabic influence was awesome. Though this was Dearborn, and clearly some of the white population thought little positive about any minority's presence. With the schools, ford, and the Museum's there were also a steady supply of jobs. While most suburbs truly and deeply bother me, Dearborn clearly wasn't one of those.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 64.131.176.232
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's bake a big cookie for Dearborn...

Kova

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 69.212.225.149
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I don't disagree with you on most points, I have seen it first hand as I live here on the eastside. I was going to comment on the revilization but you summed it up rather well. To make a long story short, this is how I view Dearborn today. I see the dynamics that exist in Dearborn today as similar to how Detroit was in the early sixties in terms of economics and even race relations to an extent. The main difference however is that I believe Dearborn has the ability to stop the transformation of turning into the so called ghettohoods. I'll defend the area I live in there is no doubt that, but I wont stand for a city government that lets this corruption go on and takes part in it. Slowly and surely the signs have been there, east Dearborn is turning into Detroit. Don’t believe me? Compare the south end of 20 years ago and compare it today, a drastic comparison. The southend is almost identical to Detroit. The eastside and Westside are next. Why do you think so many upper class arabs are moving OUT of Dearborn???. Lets be clear here however, I’m not talking about arab or blacks as the problem, shit I don’t give a damn who I live next to, ( but many in Dearborn are bigoted, but most of these folks are LONG gone anyway) as long as they are honest people who take care of the area.

So i'll be here fighting for this community, but to be honest I don’t know if the Dearborn I know today, will be around for long. I'm hoping I’m wrong.

(Message edited by KOVA on June 08, 2006)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3837
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't someone supposed to take Danny's keyboard away? :-)

Danny

Post Number: 4264
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova,

Go take a look in Deaborn's Arabian Village along Dix and Vernor. Do you see any crackhouses, and abandon buildings. All I see I a few vacant lots, newer houses and well kept up homes. The ethnic Arabs in their communities tend to create a their clean and straight Islamic enviroment without any other race trying to mess it up. Same to along the W. Warren corridor. Dearborn is NOT heading into a ghettohood. The Arabs are creating a better neighborhood setting that is compare to Mecca and Kuwait City. There are some new businesses, bigger buildings and Arab-American National Museum.

Over 70 years ago Dearborn under the IRON FIST of Mayor Orville Hubbard didn't allow any black folks to live, shop, visit and play in Dearborn. But Henry Ford at the time when he opened his assembly plant have to convice Hubbard that the influx of Arabs will not cause any problems in the neighborhoods, only Blacks and Jews are the problem. Hubbard agree to Ford's remarks and let the Arabs settle in the Dix and Vernor area, only.

After Hubbard died in office. The ethnic Arabs started to expand up to the W.Warren corridor in the 1970s but fewer housing restrictions kept them out, but the Arabs kept on comming anywhere. Even through the property rates in some Dearborn neighborhoods drop fearing that the Arabs are just like Black-folks, tearing up the neighborhoods, the ethnic Arabs are actually saving Dearborn from the neighborhoods and business corridors. Now I want you to go out Eastborn neighborhoods alonf W.Warren corridor and write to me Do you see any crackhouses over there or do you see any new homes and business?

Kova

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see alot of abandon HUD houses

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford World headquarters is in Dearborn and the Transportation Riders United (TRU) claims they support mass transit. I've worked across the street for nearly 20 years and at quitting time the Ford workers don't line up at the bus stop. I see many thousands of Ford cars clog the roads every day. This is why SEMCOG wants to spend over a billion dollars to widen I-94 and the real purpose of the DARTA agreement. The plan is to replace $100 Million per year (operating subsidies are not in writing like they should be) that mass transit gets and then build more roads while Wayne county residents pay a half cent or more sales tax that other counties in Michigan will not have to pay.

Your YES vote next August 8, 2006 for the SMART property tax will unfortunately only help ensure the Michigan Department of Transportation will pay as little as possible for mass transit at this time. SEMCOG and the TRU are claiming that rapid rail will ensure more jobs will come to southeast Michigan when in fact it will cost jobs. Their own studies have already proved this as it was learned that only an enhanced bus system will get enough rail passengers to justify the costs. The Livonia opt out of SMART will cut off Oakland county from the Ann Arbor/Detroit rail project.

Mass transit only works when the passengers pay for a large portion of the operating costs. The SMART tax will likely pass as the charity it really is as most of us want to help out the crippled. The TRU is wrong to support transit tax increases without openly and very publicly defeating the freeway expansion plans and getting at least a billion dollars from the state first. County taxes do not get more federal transit grants without competent regional planners and the SEMCOG 2030 plans proves we need to use not just our hearts for the transit dependant but also our brains to fill up the buses.

The present DARTA agreement was rightly rejected. It is a violation of the civil rights act of 1964 because it does not protect state funds and does not coordinate bus schedules. The agreement puts the I-94 billion dollar ugly monster, ghetto creating freeway expansion in writing signed by the Detroit city council and others.

It’s time to work together to get the passengers our public bus systems needs.

It’s time to protest the plan is to bulldoze Detroit over and cover it with concrete
by not bulls*#ting ourselves that the only answer is to raise taxes.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2762
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, it sounds like your plan is to at least bulldoze over Ford. Did it ever occur to you that they sell cars and want to encourage their employees and the general public to buy more of 'em? It was one reason 'way back when Henry I paid $5/day, unprecedented in its time, so his employees could buy his products. So don't expect to see a bustop or train station in front of Ford World Hdqtrs anytime soon - or ever.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't expect to see a Ford World HQ too much down the road. Who will pay Ford's part of Dearborn's property taxes???

[Moot point: Ford employees there won't need any type of transit.]

Fitch Downgrades Debt Ratings for Ford

Thursday June 8, 5:34 pm ET
By Sarah Karush, Associated Press Writer
Fitch Downgrades Long-Term Debt Ratings for Ford, Financing Arm Further Into Junk Status

DETROIT (AP) -- Fitch Ratings on Thursday downgraded the long-term debt ratings for Ford Motor Co. and its financing arm further into junk status, citing a "sparse product pipeline" and a restructuring plan that it said would be slow to kick in.

The announcement sent Ford's stock to a 52-week low. Shares fell 13 cents, or 1.9 percent, to close at $6.66 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Fitch lowered Ford's issuer default rating to "B+" from "BB" and its senior unsecured debt rating to "BB-" from "BB."

Fitch also assigned a recovery rating of "RR3" to Ford's senior unsecured debt, meaning that Fitch believes the automaker has a 50 percent to 70 percent chance of recovery in the event that it files for bankruptcy protection.

The ratings service lowered Ford Motor Credit Co.'s issuer default rating to "B+" from "BB" and affirmed its senior unsecured debt at "BB" with a recovery rating of "RR2," which indicates recovery prospects of 70 percent to 90 percent.

The outlook on all of the ratings is negative.

Fitch said it expects the Dearborn automaker's revenue to deteriorate through at least 2006, saying expected market share decline and price competition will offset any gains made by its restructuring plan during the year.

In addition, most of the plant closures scheduled under the automaker's restructuring plan will not occur until after 2007, limiting the company's ability to achieve near-term cost reductions, Fitch said.

Ford spokeswoman Becky Sanch said the company is committed to its turnaround plan, but she declined to comment further.

Fitch said a revamped car lineup and continued strength of the F-Series pickups "has been insufficient to outpace the decline in midsize and large SUV sales." Ford is also facing more competition in pickups from GM and Toyota, the ratings agency said.

Fitch said Ford Credit will see significantly lower profit and dividends in the future as a result of a smaller portfolio and higher interest rates.

Fitch's downgrade follows recent announcements by Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's Ratings Services that they were reviewing their ratings of Ford for possible downgrades.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on June 10, 2006)

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 172.162.222.245
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive lived in Dearborn for the past 4 years and I love it! GO DEARBORN! Next stop, CHICAGO!

Danny

Post Number: 4265
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova,

The Arabs are buying those HUD houses, fix them up to their liking and live in it.

Kova

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If by fix up you mean, demolish and put a mcmansion, then sure. However its more like, these houses are bought with mortgage fraud with many parties involved. The people who purchase these houses then leave or default, or something and then the city comes into "inspect" and demand repairs. The houses which are otherwise in perfectly fine condition, or at most in need of 3000 or so in repair are some how rendered "un safe" by the housing commission. Ive have seen houses in need of no repair or very little repair but then had had over 90,000 in "repairs" required by the city. To purchase a HUD house in Dearborn you have to post bond of anywhere from 20 - 80 k just to purchase the house. So HUD houses aren't fixed, they are demolished, but they never should have been a HUD house in the beginning, if the city cracked down on all these mom and pop mortgage dealers. Now im stuck with a very BIG and ugly house that belongs somewhere in the exurbs. someone is getting paid handsomely, sure isn’t me or you danny, so who is it ?

(Message edited by KOVA on June 11, 2006)

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 616
Posted From: 68.41.90.235
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kova, as an arab-american living in dearborn, your starting to piss me off

Kova

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, why am I making you upset? Please tell me what have i said to offend or upset you so that I can adress it. Thanks

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 64.7.187.62
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should rename that town-"Baghdad West."

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3854
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, that wasn't racist, was it? *sarcasm*

A good rule of thumb is if your conscience tells you not to say something, you probably shouldn't. lol Hopefully, you have that filter installed in your brain somewhere, dill.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 929
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read most of Dill's posts, you will see that that filter in his brain does not appear to be functioning.

Mike

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kova, too many times in this thread have you used sterotypes. Let it go, just let it go.

Kova

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 68.255.246.21
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, where? If you want to cite me for my ice cream joke, well be my guest, but gimme a break. Accusing me of using stereotypes is not something I take lightly. Is using statistics from SEMCOG utilizing a stereotype? Is simply mentioning the intellectual merits of distinguishing white and arab (which I never discussed anyway) utilizing a stereotype? Many feel that the inclusion of arabs into the "white" category is an attempt to "Americanize" them. Where did I say arabs, or blacks, or whites were bad for this city? If anything my main point of criticism is over the city government. Heck, a lot of my criticisms are almost verbatim from my Lebanese neighbors!

Mike, I'll be honest with you, im a pretty young kid, but I've lived on the Eastside all of my life and have loved every minute of it. When people say " oh you live on the east side..." and wonder what the hell my family is still doing there, I really have to chuckle. My family has been quite involved in the community for over 20 years from the east side to west and even Detroit. When my family moved here in 79, even THEN they called them crazy for moving into the neighborhood. So why would it make sense for me to use stereotypes? Now, I’m sure you may have heard similar criticisms from people who DID use stereotypes in a negative light, I’m sure of it, but please don’t accuse ME of it.

And lastly, ok so you don’t agree with my analysis of Dearborn, well I’d love to hear your take on Dearborn’s current state and where you think the city is headed. We both live here, lets dialogue.

(Message edited by KOVA on June 12, 2006)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3888
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many cities have a Halal Mc Donalds, eh?

How many cities honor Ramadan in school lunch rooms, and serve only Halal meat?

jjaba is sure there are other accomodations to Arab-Americans in Dearborn; and the Arab-American National Museum is a jewel which everybody should visit. It is on Michigan Ave. downtown Dearborn.

Two questions. What other accomodations are made for Arab-Americans? And tell jjaba some Arab-American humor.

jjaba notes the real changes since Mayor Hubbard and his "Keep Dearborn Clean" garbage trucks.
(We all remember what that meant; no blacks.)

jjaba, Westsider eating babaganoosh.

Mike

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"These houses are bought with mortgage fraud with many parties involved."

Many others with a similar tense that I do not feel like looking for.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 141.217.25.234
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threads like this one are precisely why I stopped reading DetroitYes a long time ago. I've made the switch to HFD...where the racial stereotypes are fair and sophisticated, and the idiocy is mostly ironic.

Danny

Post Number: 4277
Posted From: 141.217.174.231
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

You have been noticed that there are rarely few ethnic Jewish people living within the ethnic Arab Muslim community in Dearborn. If they don't show their "Star of David and Memorah" in front of their houses. Or walking about in the Arab nieghborhoods with their traditional yamakas, waring black clothing and the temples hanging down from their head during Shabbos. Lest they getting yelled at and beaten up.

Danny

Post Number: 4278
Posted From: 141.217.174.231
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are 3 predominately Black Baptist Churches in Dearborn's ethnic Arab community. They are doing just fine and the congregation is continuing to build spiritual bridges between the Christians and Muslims.

Trainman

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote from Karl

So don't expect to see a bustop or train station in front of Ford World Hdqtrs anytime soon - or ever.

End of quote

Karl, there IS both a train and bus stop in front of Ford. The point I'm making is that the county governments should get out of the passenger bus and train business. If SMART/DDOT were run on sound economic principles with state and industry support, we would actually have a good mass transit system.

Next August 8, 2006 the majority of the public will likely again pass the SMART property tax. This tax is a charity cause for the crippled and it's best to cap it and just leave the issue of mass transit tax increases alone. In Detroit, they have never worked in nearly 40 years and there is no evidence that they will ever work.

We put the World on wheel without taxes and we can also fill up the buses without taxes. We need someone like Henry Ford to get the job done and not our county and local governments.

Danny

Post Number: 4316
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Arab-American Festival is going to be great. It's FREE, FUN and EXCELLENT!

Kova

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

see you there danny

Trainman

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the bus you guys.

It only cost the taxpayers $22 per passenger charged to your property tax bill.

To be paid in full without state or industry support for operating expenses.

And the promise of more money from Washington D.C.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.