Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Civic Center on Kelly « Previous Next »
Archive through March 28, 2007Gtat4471 03-28-07  1:16 pm
Archive through August 14, 2007Gibran30 08-14-07  2:19 pm
Archive through January 31, 2008Goblue30 01-31-08  8:14 pm
Archive through February 14, 2008Eastside6130 02-14-08  11:21 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Denby boys pool and locker room were weird places...if our parents only knew! Pervs were all over the place...most of them worked for DPS in the athletic department in TARland.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 941
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wm Rheaume comes to mind!

Goblue

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno about my golf coach...never saw him move faster than a snail...or do anything that resembled work...the one that was always around the locker room was the BB coach...he was married to the meanest teacher at Columbus...she taught 2nd grade I think...I remember her pulling my buddy's ears because he had a hard time reading...turned out he was dyslexic...still, ended up with a doc from WSU.

Eastside61

Post Number: 944
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - J Rice??????

Goblue

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Yup!

Eastside61

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Wow! That is why he stuttered.........based upon what he was observing......terrible BBall coach too.....DHS lost almost every BBAll game they played.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I'd forgotten the stuttering. Yeah, roundball was not the sport at Denby. TT's former bro-in-law was on the team during our years.

Eastside61

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember going to one victory over Wilbur Wright......in 4 years at DHS.....Walt Majewski, Tommy Ridas, Chuck Andersen, Dennis Eichinger, were all stuttered at by coach Rice.....What a total clown of a coach....In the late 60's Finney High had not won a BBall game in three years...the head coach had a medical issue and my father took over and they posted their first win followed by several other victories that year.......CHE was an interesting guy......Go Highlanders!

Goblue

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHE was an OUTSTANDING DPS educator...what a tragedy that his sons turned Green! He had to have carried that burden to his grave...and your poor mother...still having to face it every year.

(Message edited by GoBlue on February 16, 2008)

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go sailing with Bob Burnier ( history) and Mark Che..Bob used to Coach Football...Denby teacher 62-88

Goblue

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler: Your friends were a couple of years after me...I'm '59. Ed Rutherford was the football coach in my era before he moved on to MSU.

I envy your sailing...its one of the things I really miss living here in the desert...had to choose...horses or a boat.

Eastside61

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W: The CHE the DHS teacher seems to have been dedicated to the TARS....The Other CHE was my father who worked his whole career as an educator for DPS.....most of it on 12th and Clairmont who in the late 60's was the interim coach who took Finney HS to its first BBall victory after several years with losing seasons.....I am also of the Eddie Rutherford era.......GO TARS.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W: It should also be noted that CHE was not only an outstanding DPS educator but also a stellar representative of the U-M both as an athlete and as a scholar. Unfortunately he suffered the ultimate indignity which was imposed by all three of his sons when they chose to become Spartans. Freud had a field day!

Eastside61

Post Number: 965
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Thanks for the great comments about CHE.....We (the mapleridge E brothers) were very proud of all of his positive qualities. The gift that was to be presented to you as part of the TC CSI conference has been place in the vault once again...with 24 hr guards in place.....

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB & E$61- It's great to read about Eddie Rutherford. He was a scrawny little Center of all things as a senior when I was a freshman. Jim Stout was the coach, replaced by the great Abe Eliowitz who took the '45 team to the city championship. Vic Gastell of Gastell's Market on Whittier was the quarterback and Dan Musetti was the all city HB(killed in Korea).
Someone mentioned Rheaume as a coach. There was the same name swimming coach- short cocky(n0 pun)
in the 40's.
Anybody know of Charlie Shires-boys counselor?

Eastside61

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BR - Both GB and myself had another counselor but C Shires was part of DHS in the late 50's early 60's.....Jim Stout was a Football and Basketball official with my father ......Bill Rheaume was also a spinal cord with ears and GB's golf coach.....I think he talked GB into going to WMU and chasing Southeastern girls around the eastside....

Goblue

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill: Ed Rutherford truly was a scrawny little guy...but I'll tell ya...I wouldn't have wanted to go nose to nose with him. He truly was a great coach...tough and fair.

ES: Naw...Bill Rheaume wasn't to blame for that...I started that stupidity about the time I was 14 under pressure from home, from church, etc.

Eastside61

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Sorry to hear that.......BR was a sullen "dick" who was all over my case in 1960.........he was going to run me out of the 'D' club and some other shit.......as you can see he will be in the chapter of Eastside NON educators.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: He was more than a bit of a pompous ass. The only thing he ever did as golf coach was hand out the free golf balls from the trunk of his car. He didn't know a 5 iron from a hand mashie!

However, you must have committed some grievous sin to almost be banned from the "D" Club...we all adhered to the highest standards, morals, values, grades, etc., etc., etc.,...so you musta done somethin'...like messin' with SH!...so...'Fess up!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when did coach Rice take over the Golf Program? and was Mr. Mathis there when you rogues were terrorizing the halls of our beloved Denby :-)

Goblue

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib: Here, here! ES was the rogue! I was an honest entrepreneur selling elevator passes to freshmen, signed hall passes to those in need of such, adhering to the strict code of conduct set forth by the "D" Club, etc., etc. ES on the other hand was a noted briand and womanizer...hence his threatened dismissal from the group of "D's". His older brother and I did our best to straighten him out but to no avail.

I'm not certain when Coach Rice became the golf coach...it was after my time...Bill Rheaume was our coach...they must have reassigned Rice after his 10th losing season.

Eastside61

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib - GB was actually arrested at Columbus Elementary in 1955....and was later released from Juvenile Hall as an 18 year old and went to Denby for about three months in 1959......His "D" was in honor of detention....

Goblue

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES is back to smokin' his home grown!

Eastside61

Post Number: 995
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gib - GB was last seen with a Dexter Bus driver, riding a green and white horse towards Arizona......singing songs by Shirley Ellis......and chanting other slogans and sayings.......He should have graduated from Denby but he chose an alternative life style

Eastside61

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GIB - Sorry, GB was last seen at Seymour and Gratiot....holding a cardboard sign.....something about needing food.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES & Gib: Sippin' a great martini...puffin' a great cigar...soakin' up the sun...its a killer life here in the high country, I tell ya!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - High country is right! I wonder what is in the core of that cigar???????

Goblue

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I wondered if you could hit that slow pitch!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Wiffle allows for a lot of slow pitches and a lot of JUNK thrown towards home plate and players heads.....Here at the Home Park (back yard) it is 120' to center and 93' down the Left field line......anything above or past that is an out............Good put downs are continuous throughout from both teams during the game.....not good for one's self-esteem.....but we grew up on the EASTSIDE.......

Goblue

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Growing up on the Eastside was akin to being a boy named Sue...the world was tough...had to learn to develop a real thick skin...or be a good fighter...or a good sprinter!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - That is why J boy will always bail out whether it is the Eastside Tour - The fishing trip - whatever! His getting duped while attending scout camp worries me that he is very unstable and kinda a mama's boy.....

Goblue

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Actually...I think J is more of a Sheila guy! If...you are who you.......well, you know what I mean.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - That weak u OF m judgment has returned.......they might have attended the same Temple.......but that was all!

Goblue

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Okay, okay...I understand that this is a painful subject for you...that you were nothing more than a token goy to her...move on...forget her...she was nothing...well, nothing more than an incredible FOX!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You "B" right once again....ha ha....the good olde days that weren't.......but it is fun to jest on these threads......we can certainly shovel it with the best......but we need to keep up the good work of mostly true stories....somewhat true....kinda true....never true...

Goblue

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Well...coulda be true! But, you're right...best that we stay with the historical rather than fantasies. Back to our search for SH and SJ!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I was was a biological sci and history major at MSU......minor in EDu stuff.....never taught history but did put in my time with your cousin Norville....

Goblue

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: I had a triple minor at WMU...history, English and geography...in Elementary Education...History was my favorite.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB- Did you ever go to class after your Freshman year???? or did you just hang with J boy and the Religious Wingtips choral group?

Goblue

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My most serious year was my junior year...I was dating Marty B who had a 3.85 GPA...she insisted that we study at the library before we...well, she insisted...I was amazed...I hadn't known that there was a library...my GPA came up to 3.4 that year...my old man couldn't figure out what was going on. He guessed that my pool cue must have been stolen.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Not the same Marty B that I knew at DHS...Class of 61?????

Goblue

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Nope...she was from Troy, MI...encountered each other again in the early 80's when both were re-singled...the last I knew she was living in FL.

Eastside61

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Whew! I do know this...two of the TC CSI investigators are headed to LA in June to visit the Marty B that I knew.......and actually dated my sophomore year at tarsville...

Goblue

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: A close call...let that be a lesson to you!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - maybe they will know where SH is hiding......Marty B I think went to uOFm after DHS.......and MB was in the DHS sorority with SH.....so that will be on my early June e mail to the TC investigators....

Goblue

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: We can locate SH any time that you are ready! I know where older sis lives...have a phone number for her in FL. Get your courage together!

Eastside61

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - You were the guy with the legendary enormous CUP.....so hold on until June and I will wimp out through the CSI squad on their trip to LA......it is some kind of Pi Phi reunion......

Goblue

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: Ah yas...the legendary Pi Phi's...their reputations were known far and wide...even on the WMU campus!

Goblue

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES: My suggestion is that we drop this thread...the Civic Center area was closer to Mapleridge but pretty far removed from Fordham...until later years in TAR land.