Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Ootpik's Old /Detroit Photos - Where Is This? » Old Photo - Corner Of Neff and Warren E « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all those who are helping identify the photos and sharing their memories. :-)

Neff and Warren

When a street sign is front and center, it really helps to identify the photo!

A larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/enginebarn/det9b.jpg

Ookpik

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This photo was taken from the southeast corner of the intersection. You're looking west on East Warren Ave. toward Cadieux. The Pointe BBQ is still there. And where this rental place is, there was (still is?) a Burger King built around 1973(?). When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, the Carom Club pool hall run by Gus Markus was on the northwest corner of this intersection. (Gus also had an insurance agency on East Warren about 5 blocks to the east of here.)

East Warren Lanes (now a supermarket, right?) was a couple blocks to the west on the north side of the street.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow just a block away from where my mom grew up.

My grandma used to work at the Sabre Lancer on the corner of Hereford and Warren.

Kathleen, I remember that Burger King, I'm not sure if it is still there.

As far as East Warren Lanes, I'm wondering if it was the same as Maple Lanes?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabre lancer was originally at Kensington and E. Warren. It then moved down to where Club 500 was. The Burger King would have been right behind this pic. There was a Brodies muffler shop(now Jiffy Lube) right where this pic was taken from.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the muffler shop in that circular building. As a kid growing up on Marseilles (3 streets east of Neff), I always like the architecture of that rotunda-like building.

Last year the hardware store on the corner of Woodhall & E. Warren (2nd building from the right in the picture) finally closed up after being there for decades. I loved that old place. What a pity.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 27, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saber Lanser, Club 500, Cals (Oiginal) Pizza, Pointe BBQ. Pretty good eatin' along E. Warren at one time. Then there was the Friday night fish fry at the K of C. Lots of choices.
And we had a nice dinner last night at The Blue Pointe ( formerly Lombardi's?). Happy to see that this place still continues to draw crowds.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinewood: East Warren and Maple Lanes are two separate establishments. The Maple Lanes bowling alley was located to the east of this intersection, maybe at Radnor and East Warren a block or two before the Balduck Park entrance.

Early last year, with snow on the ground, we took a trip over to the East Side to go memory lane and take photos of some of the remnants of our childhood. We stopped at Balduck to take photos of hill where we went sledding and tobogganing, and over near the warming house where we skated. We also stopped by the Dairy Queen at Marseille for a photo. I remember our Sunday evening visits at the Dairy Queen for the 10-cent cones!! Sadly, so many of the establishments I remember as a child and teenager are long gone!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, The_rock!! I do remember all of those places to eat!! Sabre Lancer burgers can never be matched!! Club 500 was the site of our rehearsal dinner in 1981; I loved their square pizza and still miss it!! My dad was a member at the K of C for years until his death 4 years ago. We went over to the Blue Pointe earlier this year for dinner; nice to see their historical displays in the front lobby!!!

Another of my old favorites was the Mediterranean Lounge at Audubon. Great Food and good entertainment!!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there is still a streetsign similar to the one in the photo on W Grand and maybe 17th ST(?)

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys...
Seems all your old neighborhoods are my current neighborhood.
I couldn't help but go and snap a shot of the same intersection today.
As you can see, the Burger King is still there and is actually where the rental place was.
You can still see the M&M hardware building which did indeed close two years ago, and is now home to a church.
E. Warren Lanes was demolished about 10 years ago. The Maple Lanes building still stands and houses a home improvement company.
The Sabre Lancer/Club 500 building is still there, having last been occupied by a Gospel Cafe. It has been closed for some time now. I believe the stained glass indi car window is still there, although covered from the outside.
Cal's has relocated to Harper as I am sure all of you know, and Point BBQ sometimes has cars and sometimes not. I hadn't been there in about a year (shame on me), but it has had a for sale sign up for about 4 months now.
Blue Pointe does still bring them in, although, in my opinion, the food quality leaves something to be desired.
The muffler shop is still there and still in business. It is indeed where the original shot was taken from.
I also miss Wimpy's a few blocks west and .99 cent movies at the Alger.

Enjoy!

Kathleen

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Krawlspace, for the current-day photos. Appreciate it!!!

Tarkus

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rock or Kathleen, remember going to the Alger for a movie and then over to Sanders for ice cream. Or to Kresges Soda Fountain.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx for the photo Krawlspace! That is awesome! :-)

Ookpik

Kathleen

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus! I certainly remember going to the Alger Theatre!! Some of my earliest movie memories are at the Alger...being allowed to go to the movies by myself for the Saturday matinee...tickets were 35 cents! And the Sanders store across on Warren...I indulged too often on mashed potatoes and gravy and the occasional hot fudge sundae!! I only vaguely recall the soda fountain at Kresge's...I was too interested in their books and records...Kresge's is where us kids did most of our birthday gift and Christmas shopping for mom and dad and the grandparents!!

Tarkus

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen & Rock, I grew up on Devonshire near Frankfort. What about you. I went to Stellwagon up till 1975 and then went to St. Matthews. High school was DeLaSalle on Connor.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why the photographer of these old pics went around taking arbitrary street shots of what would have been considered mundane during his time? Regardless it is interesting for us in the present day to see and recall the way things were in those days.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus I went to St. Matthew !

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know when they widened Mack?

Gistok

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, Mack runs from Woodward (formerly known as Rowena Rd.) to the St. Clair Shores/Macomb Co. border, where it turns into Greater Mack.

I assume you mean the boulevard section from Cadieux to 8 Mile?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack was planned to be 204' wide back in the 1920s, but it was widened, in stages, much later. The stretch through the Woods with the median was built in 1949.

Gistok

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that is really starting to become a serious traffic issue is all that shrubbery and trees planted in the Mack Ave. median in the Grosse Pointes.

It may look great, but it can become a safety concern. Some of the greenery near Mack & Warren (where I visit the Mr. C's Deli often) is so dense that your car has to be into oncoming traffic before you can see around it.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 28, 2007)

Tarkus

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, when did you go to St. Matts?

Kathleen

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus: My schools are Clark School for kindergarten, St. Clare of Montefalco for grade school, Bishop Gallagher High School, Class of '75.

I know from past discussions on this subject that there are a few St. Matt's and DLS alums on the Forum.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake. I meant to ask if Warren was widened east of Cadieux. In the older picture the cars are parked a good distance from the curb and sidewalk. In the more recent photo the distance between the sidewalk and the curb seem to be narrower.

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, I do remember the Dairy Queen, when I was younger, we used to walk over there with my grandma to get blizzards about 20 years ago.

I also remember mom taking us to the Sanders store.

I'm thinking it was somewhere near St. Johns perhaps in the strip mall next to it?

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tarkus I went to St Matts from 81-89.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinewood: There was a Sanders store at 7-Mack (see the Old Photo #3 thread) as well as the one on Warren just west of Outer Drive.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Matts '70 - DLS '74

Grew up on the coner of East Outer Drive and Warren.

I don't think that the Kressge across from the Alger ever had a soda fountain, the Cunnigham's did. It was pulled out in the early 60's.

Tarkus

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to St. Matts from 75-79. The Kresges did have one. It was to the left as you walked into the store about 1/2 way back. My friends mom's store "The Card Fair" moved into the old Kresges after they closed. Some of the broken restaurant equipment had been left in the basement. The basement had chutes for deliveries that ran up to the alley, it was fun slidding down them.

(Message edited by tarkus on January 28, 2007)

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoy the "difference in decades" photos that get posted here. They're really interesting to me. Thanks for posting those!

(too bad we lost the old early 1900s streetlights along Warren!)

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember riding our bikes to the Pony Keg when we were about 11 or 12 to buy bottle rockets. We also use to go to Club 500. I always loved the food, but then I started getting sick after I would eat there. I finally figured that they must be recycling the salsa that they use to have at the tables. So we stopped going there.

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Kresges for the last year it was open. Right up to closing day 12/31/73. I never had the guts to right down the freight chute. That starts of serious steep. Threw a lot of boxes down that thing. The real pain was on garbage day when you had to pack all the trash back up that narrow stairway.

When the closing was announced, we sold every fixture that wasn't nailed down, and some stuff that was. My mom bought the Simplicty pattern cabinets. Just my luck, I got nominated to drag those things over to the house.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack Ave was indeed widened, from a 4 lane to a divided road. The old concrete roadway was broken out in large sections, and hauled down to Lake Shore Dr to be used as erosion control along the break wall from Warner north to Verner. I’m going to guess it was around the 40's or 50's. East Warren lanes burned some time in the 80’s, and were razed to make room for the Spartan store. My dad had a job there in his youth as a pin setter, before this job was taken over by automation. Maple Lanes (at Farmbrook) now houses a landscaping company. Cunnighams at Outer Dr also had a tube tester, where you could check out your old TV vacuum tubes. As a kid I would love to go in there and fiddle around with the controls on that thing.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on February 03, 2007)