Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Laffyette Coney Island » Laffyette Coney Island - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Motownman
Username: Motownman

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard about this resturant in the past that you guys like it. My grandpa started the resturant a while ago. Just want to hear your views, memories, etc.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best coney in the area. Honest to god, it took 18 seconds from the time I sat down until the coney arrived in front of me.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette is my favorite! I miss the coney dog so much. Maybe your grandpa could come to my city and open one???
What is in that sauce? I can't duplicate it. boo hoo...
You won't say, will you!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4692
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba orders his two on one, lite onions, mustard. Vernor's and piece apple-ah pie.

Never ever had a bad meal there.

jjaba on the Westside.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NEED CONEYS NOW! Ahhhhhh, best food around for the price. Great before baseball games so you can avoid the outrageous pricing at CoPa.

Motownman

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my my grandpa died in his early fifties so my grandma had to sell it. It was sold before I was born so i couldn't tell you the recipe. My dad said it was the first coney island in detroit though.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are lucky to have the Coney bloodline. A true Detroit family.
So, you don't want to own one?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4433
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My grandpa started the resturant a while ago.

Brave man to admit that, for the next week you'll be assailed.

I.E. Why no eggs? Sometimes after the bar closes I'd like a coupla scrambled with ham and whole wheat toast instead of "one with everything and chili cheese fries". What's the deal?

Motownman

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandpa was a greek immigrant in the 1910's. He was a true entrepenor and owned quite a few resturants over the years. As for me i'm just glad my grandpa brought the whole coney island craze to detroit.

Scs100

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where would be without him?

Motownman

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys don't complain to me about the resturant. My family doesn't own it anymore.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eating Chicago style dogs? Yuck.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4694
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give us the history of The Lafayette Coney Island as you know it. Thanks.

jjaba, gimme one loose, one up, everything.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4696
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motownman, why did you spell Lafayette differently?

Question 2, have you ever tried a Coney at American Coney Island next door?

jjaba on the Westside. (50 yr. customer.)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, it is what it is. Plenty of other places for eggs. You don't go to pennzoil to fill up your gas tank.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7291
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motownman, do you have a lock of your grandfather's hair I could have? It's for my shrine.

Motownman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry guys, but i don't have a piece of my grandpas hair as for history i only know is that was the first coney island in detroit. It was started in the 1930's i believe. Also it was sold when my grandpa, Xenophone Karayanidas (greek immigrant), died. I'm kind of scetchy on the details because my father was only a teenager when he died and the resturant was sold.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One day my husband and I ate a dog at Lafayette and then immidiately at American and we both agreed the Lafayette hot dog itself was tastier.
I like the decor (lack of decor) better at L. After bar time when we would go there (early 90's) the floor would have fries and junk on it and they waiter guys were awesome in their speed! slam those water glasses down, what do you want, ok go..........ta da! Coneys in ten seconds! Sweet memory......you just never stop craving a Coney!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had always heard the Lafayette and American were started by brothers. If so motownman, you still have a connection, because your grandpa's brother's family still owns American. The family name is Keros, but maybe that's a shortening of the same name.
http://www.fancymag.com/hotdog love.html
http://uh2l.blogs.com/detroite ssentials/2006/01/lafayette_co ney.html
dave

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Rocks! Every trip back home to Detroit means a must go to get a Coney. If you live way out of town like we do, you can go to the Dearborn Sausage Company's website and order the exact same dogs and a very good version of the chili online and have it shipped. We did that to watch the Series. American Coney Island also sells "Coney Kits"during certain times of the year. The next is for the Super Bowl. The kits come with dogs, chili, buns, onions, and TWO server hats!

Dave, I've also read several versions of the story link you posted above, all very similar in history.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 472
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Lafayette, been going there for years. However my family when I was young, was partial to Georges Coney Island on Michigan near Livernois as my gramma went there as early as the late 1920s. So the coney is not new to Detroit by any means and there were more around in the 30s then Lafayette. I know my dad said the old school way was to get the coneys with a bag of better made potato chips as they did not have French Fries to go with them in the old days.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Cambrian.

No chips, fries.
No Coke, Pepsi.
No salad, maybe tomorrow.
Raw, no grilled onions.

You, a Greek? No, you? No.
Jew, Jew Variety Store on Linwood.
Schlomo? No, Moshe'.
You Petros? No, Kas Kasadokas.

Gimme two on one, one loose, no onions, mustard.
Salad, no salad. Salad tomorrow. Ok, pickles.

jjaba, Westsider.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 653
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We switch off about 50/50 between Lafayette and American. American badly needs an interior re-design though. The 80's foil wallpaper thing is not aging well. It's kind of visually painful to dine in there anymore. Love the coneys in both places.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4699
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline, 50/50.
Loose at Lafayette.
Coney at American.
50/50.

jjaba.

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two from Lafayette on Saturday still number one, man them onions sang all afternoon. Never been inside American . Duly's is the 2nd choices in our family.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done both Coney Islands- it generally depens on which direction the car is parked and which ever one I can stagger into first. Both are fine in their fare and serve up some of the top notch dogs in the city.

Some of my fondest remembrances are at the wee hours of the morning when you see the cops, the lesser-than-do-wells, and the fully decked out to the nines crowd all sitting around enjoying a two-on-one with a Vernors.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 734
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette for life.

Missing coneys here in Chicago, the chili here just isn't the same.

Lawnmowerman
Username: Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night before leaving Detroit. I stopped at Lafayette to grab some coneys to go. Then my girlfriend fed them to me while driving home on 94. Ah,the splendor!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4700
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with girlfriend feeding Lawnmowerman, we can't imagine the sight of those coneys, the chili spilling, the onions on the floor, and the odors. Hope you had the vents wide open.
Was Stevie Wonder on the radio or replays of the 2006 World Series?

Are the detours still up in Western Michigan?

jjaba, Westsider.

Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shes good,,didn't spill a drop. No detours up to Livernois that I could see.

Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shes good,,didnt spill a drop. Turned at Livernois and no detours.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4702
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can see it now, extra napkins, smooth driver, helpful aid, waving a coney out the window, showing Detroit pride through Marshall, Michigan.
And washed down with a Vernor's. Pure driving pleasure.

Hope those vents were on and Little Stevie was doing a love song on the radio.

jjaba, midway at Westnedge exit in Kalamazoo.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4703
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Were the chili cheese fries tough to manage? Oy, the grease on the carpets.

jjaba.

Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No fries this time. Next time i dine in. Chili cheese fries for sure.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an avid lafayette diner. I think you learn to choose at a young age. I distinctly remember going to a tigers game with one of my uncles and going to lafayette afterword and him telling me very loudly "This is the the coney you go to! None of that junk next door" Ha. Ill take 2 on 1 with a coke.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4706
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chips, no fries.
Vernors, no Coke.
Pepsi, Pepsi.

jjaba.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Missing coneys here in Chicago, the chili here just isn't the same."

Yeah, they don't do coneys very well in Chicago. But the best chili in that town is at the Ramova Grill down in Bridgeport. It's something special.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4177
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seven coneys on the night of graduation to overcome some adult beverages at the Lafayette but me on the wagon there for awhile.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

coney islands need to sell tofu dogs... seriously... i would go so much more often...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7306
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---bitchslapping Anydlinn

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"coney islands need to sell tofu dogs... seriously... i would go so much more often..."

Yeah, and I'd go to health food stores if they sold junk food and other crap, but what can you do?

Just stay on your side of the fence and don't cause trouble.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Lafeyette Coneys, though unfortunately for some of my childhood I couldn't eat there- my uncle owned the Deli right around the corner! Anyone ever eat at "Detroit Nick's Deli?"

Jjaba

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christos, they're all Greek to me.

Bitchslapping Itsjeff for misspelling a guy's name, although he deserves it. His was the wurst post of 2007.

jjaba, two on one, order up.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4711
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn Lafayette Menu:

Tofu coney island, with sprouts. $2.95
Odwalla organic lemonade. $4.00.
Soy bacon and free range chicken san. $7.50.
Pine nut shake. $4.75.
Carrot juice Smoothie. $3.50.
Chantrelle mushroom burger on 7 grain bun. $8.95.
Organic romaine salad with yellow beets. $5.75.
Garden burger with organic mustard. $6.50.
Chilled lemongrass elixer. $3.95.
Broccoli with organic Gargonzolla. Priceless.

jjaba, two on one, one loose.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`m not going to dwell on this one, as I`ve said it all on the chicago dog thread. This is just getting too painful. Some one with business sense needs to open a good coney here in Germany. They would make a fortune-and that would just be from me! I don`t know if it would float with the general public, but they would have a friend for life-ME! Does anyone have a recipe for me? I know that nobody is going to give an original but a reasonable facsimile would do. I can already smell them from here. You guys have done it again, I`m getting hungry.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4715
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, try a Greek. They invented the Detroit Coney Island. There are Greek Gyros stands all over Germany. See what they can do for you.

jjaba, ordering two on one, mustard, lite onions, and a Vernors.

Scs100

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, I might be in Germany next year. Tell me where you live and I might be able to fit Lafayette on a 747 or an A380.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Lafayette coney story is once, about twenty years ago, I was sitting at the counter, just having taken a huge bite of a “heavy-eavy”, When who walks in but Soupy Sales. I couldn’t talk because I had a full mouth full of coney. I must of have been sitting there with a big stupid grin on my face. Soup just looked at me, as he walked by, patted me on the back, and said. “Hey how ya doin”.

Cambrian

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you go Michmeister:

http://www.nationalconeyisland .com/Catering/ConeyKits.aspx

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my favorite Laffayette Coney Island story:

This summer I went to Laffayette before a Tigers game. I sat down just as the gentleman at the table next to me was ordering. It just happened to be Craig Monroe, ordering 2 on 1 loaded with a Diet Coke. Oh yeah, that happened to be the night he hit the Grand Slam en route to beating the Chicago White Sox!

I happen to order the exact thing he did each time, but I'm still waiting for my big break. Ironic that he and I share the same last name and the same coney order, but I guess that is where the similarities end!

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't be Lafayette Coney Island without:

The bathroom in the basement.

The cook banging on the window with a fork.

Demos

Those lousy stools along the counter.

The world's greatest bean soup but why in the world did they stop selling it with a roll?

Let's face it, all they do is burn the dogs on one side and flip them over and burn them again. But they burn them with style.

Andylinn

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first of all jjabba, et al... if i wanted a health food restaurant, i'd go to one... i was simply suggesting that the simple addition of tofu dogs would make us vegetarians happy... no way am i going to go to a place to eat just fries or something... slow's "the genius" is the perfect example of an accommodating entree. i've only been to lafayette one time because there isn't anything for me to eat there!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

andylinn whats going on tonight?

Andylinn

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you meant what's going on on the detroit yes boards - the cats here don't like vegi-dogs...

if you meant what is going on in socializing land, i think i'm going to chill with my boys. want to join? 313.300.2315

(Message edited by andylinn on January 02, 2007)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i can get off the couch ill call ya

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take one coney, one loose with everything and chili cheese fry.

Don't forget the long pour!

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister,
As I said in an earlier post, just go to the Dearborn Sausage Company website and you can get something like 18 dogs in natural casing plus a 5 pound chili brick shipped for about $40. Get your own onion and buns and you have 18 dogs for about $2.75 each without paying for a Coney Kit.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go check Meijer's for some Cincinnati Recipe chili mix. A package sells for about 75 cents to $1.29. I use it to sprinkle on lots of stuff I cook.

Dave

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister.
Koegel's in Flint wholesales a Detroit recipe sauce to a number of coney's in the Detroit area. Maybe you can get them to ship to Germany.
http://www.koegelmeats.com/pro ducts/db.cgi?hot+dog+chili
Here is a great thread with some recipes.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums /topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5824
dave

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your grandfather started Lafayette Coney Island "a while ago" why are you unable to spell the restaurant's name properly?

Motownman

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Have not been there in years.
2. Moved out of state.
3. Wasn't even born when grandpa ran the resturant

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Coney Island but I'm a Bratwurst and Polish guy. What makes a Coney so different than any other hot dog? I've had a hot dog at Lafayette but it only had mustard on it.

Cambrian

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Less like a Brat, more like a skinny knockwurst. Natural casing hot dog. Fresh bun and beef heart beanless chili, voila you have a detroit style coney. Skinny crispy fries with the same coney sauce tops off the meal nicely.

Dave

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes a coney Milwaukee is the sauce.People who haven't had one think it's a chili dog. Coney sauce has a totally different texture and taste. The two best coney sauces are Detroit style with ground beef heart, lard, and cracker filling, and Flint style with ground sausage and I think a lot of mustard mixed in. I have to have both smothered in onions. With a Detroit coney I want mustard, not as important with the Flint sauce. I like any good natural casing wiener in my coney. The bun has to be hot and soft and there must be enough sauce to make it impossible to eat without a fork.
dave

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay... I have a stupid question. What is "2 on 1"?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"2 on 1" is shorthand for "2 coneys on 1 plate".

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, sometimes it stands for something else...

Jams

Post Number: 4461
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh look, Kathleen is blushing! :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red as a beet!!! Thanks a lot, Manrooter!!!

Manrooter
Username: Manrooter

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My work here is done.

Ta-ta, all.

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angry_dad,Very good remembering Demos, I can still see him sittin at the counter havin' a sit down when it was slow.The bathroom in the basement was an experience, and the bean soup,man was that good.A friend of mine has the old cash register that they put out in front to be trashed. We had a quick game of street slush road hockey in front, loaded up the cash register and headed back home to Windsor early in the morning with our bellies full of Miller beer (in a clear bottle), wahnup, wahndown, soup and oyster crackers served at the counter. Man what a place.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many other establishments in the downtown they need to do a better job on the sanitation end of the business. Other than the food is definetely high quality

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strange as it may sound, I think the lack of sanitation might be part of the attraction. That concept at least makes sense in my mind...twisted as it may be.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4725
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detrit's onliest Health Inspector is on Holiday leave right now. Those Greek joints have their own sanitation rules. Not to worry.

jjaba, order up, two on one, one loose, lite onions, Vernors.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

took my Clinton Twp friends and my parents last night, they loved it mom was upset about pop not being in the bottle like when she was young

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister,

As another Detroiter living in Germany and jonesing for Lafayette, I am interested if you have success in getting some shipped over. That or I may just show up at your haus......

Michmeister

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just going to try my hand at making the sauce myself first as the shipping would be costly and risky because of it being perishable goods. And besides, I know a good Greek restaurant that should be able to help if it really is a typical Greek dish, the beanless "chili" with beef hearts etc...
I told my wife about the recipe and I guess I lost her when I mentioned the part about the beef hearts.
I assume it not wise to tell her about what suet is......
On the business side, I don`t think the Germans would hook up well with Coney`s cause they are just too messy to eat on the run, wouldn`t understand "no fries,chips" and ginger ale is relatively rare much less Vernors.
God, I now know what Tom Jones was singing about in the Green, Green Grass of Home!

Michmeister

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and Drankin21? Lafayette,American? Who gives a shit? I`d settle for a Zorbas from the corner of Greenfield and Fenkell! That is, if it is still there. Ah the old stomping grounds, next door to the fire station, the old Elmers hamburger joint, what a dive!

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

michmeister, Do you know if by chance Red Devil is still in the area?. I am guessing not.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In many Detroit neighborhoods, you get your Coney through the lazy susan glass partition. So, the true Detroit Coney experience in Germany must include that routine. Tis a lot more than recipes.

To run a Detroit Coney Island, you gotta have a cop at the back door when you open and close. The back vault of office, kitchen, and cashier has to be secure.

Each cop has his order.

Cop pulls up at closing, jjaba jumps out, locks up, starts his old beater of a car and gives the cops their order.

Order up, Four on two, chips, no fries, one chili cheese fry, one two Vernors, one Pepsi, no Coke. Thanks boys, see ya tomarrah!

jjaba, Detroit folklore.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, "Detroit folklore," Undoubtedly I will now lead with my chin and take the wrath from all of you.
QUESTION: Is there really any BIG difference in TASTE between a Lafayette Coney, An American Coney, a National Coney, Gus's Coney etc?? There is obviously a difference in atmosphere ( I won't say ambiance), but is there a real difference in how they taste?
I had a Coney in Grand Rapids recently. Maybe called Athen's Coney? Anyway, it tasted the same as any other I've had at any time at any other place.

I'm off to Grand Rapids again. May even have another Coney. Dosen't matter where. They all taste the same, whenever, wherever.

"A Rose is a Rose is a Rose is a Rose "
Gertrude Stein

"A Coney is a Coney is a Coney is a Coney"
the rock

There I have said it, and now I have asked it. When I return Sunday night and check in to this thread, I will obviously be trembling with fear and will no doubt be faced with treason. May even face banishment.
But I still want an answer.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there is a big difference.

First is the type of dog the restaurant uses. The ONLY dogs I eat are Koegel's or Dearborn Sausage. I've been in both plants, seen the whole production process, and I can proudly say that those dogs are clean, delicious, and have no "mystery meat" in them- plus are union made in Michigan.

Next is the sauce recipe, which as has been previously stated varies significantly from store to store, and even from city to city. A true coney dog can only come from Detroit or Flint. A Detroit Coney has runny yummy chili, while a Flint dog has thick "Coney Sauce."

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God. Jjaba, you've gotta stop this, it's embarrassing.

Drankin21

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you are using a dog from Dearborn or Koegel's, it's all in the sauce.

There are a great deal of places that use the sauce made by National Coney Island. Sad But True. They sell it by the brick to a few places that I will not name here.

There is a small difference in the sauce from American and Lafayette. It's all preference and both have a good, Detroit style, runny sauce. It's all your preference in the spices used and (imho) Lafayette wins. The National Coney Sauce is more "meaty" but still resembles the "Detroit" coney more than any coney wannabe from Flint or elsewhere. The rest are all chili dogs.

Michmeister

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Yellow Pages, there is no Red Devil there in Detroit any more:-(. Could be that they moved out of the city, who knows? There are forumers who would be better sources than I as I am quite a distance away. Never the less, a good eatery, if nothing more than a memory anymore.

Drankin21

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way a coney place would work in Germany, unless you put it in an Expat community.

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock....as was discussed in an earlier thread, if you're going to be in Grand Rapids, why not get a Yesterdog? Not a coney, but an indigenous creation that's quite magical and righteous.

(Message edited by mc5rules on January 05, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An ex-pat community with little or no Detroiters, so they wouldn`t know the difference between a good one or a mediocre one.ZWEI AUF EINEN, LOSE MIT EXTRA ZWIEBELN! Ach, it loses everything in the translation, bad enough that they wouldn`t taste the same......

Cambrian

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Red Devil's is gone. Last time I was there was the late 90s, the family that was running it was not experienced and the quality of the food was not like it should have been. Last Pizza I ordered from them had a nice big sharp shard of white plastic I bit into. National's sauce aint that bad, it is made in the Detroit area and it is true to the recipe, I wouldn't knock it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4738
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock is not right of mind. There are 5 Grosse Pointes. Do they all taste the same?

15,000 Mc Donalds and all of them don't taste the same. A million Starbucks without the same coffee.

Depending on which Yemini shows up for work, there are daily changes in taste at The Lafayette.
Two Vernors don't taste the same. You ask for onions, some are from Valdalia, some from Valdosta, others from Idaho.

Compare Bobby Knight to John Wooden. They're both basketball.
jjaba.

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks michmeister and cambrian on the Red Devil info.It was great pizza.
michmeister, The quick sausages and hard rolls with unsalted butter(like most of Europe) in the autobahns rest stop I enjoy.
But apples to oranges with coneys no doubt.
And Elmers ruled...then off to Cook Field to burn it all off, no?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back from Grand Rapids safe and sound. (The lines at the Gerald Ford Memorial were long). And on reviewing this thread , it appears that I have now become well informed about different "coneys", rather than abused by those who love them so.
Sorry I had no time, mc5, for a yesterdog, but a friend in GR said it is a wonderful restaurant for dogs and other foods that are not good for you.
drankin21 appears to be an authority on sauces,("it's all in the sauce",)and of course jjaba, although apparently having trouble utilizing Lowell's upscaled Ruins site, continues to be the master of analogies.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4740
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock ordered two on one, onions lite, and mustard at the Coney in Grosse Pointe. Then he got pheasant under glass and a martini with a twist.

Glad The Rock is safely back home.

jjaba, order up.

Michmeister

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing basketball `til dark, and not that bad for a little guy (around 5-8).Those were the days my friend, we thought they`d never end........

Jjaba

Post Number: 4746
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can some of the regulars at coney islands give us direct quotes on how to order at a Detroit Coney Island?

This would be helpful for tourists and suburbanite college kids coming downtown for the first time.

jjaba.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GIVE ME 2 WITH EVERYTHING, HEAVY CHILI, HEAVY ONION. I only suggest this if not sleeping near or hoping to kiss the significant other within 4 hours of devouring these sweet morsels of downtown goodness!!!!!!

Jams

Post Number: 4532
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No chili cheese fries? Sacrilege!