Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Sunny Day in the D -- Detroit Rises Update [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once a fabulous ruin in a field of weeds The Inn at 97 Winder sits amid new townhouses in Detroit's booming Brush Park district.
The Inn at 97 Winder Detroit

Ever wonder what the Detroit Tiger's Comerica Park looks like from the Detroit Athletic Club?
Comerica Park Detroit from DAC

Meanwhile demolition proceeds on the Commerce Building for condo project next to the under-restoration Cadillac Hotel.
Commerce Building Detroit

"Building Detroit's Past into the Future". So read new signs before several fabulous ruins on Erskine Street touted by a company called HipCityLiving. hmmm....
HipCityLiving house Detroit

MidMed Lofts near completion on E. Canfield...
MidMed Lofts Detroit

...while behind it the doors are open at Detroit's new Museum of Contemporary Arts and Design on Garfield.
MoCAD Detroit

Detroit Rises!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

loved the pics, DAC especially.
Sure would be cool if the Lafayette building came back to life.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be even better if the little white triangular building in front of it returned as "Kinsel's".

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great shots lowell. Brush Park is looking INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brush park is looking Great

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brush Park has a long way to go. Try driving from Eastern Market to Woodward (south of Mack) sometime and you'll see what I mean.

They did a lot of road work though, which is nice.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the roadwork is nice but I'm not sure it's dense enough or even enough occupied buildings yet to say that it's "on it's way back" as many of put it.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That shot of Comerica makes me want to join the Detroit Athletic Club.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics, Lowell. I love the Brush Park shots. Brush Park may not yet be on its way back full steam ahead, but there has been some progress, and that alone should be cause for celebration. We need to take baby steps.

(Message edited by cman710 on January 10, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3545
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rewind to Brush Park ten years ago. It is like day and night. Then it was a hopeless overgrown weed lot with open drug dealing, particularly at John R and Erskine, and crumbling buildings. The change is dramatic and accelerating.

Fast forward ten years and it will be totally transformed.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe the "little white building" in front is American Coney Island??

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice update.

Redhead
Username: Redhead

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the "before" picture of the first site at this link... http://www.detroityes.com/gild /10bp.htm

What a great transformation.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,

Are you a member of the DAC? I going to join, if only for that view.

Docmo

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking great! 313

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, to be able to out and about the city on a sunny weekday!!! I'm so envious!!! Thanks, Lowell, for sharing!!

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3547
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I am not a member docmo. I play handball with friends who are. If I lived as close as you do I definitely would. The steam bath alone would get me. The facilities are unmatched.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lowell about Brush Park, for those who dont think its progressed much... I remember going to parties in the one completed Victorian house there in the late 80s early 90s..All you would ever hear from people is they couldn't believe any person would live in this area. It was the only place to look at in the whole area , surrounded by old ruins and a few drunks.. The area is amazing now compared to what it was like, Most people then would not even stop there let alone live there. It is well on its way

Noula
Username: Noula

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall be taken through on tour by my father back in the 60's and 70's. he would drive me through the streets and point out the places that used to be. I recall going past the corner that had the Flame Showbar. He loved that place, said the music was fantastic. I also recall all the burning metal garbage cans with folk keeping warm at street corners.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't the grass covered at Copa? Or at least the infield?

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

brush park could use some mature trees....unfortunately, that takes a while. I hope they are planting.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY DETROIT! This city fixes up their ruins more better then London and Liverpool.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove thru Brush Park the other day. Indeed it is looking up but I hope future infill homes are a bit more sympathetic in style than the townhouses are.Victorianesque;)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, BP has a way to go since there are many open lots and still vacant (mostly sealed) structures, but compared to the BP I moved into 6 years ago, it is a beautiful neighborhood in the making.

As for the style of housing, there is a "historical" requirement that the infill housing has Victorian attributes. While many people complain about the townhouses and such from Crosswinds, they could be worse. I have not seen any renderings for the new builders over by the Carlton area, but they will be under the same "rules". I also have to say, while the new "Garden Lofts" building on Winder is not Victorianesque, it is a giant handsome monster.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While a agree with the principles of new urbanism, the architecture itself will likely be a plastered-on facade. There isn't/shouldn't be any desire to try to replicate those historic buildings in the neighborhood, esp. since the new ones will be half-ass in comparison. I would rather see a style of the new buildings that contrasts with the victorian while at the same time complimenting the historic existing ones.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on Charlottepaul.