Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Architect Marcus Burrowes Appreciation Thread........ « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has never been much discussion about architect Marcus Burrowes. Marcus Robinson Burrowes was born in 1874 near Buffalo. He attended the Denver Art Academy for a short period of time. This led to an apprenticeship at a leading firm in Denver.

In 1892 he left Denver for a position in Ottawa designing post offices. This position led him throughout Canada and especially Ontario. In 1899, he supervised the design and construction of the YMCA in Sarnia. In 1903 he designed the Carnegie-funded Sarnia Public Library. It has since been demolished. While working on the library, he also completed a hotel in Sarnia as well.

Around 1905 he went to Detroit and began a brief tenure working for Albert Kahn. By 1907 he had joined Stratton and Baldwin. This was Burrowes’ launching pad into the Detroit architecture scene. The current trend in vogue was the Arts and Crafts movement of the Lutyens sort.

I think around 1912 or so he started his own firm with a colleague named Dalton Wells, a respected Cornell grad. In 1920 Burrowes brought in Frank Eurich Jr. another Cornell grad that did a ten year stint with Wirt Rowland. The creative partnership of Burrowes and Eurich began.

Burrowes still had strong connections in Canada and especially in Windsor. It was in1911 that Hiram Walker and Sons hired Burrowes and Wells to design a customs office in Walkerville. During this time, Burrowes was hired to design homes for Hiram Walker and H.R. Dingwell, both situated on Devonshire Road.

Around 1911, Albert Kahn, still a close associate of Burrowes, needed assistance with his Cranbrook project. He was assigned to create a large carriage house for the property. Later on, Burrowes was tapped once again to create the famed Cranbrook Greek Theater. Basically, Burrowes created a mini copy of the Greek Theater in Syracuse in Sicily. It could seat ober 400 and became the summer home of the DSO right before the Depression kicked in.

Burrowes hit it off with the Booth clan and was commissioned to create homes for Booth’s children near Cranbrook. He consulted with the creation of Cranbrook’s Brookside School along with another stately home off of Lone Pine for W.G. Morley. I am not sure if this Morley has any relation to the famed Candy Company…

Burrowes did a number of country homes in Oakland County including projects for Kirby White, the Spicer family and the Biddestone estate. Burrowes even built his own home he named Burbrook, there (Farmington). It is/was located at 24300 Locust Drive near Oakwood Cemetery of off Grand River.

During this time a great deal of the work by Burrowes was of the Tudor style. He created homes on Hamilton for AL McCarthy, William Locke, and Percy Barnard (Fairway Drive). I do not have the addresses for these homes but all were large Tudor estates.

He did create at least one home in East-Boston Edison for David Brown. Mostly, he stayed near the Detroit Golf Club.

Burrowes designed a number of homes in Indian Village:
-2950 Iroquois-Tudor built for Warren Booth in 1922.
-2530 Iroquois-Arts and Crafts style for H. Pierson in 1914.
-2455 Iroquois-Eclectic style for Walter Jennings
-2243 Iroquois- Georgian 1917/NA
-2168 Burns-Home for Newton Annis of Annis Fur fame
-1432 Burns-English shingle style
-2501 Burns-Liggett residence in 1915
-1782 Seminole-Pittman residence in 1912
-2454 Seminole-New England clapboard (rare)
-1710 Seminole- Dutch Colonial for Paul Gray in 1911.

The Ralph Harmon Booth mansion was one of Burrowes’ greatest achievements. This 22-room manse was built at 315 Washington in GP in 1924. The design is a mix of Tudor, Jacobean, and storybook glamour. Ralph Harmon Booth, brother of George, was a major arts patron in Detroit. He donated great amounts of art and funding to the DIA. There is even a scholarship for young artists. I am not if it exists anymore.

The Harmon Booth mansion’s dining room paneling came from Hamilton Palace, a Scottish manse torn down in 1919. I am a bit confused since it is said that the main dining room of Hamilton Palace was bought by the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. The library paneling came from Standish Hall, a grand estate in England. It was a Junior League show house in the late 80’s. He did many other grand homes in the Grosse Pointes as well.
text description of image
Ralph Harmon Booth Mansion

Like I said before, Burrowes did a number of homes in Oakland County. One significant project was for a lawyer named Luman Goodenough. Goodenough bought an existing farm and had Burrowes add onto it. It was later turned into the Farmington Community Center. Burrowes, who was friends with Goodenough, built his own French Normandy estate just across the Rouge River. He named it “Burbrook.” He completed several other mansions along Farmington Road’s “Mansion Road.’

One of his last grand homes was built in Farmington for E. Moseman. He wanted it built in a Cotswold style with Indian Bedford limestone. To save costs, the limestone was salvaged from the recently demolished Federal Building in Detroit.

I believe Burrowes created five libraries in the Detroit area not including any work in Canada. I do not know much about the Parkman Branch, other than that it is a massive Tudor design, which also contains the famed Mary Conover Room. He also did the magnificent
Gabriel Richard Branch. This particular library was created with the utmost detail and thought. It had huge 16-paned windows and beautiful Oriels.

The Redford library was actually first built as the Redford Village Hall. It was turned into a Detroit Library in 1925 or so. It was or is located near Redford High School. It had an eclectic English look to it. I think it closed in the 1970’s and was turned into some government agency. Is it still standing???

The classically-inspired Divie Duffield Branch, was built in 1916. Named after Divie Duffied, president of the Detroit Library Commission and the one who got the ball rolling in regards to the creation of the cultural center.

I’d have to say that Burrowes’ crowning achievement was the McGregorLibrary
in Highland Park. W. Hawkins Ferry Billed it as “one of the most attractive classical buildings in Detroit.” The firm of Tilton and Githens of new York City was chosen because of their excellent example in Wilmington, Delaware. They partnered with Burrowes because of his Michigan license and good working reputation.

Wayne County Training School in Northville.
Barber School in Highland Park.
-Highland Park Athletic Fieldhouse???
-GP Hunt Club Clubhouse???
-GP Golf Club Clubhouse???
-People’s State Bank in Detroit
Greenmead park/Farm, in Livonia (renovations)
Gates to Grand Lawn Cemetery on Telegraph.
Methodist Children’s Home in Redford.
Pewabic.
-Worked on Highland Park YMCA and YWCA
-GP Municipal Building
-Springwells Town Hall-Fordson Municipal Building-Dearborn City Hall
Birmingham City Hall.
Starr Commonwealth in Albion.

Burrowes had an office in the Architect’s Building at 415 Brainard Street. Noted architect Richard Marr also worked out of this office.

-President of Detroit Chapter of the American Institute of Architects 1916-17
-President Michigan Society of Architects 1923-4
-American Institute of Architects Emeritus 1952

Patrick

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mor info to come and any other works are much appreciated. I will list his works in GP and will try to find out the name of the hotel he did in Sarnia.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice thread, Patrick!! I had no idea that Burrowes was that prolific!!

Burrowes also did the Herman Strasburg House in 1915. An Arts and Crafts design, the Strasburg House is located at 5415 Cass Ave., on the edge of the WSU campus near the Music and Community Arts building. (AIA Detroit, p144)

http://www.detroit1701.org/Str asburg%20Residence.html

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/hi storic/districts/strasburg_hse .pdf

Patrick

Post Number: 3704
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been a lot of unmentioned and underrated architects in Detroit’s history. Willeke, Burrowes, and Richard Marr. Probably a few others as well.

Syd
Username: Syd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link to my site. Burrowes Rocks!

I have some of his blueprints on the site as well.

www.w-c-t-s.com/blueprints

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he have anything to do with the Mosher-Jordan dormitory? That photo looks exactly like M-J.

Patrick

Post Number: 3706
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burrowes had a great deal of talent. Wish people would give him the respect he deserves. I might start threads on other obscure architects as well...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always admired the Redford Branch library as a kid. Very majestic, with high ceilings and a magnificent balcony. It was replaced in 1980 with a souless ugly flat building, the logic being that it was the most used library in the city.
It sat empty for 20 years or so and is currently used as an African-themed Musuem.

Patrick

Post Number: 3709
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surely he had other commissions...know of any others?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6047
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Windsor database I have, has two entires for Burrowes & Wells.

Burrowes and Wells Residential 800 Devonshire R.d d. 1913 "Wallmay" - Dingwall (demolished)
Burrowes and Wells Residential 819 Argyle Rd. d. 1913 Wallmay Carriage House

The Carriage house still stands, and split into two residences. I've been in it, and know the owner of half of it.

The Walker house and the customs office are both long gone.

Any other Ontario works you know of Patrick?

Patrick

Post Number: 3710
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he did a few post offices in Ontario, but I have no idea where. I am sure there are many projects in Ontario that have not been properly documented. He actually died in Canada at his second home.

Syd
Username: Syd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Argus near 6 mile and Lahser.
I remember going to that library all the time. The new one opened in the very late 1970's.

He also did the entrance to Grand Lawn Cemetary on Grand River.

His work is great. I am bummed that the county didnt save any of his stuff in Northville.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, thank you for bringing an architectural appreciation thread back to DYes. It's been a while. Burrowes was a master, and the Booth mansion at 315 Washington, about a mile from where I grew up, could be my dream house.

Aiw

Post Number: 6048
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he didn't do the Sandwich, Ontario one (Windsor's west end), that was done by David Ewart, who also designed the Windsor Armouries near the tunnel. He was the Federal Architect for the department of public works in Ottawa. This was the 1899-1906 period...

Is he burried in Michigan or Ontario? Where was his Ontario home?

I took a quick look through my architectural guides to Ottawa and Toronto, and saw no listing for him in either, not that that means anything.

Aiw

Post Number: 6049
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick... I'm going to guess there might be some of his work in the London Area... I came across this via google:

quote:

2004-02-12 published
PATERSON, Mary Elizabeth (née BURROWES)
Mrs. Mary Elizabeth PATERSON, age 91, of Cedarcroft Place, Stratford and formerly of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and London passed away peacefully at her residence on Wednesday, February 11, 2004. She was born in Detroit, Michigan, March 29, 1912, a daughter of the late Marcus R. BURROWES and the former E. Kathleen PARDEE. Beloved wife of the late Dr. James C. PATERSON who predeceased her in 1973. Loving mother of Perry C. HILL and Mary E. HILL, Stratford and Kathleen B. STEVENSON and Rev. Canon James STEVENSON, Ridgetown. Loving grandmother of M. Elizabeth HILL and husband Michael KOOY, St. Marys, Sarah Luk HILL and husband Victor LUK, Stratford, Rebecca HILL and husband Joseph TUER, Singapore, Louise and husband Herbert KRUSCHKE, Calgary, William STEVENSON and fiancee Robin WEBB, Chatham. Loving great-grandmother of Jack and Peter KRUSCHKE and Hannah Hill KOOY. Besides her husband she was predeceased by sisters Louise and Helen and by a brother Richard. Family will receive Friends at the W. G. Young Funeral Home, 430 Huron Street, Stratford on Saturday, February 14, where the funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. with Rev. Canon James STEVENSON officiating. Reception will follow. As expressions of sympathy, donations may be made to Dr. Graham's Homes, India, the Stratford General Hospital or to the charity of one's choice through the funeral home.

Patrick

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He retired to London, Ontario just eight months before his death in 1953. It is said he designed nearly a thousand structures in the Detroit area.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice thread Patrick. I used to go to the Redford branch library as an elementary school kid in the 60's. Do you have any information on a firm by the name of Verner,Wilheim, Molby, RF Shreive? they designed the Redford theatre (a poor man's John Eberson--copy) and I have not run across that firm's name in association with any other buildings in the D.

Dream
Username: Dream

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Patrick for starting this very informative post on a great architect. Thanks to everyone else for all the great comments and contributions.

For a very comprehensive 34 page feature about Marcus Burrowes (includes many photographs) by Jean M. Fox of the Farmington Hills Historical Commission, please see:

http://www.farmlib.org/localhi st/bpageturn.cgi?id=007&sequen ce=1

To follow is information on Burrowes various projects in Grosse Pointe. As always any additional information or corrections that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Dream

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw & Patrick, I agree with your comments about the Booth House. It is truly spectacular outside and inside and is arguably one of the finest homes in the state.

315 Washington Road
Grosse Pointe
Ralph Harmon Booth (Mary Batterman) House
1924 - 12,000

sold for $940k in 1995
sold for $375k in 1985
sold for $195k in 1978

Early English Renaissance style
- brick and stone exterior with a slate gabled roof
- pair of stone twisted baroque columns surround the front door
- 7 bedrooms, 5.2 baths, 6 car garage (3 attached)

- in 1940s Architect Leonard B. Willeke designed a rose garden and terraces.
- recipient of GPHS plaque in 1987
- 1988 Junior League of Detroit Show House
- featured in W. Hawkins Ferry’s The Buildings of Detroit, p. 299. Picture No. 330]
- both 315 Washington and 34 Beverly are referenced in Ferry’s “Mansions of Grosse Pointe/A Suburb in Good Taste” Please see “Local Weathervane thread for link to free online book”

First Floor:
- most ceilings on first floor are 12.5 feet high
- hand carved stone arches between most rooms

Foyer:
- black marble

Living Room (44 x 22):
- massive stone “walk-in” fireplace from English estate
- fireplace wall and mantle from the Throne Room of Hamilton Palace in Scotland
- ornate plaster ceiling
- walnut parquet floor
- gold leaf ceiling

Dining Room (24 x 17):
- fireplace surrounded by newer custom ceramic tiles
- pecan paneling and hand-carved columns from Hamilton Palace in Scotland
- circa 1590
- bay window

Library (24 x 17):
- fireplace and walnut paneling from Standish Hall, London, England
- circa 1670
- two Adams carved marble mantlepieces
- circa 1740

Music Room (30 x 17):
- fandom width oak floors
- intricately carved plaster moldings
- Maria Theresa Chandelier
- circa 1850

Garden R 26 x 17, K 33 x 12.6

Second Floor:
B 21 x 14, B 18 x 17, B 17 x 17, B 17 x 16, B 11 x 10, B 17 x 24
Sitting Room 26 x 17

Third Floor:
Ballroom plus 2 storage rooms

Lower level:

Recreation Room:
- fireplace
- wet bar

Former residents include:

[1924-1931 Ralph Harmon Booth (Mary Batterman) - President/Booth Newspapers]
- Ralph Booth
- (d 1931)
- brother of George G. Booth (Cranbrook)
- President/Booth Newspapers
- 1918: Ralph H. Booth appointed first president of the city's newly formed Arts Commission
-responsible for convincing the City of Detroit to construct the current Detroit Institute of Arts at cost of approximately $4.000 million.
- US Minister to Denmark (1930-1931)
- 1931: Ralph Booth died leaving $250,000 to DIA museum for acquisitions
-many donations of art to the DIA including, Gutzon Borglum’s Head of Lincoln

Mary:
- (d. 1951)
- Children:
- John Lord Booth
- Virginia Kingswood Booth
[1931-1951 Mary Batterman Booth - widow of Ralph Harmon Booth]
[1952-19 Frances L. Houser Chalmers - widow of Hugh Chalmers]
- Hugh Chalmers - President/Chalmers Motor Car Company
[moved from 1022 Seminole, Detroit(1908-1910), 1453 Iroquois (1911- 1929) 472 Lakeland, GPC (1929-1952)]
[+1960-1978 Wesley J. Peoples (Margarite Doherty)]

Dream

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great Burrowes house, just a few blocks over, with a fascinating history of inhabitants.
34 Beverly Road
Grosse Pointe Farms
1913 - 10,450
Sidney Trowbridge Miller (Lucy Trumbull Robinson) House

- Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Large English Cottage style composed of a variety of wall planes, window arrangements, roof shapes and materials. Stucco first story, second story combination of stucco and wood shingle
roofs range from hipped to gambrel. Stuccoed 3 car garage with very high pitched roof above the carriage house.
- 9 bedrooms, 4.2 baths, elevator, formal and service staircases, 6 fireplaces, large Living Room with butternut paneling, large Dining Room (31 x 18.5) with fireplace

[1913-1940 Sidney Trowbridge Miller (Lucy Trumbull Robinson) - Attorney/Miller Canfield]
- (1864-1940)
- son of Sidney Davis Miller (Katherine Sproat Trowbridge)
- Attorney/Miller, Smith, Paddock & Perry
- Considered “father” of Michigan’s oldest law firm - Miller Canfield.
Miller Canfield is also Michigan’s largest law firm
Firm was actually founded in 1852 in Detroit by his father, Sidney Davy Miller but was transformed by his son from a small office to a large firm.
Joined father’s firm in 1888 after Harvard Law School.
Sidney T. Miller was the managing partner from 1904-1940.]
- used as his summer home between 1914-1924 then as full time residence

(Side note. In 1925 his son, Sidney T. Miller, Jr., who had been living here with his wife Caroline Fay Alger moved out and built a house designed by Architect Robert Ovens Derrick at 248 Provencal Road. The Provencal home was later purchased by Walter Buhl Ford, II (Josephine Clay Ford). This is the house that was recently razed and is the subject of the “Local weathervane sells” thread.)

Children:
- Sidney Trowbridge Miller, Jr. (Caroline Fay Alger)
(248 Provencal, GPF)
- Elizabeth Trumbull Miller Mitchell Byrd (1890- )
[moved from 1432 E. Jefferson, Detroit]

[1926-1936 William “Billy” Lendrum Mitchell (Elizabeth “Betty” Trumbull Miller)
Billy:
- famous General
- (1879 - 1936)
- married Elizabeth T. Miller in 1922
- famous General
- pioneer of “American Air Power”
- WWII airplane the B-25 bomber was called the “B-25 Mitchell” in his honor

Children:
- Lucy Trumbull Gilpin (Kenneth Newcomer Gilpin, Jr.)
- (b. 1925)
- William Lendrum Mitchell, Jr.
- (b. 1929)

[1936-1943 Elizabeth Trumbull Miller - widow of Gen. Billy Mitchell]

[1943-1950 Thomas B. Byrd (Elizabeth Trumbull Miller) - Orchadist]
- (1890-1968)
- youngest and last survivor of Virginia's famed Tom, Dick and Harry Byrd brothers
- Dick, better known as Admiral Richard E. Byrd, was the great Antarctic explorer
- Harry was a pillar of the U.S. Senate from 1933 to 1965
- Tom oversaw the family fortune in Shenandoah Valley apple orchards
[1950-1963 Edward Burns Caulkins, Jr. (Esther “Elsie” Louise McMillan)]
Edward: - son of Edward Burns Caulkins (Bertha A. Bliss)
(33 Hendrie Lane, GPF)

Dream

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Tiffany Cole (Alice Jerome Day) House
394 Lakeland
Grosse Pointe
1923 - 9,000

English Tudor
10 bedrooms, 6.4 baths
selling for $1.495m in 2006
sold for $560k in 1992
sold for $423k in 1989

[1923-1930+ Henry Tiffany Cole (Alice Jerome Day)]
- son of Delos O. Cole (Isabella Tiffany)
Children:
- Ruth Cole
- Marie Cole
[+1942-1943+ Cyril John Edwards (Janet Lewis)]
Children:
- Cyril John Edwards, Jr.
(162 Vendome, GPF)
- Stevenson Lewis Edwards
[moved to 290 Provencal, GPF]
[1958-1983 Margaret Gibson Brown Fisher - widow of William Paul Fisher]
William:
- (1908-1957)
- second oldest child of Charles Thomas Fisher (Sarah Kramer)
(670 W. Boston, Detroit)
- automobile dealer
- noted Polo player
- built PT Boats for Navy during WWII

Margaret
- (1912-2003)
[moved to 372 Chalfonte, GPF, moved from 101 Lenox, Detroit]
[1983-1985 Robert J. Duquet (Frances A.)]
[1985-1989 David Griem (Carolyn J. Slasinski) - Attorney]

Dream

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berrien E. Eaton (Gladys Hambleton) House
1018 Bishop Road
Grosse Pointe Park
1921 - 10,000

Stone French Normandy

- in 1983 an electrical fire destroyed the 2 story mahogany library, now an outdoor courtyard]
- 7 fireplaces - 5 indoor and 2 outdoor

sold for $950k in 2004
sold for $320k in 1983

[1922-1963 Berrien E. Eaton (Gladys Hambleton) - President/Rainbow Color & Paint Co.,
- Eaton Clark Co.
- Eaton Tower
- 3rd generation of his family to head the company
Children:
- Berrien E. Eaton, Jr.

[1964-1979 Wilfred A. Riddel (Roma) - Physician]
[1979-1983 John R. Axe (Cathy) - Attorney]

Dream

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leavitt James Bulkley (Eleanore Rohnert) House
854 Edgemont Park
Grosse Pointe Park
1924 - 5,500

[1924-1930+ Leavitt James Bulkley (Eleanore Rohnert)]
[+1949-1951+ Yates Gorham Smith (Marjorie Spemce)]
[19 -1983 Marjorie Spemce Smith - widow of Yates Gorham Smith]
[1983-2005 John R. Urso (Gail M.) - Attorney/Urso & Associattes]
- former Judge for Grosse Pointe Park
Gail - Urso Designs, Inc.
- Interior design firm

Dream

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edward Burns Caulkins (Bertha A. Bliss) House
33 Hendrie Lane
Grosse Pointe Farms
1926 - 5,100
“The Middle House”

White clapboard Colonial

[1926-1932+ Edward Burns Caulkins (Bertha Ames Bliss)]
Children:
- Rufus Caulkins
- Edward Burns Caulkins, Jr. (Elsie Louise McMillan)
(34 Beverly, GPF)
[moved to 304 University, GPC]
[+1943-1945 J. Henry Pichler (Alice MacDonald Burch)]
[1945-1945+ E. E. Butler - President/Vinco & Roger]
[+1960-2005 Richard Humphery Turner (Emily Dixon)
- (1927-2005)
- married in 1948
- son of James Turner (Pamela W. Tappey) (330 Provencal, GPF)
- founder of National Guardian Company

Dream

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charles Beecher Crouse (Ruth Woodruff) House
1005 Cadieux
Grosse Pointe Park
1925 - 4,250

[1925-1928+ Charles Beecher Crouse (Ruth Woodruff)]
[1950-1957 Karl O. Van Leuven, Jr. (Hallie C.) - Architect]
- moved from California to design Northland, Eastland, Westland and Southland Malls
- 1944 joined Gruen & Krummeck Partnership in Los Angeles, CA
- Head of firms Detroit office
[1957-1960 Karl O. Van Leuven, Jr.]
[1960-1974 Albert F. Welch (Annetrude)]
[1974-1983 Robert L. Whaley (Judith A.)]

Dream

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

437 Lakeland - RAZED
Grosse Pointe

- burned to the ground in a fire (1990s???)
H. Robert Stocpel (Eleonore Rohnert) House
English Tudor
1925 - 5,100

Other local projectx:
(At Cranbrook)
- Cranbrook Academy’s Greek Theatre (1915),
- Twin Cottage (1910),
- Boat House (1917)

Cranbrook was originally home of George G. Booth (Ellen Scripps)
- most buildings on central campus of Albion College in a modified Tudor style

in the City of Detroit:
- Architects Building (1924)
415 Brainard, Detroit - designed and occupied by prominent architects such as Richard - H. Marr. - Site of Burrowes office until 1940.

- Herman Strasburg House a/k/a WSU Music Annex (1915)
5415 Cass, Detroit

Article on the Burrowes designed Frank W. Blair (Ellen) House in Lake Orion:

http://www.signaturemag.com/ro chester/content/index.php?opti on=com_content&task=view&id=42 &Itemid=26

Patrick

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Burrowes did any housing projects for the government? I know a majority of the architects in the 30's and 40's did take these projects for the money.

Patrick

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burrowes and Richard Marr both had offices in the Architects building on Brainard. Marr designed this building as well. Did they have any business connections? Is there any information on Richard Marr at all??? I know he did something like 14 homes in Palmer Woods, most were Tudors. It is so hard to find anything on this architect. His career had to have been prolific, yet it goes undocumented.

This is the Meyer L. Prentis home. He was either a lawyer or account for GM. I cannot remember which. He came from Hungary and worked his way up. It was rags to riches story indeed. This mansion clearly displays success. Clearly this is one of the absolute finest homes ever built in the Detroit area in my opinion.

So, what about Richard Marr????

text description of image

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to follow up here and say thanks to Dream for all that info. I did not know that any of those, other than 315 Washington, were by Burrowes.

Historyguy
Username: Historyguy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come across the firm of Verner, Wilhelm Molby once--as the architects of the Foch Elementary School--which is next door to Southeastern High on Fairview in Detroit's east side.

Patrick

Post Number: 4489
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Verner, Wilhelm Molby did ma number of theaters if I am not mistaken...