Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tiger Stadium Memories « Previous Next »
  Start New Thread        

Top of pageBottom of page

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have memories of Tiger Stadium you wish to share? Use the message box below to share them. Or click Start New Thread to start a new special topic. Enjoy!
Top of pageBottom of page

Cxbob54
Username: Cxbob54

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have so many memories of Tiger Stadium. My first game was when I was in first grade. My Dad took my older brother and I to a Fydrich's comeback game in '80 or '81, I can't exactly remember what year. I still have the "The Bird's the Word" button with Big Bird in a Tiger's uniform. It was the most incredible experience ever. Walking through the dark concourse with the smooth white bricks on the inside wall and then entering a tunnel that opens up into another world with beautiful green grass was completely unforgetable. That is one thing that I don't particularly care for at Comerica Park. There is no anticipatition to get your first glimpse of the field because you can always see it, even from outside. I had the chance to go to a couple games in '99, and toward the end of the year, security let you go pretty much anywhere you wanted to for pictures and I took a whole roll of film in the old park. I'm very glad that I did.
My Grandma saw Ty Cobb play at The Corner. My Dad saw Kaline, Cash, Lolich and others play there. I saw Trammell, Whittaker and Gibson play there. It is going to be sickening when it is torn down, but I'd rather have it go than see it rot away.
Here is what I propose happens before Tiger Stadium is torn down. I don't know how to go about making it happen, but I'd love to see it work. Open it up one last time for some really hardcore fans and history buffs. Get an old former Tiger player as a tour guide. There are tons of them around. I see Dave Rosema at tons of autograph sessions and trade shows for one. Have a "Behind the Scenes" tour of Tiger Stadium. Go through the back offices and press box where Ernie Harwell sat. Go through the training rooms and locker rooms. I want to see the "Visitor's Locker Room, No Visitor's" sign. Go throught the tunnel into the dugout where all of our heros walked and sat. Let us explore the feild and take some photos from the vantage point of a player. Let us see what the pitcher saw. Let us see a view from the catcher's perspective. Let us stand in Kaline's Corner. Have personal stories and historical nuggets of information along the way. To top off the tour, let everyone fill a 2 ounce container with clay from the warning track that we get to collect ourselves as the souveneir of a lifetime. Charge $100 for this privilage. If the word would get out on the Tiger's website, I would be shocked if no fewer than 5,000 wanted to do it. This would be half a million dollars that could be used for the possible Corktown museum they are considering, or used in part to preserve certain areas of the park such as the dugouts and pressbox. Maybe it's my personal desire to see all of this first hand before it's gone, but I have a feeling that there are plenty of people out there who feel like me. If you do, please share it!

(Message approved by admin)