Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The Early Detroit Polish Community... » The Early Detroit Polish Community - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 1029
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Anton Dlugi House was located at 4455 Riopelle and according to “The USGENWEB Project” claims the oldest part of the house antedates 1886. Also, that “this house was the site of the first services for the Sweetest Heart of Mary parish in 1886 while its pastor, Rev. D. Kolasinski was in North Dakota from 1886-1888.”

I went to this area the other day to see if I could find any traces of the Dlugi House but not only could I not find a trace of the house but I couldn’t even find that part of Riopelle anymore.

I took a photo and here is what I did find by dead reckoning with the Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic Church in the background.
dlugi
I believe the spot where the fence is located is where the Dlugi House sat. It makes sense because the first services for the Sweetest Heart of Mary parish were held here and the church is visable in the photo. Of course this is looking South and slightly West. I have looked all over the web but cannot find a photo of the Dlugi House.

Does anyone out there have a photo of this historic Polish site, the Anton Dlugi House?

Livedog2

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1500
Posted From: 63.157.70.181
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try searching around this site, I haven't looked through all of it yet, so I'm not sure what all is there.

Michigan Polonia

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3682
Posted From: 70.227.14.100
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1848 "revolutions" in Europe impacted Detroit with an influx of immigrants looking for freedoms and opportunities not available to them in the land of their birth.

Interesting possibly, to compare the rise of the economies of the the "cheap labour" of the "Third World" countries to our own history.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh!?

Livedog2

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3683
Posted From: 70.227.14.100
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think!

It may hurt at first, but the pain goes away.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how to think and your implication that I don't or can't think is uncalled for and inappropritae. All that I wanted to know was how all that blather you wrote had to do with a photo of the Anton Dlugi House. I have always dealt directly with you with respect but that hasn't been the case with you towards me! Instead of your passive/aggressive bushwacking I would have hoped you might have helped with the question. I also don't deal in sideways anger that comes out in your obvious sarcasim. If you have something to say to me maybe you might try the direct approach because you will get that with me! You know how to get in touch with me off of the Forums and if you have an issue with me you might show me the courtesy of saying it to me in private. I have tried to do that with you to no avail. You may not like what I say but there is no ambiguity or cowardly misdirected attacks in what I have to say to you or anyone else!! Show some respect and honor if you know what that means.

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bring it back to the top to see if anyone can answer the question.

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, since there doesn't seem to be much info or photos of the Anton Dlugi House let's move onto another site.

Does anyone have any photos of the Polish Daily News Building located on the south side of Canfield east of Riopelle prior to its burning down? It was the home of the PDN from 1905 umtil the 1960's.

Livedog2

(Message edited by livedog2 on August 29, 2006)

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, I have some old pics from my grandmother of the building. As soon as I find them, I will scan them & post.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great, Detroitej72!

It would be nice if we could get some interest in the Detroit Polish Community like I did with Detroit Jews!! I know there are a lot of Detroit Poles out there but it's hard to get them going or else they're not on DetroitYES. Who knows which!?

Livedog2

Detroitej72

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, as a proud member of Detroit's Polish Community, I will be more than happy to contribute.

This weekend, I am going to the area around St. Albetus and take some photos of old Polish structures. I will post them after I download them.

Detroitej72...Proudly Polish!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1321
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the early Poles were from the German-controlled part. When the Poles from the Austrian-controlled part of Poland came to Detroit, the bishops did not want to build any churches for them.

That led to some local holy wars and eventual excommunication of some southern Polish priests, etc. which lasted as long as it took the bishop to realize just how much money was going to the excommunicated churches in Poletown.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.79.82.108
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog,
I can't answer any of your questions but I have one of my own. There is huge brick building on E. Forest. I think it's between St. Aubin and Dubois. It's on the left (north?) side. The cornerstone says Dom Polski. I've never had a chance to stop and take a look. Do you know what that place is/was? It's still in pretty good shape.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is, Ordinary. And, it is still so beautiful.

dom

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^
|
|
|
This one above is the Eastside Dom Polski.

This one below is the Westside Dom Polski.

dom2

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1528
Posted From: 66.2.148.108
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this list of early Polish landmarks.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~miway ne/polonia.html

The Westside Dom Polski became:

http://www.detroitpolonia.org/

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 209.100.226.49
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polish Detroit and the Kolasinski Affair by Lawrence Orton is a must read if you're interested in 19th century Polonia. I got it in the library in the Chicago area, so it's got to be readily available in the Detroit area.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been working from that list, Hornwrecker trying to document in photos each item on the list but it's been a challenge. Many of the places are long gone and trying to find photos of the places from back in the day has been difficult to say the least. The Poles don't seem to have as good a historical record of their footprints as say the Detroit Jews. Or, if they do they haven't shared it with the "greater world" outside of their circles. Everybody I have contacted about their photos of Detroit Polonia has a book in the works. It's all about money and not history! But, that attitude is not unusual because I run into it in my own family. People covet their knowledge very jealously and for the life of me I don’t know why. I distribute my photos to as many people as I can so that everyone can enjoy the pictures but that’s the exception and not the rule. I’ll qualify that by saying that has been my experience.

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1533
Posted From: 66.2.148.251
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post the locations that you can't find, or were torn down, with the address or cross streets (if possible), and I'll take a look at the maps to see if I can find them.

I've got a box of old photos, mostly from the 1910-30s, that probably have some old Polish organizations, or buildings in them. Now to find where I put them.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, there were 43 total on the list of 100 years ~ Early Historical Sites for Detroit Polonia from The USGenGen Project. I found at least remnants of 23 of them on the list and have photographed them which I will start posting on this thread. The other 20 are the list that follows and these are mostly ones that either the buildings do not exist anymore or there is some confusion about the exact location of the item. In some cases I suspicion that the description is not fully accurate in terms of the exact location. You will see what I mean when I start posting what I have along with the description. I hope you can add photos to the list from back in the days of there operation. All of the photos I have are all contemporary photos from how they look today but if you have photos of ones that I list that are from back in the day I would love to see them.

1. American Car & Foundry Building-- Russell south of the Ford Expressway, building predates 1880. A prime builder of railroad cars and one of the largest employers of the pioneer Poles.

2. Polish Aid Society, now Bray Auto Parts, 5928 Chene, meeting place of the Polish Aid Society from 1955-1961.

3. Anton Dlugi's House, 4455 Riopelle, oldest part of house antedates 1886. This house was the site of the first services for the Sweetest Heart of Mary parish in 1886 while its pastor, Rev. D. Kolasinski was in North Dakota from 1886-1888.

4. Fredro (Harmonia ) Hall, SF corner of Leland and Russell, this building built in 1887 was Detroit's first Polish hall, the site of innumerable meetings and social gatherings.

5. Fredro Theatre Building, Chene between Fredericks and Kirby, designed in 1913 by architects Norm Feldman and Alfred Scaler, one of Detroit's earliest Polish drama stages.

6. Joseph Kulwicki Funeral Home, SE corner St. Aubin and Willis, Detroit's oldest Polish Funeral Home established in 1878 at this location. Officiated at the first burial in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.

7. Alex Lemke Building, SW corner St. Aubin and Willis. This building designed in 1893 housed one of Polonia's first businesses, the Lemke Department Store until 1950. The Lemke Family was one of the leading pioneers of Detroit's Polish colony.

8. Polish Daily News Building, south side of Canfield east of Riopelle. Until destroyed by fire several years ago, this building was the home of the Polish Daily News from 1905 until the 1960's.

9. Polish Daily Record, 1817-19 Forest, this building housed the Polish Daily Record from 1913-33.

10. Polish Protestant Church, SE corner Joseph Campau and Hancock, was built in 1901.

11. Kudronia Hall, now Security Seal Company, 3000 Junction, originally built in 1898 as Kudronia Hall, it was one of the main meeting places of the early West Side Polonia.

12. Felician Motherhouse, St. Aubin and Canfield, SE corner, the Felician Motherhouse stood on this site from 1882 to 1936. When they moved to Livonia, it was used as the Guardian Angel Home until destroyed by fire in 1969.

13. Sweetest Heart of Mary School, Russell and Canfield, building designed by architects Pier and Rohns in 1889 was one of the largest parochial grade and high schools. It was used as the church from 1889 to 1893.

14. Anthony Konus Hall, now Three V Supermarket, 5507 Chene, this building was designed as Anthony Konus Hall in 1904 and an early meeting place of the East Side Polonia.

15. Zynda Brewery Building, Canfield and Riopelle, this building dating to 1890 was the home of the White Eagle (Zynda) Brewery from 1890 to 1950. Today it is used as a warehouse.

16. Detroit Savings Bank, Branch 12, Russell and Canfield, designed by Harry Rill in 1913 was one of the major financial institutions of the early East Side Polonia.

17. White Eagle Cigar Factory, building on Grandy near Warren, once housed the White Eagle Cigar Factory. Detroit's first Polish cigar company was founded in 1889 by I. Wolff.

18. Witkowski Clothiers, Chene and Adele, NW corner, this building once housed Witkowski Clothiers who were founded in 1916.

19. Melin and Gutowski Furniture Company, 1531 Canfield, today this building with the sign, "Phillip Drinkhaus Company" is vacant but from the 1890's to the mid 1920's, was the home of the Melin and Gutowski Furniture Company. This was one of the foremost business enterprises of the early Poles.

20. Wujek Funeral Home, 1414 Canfield, this building was occupied by the Wujek Funeral Home from 1917 to 1953. Previously it had been the photographic studio of Joseph Sowinski from the 1890's to approximately 1915.

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1535
Posted From: 66.2.148.67
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's quite a list. I'll have a look around, but this is going to have to be a long term project, so I suggest husbanding your photos and info to bump the thread along if there are no other participants. This is a worthy topic to do, but I don't really have much source material at hand.

I did start to go through the 30 lbs of old Hamtramack photographs, and initial impressions are that there won't be much of anything there. It seems that my relatives and friends liked to take photos on their front or back steps. I could do a 100 photos of "Stairs of Early Hamtramack".

I remember a link to an old photographers of Detroit in some thread, the site wanted names and addresses for the old studios. I do have quite a few old pics from these, like Smart Set, Pieronek, or Hoffman.

I did learn that my grandmother had the finest yard in Hamtramack for 1949. The prize was enough paint to repaint the house (no substitutions) on 2732 Evaline.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Hornwrecker it is a worthy project that is going to take some effort that's for sure. I will dole out my info a little at a time to try to keep it going and maybe people like Mikem, Hamtramck_Steve, Livernoisyard, Detroitej72, Aiw, 56packman, Kathleen, itsjeff and some of the other serious researches might pitch in and help out on this one.

My grandma had a prize winning yard in Hamtramck on Gallagher right up the street from Hamtramck_Steve. Saturday’s were set aside for cleaning the house, literally, my grandma and grandpa would start off on a ladder in the front of the house with a bucket of soapy water and a broom. They started cleaning the front of the house, the front porch, down the stairs, down the walk, to the sidewalk all the way to the street. Then, after it was all soaped up they took the hose and rinsed it all down. That was the Saturday ritual, every Saturday!

polish

Livedog2

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4926
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas! Poor St. Albertus, The original and the first Polish dominate church in Detroit's lower east side.

Polonia is long gone. Black-folks kick them out, the riots push them further out and Coleman Young and GM turned what's left of Poletown into a Goliath sized brick and steel car making plant.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 4.229.69.57
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Black-folks" ?

Thats BS. The Pols all moved following industry that employed them: follow the factories and youll see where the Polish population went.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4931
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765,

More than that. The growing black community arrived in that area since the late 1940s, the destruction of Black Bottom and Paradise Valley in the mid 1950s cause most Black Detroiters to mirgate further into other Jewish filled Detroit communities in the west side and Polonia and some southern parts and Hamtramck. Even through most folks in Hamtramck don't any more black-folks move further into their proud Polish community.

Now, go take a look at the ethnic demographic map of the growing black communities of Detroit from 1940 to 1970s by logging on the Wayne State University's Centers of Urban Studies/ M.I.M.I.C. And you will Mr. Booza's thesis on the Detroit's Polish communities.

(Message edited by danny on August 31, 2006)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1547
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2: Have you tried the Detroit Public Library's Burton Historical Collection? Their collection of local history is amazing. You can look up these buildings or businesses in their catalog and identify books or newspaper articles or clipping files that may include photos. Also DPL holds the Polish Daily News from 1904 through 1941 on microfilm. If you are looking only for quality printed photos, this may not be the best source, since Burton charges quite a bit for 8x10 photos from their resources. However, if you are looking for any kind of photo or illustration plus information, this is a great resource. Also, I've heard that the Reuther Archives on Wayne State's campus has a lot of photos.

And have you checked with the Hamtramck Public Library to see what they might have in the way of special collections there?

Livedog2

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen but I am on an out-of-town contract at the present and don't get back to Detroit very often. But, I will follow your advice when I do get back. Or, is that when I get black, get black, get black to where I once belonged! A hit song from that famous group called the Black Beatles. Danny just brings it out in me as I'm rolling around on the floor laughing at my own joke! :-) But, back to seriousness, thank you, Kathleen. And, as an aside, Kathleen, do you know what they charge for a B&W 8x10 from the Burton?

Livedog2

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 70.229.231.102
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to think that there will be many Hamtramck images in the Manning Bros. Collection. Where that is housed now - I don't know.

Here's something I found online about the collection:

"Twin brothers William H and John J Manning established Manning commercial photographers in 1906. From the turn of the century through the 1970’s their studio was based in Detroit. Throughout the time the brothers documented the city creating a visual record of the changes that occurred throughout the 20th century. The collection now surpasses 250000 images, from Detroit’s skyscrapers to 'Mom and Pop' grocery stores, virtually every office building, theater, private club, store and major industry in the City of Detroit is captured in the Manning Photographs. In addition to the buildings and the street scenes, commodities and objects of the city from toys to trolley cars are part of this documentation. Each image is fastidiously numbered and cataloged, the bulk of which is stored on its original 8x10 glass negative. What is striking about the Manning photographs is their representation of a city that at once is and is no more and the mystery that surrounds this condition. The collection is surreal in that it is a city embedded within a city it represents. The heir to the collection, Bud Manning, took great care to ensure it would remain in Detroit by selling it to Charles Forbes a land owner recognized for his commitment to historical preservation. At present the collection is hidden away in the backroom on the 9th floor of an obscure office building. Only a fraction of the photographs have been printed. An even smaller fraction of it is published. Nothing has been published specifically about the collection or the brothers. Access to the entire collection is limited. It exists to a certain degree in obscurity - one gets glimpses - hints of its vastness. There is a three volume master index in which the number of each photograph is written along with its date and location and a brief description. This index, of course, is locked away in a safe. Neatly numbered and stacked the collection comprises a library of seeing Detroit. The images testify to what Roland Barthes has called a 'having been there.' More than exercises in nostalgia and aesthetics aiming t abolish the distance between the past and present, they instead ratify the existence of what was. The brothers were commercial photographers and we know for a fact that the majority of the collection was taken for insurance purposes. Originally intended as an insurance against loss in the case of fire or another unforeseen tragedy. Ironically, located in Detroit, the photographs suggest a trauma - the pain associated with mourning and loss. The Manning Collection has the feeling of a fable or myth. To simply disclose it would destroy its power. The fact that one must pass through the city to see it is a significant part of its experience. There is a strange connection between the city and the collection. One is part of the experience of the other. One is the estranged twin of the other."

Livedog2

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sort of like the Sanborn maps, except in image form!

Livedog2

Kathleen

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to the Burton Collection webpage on photos: http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/b urton/graphics/using_photos.ht m

As for the Manning Collection, I believe that Chuck Forbes still owns it, and it was housed in the Palms Building where he had or has offices. And, once again, the last time I checked into it, they were charging $50 per 8x10 photo. For for info, here's their phone number: (313) 963-9800.

Ordinary

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog, That's the place. Thanks.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think part of the reason that there aren't many building/cityscape photos (or front step pictures) from the era is that few people had their own cameras. I bought a book entitled "Images of America: Detroit's Polonia" which is, disappointingly, mostly just family shots - step pics., wedding pics., portait pics. etc. (What should I have expected from a book "authored" by someone named Cecile Wendt Jensen??)

Also, I think the main emphasis of early Polonia photography was to send pics. back to friends and family in the old country.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap that is an amazing story about "Twin brothers William H and John J Manning established Manning commercial photographers in 1906." I would sorely love to get into that collection for about a week. Money always squirrels away things like that. When I lived in Hollywood some years ago a man bought a place called the Silent Movie Theatre and it was exactly what the name implied. The original owners had a complete set of almost all of the major, important works from the silent era but had to sell them because of health expenses on his wife piling up. At any rate the new owner of the Silent Movie Theatre use to tell me that most of the major works from that era existed in private collections but he had a devil of a time trying to get copies so he could show them at the theater. And, when he could get copies the fee was so high from the owners that he couldn’t make any money on showing them. He recently sold out to another concern over his frustration at getting copies of the silent greats to show at the theater. I guess it’s like they say, “Money talks and bullschitt walks!”

Livedog2

Detroitej72

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, You and I seem to share an interest in Polish History. Contact me at my email: ejdetroit@hotmail.com

I would like to corispond privately about Detroit Poles history.

Thanks, detroitej72... Detroit Pole...

Livedog2

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's done, check your hotmail account!

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone out there know where the intersection of Chene and Adele is located? I look at all my current maps and map quest but I can't find Adele street. What are the four (4) streets that bound what use to be the intersection of Chene and Adele? Witkowski Clothiers was housed in a building located there at one time after its founding in 1916.

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1542
Posted From: 66.2.148.131
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's because it is under the Poletown land grab.

Chene and Adele 1930s

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on September 01, 2006)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2790
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12. Felician Motherhouse, St. Aubin and Canfield

I have this picture of the Felician Sisters Academy burning November 3, 1969. Not sure if this fire destroyed the building or not:

Felician Sisters Academy Fire

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 68.253.101.134
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures of Poletown before and during the demolition......

Horn_wrecker
Username: Horn_wrecker

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 216.203.223.68
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a Pure Oil map from 1964 showing the Poletown area. The green lines are where the streets were rerouted, and pretty much everything inside of them and Mt. Elliott/Conant is the GM plant.

Poletown area 1964

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 4.229.141.61
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Sunday, September 24, 2006, St Albertus church will be presenting a slide show and a speaker on Chene Street History. The speaker is Marian J. Krzyzowski from UM who has been collecting information on this Polish-American area for the past four years. The presentation will follow the 11:00AM mass. Anyone who has photos of the old neghborhood is asked to bring them along. Mr. Krzyzowski will scan and return them.

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 4.229.141.61
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, thanks for the rootsweb link. Seeing all the familiar names from my childhood really stirred up some memories.

Lemke's was the place to go at Christmas time. They would set up a huge (or at least in my memory it was huge) toy department and Christmas decorations display. We would stop there on our way home from St. Albertus school to check out the collection.

The Felician Sister's Motherhouse was also the home of my alma mater, Felician Academy, an all girl school, and housed the nuns who taught at St. Albertus.

Although I am not Polish having grown up in this area and spending 12 years in Polish Catholic schools I am probably more familiar with the Polish customs then those of my own nationality.

Ordinary

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.79.89.113
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've posted before on the Sweetest Heart of Mary thread that my 19-year-old son was baptized at St. Albertus. That makes me feel like we were part of history. When did St. Albertus close?

What does Dom Polski mean?

What is Polonia?

Livedog2

Post Number: 1071
Posted From: 66.227.204.151
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, Margarite, Dtown1, Ordinary, Mikem, Detroitej72, Danny, Mtm, Kathleen and the rest of you are doing my heart so much good with your contributions that are making this thread take off. Thank you all or the way they say it in Hamtramck -- "Dziekuje Wszycy!

Livedog2

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 68.253.101.134
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your very welcome. Love talking about detroit and coming up to a final conclusion of the city decline

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far, this looks like the earliest photo in the big box o'photos. I'm not sure if this was taken in Detroit, or even in this country; I'm guessing it is from around the 1900-20 era from the paper. (If you look at the window, there is a proud mother peaking around the lace curtain at her children.)

young Polish dancers

Thankfully, I haven't found any photos of a young Hornwrecker in the red and white striped pants and boots, and I hope none exist.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1150
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^One exists, but I have too much respect for you to post it. (for now)

PSIP

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As do I bro, to post one of you, with your brand new accordian.

p.s. I've found more than one, and have them in safekeeping with my attorney, with the usual instructions.

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this might be of interest to this thread.

Springwells Avenue Baptist Church was Organized originally as the Springwells Avenue Baptist Mission, Which was a Mission to the Polish speaking community. It was organized in 1906, by the then Pastor of the First Polish Baptist Church of Detroit. It was started in the house, that was next door to where the Church is now. House has since been torn down, and a little later on, a paint store was build there. It also was torn down and the properity bought by the Church and the Church expanded. The Church building itself was built in the 1930's, just before the great depression hit. For a short time, the Church met in a Storefront, while the Church was being built. In the 1950's and 1960's Springwells Avenue Baptist Church was running 500 or greater, pictures exist of Chairs being put down the center asles to seat all the people.

Today Springwells Avenue Baptist Church is still there, 100 years later, Still putting out the old fashoned Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Southwest Detroit Area. Pastor Gary Harper is the Pastor. They're an KJV Believing, Fundamental Baptist Church. Stop in sometime, thier Services are as follows:

SUNDAY SCHOOL. . . . . . . . . . . . 10:00 A.M.
SUNDAY MORNING SERVICE . . . . . . . 11:00 A.M.
SUNDAY EVENING SERVICE . . . . . . . 6:00 P.M.
WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY. . . . . . . . 7:00 P.M.

I've been inside this building, and it's absoutely amazing how good that building looks on the inside!

-Scofield

Livedog2

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ordinary, here are some answers to questions you asked:

Dom Polski mean Polish House.

Polonia means the “Polish Diaspora” or the Polish in the U.S. or Detroit or whatever geographic location you are referring to.

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1549
Posted From: 66.19.24.84
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've started entering all of this into an Excel spreadsheet, to better keep track of what's what. The first version should be ready in a couple of days.

I found this Polish Church and Polish Printing Office on the 1889 Sanborn map for 23rd St and Ash St, which is just north of Michigan Ave, and east of Clark St. Anybody know what this church is/was? There was also a Polish School one block north, and possibly it was the first church.

Polish Church Westside 1889

Polish School Westside 1889

This church was not far from the American Car Foundry factory, later the Cadillac Clark St factory, now...?

Livedog2

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, I believe the 2nd Polish Roman Catholic Church in Detroit was St. Casimir's on the Westside but I think it burned down quite a few years ago. I have a book on Catholic Churches in Detroit but I ain't where it is. Just as soon as I get back to where it is I'll verify that fact. I think the one on the Sanborn map might be it.

Livedog2

Kathleen

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several online references confirm that St. Casimir Church was located on 23rd between Ash and Myrtle (today's MLK Blvd.).

According to "Catholic Churchs of Detroit" (p.104), the original church building required so many expensive repairs that a new St. Casimir Church was built and dedicated in 1962, and the original church razed. The parish closed in 1989, but its elementary school still operates as a private school in its original location under the St. Casimir name.

(Message edited by Kathleen on September 03, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 932
Posted From: 4.229.27.200
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is Polonia?"

Its like Polish Balogna. Eat it with some ketchup on some Woderbread with your koolaid and twinkies - yum !

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3229
Posted From: 69.220.69.129
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new St. Casimir's predates 1982, regardless of what the book says.

I used to spend Christmas Eve with Father Gene, Sister Leonard and the parishioners for Midnight Mass and a big meal afterwards in the convent. The parish was about 100 people and dwindling by the late 70's, and most of them were old, old, old. A lot of them were the last of their families still alive, and the only family they had was the parish.

Father Gene and Sister Leonard opened their homes to these folks, and we would often spend the entire night there, walking out to go home as the sun was coming up.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Ham_Steve, that 1982 was a typo...should be 1962. Should have waited until I had that first cup of coffee this morning!!! Thanks for the correction...will fix it in the posting above.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1552
Posted From: 66.2.148.96
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1921 Sanborn map shows what must be the third iteration of St Casimir on the corner of Myrtle and 23rd St.

St Casimir 1921

I'm assuming the one on Ash was the first, then the school/church on 23rd when the congregation got bigger, rasing funds until they could build the final one on Myrtle.

I like the chicken coop attached to the back of the church. Is that really what it was, what else could "coop" mean?

Livedog2

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many Catholic Churches had Credit Unions that they called a coop or Co op or co op meaning cooperative. Maybe that's what it was because people had a hard time getting credit at banks but they could get credit where they worshiped or worked. Just a thought.

Livedog2

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4300
Posted From: 71.236.229.212
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 forgot to mention Alexander Graham Bell Kowalski, the first telephone Pole.

Excellent thread full of solid research and information. Thanks.

jjaba again notes that Detroit is Poletown, Eastside, Westside, suburbs. The notion that Poletown only exists where GM tore down a neighborhood is nuts. Poletown is all over Detroit and the suburbs. They have contributed to Detroit for over 100 yrs. now.

jjaba, proudly Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to jjaba's private sources, there are 554,481 Polish-Americans in Detroit Metro. Ofcourse, Chicago and Detroit each have more Poles than Warsaw, Poland.

Poles have been in Detroit since our Civil War but most can trace their American entry since 1890-1920. Most settled in the Lower Eastside and the Westside around Michigan-Junction, Michigan-Livernois. In 1920, Detroit is 20% Polish.

In 1885, Father Joseph Dabrowski open SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary, America's first Polish Catholic Seminary at St. Aubin and E. Forest Aves.

Poles moved to Hamtramck and up to the Macomb County suburbs throughout the 20th century.

Westside Poles have built the fine neighborhoods on the Westside and have a presence in Western suburbs today. Polish churches and their schools were built in their neighborhoods. Detroit has always had Polish music on the radio.

Hamtramck Steve can tell you all about the Dombrowski School of Dentistry for those of Polish Extraction, also in Metro Detroit.

jjaba.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1157
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PSIP hates it when Jjaba uses the words Extraction and Dentistry in the sentence.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4304
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip tells it like it tis. Now go and floss.

jjaba, may the floss be with you.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: