Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Gone, but not forgotten Restaurants in Detroit » Howard Johnson restaurants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's last HoJo's in Bay Ciy closed recently; anyone remember where the other "orange" roofs were located? Or what they are now?
The one at 8 & Mack became a Bonanza and is now the site of a CVS.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 69.246.10.215
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one at John Lodge and Evergreen in Southfield is a Kerby Koney Island but they still have some decoration from the Howard Johson (wood panelling, etc.)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1292
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The one at 8 & Mack became a Bonanza and is now the site of a CVS.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2765
Posted From: 4.229.72.244
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget that church near Elmwood Cemetery off of Lafayette.... Our Lady of Howard Johnson's! :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1377
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A restaurant on Van Dyke south of 10 Mile is a good candidate for a Ho Jo.

Ho Jo was a bit out of my price range when in college, but I liked their fried? hot dogs with those square toasted and buttered buns.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 67.171.17.254
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started my hotel career at the Howard Johnson's Restaurant and Motor Lodge in Iowa City back when they were still a stand-alone corporation. Worked in the restaurant, front desk, bar, housekeeping - the whole shebang. Loved the unique styling of their properties (they were the ones who started the trend toward large guest rooms, among many other trends that are common today).

To this day I have a fondness for Orange and Turquoise ;-)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1096
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know about Howard Johnson's is that my grandmother worked at one when she was young. I believe this was in Holland somewhere.

Haha. Different times those were.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1293
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a little more information:

Icon of Popular Culture
Throughout the 1940s, '50s and '60s, Howard Johnson's was an icon of popular culture. The orange-roofed buildings were as identifiable as McDonald's arches today, the slogan "28 flavors" as familiar as Baskin-Robbins' later 31.

Howard Johnson's typified the best as well as the worst features of the national, uniform, standardized chain restaurant. A family on a trip looking for a place to eat in an unfamiliar area could always find a Howard Johnson's, it would always be acceptable, and if you happened to like fried clam strips you could be sure they would have them; but it represented boring uniformity as much as dependable familiarity.

Howard Johnson's lived up to its longtime slogans, "Host of the Highways" and "Landmark for Hungry Americans." In fact, its domination of turnpike locations and service plazas was so complete that people began to think of it as a place where they ate while on road trips because they had to, not a place that they went to at home because they wanted to. The nickname "HoJo," eventually officially adopted by the company, was as disparaging as it was affectionate.

The use of the Howard Johnson's name in the 1974 satirical western movie Blazing Saddles indicates the pervasiveness of the restaurant chain at the time. The movie, set in 1874 in the fictional city of "Rock Ridge", features a bogus "original" Howard Johnson's Restaurant, which offers "1 Flavor." Reference is made to "the orange roof on Howard Johnson's outhouse", and the joke is furthered as every citizen in town is surnamed "Johnson".

The band NRBQ made a song named Howard Johnson's Got His Ho-Jo Working for their 1972 album, Scraps. The song was released during the time of popularity of Howard Johnson's restaurants.

Howard Johnson's name also appeared in the Stanley Kubrick's classic science fiction movie 2001: Space Odyssey and was depicted as 'Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room'. Also, a location along the Illinois Tollway was featured in the 1980 film The Blues Brothers.

Although Howard Johnson's fit into U.S. history in many ways, perhaps the most significant event to take place at a Howard Johnson's restaurant occurred in connection with the Watergate scandal in 1973. There are several versions of the incidents which took place there. According to one of them, some of the Watergate burglars gathered at the Howard Johnson's restaurant which was across the street from the Watergate building, where the burglary of the Democratic National Committee offices was to take place. When the first group of burglars broke into the office, they were supposed to flash the office lights on and off quickly, so that other burglars in the restaurant would see the signal and know that the burglary had taken place. Other versions maintain that the restaurant was often used for meetings of the burglars, for reconnaissance of the Demo. Committee office, and other purposes.

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. sends up the pervasiveness of the orange-roofed restaurants in the title story of his 1968 anthology Welcome To The Monkey House, in which he suggests "ethical suicide parlors" located next to every Howard Johnsons in an overpopulated future.

Building designs:
The Howard Johnson's company had about 5 distinct building designs for its restaurants and 3 different designs for the gate lodge lobbies over the course of the company's existence. These were:

Restaurants
Colonial House design - This pre-and-post-World War II design was modeled after the company's home state of Massachusetts and the design of the state's many residential homes of the time. The only difference was the adding of the orange roof.
Nims design - This design was introduced in the late 1950's to modernize the company's image, and to reflect the changing times in America. It was designed by architect Rufus Nims.
Concept 65 - This was the largest post WWII design; the restaurants' roof shape tended to reflect the shape of the motor lodge office, or "gate lodge." It was only used at a handful of heavy-business locations. It was also the largest of the restaurant concepts.
T Shaped design - It is hard to tell if this was the actual terms used for this design, but it is pretty self explanatory. They were basically smaller versions of the Concept 65 design, with a shorter pitched roof.
Mansard - The 1970's brought on the last of the original company's building of Howard Johnson's restaurants. By this time, the company was more focused on its motor lodges and other restaurant concepts. This was also the least popular style of HJ Restaurants, because it didn't have the same charm and familiar feeling as the older restaurants did.

Motor Lodges
Ranch gate lodge - This ranch style house design on the motor lodges lobbies were designed by HJ restaurant architect Rufus Nims and Karl Koch. This design was eventually dropped in favor of the A Frame design.
A Frame gate lodge - This was the most popular and most recognized design of the motor lodge lobbies. It was used for at least 20 some years, and came in many different forms, including drive under canopies, and other motor lodges had only one of the A frames gables sticking out of the building.
Mansard - This was the last of the motor lodge lobby designs for the HJ Company. This was to tie in with the mansard restaurants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H oward_Johnson%27s

It makes me miss it without even knowing it!!!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the one at Second and the BOulevard, or at Michigan and Washington!

A few years ago I was driving back from the cabin with mom. She wanted to stop at the Ho-Jo's in Bay City. It was disgusting. The place was a pig sty, several tables were left unbussed the entire time we were there, a table of kids had made a mess leaving food in an aisle and this was not addressed. I was sort of sad to he the Ho-Jo's go, but if the owner or management ran a bad biz, can you blame it for going out?

Hysteria

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the cabin, Planner?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 609
Posted From: 35.12.21.185
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tons of historical info on this site:
http://www.roadsidefans.com/ho jo.html

It was updated as late as this March, and notes that there are only 4 Howard Johnson's restaurants still open: Bangor, ME--Lake George, NY--Lake Placid, NY--Waterbury, CT.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 35.12.21.185
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And on this site also
http://hojoland.homestead.com/

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 70.236.175.161
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Ho Jo in Livonia on Six Mile near Newburgh; I believe there is a Red Robin restaurant there now. When I was in high school one of my good friends took me to Ho Jo for my birthday...it was all about getting one of those little chocolate birthday cakes for free.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 925
Posted From: 68.42.171.216
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Ho Jo on 8 mile between Ryan and Mound, it later became Westfields and then the Boston fish Market that burned in 1985. It was the sight of McDonalds today.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14 mile just off I-75. I believe it's a Joe Muer restaurant now.

Of course you have former Detroit Tiger and NY met, Howard Johnson.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 625
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a HoJo on east side of Woodward in HighlandPark....just south of the uber-swanky Cavalier Motor Lodge....a one-time drum and fife-themed motor court motel cum New Jack City crack-o-mat. Fried clams Ahoy! I am not sure but I recall it being bulldozed in favor of an empty weed-and grabage strewn lot....maybe 7-8 years ago or so.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2441
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on Grand River in Redford...
Hojo's was great in my parent's day.
They were the last people to drag me to a Hojo's in Pittsburgh, 1989. I got food poisoning bad, and was writhing and horizontal for a couple days.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a HoJo's on the east side of Telegraph Rd. just south of Ford Rd. It closed around 25 years ago and the building became a Ram's Horn. That eventually closed as well and the building became a bank. Apparently, the conversion left a lot to be desired because a few years later the building was razed and a new Fifth Third Bank was built at that location.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on September 08, 2006)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1091
Posted From: 69.218.76.59
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a HoJo's right at 13 and Woodward, on the east side...where the new CVS pharmacy is.

All you can eat clam night would get a little rowdy. It was a good place to eat in the late '70s after a night out, when it was briefly open 24 hours. But that led to its demise, with a lot of drunks and people running out on their bills.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1379
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 8/Mack Howard Johnson's was owned by Al Sherman and his wife, Sue. They also owned a home on the east bluff of Mackinac Island, about three doors down (up, actually,) from the Grand Hotel. Their summer place was painted in the HoJo's colors, and it stuck out like a sore thumb from all its white-painted neighbor's homes.
I believe that the Sherman home sufferd a fire, was never rebuilt and the property is now a park.

Gistok

Post Number: 2768
Posted From: 4.229.72.105
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The HoJo's have been replaced by the new icon of motor travel.... the Cracker Barrel.... advertising itself as a Restaurant & Country Store... but what they don't tell you is what country the store is... China! Nearly every "quaint" thing in that country store comes from China.... Sad really.

It makes one wonder why people are so up in arms about the Flag Burning Amendment, when most American flags are now marked "MADE IN CHINA".

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1566
Posted From: 66.19.17.132
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY , that restaurant, Haney's(?), on the west side of Van Dyke near Stephens, was a Howard Johnson's in a past life.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a HoJos on 8 mile at Coolidge, and on Woodward in Highland Park.
I remember when HoJos had all of the rest stop food concessions on the Ohio and Pennsyvania turnpike. The worst overpriced high school cafeteria food you could imagine.

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 70.53.98.48
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.orangeroof.org is a great site for HoJo fans.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 65.112.56.3
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet merciful crap. A Howard Johnsons Tribute site?
What's next, a Denny's tribute site? www.crappingmypants.org

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 75.10.91.78
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday eves at the 10 / Evergreen HoJos was Fried Clam night. My parents and I went religiously in the late 70s. I also recall getting back from plays at Meadowbrook or Henry Ford Theaters and stopping at that HoJos for a Giant Multi flavored Scoop Sundae. Some of the Matchbooks I was trying to sell in this site’s flaccid classified section were from HoJos.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just knew that place on Van Dyke, north of Stephens, had to have been a Ho Jo in a past life. Our Eastpointe morning softball team get our jerseys and hats from them. So we would feed there afterwards from May through November.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Member Username: Hysteria

Where's the cabin, Planner?"

On the Cusp of the Huron National Forest. In a tiny burgh known as Clear Lake in Ogemaw County. The area is known for being pitted with lakes (a la Orchard Lake area, Deer, Turkey, Bear, large stands of mixed and pine forests, as well as a managed jack pine area for the Kirtland Warbler.

The cabin is small, but it appears to have been built by a student of FlLW, with post and beam construction, and a thunderbird roofline with a large overhang. The family I bought it from was from the Bay City/Saginaw area and was the orginal owner, would it not be a hoot if it was and Alden Dow? I saw the main room and was floored by it and bought it on the spot, even before I figured out the funding!

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 69.14.92.85
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one on Telegraph was not razed, I've lived around the corner most of my life. After it closed it was bought by the Andoni family who turned it into "Andoni's. They than turned it into a Sheids Pizza. The Family finally sold out to 5/3 who remodled it into the bank. the original building remains with an addition and drive up atm/teller

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4056
Posted From: 69.212.58.61
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a period in the late 1980's and early 1990's Howard Johnson had an elite level combination of power and speed. Three times a 30-30 man. Trading him for Walt Terrell was a mistake in hindsight. Although despite his great bat, one had to hold their breath anytime a ball came anywhere near him at third base. Terrible glove man.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1565
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pffft:

You said: There was a HoJo's right at 13 and Woodward, on the east side...where the new CVS pharmacy is.

We were thinking that the HoJo's was where the current Walgreen's at 13 and Coolidge is...and there was a Ground Round on that site until it was razed for the Walgreen's. Wasn't the Ground Round in the original HoJo building?

Pffft

Post Number: 1092
Posted From: 69.218.76.59
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Kathleen you may be right. Because yeah, the Ground Round was in the same HoJo's building.

When I was straining my brain to recall which side of Coolidge HoJo's was on, I thought it was there at 13. Thanks for the correction.

Maybe next time I'm in Walgreen's I'll pick up the aroma of fried clams...!

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 67.171.17.254
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, Ground Rounds were a HoJo Brand. They were supposed to be their "upscale" restaurant.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Howard Johnson Motor Lodge on West Grand Boulevard in Detroit was "famous" for being the site of Winter Soldier Investigation, which was held over three days on January 31 - February 2, 1971. John Kerry and his fellow Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW) met at HoJo's to document war crimes that they had allegedly participated in or witnessed during their combat tours in Vietnam. A Detroit News article from 1971 mentioned that the Detroit hearings were interrupted by the angry wife of a Vietnam prisoner of war. “You’re using these people for your own ambitions, Mr. Kerry,” she shouted.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 68.61.16.59
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there was one at Hall Road between Van Dyke Expressway and Schoenher.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be a HoJo's in Ypsi on Carpender Road that we'd hit on both Fried Clam and Fried Chicken nights. Year before I got to Eastern, I understand the annual WHUR Banquet was held there on Fried Chicken night, a booking mistake by the resturant they never repeated again.

I also liked the resturant in the Motor Hotel on Washington Blvd. Clam Roll and a cup of coffee was lunch when I worked at Crosby's Shoes on Woodward.....

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.21.45.150
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to a post from above:

On the site of the present-day Red Robin on 6 Mile in Livonia, there was once a Bill Knapp's restaurant. I don't know if it was ever a Howard Johnson's, but your mentioning of a free chocolate cake seems to indicate that it was a Knapp's (I enjoyed this promotion for several years) and not a HoJo.

Rossco
Username: Rossco

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 65.42.241.57
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a hojos and Franks Press Box Bar in Lansing that were demolished and replaced with a Lowes.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker and Livernois Yard...

Haney's certainly was a Hojo's during the Fifties and Sixties. Russ Haney now owns the place, and he still features an all you can eat Fish or Clam dinner on Friday evenings. During lent, you can't stir the people with a stick. The food is always good, and Russ has a great staff.

It became Haney's in the Mid 80's. I can remember when it was a Hojo's and it operated 24/7.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When traveling on the Lodge Freeway north of Livernois (around Meyers?), I have spied a roofline along the northbound service drive which has always looked to me like a Ho-Jo restaurant. It would be along the Couzens section.

Is anyone able to confirm this? I've often thought about driving by, but it's never been convenient.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 7 listed in a 1967 phone book:

W Grand Blvd & 3rd
Washington Blvd & Michigan
20460 Mack, GPW
13400 W 8 Mile, Oak Park
36685 Plymouth, Livonia
1620 N Telegraph, Dearborn
24447 Van Dyke, Center Line

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will find photos of the Howard Johnson's Restaurant on Woodward in Highland Park, which was adjacent to the 164 room Monterey Motel.

Both were owned at one time (1961) by P.L. Grissom, who at that time also owned a 74 room motel with an adjacent Howard Johnson's in Belleville near I-94.

P.L. Grissom was one of the four Grissom brothers (the others were Arthur, Thomas and Ernest) who owned numerous auto dealerships in Detroit and the surrounding areas beginning back in the early 1930s. The "P" in "P.L." stood for "Purnie" and you were not allowed to call him by his first name a second time. At various times, P.L. owned C&R/P.L.Grissom Chevrolet on West Fort at Livernois, Ideal Olds on Fort St. and Jefferson Chevrolet.

Changing the subject slightly, I have a 1986 advertisment that shows the HoJo's in Center Line had already been converted to Vern Haney's Restaurant. I remember reading somewhere (but cannot find it right now) that Mr. Haney had been the HoJo franchisee at that location and eventually decided to make a go of it on his own.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Howard Johnson's featured food designed by Jacques Pepin...makes one wonder. I remember the Coolidge and Eight Mile joint and catching frogs in the area. Across the street from HoJo's was one of those cool white hamburger "joints", not a Green's....but it was just as good. The building immediately across Eight Mile from HoJo's was Sklare Draperies, a WONDERFUL Mies influenced Modern structure with huge plate glass display windows that faced Eight Mile and Coolidge. Sadly, that building today, has all the window piercings bricked in.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeG,

My wife picked up a carry-out menu for Haney's and on the Restaurant logo it clearly says, Since 1985.

Your commments on the Grissoms is very interesting.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hojos at Maple and Telegraph in Bloomfield Township is now Hogan's. The same family owns it now as in Hojo days.

Pffft

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric c wrote: When traveling on the Lodge Freeway north of Livernois (around Meyers?), I have spied a roofline along the northbound service drive which has always looked to me like a Ho-Jo restaurant. It would be along the Couzens section.

I just drove by this building today and it was definitely a HoJo's back in the day. Roof's still orange tile, and it's in a classic HoJo's type location, on a busy large (James Couzens) road (if not a freeway). It might have pre-dated the Lodge, or maybe not. I'd guess yes.

What I want to know is, is there any HoJo relationship with the shopping center on Greenfield that's been there forever (I remember it as a kid from the '60s), it's made up of two or three large buildings, all have massive orange tile roofs and the buildings are trimmed in turquoise. It used to be called "New Orleans Plaza" or some such...?

(Message edited by pffft on September 23, 2006)

Gistok

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, that would be on the northwestern corner of 10 Mile & Greenfield. Being an Eastsider, I'm not 100% sure, but I would tend to say that the only relationship to a HoJo was the architectural style. But maybe some Westsiders remember a HoJo there?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the HoJos at l3 Mile and Woodward in Royal Oak- it was most definitely on the east side of the street- I ate there a few times in the early l960s.

Pffft

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt the 13 Mile & Woodward was on the east side of the street, what was in doubt for a half minute was if it was north or south of Coolidge as it cuts through there.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ho Jos was south of Coolidge- and I believe the Highland Park HoJos was across from the infamous Algiers Motel-I recall driving by that, pre-riot.

Pffft

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we figured that out a while ago...it's where the Walgreen's currently is.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: