Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Anyone Remember 7 Mile and Gratiot? « Previous Next »
Anyone Remember 7 Mile and Gratiot? - 2Jazzstage23 08-03-07  11:38 am
Anyone Remember 7 Mile and Gratiot? - 1Eastsideboy102 06-16-07  10:58 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 70.8.192.86
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. Thanks for starting it. I'm from the west side, but all of the memories discussed here remind me of family visits to Grand River/Greenfield.

later - naturalsister

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 845
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

all of the memories discussed here remind me of family visits to Grand River/Greenfield.

Then you would have felt right at home at the corner of 7 and Gratiot. Every time I've been over to Grand River and Greenfield I am struck with how similart the two corners looked before all of the "renovations" at 7 and Gratiot.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 66.184.3.44
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dday, I too knoticed the strong resemblence. Everything from Federal's, Ward's, Cunningham's, and the dime stores.

I assume that was common at the time to build the shopping strips in that fashion.

Montgomery Wards built several stores in that mode. Had another one on Michigan Ave as well. Gorgious structures. Sure beats the bland box stores of today.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2712
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/79260.html

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1252
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those two Detroit "malls" plus the one in Dearborn were early attempts to draw business away from Detroit's downtown. Nearby houses were razed for parking lots, etc. A few years later, the Kresges gave way to K-Marts, and others entered the scene and the older brand-name stores were eventually put into the minor leagues or dissolved.

But even the former five and dimes are returning today in the form of dollar stores, such as Family Dollar, CVS, and Rite-Aid. But all the three areas in this post bear little semblence to what they were fifty years ago. The older parts of most cities other than Detroit or Milwaukee haven't changed as much in that time, however.

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even in the mid-80's is was still quite the shopping district. I think I've mentioned this before, but my family owns the flooring business on Gratiot just south of 7-mile(right next to the old Valente's). Our shop is not much to look at anymore(we only do telephone business now) but it was quite the store in it's day. We've been in that location since 1961, moved from Gratiot and harper originally(1946). I can remember in the mid 80's my father taking me to see Santa at Ward's. I bought my Selmer series II saxophone at Detroit-Wayne from Emil. Lots of great memories.

Vato7959
Username: Vato7959

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 204.174.64.34
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Federal's in 1972 as a stock boy and remembering watching the Immaculate Reception football game on the new color TVs.

I enjoyed the area especially with Tony's Pizza across the street and Lafayette Coney island...

Dtown1
Username: Dtown1

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.249.238.44
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if I can, Ill see if I can upload the current photo onto the website, nothing like it used to be though, at all. Eastern side of the shopping center doesn't even exist anymore and their are two abandoned and crumbbling stores left on the western side of gratiot. However, The Eddies bike shop is open and well, however, I believe the
Subway was set on Fire so its closed for good.

(Message edited by Dtown1 on August 24, 2006)

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 611
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...it's amazing the difference in memories. My dad grew up on Lappin and my grandma lived there until the mid 90's. I went to school in the area too. But unfortunately my most prominent memories are from my friends who when they said they were going to "Maddelein's" it meant they were going to that street to by weed:-(

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the '70s, I used to ride the bus there with my grandfather all the time. (He never owned a car.) In 1987, my best friend's sister was killed at 7 and Gratiot outside Church's Fried Chicken.

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 75.9.240.249
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509 glenfield if you are looking for leonard corsetti you almost found him. I am his nephew. He aswell as Donald both live up north past port huron near lakeport. Leonard is still a WSU police officer and if you want can find him there every day. Don got hurt about 15yrs ago (fell of a cement pumper and broke his back)George is still living in Detroit near GP hes a lawyer and my father Rocco still lives in detroit and is a Sgt with the DPD 32yrs and still going and still lives across the alley from the house he grew up in 52yrs same 2 streets. My grandmother maria is still alive aswell living at 16mile and gratiot my grandfather louie pasted away in 99. If you leave an email address I can email you some email addresses. I don't know my uncle leonards but can send you to all the others.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcanman55, Are you by chance Rocco Jr.? Not sure is you remember me, but I lived two doors down from your grandparents on Novara. Your father should remember me, my name is Erik.

I used to run into him back in 98 and 99 at the 7 Eleven on East Warren when he was on his lunch break.

I remember your house was the big yellow one across the alley from me. My house was yellow as well.

Popcanman55

Posted From: 75.9.240.249
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I am his younger son Joe. Lunch break my a$$ if you ask him he and his partner stanley did their reports there. If you ask anybody else that was their hang out where they did some reports sometimes. They like to claim they gave the then chief Ike the idea for community mini stations that they later had at walgreens. They said he got the idea from always seeing their writeups from their bosses LOL. When he was at work you always knew where to call to find good old 7 eleven. Now he is one of the bosses he's a Sgt at old #11 on midnights.We still live in the big yellow slowly changing to white house. One day he will retire and move upnorth.

Tokennojokin
Username: Tokennojokin

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.178.220.86
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to Monkey Wards there was Stereo City that sold stereo's and records and 8-tracks. Across the street was an appliance store called Good housekeeping. We bought a stereo there when I was a kid. I still have it.

Dtown1

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 68.248.42.231
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question, when did the Sanders Ice Cream and Bakery Close (year)?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sanders closed I believe in 87 or 88. I can't remember what year exactly but it one of the two.

Popcanman, thats funny because your dad used to tell me that 7 Eleven was their mini station!
Tell him I said hi. By the way, how is the old neighborhood?

Popcanman55

Posted From: 69.209.166.165
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitej72 My father is lost now without his 7 eleven since they closed. The neighborhood isn't getting any better not getting much worse either but there have been a few houses on novara between monarch and gratiot burn in the last month.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any info on a propossed Hmong Village that was supposed to open on Gratiot near & Mile?

I heard something about it maybe 2 or 3 years ago and nothing since. Any ideas anyone?

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcanman55. Got all the info. on Leonard. Have spoken to him twice at "work". Really didn't know the rest of the family. Just...went on a rampage. Eureka. Pop a top on the can of your choice.........man. Thanx

Jblah13
Username: Jblah13

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcanman55.... hey! this is jacki. i was doing some research online about corsetti's and i found this forum. hope all is well

Dtown1

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey popcanman, was that 7 eleveen where that party store is at now on Glenwood and Gratiot?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, 7 Eleven was at the corner of University and East Warren, now hom to a church.

Dtown1

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 7 Eleveen is still on Warren. I saw it recently coming to and from school over there.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1, you are mistaken. 7 Eleven on the eastside at Warren and University sadly closed a few years ago. It was even featured on WWJ's newscast. Mayor Kilpatrick lamented how 'you can't buy a slurpee in Detroit, but you can buy a gun'.

Sad how the times have changed. When I was a wee lad, we had 7 Eleven at 7 Mile and Chalmers, 7 Mile and Schoneer, 7 Mile and Hoover, Morang and Balfour, and Warren and University.

Also 7 Eleven's of note were Warren and Alter, and 6 Mile and Lasher.

Detroitej72

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one at 7 & Schoenherr was my drop for papers to be delivered on my Freep route when I was a kid.

It's still there and you can still see it was a 7-11. Called Narra's market (which was where the gas station across the street is when the 7-11 opened)

(Message edited by D-Day on September 30, 2006)

Dtown1

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can picture all these places being a 7-Eleveen. As a matter of fact, I live right in the neighbor hood of 7 Mile and Schoenherr. However, I asked about Glenwood and Gratiot because I can picture that store bieng a 7-Eleveen also. Also, they must of just closed the one on Morang because you can still see the sort of signature on the building. My aunt would always go to Narra's Market on 7 Mile and Schoenherr. It used to be like a General Store until Saveway Supermarket or VEGAS FOOD CENTER, ran all their business away. However, Saveway of VEGAS has really gone downhill ever since Kroger's built their building and Glory's opened up because now the supermarket has competition and although the people at Saveway are friendly, their store offers very little in terms of variety and is old and hasn't changed the overall style in decades.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if Gleenwood/ Gratiot was ever a 7 Eleven. Never remembered seeing on there when I went to the library at 6/ Gratiot.

There was also one at the 6 Mile and Hoover/ Gunston curve.

Dtown1, remember when Vegas Supermarket used to be Vegas Produce in the late 70's early 80's? I also used to love Custard Corner across the street.

Detroitej72

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 70s/early 80s the 7 Eleven at 6 Mile and Gunston was the highest grossing store in the area. It was so busy that the Southland Corporation built another store exactly two blocks away to take care of the excess customers.

Dtown1

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that explains the building where the day care center is now. The one on the corner of Gunston and 6 Mile must of been a 7 Eleveen and where the Children of the Futre DAy Care center at must of been where the annex was. My cousins used to go to that day care center when they were younger.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - my mom used to hang at the Sanders and go to the Ramona Theatre when she was a kid. Can someone tell me specificly where Ramona was and where the former Sanders building is ? ?

Maybe point it out on that 1961 map.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramona was right at 6 Mile and Gratiot where a parking lot now sits. There was Sanders at Gratiot and Lappin. Not sure if that was the one your mom went to.

On 6 Mile there was Alanosis Ice cream and 31 Flavors.
______________________________ ___________________
quote:In the late 70s/early 80s the 7 Eleven at 6 Mile and Gunston was the highest grossing store in the area. It was so busy that the Southland Corporation built another store exactly two blocks away to take care of the excess customers.

Is that what the deal was. I remember one open and just assumed that 7 Eleven moved two streets down. It never occurred to me they would have two open 7 Elevens a few blocks from each other.

How long did they both operate? In the mid to late 80's, I only remember the one being open.

Detroitej72

(Message edited by detroitej72 on September 30, 2006)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second store was only open for about two years, 76-77.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, the stories I could tell about 'G-7'. I attended Gabriel Richard Middle School 20 years ago. And the hood there isn't what it used 2 B. The only thing I dug about th@ neighbor hood was that it culturally diversere! U had blacks, whites, even asians staying there-then and now.
If I'm not mistaken, the asians still domin8 th@ area and Latinos have moved N w/n the last decade or so. But who could 4get goin' 2 Montgomery Wards back N the day? Fretter Aplliances-the only 1 N the city-I might B wrong on that 1-My family made a killin' @ Fretter. Baker's, Winkelmans,
J.C. Woolworth's, Valente Tuxedo (the sign is STILL standing there!), the old Marathon Gas St8ion that was shaped like a miniature cottage?
Sanders-The last 1 N Detroit @ that time? Sherwin-Williams? The funrniture store is still there-I 4got the name. All this I can recall w/n the course of a quarter-century!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, October 01, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it's the Hmongs that domin8 the area. Next year Detroit will B host to the 12th annual Hmong National Conference, 2B held at the RenCen.

-White guy tryin' 2B Kool.

Waxx

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Montgomery Wards built several stores in that mode. Had another one on Michigan Ave as well. Gorgious structures. Sure beats the bland box
stores of today.'

Detroitej72, U ain't never lied about that. I attended Henry Ford community college in the late 90s and I would go there often because the Wards on Michigan brought back so much memories reminding me of the one(s) on Gratiot (east) and Grand River (west). Hard 2 believe that those two streets are ONE BLOCK APART from each other on Woodward! In '01 when Wards anounced that it's doors were closing for good I went as often as I could until it's last day. I used to have my car serviced @ the Michigan and Schaefer store when I was in my early 20s. Thanks for recalling the memories of Wards. And who could forget the Mezzanine(s) that nearly resmbled a transit station?-the one on Gratiot did at least.
These 'box stores' today? Just like these 'frame houses' you could probably sneeze on 'em and they'll tumble (LOL). They don't make 'em like they used to! You're right about something else as well. It was a common thing 2 build shopping strips in that fashion.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx, Waxx for confirming what I remembered in my head.(I'm glad it was an outside voice!)

I agree, the box stores of today suck both from an artitechtual standpoint as well as an aestetic point of view.

Anyone else have memories or thought's of 7 Mile & Gratiot? Please share them, as I don't want this thread to die a premature death...Let's make sure it goes to the Hall of Fame!!!

One thing I'll always remember was the alley between the front and back of the stores.

Montgomary Ward's had the garden and auto department in back. There was a long coridoor one had to walk along to get to the 'main' store. As a wee little lad, I would often stop at the pet department and ask me mum if I could have 65 cents to buy a new fish for my aquarium. More often than not, it was met with a resounding NOOO!!!

In my last days living here when I was 17, I enjoyed "parking" with my dates in this alley because we could drink here without being hasseld by the cop's! It was here where I kissed my "first love" on the lips!!!

Detroitej72...longing for the times of "back in the day"

Dtown1

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, I missed out on all the good stuff. Although, I can tell my experience on how quickly it transitioned.

1. There were no anchor stores to lure poeple pver there, so no reason for folks to explore the shopping center.

2.The shopping center was ghettoized over time, with independent stores holding it togethr, not the chains people usually come to look for.

On a side note, that's probably whats happening to Eastland right now, I'll get back to it though.

3. The shopping center for my Experience always did seem run-down and people dont want to shop in an environment like that.

4. No sense of security. To this day, shopping at the strips at 7 and Gratiot isn't guaranteed to be a safe trip as there are and were frequent robberies over in that area overtime, and slow police response time,

That explained the wasted mini station that was on the NE side of the center.

5. Limited parking. The shopping center only had two free parking lots, and one only belonged to Montgomery Wards, so people would have to walk long distances to get to their destination, and you weren't allowed to park in the fast food joints, although my mother did it all the time to go to Shopper's World or Maxx's Beauty Supply.

6. Most of all, the dredded SHOPPING MALLS!, which led me bakc to my Eastland remark. people were so bent on trying to get out to lavish and safe and beautifal Eastland Center that they forgot about what they had in there neighborhoods.

So, since the businesses at 7 and Gratiot werent getting enough business, they over time fizzled, the Sanders, Montgomery Wards, and so forth left, and since those chain stores left, the independent stores couldn't hang on, so they closed and went out of business.

So, do to the high vacancies, the owners of the shopping centers had developers turn it into Strip Malls, the new styles of store front, but ghettoied style, new.

So, now these two strip malls are doing fine with the typical shopping style for your current generation, Fottlocker, JBEEs, Simply Fashions, Althlete's Foot, and so forth. However, the older generation probably doesnt have a taste for these stores, so they have no need to make a return trip to 7 and gratiot. Now Kroger did make an attempt to lure suburbanites into the city by opening a VERY CONVIENT LOCATION ON A BUSY AVENUE, but due to the crime, and probably overall pettiness, Krogers left within 3 years of opening that store.

Now, all the 7 and Gratiot shoppers, the last of them, are flocking out to Eastland, and as we know with their style of shopping and ghettoized fashion of shopping, they have caused the Mall to land in a big pot hole, in terms of a thriving atmosphere and varitey of shops. Now all the stores are leaving, while the independent, but stores that our current genereation enjoy are the only ones pretty much holding the Mall together. So in time, Eastland could very well be on the waiting list for demolition, just as 7 and Gratiot was.

Oh yes almost forgot, AJ, the man who used to leased the AJ Plus Beauty Supply, did buy two stores to prevent his store from being demolished, now his store is still open and the store next to it I guess is another private room for his store.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,
You can't blame Montgomery Ward, Federals, Kresges, Woolworths and Fretter for abandoning the area, as these stores hung in there until the bitter end, when the chains closed or went bankrupt.

I see pretty much the same style strip malls and stores in the suburbs, so why must you label the Detroit stores "Ghettoized"?

Dtown1

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Golick:

1. Nothing personal to you, but what I meant was that stores like Montgomerey Wards is pretty Much whats keeps a mall alive, as most people, at least I know, would go to a shopping mall for the anchor stores, which by entering the anchor store spotting a smaller store they want to go to. Otherwise, if they're wasnt no correct anchor that I wanted to visit at the mall, then I have no reason to go there. So that's probably how those shops hurt, because they likely wasnt getting any busines due to the inner ring suburban malls.

2. Your right about the strip mall, but you cant compare it to the old style of shopping, even in the suburbs, ther's no possible way, unless it was one Such as Bel-Air, Belmont, or Eastgate, however, as I said, I don't see nothing major going on with these places but the independent stores, not the chain stores people want.

Also, forgot, the reason there are so many box stores around today is obviously because they are cheaper to make instead of spending all their time and money creating art deco that's expensive to keep up with.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this wild sound bite of Toby David (CKLW's Captain Jolly) and his life size replica of a Sperm Whale, on display at Gratiot and 7 Mile.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ jollywhale.mp3
I don't have a date on this, but I imagine it was the early 60s.

Dtown1

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah ED, nice tape, but what about the department stores that doing above excellence in terms of sales, how come they havent made a move back into the city?

It can't be the crime because their has been more robberies in the suburban stores that anything.

Cant say lack of shoppers because their are a lot of shoppers that come from the city to shop at these stores.

How can race be an issue? Dont they know wherever the necessity is, the race will travel to that location, with petiness the stores moving further out for nothing, because I know the Northland and Eastland Montgomery Wards and JC Penny locations were grossing well.

It cant be the government. Truly, why would the store allow the government or people dictate something about the city. If the stores dont feel something is right, it doesnt mean they have to punish the innocent ones.

REally, only thing I can come up with is Taxes, unfortunately, the stores believe the city of Detroit taxes are too high for them, but is that the real reason, the poorer stores are paying the property taxes just fine, without any talks of budging into the suburbs.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the whale scared them away???

Dtown1

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Right Ed. As I said, its just present day petiness, there's no start or end to all these issues unfortunately.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plain and simple. You build where the people are. You build where the money is. Do you take a chance and invest in a city where the majority of the population live below the poverty level? Or do you build where the population is growing, where the jobs are. It's not pettyness; it's called business sense.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3623
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone attend Denby, Burbank or McGregor???

Dtown1

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesnt matter, in the end, its every single person that involve that will lose, do to the fact that if these places keep moving, people arent going to want to travel miles to shop there, unless their just dead crazy. So if the money moved under water, everyone would want to move under water, although they couldnt survive under there. If they open a reasonable location in the city, it will help everyone. Tyhat what happened to Montgomery Wards, they call themselves moving to where the money was and eventually the shoppers lost their track of their new locations and people stop shopping there. FOr example, I didnt even know Montgomery Wards moved to 16 Mile and Gratiot after they left Eastland and Northland. I wouldn't travel that far for the same thing I can buy at Hudsons at Northland or Eastland for the same price and is closer and more convient to my house. The businesses are so worried about the money more than the people supplying them the money. One thing the stores don't have today is sales tatics, that's why there disappearing so fast.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dtown1,
The Montgomery Ward store was at 16 and Gratiot years before the Eastland store was built. I have to admit that I like the idea of an underwater city, but only if there are no whales. Pinocchio scared the crap out of me when I was but a wee lad.

Waxx

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction y'all. 16 & Gratiot-Clinton Twp. my former neck of the woods. But does any one remember the Wards @ either across form Lakeside,
Wonderland, or Universal Mall(gasp)?

Dtown1

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know bout the one a Wonderland

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember the Lakeside one

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wards was at 15 mile and Gratiot in the Regional Mall

Detroitej72

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote;
Anyone attend Denby, Burbank or McGregor???

------------------------------ -------------------

I went to Burbank for kindergarden, McGregor for 1st-5th grade and back to Burbank for middle school. Did you Patrick?

Detroitej72

Waxx

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Wards was at 15 mile and Gratiot in the Regional Mall'

I stand corrected, Dodgemain, thank you very much. In all honesty, I meant to say 15 and Gratiot. I got too excited. BTW, does anyone remember Scottie Pippen doing the Electric Avenue commercials? Or has anyone been to the Wards on Telegraph and Alexis (in Toledo, Ohio-@ the state line-I forgot the name of the mall it was in.

Solotraveler
Username: Solotraveler

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Vato7959, I used to work at Federals at about that time. I worked in the back (across the street)in sporting goods dept. I liked it back there because the managers seldom came around. I used to eat at Kresge's lunch counter. (cheap)Bought my shoes at Cancellation's (Flamingo Boots) lol. Take care, Joe

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East of Gratiot on 7 Mile there was Jaglowicz shoe store on the south side and a Catholic supply store across from it. Farther east, there was Locke Lumber. They always had great lumber. I think it was run by two brothers. I was really sorry to see them close. You could get stuff there that Home Depot and Lowe's don't have.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locke Lumber had about everything you needed in a relatively small lumber yard. I remember as a kid that it was a special treat to go to Locke Lumber to pick up lumber and supplies. Just down the street was Fantasy Bowling and Pizzeria (good Pizza)

Debw858
Username: Debw858

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend and I would walk to 7 Mile and Gratiot about 3 times a week. We would either go to Kresges for fries and a coke or else to Woolworth's for a hot fudge sundae, where you could pick a balloon and get it for real cheap if you were lucky. LOL. In High School I worked at Federal Dept. Store in Domestications (towels, sheets, tablecloths, etc.) Department and I would walk to work and cut through the alley behind Kresges - No fear! I also worked at Frank's Nursery at 7 Mile and Kelly for a while.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Mi/Gratiot late 60s early 70s
Kresges: coffee 10 cents with refills
Federal's: great selection of sneakers in the basement discount store.
Sanders: Cream Puff Hot Fudge (during "happy hour"--from 2 p to 4 p)
Montgomery Wards: garden section in the west parking lot
Stereo City: great selection of LPs and 8 tracks (more expensive than Korvette's but more interesting to visit)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 531
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

remember the Boxes or should I say the Crates that displayed records at stereo city or am I remembering Peaches...yikes the age thing..Funny all our moms must have shopped at Federal's basement for shoes...and for I while I never knew that Monkey Wards didn't sell anything but plaid shirts...and rototillers.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peaches had the crates... I have some right here.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember firefighters, like my dad, got a discount at Federal's, so we did a lot a shopping there. I got my ears pierced at Montgomery Wards.

jan

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an import store which featured German items. The owner was an older lady and just as nice as she could be, we still have a cuckoo clock we purchased there.

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Each summer the stores would sponsor Fun in the Sun.Between Wards and 7mile all kinds of activity on Gratiot. I think their was a third dime store on Gratiot Nisners not to sure on the spelling.
We would go on the roof of Wards that was the highest point around and watch the cars on Gratiot.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man,

I remember 7 and Gratiot well. I recall when they built the McDonalds. I assume it was around 75 or so and it felt like an event. It was clear to me even at that age that it was a different neighborhood than the one I grew up in. (McCormick between Rossiter and Landsdown) My aunt lived off Gratiot so we would walk around the neighborhood.

Most of my time was spent further east. I knew a Corsetti that went to St. Jude's with me. There was a time that I could recite every street from 7 mile to 8 Mile.

It seems like former (and current) north-eastsiders post in larger numbers than other neighborhoods in the D. Is this a fair observation? If so, does anyone know why that might be?

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that Stereo City used to have an outdoor speaker by their front door so you could hear the tunes as you walked by? It wasn't crazy-loud or anything, so it was cool. I have an audio memory of hearing "Roundabout" by Yes and I went in and bought the Fragile album, so I guess the marketing strategy worked.
North of Stereo City was the Village Green store, a hippie "head-shop" with the usual selection of bongs, black-light posters, and incense; but also India-made clothing, hand-tooled leather belts, and jewelry (both silver and beaded macrame!) There must be a hippie or two out there that stopped in here for some Patchouli oil!
(From way back in this thread -- the location of the Cunningham's store was on the Southwest Corner of 7 and Gratiot. I'm sure of it.)

Eastside_man
Username: Eastside_man

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their use to be a Cunninghams on the corner of 6 mile and Gratiot across from the Romona. The one at 7 mile was tore down for the Micky d's

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old days good times i remember, fun days filled with simple pleasure Drive-in movies
Comic books and blue jeans Howdy doody
Baseball cards and birthdays Take me back
To a world gone away Memories Seem like yesterday

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody mentioned the old ROBERT HALL store on
7 mile just west of Gratiot..... we went there for our annual Easter outfit....memories

Palmquist
Username: Palmquist

Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 & and Gratiot was one of the nice neighborhoods of Detroit when I grew up there in the 60s, when I moved back there in 1982 it was also still a good place to raise children except that the schools were declining quickly as it happened all across the city. I had my business next to Sanders until some kind soul bought me out. My building was the Village Green for many years and is where I bought my first pair of bell bottom jeans too! I had to leave that area because of the schools and what a change there was between 82 and 92....Drove through a couple weeks ago and while my old house looks pretty good still, the rest of the area is closer to a war zone. The only old timers still living there are Mr and Mrs O'grady.....

Palmquist
Username: Palmquist

Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And.....Cunninghams was in the same location as the McDonalds. Southwest corner of 7 and Gratiot!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Palmquist I moved there in 81 and moved out in 88 Lived on Rossini between Anvil and Regent. Last time I drove by the old place I swore I would never go back