Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Grande Ballroom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was doing a little reading about detroit music yesterday and came across tons of references to the grand ballroom... Does anyone know the history, or location or if it being renovated?

Google netted no good hits, thats why i'm posting here. :-)

Thanks,
.rob.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/41305/41305.html?1138050 447

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1293
Posted From: 12.64.54.181
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grande. You dropped the E, hence no google hits.

The google-fu is weak in this one.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1382
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try googling 'Grande Ballroom'

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Hornwrecker said.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 69.246.55.51
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thegrandeballroom.c om/

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along the same theme:

http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/ wabx.htm

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grand Ballroom is in Gross Point. And me = smartass.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 67.125.189.14
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, all you former hippies and Grande veterans, let's give our young friend some first hand accounts of the beloved Grande Ballroom. I'll go first.

The Grande was THE place to go to experience music during the late sixties. Virtually all the big groups and artists of the time played there.

I personally saw Cream, Soft Machine, Faces, Jeff Beck, Ten Years After, Chuck Berry, Blue Cheer, The Flock, Traffic, Brian Auger and Trinity, all the local Detroit groups: MC5, the Frost, SRC, Savage Grace, The Up, Frijid Pink, The Rationals, and many more that I cannot remember at this time. It usually only cost $5.00 to $7.00 to get in.

Inside, it was pretty wide open and a sensory delight with the smell of incense and pot, psychedelic light shows, beautiful nubile hippie chicks, and blaring music.

The MC5 was considered the "house" band. The most memorable show I saw was when the MC5 opened for Cream. They obviously wanted to steal the show and they certainly did. At the end of their amazing set, during the normal wild finale, as John Sinclair was blowing the saxophone and some guy was standing there naked, they ripped up an American flag. Then they brought out a big bed sheet with the word "freak" written on it.

They yelled, "This is our new flag!"

Somewhere during the show, the drummer, Dennis Thompson, passed out. They carried him off the stage. A few minutes later they brought him back out, yelling, "He's all right! He’s going to play!"

It was a wild scene.

Cream was pretty good too, but they had a hard time matching the intensity of the MC5.

I loved the Grande!

As an Eastsider, it was always an exciting trip to drive over to the Westside to go to the Grande.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 148.221.17.189
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great story jokerman...I could almost smell it.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 69.14.9.224
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vandykenjefferson,

Prononunced "grandee".
The Ballroom still stands at Grand River near Joy at the intersection of Beverly.
Check our site for all the details you will need.
http://www.thegrandeballroom.c om/

Ownership of the Ballroom recently transferred from one church to another. Previously it was largely open to the elements, scrappers and souvenir hunters. The new owners have started to do a good job of at least mothballing the place.
Their purpose for the property is unknown.

Also,Lowell has given us space to run the Grande Ballroom forum here on Detroit yes!
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/41305/41305.html?1138050 447

Leo B

Webmaster
www.thegrandeballroom.com

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved going to the Grande! Learned many, many things Mama never told me. Unfortunately, I was too naive (or too stoned) to really appreciate the caliber of the musicians I saw perform there. But even aside from the music, it was a beautiful ballroom: a big expanse of hardwood floor surrounded by spiralled columns that supported arches leading to the carpeted perimeter where you could buy refreshments, hang out the front windows, just be a freak. And if you didn't have the 5 bucks to get in, you could often barter with the box office person. If they liked what you had to trade, you were in. Great times in Detroit

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1108
Posted From: 68.60.45.70
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't Uncle Russ Gibb the owner, manager or promoter? Just a little fuzzy on the details after all these years.

Leob

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WKNR D.J. Russ Gibb was essentially the promoter.

russ

The property was leased from an attorney and land speculator named Gabe Glantz.

Leo B

(Message edited by leob on July 07, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 858
Posted From: 4.229.24.98
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stage

floor

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Posted From: 69.14.92.85
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, I remember those glasses, he wore them all the time.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On The Hellacopters (band from Sweden who worship at the alter of Detroit music!) DVD, after playing a gig @ The Magic Stick, a patron asks if they want him to take them to the Grande. He says, "It's in one of the worst neighborhoods in Detroit, the West Side," and the guitarist says, "If it's the worst, I don't wanna go there!" I went myself in January, took a few pics (my fiance freaked out!), wished I'd been born about 20 years earlier than I did. Man, would I have loved to have been there......
BTW, The Hellacopters have a song called "Crimson Ballroom," with lots of references (mostly inferred) to the Grande & MC5 & Sonic's Rondezvous ("Goin' straight on Shakin' Street....", "The sounds are supersonic, an electrophonic tonic.")

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a few boots floating around out there from the Grande. Cream, Janis Joplin, Beck's Truth...and the quality is pretty amazing considering the available technology at the time. I wish there was more though.

Great story Jokerman.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 64.228.108.31
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some neato recordings for sure... the full October '67 Cream recordings are heavy! I've got a couple of MC 5 ones as well as an SRC & a Rationals tape, but most of those are rough audience tapes... there's a Who web page with photos of them playing the Grande in '67-'68... the '67 Cream sounds like an inside job as far as the recording quality sounds... I've wondered for a while now what other recordings have yet to pop up from this venue. There's a Jethro Tull recording or two from '68-'69 I think as well. I thought I saw some film footage of the Stooges playing there in Don Letts' "Punk: Attitude" documentary...

Jokerman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that I forget to mention Iggy and the Psychedelic Stooges!

Every time I saw them play Iggy was wearing the same torn blue jeans. The last time I saw them, all that was left of the jeans was essentially the waistband with a few shreds of torn denim attached. Iggy still wore them with a red jockstrap on underneath.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a few bands that didn't impress me at all: Savoy Brown, and I heard them several times, Frost, Blue Cheer.
Funny how some bands attained 'legendary' status and others did not; some of the finest music at the Grande came from bands who snag little attention from younger folks: Procol Harum, Spirit, John Mayall, Silver Apples, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Country Joe and the Fish, Canned Heat...probably a case of each generation selecting 'music it can use' and ignoring the rest, lol.

Jimg

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vibe at the Grande, before it became too 'popular', was really special. You bought a ticket, or 'bartered' your way in (those who were there know what I'm talkin' about), carpet around the dance floor perimeter, smell of incense and other stuff floating in the air...light show booth just inside the dance floor, about 10 feet up on a platform, 1930s loveseats strategically located, tables and chairs (foldup) in corners of the dancefloor, walkin' around, seeing folks you hung with or knew or were familiar faces...sometimes Det cops (in pairs) would walk around, lookin'...and the (obligatory) narcs of course; cue Dylan: "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"... Near the end it got kinda weird, packed with people who didn't give a shit about the music or ending the War or justice or anything else, lookin' to start trouble...Sinclair and Co. of course selling incense and other 'head shop' items from behind a glass counter at one end...info about the White Panther Party...various mind-expanding rituals taking place.
I remember John trying to play tenor sax.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 24.199.98.217
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, enjoyed your recollections. Do you have any memories of Frijid Pink or the Red, White and Blues Band? Saw a very late incarnation of the former in high school, and had an acquaintance in the later. Thanks.

Jimg

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only vague memories of those bands, I recall Jagged Edge, Amboy Dukes (both regulars at the Mummp), Pink Peech Mob, Scott Richard Case, Rationals, MC5 of course, Up, Unrelated Segments quite clearly, sort of remember 3rd Power.

The whole 'scene' was dynamic. Not Plum Street, but the other places like Johnny's, a greasy spoon located...ummm...just behind the 13th precinct. Cops always had one or two undercover guys in there...the antiwar marches on Woodward, Belle Isle Love In, concerts at Tartar Field. Everyone wound up to fever-pitch by Vietnam...if you had long hair and walked into a place you found out immediately where folks stood on Vietnam, pot and probably twentysix other social issues...polarization, baby...the looks of hate really made an impact. I realized, finally, that this was the shit black folks put up with every day, looks of hate for being black. Taught me more than all of the books I'd read, ohyeah. What did Amerikka really stand for? Whose country was this? Did it resemble the place in our history books? Why did we have to kill harmless folks in Southeast Asia? Why were black people being beaten and lynched? Why did our Government sanction this lunacy?

Rhetorical questions, of course...the musicians provided the soundtrack for all of that stuff..."In A Gadda Da Vida" and "Time Has Come Today"

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for the icing on the cake, check this out: http://russgibbatrandom.com/
and see what he's become (maybe always was)

Leob

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim G.

Thanks for the reflections. Great stories.
Hope you can make it to the anniversary concert in October.

PhilM: I don't think Russ has "become" anything politically speaking. Although his writings appear sometimes right wing, I think he would describe himself as an independent. Russ has never been afraid to speak out against injustices and bad government despite any prevailing winds or party.

Leo B

Jokerman

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg,
Thanks for the great essay. You are right. I once had a .45 pulled on me inside the hamburger place on 8 MIle and Van Dyke just because my friends and I had long hair.

I still remember the old geezer's comments as he pulled the gun out of his shirt, "F***in' Jesus Christ, ya look like f***in' Jesus Christ!"

Our country seems to be heading towards this same division right now with "W" in the White House.

Jokerman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Canned Heat several times at the Grande. In fact we passed a joint back and forth with Bob "The Bear" Hite, the lead singer during their set at one of these shows. I also shared a doobie with Alan "the Blind Owl" Wilson at the back of the Grande before Canned Heat's set. They loved playing Detroit, especially the Grande.

Don't forget to Boogie!

Those were the days!

Jokerman

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump to the top.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 75.9.241.61
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't quite old enough to be able to get to the Grande. I've always wondered if the following bit of Detroit rock lore is true: Bob Seger never played the place.

Leob

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic,

There are no Grande artifacts (posters etc.)that document that Bob and or the System played the Grande. There are stories of him sitting in with the MC5 there however.
The reason they did not play the Grande may have been that Bob was managed by Punch Andrews who had a piece of the action at "The Hideout" in Harper Woods and Southfield.

Leo B

Jokerman

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I never saw Seger at the Grande. I did see him play other places including the Crow's Nest. I think I even saw him play at my High School, Notre Dame. We had the best high school dances and concerts in town.

The Motown artists used to come and lip-sync to their records. Remember Father Bryson? This should probably the topic of another thread.

I saw Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes play at the Crow's Nest when Ted was only seventeen years old.

By the way, is Bob Segar EVER going to record another album.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 69.199.52.237
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately I'm too young to have attended any shows at the Grande, mostly due to not being born at the time. But there's no doubt about what a legendary venue it was, and I truly wish I could have been part of the scene back in those heady days.

I just thought I'd take a second to give props to the band Spirit. I noticed that JimG mentioned them as one group that don't get much attention from the younger folks. Well, that may be so, but for me personally, "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is one of my favourite albums of all time. It's one of the few records I can listen to over and over again and never get bored of - like "Songs in the Key of Life" and "Superfly". Just my two cents....

Jokerman

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wfw, Good insight on Spirit. I also like their album "Fresh Garbage".

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman....
.....I understand Seger is going to do another CD, and is considering a tour.

I never went to the Grande (the Cinderella a couple of times, though...) but I think the real heartbeat of rock in that era was being carried by places like the Royal Oak Farmers Market, Something Different, The Chalet the Birmingham Palladium and other "teen clubs" and venues around Detroit. Saw Seger, Third Power, Brownsville Station, Frost, Savage Grace, SRC, Teaguarden and VanWinkle and others in clubs like these.....

Gargoyle

Posted From: 155.139.3.14
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm, you are right on the money there. Although many of the acts at the Grande were "local", my friends and I looked upon the venue as a place to get a closer look at some really big name people. As someone who saw the Who at Cobo Arena and (worse yet) the Beatles at Olympia Stadium, the Grande provided a smaller, more intimate setting and WAY better acoustics. It was also a social club for those of us just getting a grip on our political feelings. That kind of interaction didn't exist at concert venues like Cobo. I'm glad it was there for me. Drove by there last Saturday just to look at the old girl. Makes me feel REALLY old....

Jimg

Post Number: 646
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad others remember Spirit, a fine band, good musicians, interesting material (lots of jazz in that rhythm section) and Randy California, too...almost forgot Lee Michaels, keys/drums, yes? and Lymon Woodard, trio on Sunday afternoons. Generous dose of the BLUES, too, aside from Canned Heat ("Goin' Up The Country") the Grande offered Paul Butterfield from Chitown - a really original sound, blues/rock fusion like many bands attempted but Butter had the goods, man...including an all-Det rhythm section of Teddy Harris (also arranger), George Davidson and Roderick Hicks. Loose and smooth, baby, with lots of feelin' and plenty plenty rhythm...Albert King and his Blues Power band...Fleetwood Mac played good blues before they shifted gears. Muddy Waters, I stood there in awe deeply touched by that Saint...Charley Musselwhite, great harp stripped down Chicago blues, John Mayall with his "Laurel Canyon" band, very different and fine feel to his music. Remember Electric Flag with Mike Bloomfield? Jesus, that man could play...not sure if I saw him here or at the Aragon in Chi. Another mention of Country Joe and the Fish, still remember "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die" rag, sung to Muskrat Ramble (and it's one, two, three what are we fightin' for? Don't tell me I don't give a damn, let's stop this Vietnam). Section 43, another classic, and Rock Coast Blues. Or "LBJ" (it's a bird, it's a plane, it's a man insane, it's my president, LBJ).
Won't forget an acquaintance was busted in the John by two narcs for 'smoking'...
Sorry, I don't often think about those times and the stuff just pours out...

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 945
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg

You make me feel old when I am not with the mention of most of these groups. I know 98% of them and my parents are of that time period and were and still are pretty much squares.

Interesting story from highschool. A fellow classemate had his father with him at an event of some kind, his dad looked really familiar. Total rock star outfit, leather head to toe big wild fro. A few day later found out he was MC5 leader Rob Tyner. Found his picture on one of my MC5 reissues.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1671
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus"

Listening to that right at this moment.

Animal Zoo is playing.

Funny.

Jokerman

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Someone mentioned Lee Michaels. I almost forgot about Lee Michaels and Frosty. They played VERY LOUD!

Someone else mentioned Teagarden and VanWinkle. Quite a few years ago, I met a woman here in San Diego that said she was the sister of either Teagarden or VanWinkle (I can't remember which one). I don't think that she was lying, because no one else here in CA had ever heard of them. She mentioned this when I told her that I was from Detroit.

Jokerman

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox:

Your story makes sense because Rob Tyner did have young children during the heydey of the MC5.

http://www.google.com/search?h l=en&q=Rob+Tyner&btnG=Google+S earch

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2778
Posted From: 66.167.211.36
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great contributions all! Thanks. Unfortunately I missed out on the Grande days even though I was here. This was the first and only time I saw the Grande ballroom. But the ghosts were all there.

I have changed the spelling of the thread. BTW for those who don't know it, the pronounciation was / is Gran'-dee, not grand or the French Grahnd.

Leob, remind me to move this into the Grande Forum when it expires.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4967
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just thought I'd take a second to give props to the band Spirit. I noticed that JimG mentioned them as one group that don't get much attention from the younger folks. Well, that may be so, but for me personally, "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I'm definitely in this camp as well.

If you're a fan of this era of music, taking a trip over to the Motor City Music Archives site (sorry, don't have it bookmarked anymore after my hard drive crash, or else i'd link it) is definitely worth it. They have pages with the calendars of places like the Grande and the Eastown showing who played what when. Some of those bills will blow your mind. What I would do for a time machine to travel back to any two-week period in Detroit in about 1969 or 70 just to go to concerts...

Jimg

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jokerman we must have crossed paths in the Grande at some point...I remember one New Year's eve with the New York Rock n' Roll ensemble, and that's about all I remember. Also Wayne Cochran and the CC Riders, man that was different stuff to me. Deep Purple was so good, they had the entire place dancing with that high energy organ jive...
please remember this was before they had that super loud 70s stuff, I'm talkin' "Hush".
But none of 'em could touch Sun Ra...minister from another world with secret sounds, spells and incantations...the rhythms and visuals were too much...

and Toolbox, sorry man not tryin to make you feel 'old', lol. Actually it makes ME feel old.

The_aram

Post Number: 4968
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, this was easier than I thought.

www.motorcitymusicarchives.com

some of my personal favorites:

March 29-31, 1968:
The Fugs, Sly and the Family Stone, MC5

June 1, 1968
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Love, Psychedelic Stooges

July 13, 1968
The Who,
Pink Floyd,
The Frost
(Early Show)

The Who,
Pink Floyd(?),
The Psychedelic Stooges
(Late Show)

February 21, 1969
Van Morrison, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Attack

I could go on for hours with this stuff. Arthur Brown AND Love on the same night? Are you kidding me? Paul Butterfield and Van Morrison? The Fugs, Sly Stone, AND the MC5? Geez.

Jimg

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow forgot about the Fugs...one of the first shows I saw at the Grande..."River Of Shit" and "Coca Cola Douche"...Tuli Kupferburg dismembered a doll onstage, heavy comment about Vietnam...Arthur Brown had his fire helmet on too, Crazy World indeed...wish I could remember Love, a band I really dug...
Only thing I remember about Sly is he never showed up...loved his music, tried to catch him three times (think two were at the Grande) but he never showed up for any of them.

Jimg

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is off topic, slightly, but in 1968 some friends and I were in a film at the Grande. They had one or two bathtubs full of Jello and we ran around the dance floor throwing Jello and sliding all over the place...it was pretty crazy...never knew who made it and not sure about any other details except it was during the day and we skipped school to do it. I think a band was there but not sure. Hey, it was the 60s...

The_aram

Post Number: 4969
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, you ever encountered a guy named Ken Mikolowski? I studied with him at Michigan for a couple of semesters. he's got some monster stories about doing poetry readings between sets at the Grande.

Leob

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jim,

I thought that was you in the jello film !!!
I think Sly only made half his gigs in 1968.
I have been doing "profiles" of Grande artists, check out Sly's
http://www.thegrandeballroom.c om/aow_621.html

LeoB

Dirthead
Username: Dirthead

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I was going to tell a story about how I fell asleep during J Geils at the Humble Pie/J Geils/Frut show but after looking at the great link the_aram posted I realize that was the Eastown, not the Grande. Actually the first concert I remember going to without my mommy. After that it was anywhere Alice Cooper happened to be, till I started working for the record company and got in free to all of them!
PS I believe Bob Seger's new album comes out first week in September(?) WCSX was or is playing the first single.

Jimg

Post Number: 650
Posted From: 152.163.96.6
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, name sounds familiar but no bell..only poetry readings I remember are from Ed Sanders of the Fugs and those were kinda poetry/rap. Leo, nice portraits...
vaguely recall the Eastown, but Gargoyle nailed it: the Grand-e was more intimate and had a special vibe, and a striking light show too, lol. 'bout the last rock n roll show I attended was J Geils/Allman Bros at the Eastown, JGeils had a great rhythm section. The magic for me was gone by that point, anyway. Goose Lake was kinda the death knell, I hated those incredibly loud bands like Mountain, the good vibes were gone, and I was movin' to a different drummer...Elvin Jones! None of 'those 70s bands' made a dent...
David Carson captures a lot of Det's white music history in Grit, Noise and Revolution.

Jimg

Post Number: 651
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS didn't intend to commandeer this thread, thought my 'personal pack of lies' might add context, or flavor, to the Grande (thanks for clarifying the proun., Lowell).
The 70s scene was totally different, night and day...we were still graced with Nixon and his pals...no more JFK, RFK, or MLK, Jimi, Jim, Janis, 'Trane...it really felt like this place was unravelling. Weathermen, Chicago 7, it was pretty nutty. The real soundtrack came from John Coltrane and Miles...jazz was on a different level.

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 24.199.98.217
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, thanks for bringing up Goose Lake. Maybe this should be another thread, but wondered why that festival isn't mentioned more often by rock journalists. Seemed like an incredibly large and, even for that time, excessive festival. Never heard about it all until reading Grit, Noise, and Revolution and then the 1970 WKNR Goose Lake interviews w/Mitch Ryder & Iggy. (The MP3 link for the interviews was on www.keener13.com, but can't find it now.) Interesting to hear someone describe it firsthand.

Leob

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,

Let's not forget the importance of the Grande prior to the rock era.
In fact, that whole strip of Grand River at Joy was once a Pre-war entertainment Mecca.

Grande Ballroom - 1928 - 1000 to 2000 capacity
(Grand) Riviera theater - 1925 - 2800 capacity
(Riviera) Annex theater - 1927 - 1800 capacity
Mirror Ball Ballroom c.? Capacity min 1000

That's the capacity of nearly 8000 people on a Saturday night !! And this was just for movies and dancing !!
All built on the east side of Grand River..

Leo B

Gargoyle

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember being confronted by my mother when I came home about 2 am with the usual "Where have you been?" question. When I told her I had been at a rock concert at the "Grandee" she sternly corrected my pronunciation and told me not to think I was so smart as she had been there herself many times to see "real" musicians like Benny Goodman. She was saddened to hear that the place had sunk so low as to have to host rock bands. If she could only see it now.......

Leob

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grand Riviera theater up the street (1925) dropped the "Grand" from its 4 story marquee by 1930, perhaps partly to distinguish itself from the new Grande Ballroom marquee (1928).
The owners of the ballroom may have added the "E" to add distinction (as in "Grahnde Ballroom") and seperation from the owners of the Riv.
I think us Midwesterners may have eventually put our own distinction on it, with our accents having a bash at pronouncing it like the river in Texas - "Rio grandeh" becomes "Rio Grandee" becomes "Grandee Ballroom" !!

Leo B

The_aram

Post Number: 4970
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Aram, name sounds familiar but no bell..only poetry readings I remember are from Ed Sanders of the Fugs and those were kinda poetry/rap.

yeah, Ed Sanders. i really dig his stuff. there's a really cool film out there called, I think, Poetry Lives, and it's got some really cool footage of Sanders and the Fugs and some of his more avant garde poetry readings (with these really funky electronic instruments). it's a great film to check out if you like people like Ted Berrigan, Ginsberg, Bukowski, William Burroughs...

Jokerman

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone brought up the Eastown. The most memorable show that I saw there was the opening night of Joe Cocker and Leon Russell's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour". It was awesome. Remember they made a movie of the tour. The Eastown was the first stop.

Jokerman

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just listened to MC5's "Kickout the Jams" yesterday. I played it so loud, just like at the Grande, that I was afraid that I would blow my speakers out. It drove my wife crazy!

"I wanna see a sea of hands....."

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kind of a "sideways" threadjack here, but has anyone seen MC5: A Sonic Revolution: Live @ London's 100 Club? Great archival bonus footage, including the Grande and the Belle Isle Love-in, with some great background commentary from the survivng members. Best one: Davis or Thompson asks Wayne Kramer where the "American Flag" guitar is now, and Wayne says, "That disappeared into a hole in my arm!" One more question, and I'll shut up!!!; Is the movie "MC5: A True Testimonial" ever going to come out on DVD? I sure would like to see it, let alone have a copy!!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 208.187.136.38
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One more question, and I'll shut up!!!; Is the movie "MC5: A True Testimonial" ever going to come out on DVD? I sure would like to see it, let alone have a copy!!!

Last I heard it was bogged down in legal problems. The band were supposed to be suing the filmmakers over royalties I think. I saw it at the DIA a few years ago. Great film.

Jimg

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, "True Testimonial" has great footage from the Grande and Tartar Field, Chicago 1968 as well as current film of the Grande, still majestic in its ruin...

Leob

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"True Testimonial" is a very well done film.
As the result of the problems between the band and the film makers, DVD copies have now leaked into the bootleg market.
There is tremendous interest in this film that effectively documents the MC5 and the Grande experience. It is a shame it cannot enjoy an "above ground" release.

Jokerman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw "MC5 A Sonic Revolution". In fact I own it on DVD. It's pretty wild to see the 5 as old geezers!

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 207.107.50.100
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very curious about the "Love" gig mentioned above. From my understanding, it was very rare for them to play any shows outside of the west coast, which is part of the reason they never achieved more than cult status - at least back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised if this was their only Detroit gig, and I'd be even less surprised to find out that they never showed up....In any event, for my money, they're probably the most underrated band of the era. I "love" 'em.....Let's hope Arthur Lee pulls through....

Toolbox

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

loeb

"True Testimonial" is a very well done film.
As the result of the problems between the band and the film makers, DVD copies have now leaked into the bootleg market.
There is tremendous interest in this film that effectively documents the MC5 and the Grande experience. It is a shame it cannot enjoy an "above ground" release.

One of the film makers is Rob Tyners son Robin Deminer (he might go by Tyner now). I heard an inteerview with Wayne Kramer and it did not seem like it will be settled anytime soon.

Jimg

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely remember Arthur Brown (how could one forget onstage fire?) but don't recall "Love" at all, and I really dug their music - can hear "My Little Red Book" right now, lol...maybe Jokerman was there? Or someone could ask Uncle Russ...

Toolbox

Post Number: 950
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Love song that recieved wider play as a cover is ALONE AGAIN OR... It was a minor hit for The Dammned in the 80's.

There is a fundraiser scheduled in NY featuring Arthur Lee, page and Plant and many others. It is to raise funds for the treatment of Arthur Lee's lukeima.

(Message edited by toolbox on July 18, 2006)

Jokerman

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, I remember Love, but I can't remember if I saw them at the Grande or not. You know what they say about the sixties. Sorry.

Jimg

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jethro Tull...Ian Anderson wearing a full-length fur coat, in the summer no less...that was a good band. Janis Joplin, think with Big Brother but maybe her Full-Tilt Boogie Band, little rough around the edges but lots of feeling. Pink Floyd had speakers around the dancefloor, what a groovy sound man, LOL. Silver Apples from San Francisco..they had a Mogue Synthesizer that took FOREVER to program, looong pauses between numbers.
Can't forget Quicksilver Messenger Service, another SF band...

Erikto

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 64.228.108.67
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That fantastic 'True Testimonial' doc is indeed out of dvd, including the bonus features (more of the Wayne State Tube Works live b/w footage, a great Grande soundcheck for "Tonight", other stuff). Toronto's better stores were selling copies, it's a great dvd!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 68.252.4.180
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow what a great thread.
I work for John Sinclair as his Merchandise Guru and Road Manager. Being an old friend of Lowell's John reads the fourm, I will point this thread out to him....

I will tell you that I sell the shit out of MC5 KICK OUT THE JAMS a film by Leni Sinclair and Cary Loren. This is a great DVD. This DVD contains rare never seen before footage of the MC5 during the peak of the band's creativity, with audio perforanaces selected to complement the visuals. Also the DVD has a BONUS interview with JOHN SINCLAIR live at Crazy Jim's in Ann Arbor from 11-19-03..... John will be touring the Detroit area early August and this DVD along with GUITAR ARMY and other classics are available at all his shows, so stop by mention the DETROITYES.COM fourm and I will have a treat for you....

KICK OUT THE JAMS MUTHERFUCKER!

The_aram

Post Number: 4975
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back when i was in high school (geez, this must have been... all of 3 years ago.) i played in the jazz band. every year we played the Montreauz festival in Hart Plaza. i played it twice. and the second year, we're walking down to the Pyramid Stage to set up our gear, and we're early. so who is on stage?

John Sinclair.

I freaking flipped out. I was going to be playing on the same stage that John Sinclair had just played. It was some seriously cool shit. As a lifetime Beatles fan, I was introduced to him as the guy John Lennon did the freedom concert for at Crisler in, what, '71. and then went from there.

is there a tour schedule out there somewhere for the August shows? i'd love to check it out.

Jimg

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John will also appear at the Det Int'l Jazz Fest this year, details available in about two wks.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1427
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember John Sinclair appearing at my high school--Bishop Gallagher--back in 1972. I think Catfish Hodge may have played on the same bill.

Leob

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out my interview with John Sinclair at:
http://www.thegrandeballroom.c om/john_sinclair_interview.htm l

Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed thegrandeballroom.com site.

Also the Crow's Nest was mentioned on this thread. Though they were probably talking about either Crow's Nest East or West, anybody have a description of the original Crow's Nest on John R?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 4.229.141.161
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One of the film makers is Rob Tyners son Robin Deminer (he might go by Tyner now).

This didn't sound right to me so I looked up the credits. He is not listed. Also the filmmakers did a Q and A at the DIA and they did not mention any family connection to the band.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt03 33847/fullcredits

Jimg

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember going to an event around 1967 or early 1968 at a small meeting hall in Det. John and a couple of his colleagues were at a table in front answering questions from, and in some cases debating with, audience members. About 50 people in attendance. My friends and I looked like John & Co. whereas most of the audience was straight appearing/acting. John motioned us to sit in the front row. It was actually very interesting, Sinc is quick on his feet and put together cogent arguments to support his anti-war views and some of his slightly wacky White Panther Party platform points. Very sixties event, it was...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2801
Posted From: 66.167.211.36
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Has the Grande been sold / slated for demolition? Look what I snapped driving by today. Future Home of Chapel Hill Ministries? Now that would be a switch. Any body know what's up? Since this is potentially big news I am posting it as a separate thread, but posted it here first as this this ~the~ thread for the Grande. Awesome contributions all.

Brande Ballroom Sold

Leob

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell !!

Holy Smokes!!
The Friends of the Grande were aware of the sale in May to Chapel Hill. We were also aware that they did a nice job of boarding the place up and even doing some masonry work.
We can only hope that they will reuse the buildng and NOT raze it.

Leo

Leob

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a satellite - Sanborn map overlay study I did of the strip of buildings including the Grande.

Source:
-1926 Sanborn map overlaid with blueprint of the Riviera Annex Theater (1927).
-Overlay Google Earth Satellite Photo of Grand River.
The Gap between the present day Barber College and the Community Center was obviously the Annex' narrow lobby.
Is the Barber College the old Fire Station ?
Is the Community Center the old Mirror Ballroom ?
It certainly has the common look of retail downstairs and large airy upstairs windows. Note that although narrow on frontage it is a very deep building.

LeoB

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 469
Posted From: 65.185.132.134
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the drawing of the Annex is from Waterwinterwonderland.com. Great job superimposing images

Jimg

Post Number: 667
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice mapwork, Leo.
The only Mirror Ballroom I'm aware of was at 2940 Woodward. Maybe the westside had it's own?

Leob

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jim,
I am aware of the Woodward Mirror and the Jazz connection.
In this famous Wayne State archive photo the Marquee reads "Mirror Hall" or "Mirror Ball" -Ballroom.
I have marked the roof lines in different highlights.
The building in Red is the only one still standing 8994.
Going up river we have:
-The Annex at 8990
-Today's community center at 8994
-The Mirror Ballroom at 9000 ?
-Two more roof lines each with a Marquee.
-Joy Rd.

test

Leob

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentlemen,

I don't want to pass any moral judgements here, but...
Although this film's release has been held up in court, all interested parties deserve to ultimately profit from a LEGAL theatrical or DVD release.
Although the MC5 never made "Britney Spears" kinda money, in my opinion they still deserve substantial financial recognition.
Please reserve any conversation re: illegal duplication to the thread titled "BOOTLEGS".

Leo B

Jimg

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, Leo. This is similar to the Fortune Records saga. The heir, for nonsensical reasons, refuses to license the material OR issue it himself. Result? Bootlegs and more bootlegs. It could have been equivalent to Sun Studios in Memphis: the building, studio, records for sale on-site...

The MC5 thing really is a shame - It is a valuable historical record. Once the let go review or 'advance' copies, the cat was out...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2819
Posted From: 66.167.211.167
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Leob. Rhymeswithrawk and PDtuck, please observer the conditions for participation in this forum do not use this forum to arrange an illegal transaction. Your posts in that regard have been removed. Artists still need to eat and get paid for their creations.

I too hope the DVD issue gets sorted out; it is a great work, but please understand my legal position in maintaining this forum.

Erikto

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 64.228.108.10
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still can't believe the people involved with that MC5 movie haven't worked this out. Earth-to-participants, the boat has sailed! Stores sell it, I'm sure it's easily found free on-line like the Soul Train stuff that Don Cornelius won't release officially, and piles and heaps and loads of other cool music stuff out there. Rhino made the friggin' DVD, their name is on it and those bonus features weren't circulating among regular collectors, take it from me, I looked obsessively for whatever MC 5 I could find for a long time. Funnily, when I met the film makers a few years ago, they were totally unaware of the audience tapes floating around which weren't really rare.
Anyone see the new, faux "bootleg series" of MC-5 double lp's? Not really boots I don't think, but some neato material nonetheless. Some, like Saginaw '70 have been around forever, others haven't been known at all among us MC5 peon-fans. If I hadn't already bought other records yesterday I might have picked one up. Interestingly, there are a few contradictory stories as to who is and isn't getting paid for those new MC 5 packages. I saw 'em at Dr Disc in Hamilton yesterday, I'll bet Dr Disc on Oulette has 'em, too.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, didn't mean to rule break. If it were commercially released, I would have bought it myself and trust me, I'm a big supporter of artists. I don't steal music and the like, but if they don't want to sell it...
I am sorry.

Jimg

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Country Joe and the Fish...forgot all about this song, it's a good sample of the band...Country Joe McDonald, vcl/gtr (sounded better on rec) Barry Melton, lead gtr Bruce Barthol, bass David Cohen, org this lineup played the Grande
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aEi ElnC-G0A
"Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine"...a friend of Dr Benway...

Here's Paul Butterfield with Elvin Bishop on gtr, maybe Mark Naftalin on pno?....believe this band played the Grande, they sound good on Charles Brown's "Driftin' and Driftin'"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TtW 2TgFQwZg

Kathleen

Post Number: 1497
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grande Ballroom is the subject of today's Free Press "5 Things About..." column:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006608150348

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1817
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that when reporters are at a loss for story ideas they cruise over to DetroitYES for ideas.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1498
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, do I wish I hadn't thrown away all those Grande Ballroom postcard mailers I had collected in the late 60s when I frequented a little gift shop called Kaleidoscope on Mack Avenue at Bedford!!! I wasn't old enough to go to any of the shows but I liked the psychedelic look of these miniature versions of the posters.

Leob

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's official! Tickets have gone on sale for the Grande 40th Anniversary show at the Royal Oak.
http://www.thegrandeballroom.c om/40th.html

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty lame it's in Royal Joke

Jimg

Post Number: 697
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leo busts his ass to promote a fine event which celebrates Det music history and your first reaction is to whine about the venue?

(Message edited by jimg on August 19, 2006)

Leob

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jim,
One must understand all the variables involved in choosing a venue for such a production.
The promoters considered a number of factors in selecting an appropriate spot. One example is The 1928 Art Deco Royal Oak is a close match athstetically to the Grande. How many 1500 seat Art Deco venues remain in the city of Detroit? Should you double your costs by contracting a poorly maintained low capacity room in the city of Detroit ? Understand that venues like the R.O. and the Emerald in Mt. Clemens are going to be VERY agressive when it comes to keeping event business in their districts.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wish I was close enough to attend!!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 69.136.147.97
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Leo

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 66.77.102.10
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! This could be the perfect opportunity for my next trip back!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 12.34.51.2
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems that when reporters are at a loss for story ideas they cruise over to DetroitYES for ideas.

Actually, you're wrong.
I got the idea from talking with Bill McGraw (who does the Motor City Notebook) that the site was bought. Having been in the building myself last fall, I knew that it's likely to come down. Being a huge music nerd and snob, I didn't want it to go away without people knowing about it and knowing that it is not "just another empty building."
Posters on DetroitYes aren't the only people who know what's going on in town, Bvos. We are journalists, you know.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting article about this weekend's tribute show to the Grande at Royal Oak Music Theater.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20061003/ENT01 /610030401/1033

(Message approved by admin)

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here see any of these shows?

http://ledzeppelin.com/show/ja nuary-17-1969
http://ledzeppelin.com/show/ja nuary-18-1969
http://ledzeppelin.com/show/ja nuary-19-1969