Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Moving to Detroit - Where Should I Live? ::: » Trolley Plaza « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 4.229.141.125
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone live there or have an opinion about living there. My niece is thinking about renting an apartment and I'd like to be able to give her the pros and cons.

Thanks

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 70.212.97.119
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived there in 98-99. I had a great time there, but I believe they have had some problems recently. You may remember the death as a result of an elevator malfunction a few years ago. I few friends of mine also recently just moved out under less than ideal circumstances.

I personally would not consider it an option at this time.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not lived there, nor have I ever been inside of that building. However, I have heard good and bad things about it. Some people love living there, some don't. I guess it all depends on who you ask.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 68.62.21.54
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DON'T DO IT!

SHADY, SHADY BUILDING.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may help you out:

http://www.apartmentratings.co m/rate/MI-Detroit-Trolley-Plaz a-Apartments.html

As E-hemingway stated, there are some mixed messages out there about the place.

(Message edited by hysteria on May 06, 2006)

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.217.204.153
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we are talking about apartments/lofts to live in the city, what places have people heard good things about and/or reccomend?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year ago I was looking at Trolley Plaza and toured there. I was disgusted by the way they kept their public areas and I think this is symbolic of the type of management that runs the property. I myself am a Property Manager for a very large apartment management company and know for a fact that when an apartment community can't even spend money on broken lamp shades and torn furniture in their lobby they surely can't afford to keep up their apartments.

Other observations that I noticed were the rickety elevators, unprofessional leasing staff (the guy literally grabbed me by my jacket hood to stop me from walking on freshly vacuumed carpet in an apartment because he didn't want to vacuum again) and the apartments themselves didn't impress me especially for the $$$.

Needless to say I chose another apartment building. If you are looking for a better run community I would look at The Pavilion in Lafayette Park. That is where I am and am happy. If you want my whole opinion on the place check out: http://www.apartmentratings.co m/rate/MI-Detroit-Lafayette-Pa vilion-364537.html

E_hemingway

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Millender Center Apartments on Brush next to the Ren Cen. I love it. I have a balcony overlooking downtown, the river, campus martius and Comerica Park among other places. There's nothing like having a backyard full of skycrapers. It can be breathtaking.

Your dollar also goes a long way while renting at the Millender Center. You pay about $1 per square foot per month. Rent includes all utilities except electric, free basic cable, membership to a gym/pool/weightroom at the adjacent Courtyard Marriot, tennis courts, people mover stop and easy access to everything downtown. Parking and building security are quite good with a full-time staff. Not that you need that downtown, but it's nice to know it's there. Parking costs $75 a month for a spot, which is a little on the expensive side for downtown living. However, it's in a secure parking garage built into the building that is quite convient and safe. A lot of GM employees park there during the day. Worth the money.

I, obviously, have nothing but good things to say about Millender Center.

My girlfriend and I also seriously looked at Riverfront Towers, Kales, Merchants Row, Lafayette Towers, the Pavillion, Lofts@Woodward and River Place Apartments. We could have lived in any of those and been happy. We also know a lot of people who live, or have lived, in those places and speak highly of them. They are all highly recommended for downtown/riverfront living. There are also a lot of great places in midtown and corktown.

The best places to find more information are:
www.modeldmedia.com
www.citylivingdetroit.com
www.detroitmidtown.com
www.loftwerks.com
www.detroiturbanliving.com

Anyone who is looking for a place should do some shopping. Make a list of things that you need, you want and don't want to put up with at your place. For instance, a balcony was not a necessity for us, but it was high on our list of desirables. Walk around between the different places and check out the neighborhood. The more research you do the better you'll feel about your decision. Best of luck.

(Message edited by E_hemingway on May 06, 2006)

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 4.229.39.31
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll pass the information on to my niece.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 842
Posted From: 69.220.233.143
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

margarite; i have several friends that live there and have few complaints. the major one deals with the frequency of down time with the elevators. aside from that, they say neighbors are very friendly and they love their balconies & views. i agree; the balcony and proximity to downtown are great selling points. the apartments themselves are kinda-low quality 80's style (but still kept up alright).

if she wants to investigate further, there's a good contigency of tenants that hang out at bookies quite often. especially on their "trivia night" (i think tuesday?). most are open to talking about the building...

another great low-cost, high-quality place to live mentioned above is the lafayette pavillion and lafayette towers. great community, great apartments, great location...

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 69.220.233.37
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What turned me off about Trolley Plaza when I looked there was this: they didn't clean the apartments until they had a lease contract signed. Nothing like the thought of festering dirt & grime in the vacant unit next door!

Dang
Username: Dang

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.213.205.5
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I recently moved out of Trolley Plaza because my apartment door was kicked in and I was robbed of my most valuable possessions. How's that? I can elaborate if you're interested.

Hochi
Username: Hochi

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 63.85.190.226
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first moved into the TP arodun 2002 the management company was doing a great job of bringing in good tenants with criminal background checks, credit checks, etc.. They also were doing a good job of fixing up and updating units as they were rented out. When I moved into my aparement I had all new fixures in the kitchen and bathrooms along with new carpet and fresh paint. Somewhere around 2003 they fired that management company and have been cycling though them with little to no success. It's a real shame because the building has amazing views and a prime location. It should be one of the best apartment buildings in the city. It's just barely functioning now. The people that are living there can't be happy about it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10042
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the major one deals with the frequency of down time with the elevators.

They had one complaint about the elevator going UP too fast, though the complaint was never documented.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 256
Posted From: 68.79.123.186
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can't even fix their broken down light-up sign.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 577
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Supersport...that sense of humor...always has me rolling in the isles:-)

I live in Trolley. For the most part I like it. I love my view and balcony.
I like the people that live in the building.
I like the location...walking distance to all of downtown and even Corktown.
I like that the Parking is in my building and is only $60 a month.
I like the layout and cleanliness of my apartment.
I like the deck on the 6th floor and the free space on the 29th for parties.

I don't like sometimes having to wait for elevators (though that has been MUCH less recently) but then again my last building had a manual elevator that was either there or not.
I don't like the details that aren't taken care of like signage etc. but I'm not a detail person so that doesn't bother me too much.
Basically, if you have the money and you are detail oriented and want new stainless steel appliances then there are plenty of newer and nicer places around.

I am there because I got a FABULOUS deal...and for me personally the good out weigh the bad. But to each their own.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Lafayette Towers for 3 years and the Pavilion for a year. They are IMO the best deals in the city and of impeccable quality, plus they are walking distance to Eastern Market. They are ultra-secure with uniformed courteous doormen. Nearby Lafayette Park is vibrant and beautiful year round. And they (both the pavilion and the towers) are designed by world renown modernist architect Mies Van Der Rohe.

Plus, on top of all that, at Lafayette Towers, my secure gated surface lot parking spot was only $10/month. And my car was never touched there. It's pretty hard to beat that.

The only thing trolley plaza has going for it is the balconies. Plus it's in a really crummy area of downtown. If having a balcony is really important try looking at the Jeffersonian. I've heard good things about it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10044
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only thing trolley plaza has going for it is the balconies. Plus it's in a really crummy area of downtown.

Is this guy for real?

rasputindog

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Kales?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, I used to live in the 2030 building on Elizabeth and everyone knows that side of downtown is really blew out. It really depends what you're going for. I didn't mind the apocalyptic scenery then, and the near total lack of basic businesses and shops. I was more interested in making music really loud late into the night and living really cheap in my big ass loft.

Washington Blvd. is coming around but it can't hold anything to the east side of downtown.

East side! :-)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81, Kales looks real nice too but I never lived there so i can't really comment.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 68.41.202.23
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thetrolleyswrecked. com/

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ that site. Kinda like fire jerry o

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 958
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to change the name since they pulled the trolley's off Washington Blvd a couple of years ago.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dsmith, Damn, trolley is f$#$cked. My brother-in-law wants to move there and I have to say he is motivated entirely by the option of having a balcony to fart on. Me and him gotta have a talk.

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.42.174.31
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newbie here, just moved into the Kales this past weekend. So far it has been awesome. I wouldnt recommend walking around in GCP at night but the building itself is super secure requiring key fobs to get everywhere (including inside from the underground parking). Our apartment was super clean upon move-in and the people are super friendly and mainly younger professionals. The building is quiet and the excercise center is pretty well equipped. Only concern is the price which is a little high compared to other places but they were one of the few places left that allow pets and that does include parking and all utilities other than electric. Hope this helps!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Circus Park is no more dangerous than any other part of downtown at night. I've stumbled through there many a night coming home from the bar. No worries. No shady figures. A few bumbs here and there, but nothing I would really worry about. Just as long as you act like you belong there and are aware of your surroundings, you'll be alright.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a perception that GCP is shady, mostly generated by the lack of foot traffic and nearby abandoned buildings. I don't think this is totally true, but I don't think those feelings are unwarranted either. I agree E_hemingway if you're careful and don't travel alone you should be fine.

On the other hand Lafayette Park is 100% safe at night. It is surrounded by residential and occupied windows facing the park and the nearby buildings have 24 hour security guards and doormen. This creates the percepion of safety, which in Lafayette Park's case is very accurate IMO.

Sorry if it seems I talk about LP a lot. I lived there for a long time and really love the area. It's one of the best kept secrets in Detroit IMO.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I agree E_hemingway if you're careful and don't travel alone you should be fine."

...we are witness to genius.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why thank you Eastside, it must be an East Side thang. :-)

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 38.117.242.163
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

uh oh, here we go again with the term "younger professionals"

read: white suburbanites

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.42.174.31
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"younger professionals"= pants with shirt and tie worn by people of all races. The kales seems to be pretty diverse.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GCP is really too visible from Woodward and the surrounding "loop" to be dangerous really.....I've walked it plenty of times....never have seen any bums showering in the fountain though, kind of looking forward to it....just to get the sense of living in downtown Detroit.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ding ding and there's the race card!! We have a winner!

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Andy can handle living close to GCP, anyone can.

(Message edited by Tayshaun22 on May 09, 2006)

Cmubryan

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just walked through GCP last night after leaving Chelli's. Honestly the thing that is annoying is there are more people approaching you for money than not. Maybe that was just last night but whatever the case by the third one it gets exasperating.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't remember the last time I got hit up for money in GCP. The professional panhandlers usually try to sponge drug or pint liqour money from me in the Cadillac Square area or around Foxtown. The panhandlers who have a coherent story aren't the ones you have to worry about. Those guys are annoying but mostly harmless. I'd keep my eye on the half crazy ones who haven't taken their medication and yell at nothing for no reason. Those guys are mostly harmless, too, as long as you leave them alone.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to a Tigers game a few weeks ago, I was waiting for the SMART Woodward bus at GCP and this guy was talking to me about all kinds of stuff, coherent though, and a nice guy. We talked for awhile while he was waiting for the Dexter bus.

I go downtown the next day to another Tigers game with my parents and I see him panhandling on Brush near the stadium.

I was shocked because he never hit me up for anything the night before! It was like it was "quitting time" for him, like a real job lol. I thought that was interesting.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages here. To participate click JOIN THE DISCUSSION at the left to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: