Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Detroit Moviehouses » Old Detroit Moviehouses - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those traffic towers were known as "Crow's Nests" according to DPD archives. That's from memory, don't ask me to quote the exact annual report.....
I'd imagine the officer in the nest wandered over to the Comique on breaks......few things change......LOL.....

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1512
Posted From: 4.229.105.137
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it comes to organs, the Fox is unbeatable. Not only its mighty 4/36 Wurlizer, but it also had a Moeller 3/21 Organ (with Artiste Player) in the lobby. Only 4 theatres in the world are known to have had independent lobby organs (as well as an auditorium organ). The Detroit Fox is the only surviving theatre of the 4. Those pipes over the lobby entranceway are fake plaster organ pipes. The real lobby pipes are higher up and hidden in the lobby.

The other Detroit organs today are located....

State Theatre Organ.... Castro Theatre, San Francisco.
Capitol Theatre Organ... Oakland Paramount, Oakland CA.
Fisher Theatre Organ.... Senate Theatre, Detroit (still has its original Mayan motif).
Michigan Theatre Organ.... in a studio of a private residence in Racine Wisconsin.

The Michigan Theatre had a 5/28 Wurlizer, largest 5 console Wurlizer ever created. It was sold in 1955.

The Detroit Fox's 4/36 Wurlizer was one of 4 NYC Paramount duplicates known as "Crawford Specials" (named for the most famous movie palace organist, Jesse Crawford). The Fox Theatre's in St. Louis, San Francisco (razed) and Brooklyn (razed) were the other 3. These 5 were the largest Wurlizers of all time.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 549
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a database of all the theater organs in the US. (I think from the manufactures records.)
Type in Detroit in the city box and see all the theater and residents that had pipe organs.
http://barton.theatreorgans.co m/s.htm
There are 166 records for just Detroit!
It's no wonder that WurliTzer had such an imposing sales office here. There were a few organs that were installed in the office. Man those were the days.

(Message edited by Psip on November 27, 2005)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 66.2.149.89
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for some of the seedier theatres about Detroit. While not film places, they might have shown the celluloid at some time in their pasts.

First, the Avenue Theatre, on Woodward and Larned, torn down to make way for the City-County Bldg. I like the two different spellings of burlesque/burlesk. They probably saved a few bucks with the fewer letters on the front side sign.

Avenue Theatre

...and the Gayety, on Cadillac Square and Bates.

Gayety Theatre 50s

You can almost feel your shoes sticking to the floor from those photos.

Saruthma
Username: Saruthma

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 68.60.160.65
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any information on the Temple Theatre that was connected to the old Elks temple? Where was this located? I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread.

Here's a closer look:

Psip

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is the same Temple theater, It had a WurliTizer shipping dated of 1/27/1927 from the factory. It was an E series console which means it was a small 2 manual (keyboard) and in the area of 5 to 8 ranks of pipes. Most likely had a toy counter (sound effects such as drum, car horn, bell, siren,)
It was a nice small insturment. would fit nicely
in a home. (if there were any left)

This is what the console looks like

Series E

Psip

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a closeup of the entrance.
WSU
Temple CU

Psip

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some great Photos of the Temple
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=1587&ty pe=5

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2780
Posted From: 24.22.82.162
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE TEMPLE THEATER, at Monroe and Campus Martius, Detroit, had about 35 good years as Detroit's most successful vaudeville house. It was nine stories tall. For 25 cents, you could see Houdini's act. Built in 1901, it was torn down for a parking lot in 1935. The City Plan Commission on the 17th fl. of the Water Board Bldg. watched in horror as it went down. Never did they think parking would supplant the Temple.

As young prowlers in the 1930s, Duke Ellington and Count Basie would visit the GAYETY THEATER, built by Fuller Claflin, when they visited Detroit. Gayety was a name in St. Louis, Kansas City, Rochester, etc. Ours was at 100 Cadillac Square across from the Barlum Hotel (Cadillac Tower). jjaba also attended the shows in his youth. It was billed for "GIRLS, MUSIC AND LAUGHTER" and it delivered just that. Per policy, it closed in summers.

At the AVENUE THEATER, you could see featherweight boxing matches, nudie movies in 1938, live burlesque and a house of comedy.

jjaba, back when Detroit had theaters for all occasions.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, The Brooklyn Paramount is extant. It was sold to Long Island University-Brooklyn as a college facility on Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. The main theater space is a gymnasium.

When you visit, be sure to cross Flabush and enjoy Junior's Delicatessen for corned beef sandwiches and famous cheese cake.

jjaba, sociology of delicatessens.

Gistok

Post Number: 1516
Posted From: 4.229.90.52
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is.... the one that had the 4/36 Wurlizer was the Brooklyn Fox (4,088 seats, razed). The Brooklyn Paramount (just 4 seats shy of the Brooklyn Fox at 4,084 seats) is still mostly intact.

Just as the Michigan Theatre has the fanciest parking structure ceiling, the Brooklyn Paramount has the fanciest gymnasium ceiling (and walls). Only a little of the plaster around the organ grills has been removed from the Paramount (to make room for basketball hoops), but otherwise, it hasn't been gutted like the Michigan Theatre has, and amazes visitors to basketball games. That theatre has been otherwise well taken care of, and is definitely restoration prone!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 982
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba and the Forumers have done a super job of narrating and placing nostalgic old photos on this thread. Very entertaining. Bill Kennedy would be proud of all of you.
Oh yes, just walking by a theatre on a hot summer night and feeling the air-conditioned breeze as a patron opened the door of those old movie-houses served to refresh an otherwise warm body.
I also recall the zillions of light bulbs that were on the underside of the marque of the old Varsity Theatre at 6 and Livernois.
And maybe someday we might have a thread on the (several) old movie houses along Saginaw Street in downtown Pontiac. I recall a lot of them.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock should dial up Pontiac-yes.com and see if they list the theaters.

jjaba's Aunt Selma (by marriage) worked the ticket booth of The Varsity on Livernois by U of D. She would let young jjaba and his girlfriend niece into the show for nuthin.' Now that was a cheap date. jjaba sprung for the popcorn.
jjaba reembers a baseball movie; he kissed her on the strikes, she kissed him on the balls!
(With a nod to Soupy Sales for that one.)

jjaba, Westsider.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious about this building...was it ever an old moviehouse, cause it looks like it could have been...Its on warren ave. between Southfeild and Evergreen.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rule one, post an address.

Rule two, walk inside and ask around.

Rule three, repeat rule two and tell us the results.
jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2791
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.cinematour.com

The Rock will find 19 theaters listed for Pontiac, Michigan. Enjoy and report back.
jjaba

Ericdfan

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha on the address thing, I will get one and report back...as for asking I will give it a try, but I doubt anyone would know.. It was owned by a foregin car part place called Frog for many years and then recently these guys bought it..

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1880
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericd., I am pretty sure it was a car dealership. I forget what brand it used to be. It is such a deep building due to the service bays in the rear. There are similar buildings up and down Livernois and a few along GR still standing as well.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats rather disapointing..It looks way to fancy to have been a car dealership..it was recently renovated tho..I wish i had some pics of what it looked like before they did...anyway, I got the address. its 19020 W. Warren Ave.

I've also been wondering about another building..I don't have a pic of this one yet, but currently its a Moose Lodge. Its addy is 29137 Ford Rd. in Garden City.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 66.2.149.56
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cass Theatre at Lafayette and Cass. Looked like a respectable playhouse back then. Note the Olde Wayne Club behind it and the Greyhound bus.

Cass Theatre

Ericdfan

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it!
It was indeed a old Detroit Movie house know as the Hoover!
I talked with my uncle and he told me it was, but he couldn't remember what it was called. We did some internet searching and fround this PDF file:
http://movie-theatre.org/usa/m i/detroit/detroit.pdf

If you look down in the southwest area of the map, you will see the Warren; which is east of southfield and then the Hoover, which is on the west side.. My uncle says he remembers going to see movies there. He thinks it closed sometime in the 1960's as a movie theater. After that it became a small concert hall, named Laura Hall. The last time it was used for a concert was 1985.
So, we have a new one to add to the list:
Hoover- 19020 W. Warren Ave Detroit, MI

I also see that the other Movie house that I mentioned (the one in Garden city) might be the Shafer. Its right past where the Dearborn Drive in used to be (where the Heights shopping center now is).
It also shows the Melody, which used to be in Inkster..It was last used as an adult complex. I beleive it was torn down sometime the turn of the century when residents complained about the crime and prostution..

Psip

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find on that map Ericdfan. It is very helpful.
Thank you for you contributions.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anytime, I really love history as far as that goes...I found out after I posted this that the map actually has 6 pages and you can find current movie theaters on it as well...

Rustic

Post Number: 1881
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericd, wow, thanks for looking that up. I was pretty sure that was a loong skinny auto dealership. I stand corrected ...

Ericdfan

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was that for a while, too...Back when it was part of Frog foreign auto parts. I remeber them selling used MG's and Fiats out of the lot..

Rustic

Post Number: 1882
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericd, no I was thinking of before that. I was thinking it was an old new car dealership (maybe eventually the used car lot associated with a nearby new car dealership). Must be mistaking it in my memory with something else ... it is likely as the Hoover was before my time ...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Frog's still there?!

I wanna MG!

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 509
Posted From: 216.203.223.69
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found another view of the Cass Theatre, another angle and an earlier date.

Cass Theatre

Here's another Downtown theater that I've seen on maps as the Lafayette, on Lafayette and Shelby, next to the old post office, and going by some old aerial photos, matches what is in this photo, the Orpheum, from the 1920s.

Orpheum Theatre

Ericdfan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c,

No, it got bought out by a different company now, its an american auto repair and parts complex.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More info on the Hoover Theater (thanks to madhush69 on livejournal for tracking this down):
The Hoover Theater was owned and operated by Simon Leja. Simon, often known as "Sam", was an immigrant from Poland. He had operated a bar/restaurant until prohibition. During prohibition, he kept the restaurant going, but he kept his eye out for another business to get into. Simons friend, Stanley Oleszkowicz, owned the Chopin Theater, and Simon decided to join him in the movie business. Simon opened the Hoover Theater in 1929, while Herbert Hoover was president of the United States. About the time that Simon opened the Hoover, Stanley Oleszkowicz started building a new, bigger theatre down the street. (That would be the Stanley Theater.)

The Hoover held only 404 seats, which was rather small for those days. (By comparison, at some multiplexes, 404 seats would be about the size of the next-to-largest "auditorium".) Shortly after the Hoover opened, the depression hit. Times were hard, and the Hoover had trouble making much money. According to Henry Leja (Simons son, born in 1918 and still quite alert as of this writing), if the theatre ever made money, the distriubtor simply raised the studios percentage of the box office. In 1943, with Henry and his brothers off to war, Simon decided to close the Hoover and return to the restaurant/bar business. He rented space from Stanley Oleszkowicz in the block of the Chopin Theater (on Michigan Avenue) and later bought the property outright. His daughter, Claire, ran the establishment, later known as Claires OK Restaurant, until she retired in 1993.

As for the Hoover, after Simon got out of the movie business, it was owned by the Lowry Dance Ensemble for many years and was often a hall for rent. (They used only the lobby of the theatre building.) Today, I am told, it is an auto parts store. When last I was in htat neighbourhood, I could still clearly read the painted brick announcing, "Hoover Theater". The sign hasnt been touched up in decades, but still, the ghost of the old paint is quite definitely there.

Credit for this info goes to Steve Bielawski from www.waterwinterwonderland.com

Ericdfan

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to waterwinterwonderland.com, it closed in 1943..That could be the reson that its not on the list at the begining of this post..

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 516
Posted From: 66.2.148.214
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Majestic Theatre awaiting opening night.

Majestic Theatre

Jjaba

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful pictures, Hornwrcker.
Here's some notes on recent enquiries.

CASS THEATER. 117 W. Grand River. Detroit.
1911-1923.

ORPHEUM THEATER. 8945 Mack Avenue. Detroit.
1911-1915. AKA SHUBERT.
Smith Hinchman and Grylls.

CHOPIN THEATER. 7320 Michigan Avenue. Detroit.
Built: 1922. C. Howard Crane.

MAJESTIC Theater. 4136 Woodward Ave. Detroit.
Built: 1915 C. Howard Crane.
Remodel in 1930s, Bennett and Straight.
1651 seats. Legitimate then movies.

MELODY THEATER. 28765 Michigan Ave. Inkster, Mich.
AKA MELODY ART (Adult)

SHAFER THEATER. Ford Rd. and Middlebelt. Garden City, Mich. 1939, Bennett and Straight.
AKA LA PARISIAN Theater after 1964 remodel.
Had rocking seats. Run by the Shafer Family.

jjaba, research dept. for the people.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 518
Posted From: 66.2.148.85
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to disagree with my research department, but youse got's the wrong Cass and Orpheum theatres. I think that there were multiple ones, same names, different locations.

I present Exhibit A:

Lafayette and Cass

If you would please place your attention on the the theatre labeled Lafayette/Orpheum above the Old Post Office. This is clearly the same building, previously posted, that was identified as the Orpheum, if one looks at the fire escapes on the west side of the theatre.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker's Research Dept. has some additional info. for him.

ORPHEUM THEATER. Shelby and Lafayette, Detroit.
Built: 1911, Smith Hinchman and Grylls.
Murals by Maxwell Parrish.
1915: Named changed to LAFAYETTE THEATER. (to reflect the street name.)

Name then changed to SHUBERT-LAFAYETTE.
1965: Closed and demolished for Dime Bldg. parking structure.

Operated as a legitimate theater operated by the Shubert Bros. Production Company. Part of a large circuit. Shubert's currently operate 39 theaters on Broadway plus many smaller venues.

The Shubert Foundation funds 100s of theaters in USA. In Michigan, they give money to Detroit Repertory Theater, Jewish Ensemble Theater, Hilberry Theater in Lansing, and the Purple Rose Theater in Chelsea.

jjaba attended plays at the Detroit Shubert-Lafayette in the 1950s and 1960s.

jjaba, Hornwrecker Research Dept., waiting on line at The Shubert.

Psip

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the Cinerama play at the Shubert at one time? I know it was at the Music Hall but think moved to another theater.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 521
Posted From: 66.2.148.144
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker thanks the research department, and he should have realized that it was only setting up the history for big finale of the Shubert info.

Here's a rather crappy shot of the the Highland Park Theatre from the 1930s.

Highland Park Theatre

Jjaba

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's a photo way below Hornwrecker standards. What does the tall sign read?

jjaba likes the barricade on Woodward ave. to prevent the hoards from killing themselves mid-block coming out of the show.
jjaba, waiting for the Oakman car in Manchester Yards.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, waterwinterwonderland has info on the melody as well as a LOT of others..has a lot of mice photos of drive-ins as well...

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 66.2.149.137
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the poor photo, but sometimes you takes what you can get. You can take the Oakman bus over to the Beverly to see Bing Crosby.

Beverly Theatre

That has to be the best Federal's deco sign that I've seen!

Jjaba

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba enjoyed that photo of his old neighborhood. Wow, now if we can post a current photo, people could see how abandoned Detroit is now. jjaba bought a suit and top coat at that Richman's store. Grand River and Oakman was a nice center.
Sears and Kresges are on the Northside and Cunningham's on the corner of Oakman where you catch the northlawn bus. (1940s) jjaba went to sat. matinees alot at Beverly.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 66.2.149.176
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the complete photo showing the Sears.

Grand River and Oakman

Just past the Sears marquee sign, is a Robert Oakman Realtor sign on the roof of a building.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, you're giving jjaba a coronary. He's so excited!

Notice the barracades along the Northside of the street to keep folks from crossing mid-block.

Notice the two center traffic lanes. Inbound, 7-9 am, Grand River added extra lanes. Outbound, 4-6 pm, rush hr. traffic took more lanes. Without police, people just obeyed the laws and it worked on a M-F basis. On weekends and Holidays, the roadway was divided equally.

We view Nash and Oldsmobile but we don't see any electric service for the feeder buses.

What's the date of the photo?

jjaba, behind Sears in the parking lot facing Elmhurst selling Bulldog Edition Detroit Times on Sat. night. At the corner of Oakman and Elmhurst was the Sears auto center. Notice the density of the streetscape. No vacancies here.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2200
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the year or years that all the Federal Stores burned?

Psip

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM I seem to vaguely remember a series of fires when Stephen West took over control of Federals. Maybe I will find something. :-)

Although not a movie house, it was a theater on Woodward between Congress and Larned. The Empress.
WSU

Empress

The death toll for the Family / Follies theater.
were you could see EP T OAT 24 hours straight.

Family

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 598
Posted From: 63.157.64.76
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UA and Michigan Theaters night

Jjaba

Post Number: 2909
Posted From: 192.220.139.24
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories, before demos and parking lots.
jjaba.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 24.192.32.249
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdfan,

Great photo and info. on the Hoover. I recognized it right away from your photo. For Xmas 1981, we rented "Laura Hall" (as it was then known) for a big rock n roll beer blast. It was just a big open hall with banquet tables insted of theater seats. My band played and we exceeded capacity by perhaps 200+ kids with beer on the floor and the 2 "one wholer" toilets overflowing. I can remember a low stage and proscenium still being there(we brought our own lights and sound).
The projectionist window was still there and it was rumoured that the booth was a converted apartment. As for "concerts" in the 80's, well,
I think we were perhaps the biggest act to play a "concert" at Laura Hall / The Hoover !!
Also, my father was a patron on the 30's and 40's and remembered the Hoover .. he was shocked that it was still there. Today, whenever I am in the neighborhood I always look for the building to see
if it still stands.

Leo B

Gistok

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 4.229.186.125
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hornwrecker! Love that shot of Bagley! There is a daytime shot of that street in the "DETROIT THEN AND NOW" book. Besides Griswold, Bagley had arguably the greatest concentration of TALL buildings (12-18 stories)along its corridor (between Cass & GCP) than any street downtown. And sadly, it has suffered more by demolition than any other downtown street.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 601
Posted From: 66.2.148.41
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found another of the Michigan marquee in daylight, from another angle.

Michigan Theater  marquee

What's that on the marquee? That need closer inspection.

Michigan Theater  marquee closeup

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

Gistok

Post Number: 1670
Posted From: 4.229.105.157
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The day the Michigan Theatre opened up was the most devastating day in all of cinema history.... August 23, 1926.....

...the day the world found out that Rudolph Valentino died of peritonitis. Over 40 million people (mostly women) mourned his passing.

Psip

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found some info about the Alger.
http://algertheater.org/about. htm
A group has been formed to restore the theater.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 4.229.75.16
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jumping back to the Great Lakes on Grand River on the west side... This was my main movie house as a kid. My elem school was Burns just a block and a half away.

Someone mentioned 'Hair', the live stage musical, playing there. I'm think this was in the early '70s.

Nederlanders (of the Fisher Theatre) operated the Great Lakes as the Vest Pocket Theatre in the later '70s. I don't know if they were behind the Hair production. The Vest Pocket was showing plays and musicals largely from the Black theatre of the day. Such as 'No Place to Be Somebody' and 'Ceremonies in Dark Old Men'.

It was both fun and strange to work there on shows after knowing it as a movie house. There was a stage behind the movie screen. There was a grid with rigging and linesets for hanging scenery and lighting. It must have been a legit (vaudeville?) house back before going to movies.

Into the 80s, it became a Baptist Church for awhile before it was finally razed.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob,

Yep! shes still there. They actually just remodeled it last year and it looks better than it has in prolly 40 years..

It could prolly be argued that it is an historical building and if I had anything to say about it won't ever get torn down...hell its prolly one of the oldest buildings in that neighboorhood..

Oldmanjazz
Username: Oldmanjazz

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.228.201.21
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures of Grand River and Oakman are year 1950....how to date? Go to any Movie encyclopedia and learn that Crosby "Ridin High" is 1950!!!!

Oldmanjazz
Username: Oldmanjazz

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 64.228.199.109
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Att. M. "Hornwrecker"

re: aerial photo of Cass anf Orpheum Theatres.
...not sure, but I think street labelled Cass is actually Washington Blvd.? ......then, 1 block east...towards top of photo or "triangle intersection" of Michigan Ave. coming in towards Lafayette) is Shelby. (street not labelled in PIC) . Saying that corner of Shelby&Lafayette=Lafayette/Orp heum Theatre)
...to verify: was not old post office on same block as current court house?...i.e bounded on south by Fort; north by Lafayette; east by Shelby; west by Washington Blvd.
...appreciate clarification as to 1) street names 2) site of old post office
Thanks!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2467
Posted From: 68.79.83.161
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to this map, the Post Office was Bordered by W. Fort, Shelby, Lafayette, and Wayne.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/pl andevl/advplanning/cinfo/beg/m apimages/imagesbig/1930sWolver inebackCBD.jpg

Any one know what happened to Wayne St.?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 66.19.21.70
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, thanks for the correction. It's easy to get messed up when labeling aerials. The question now is why nobody noticed it sooner. You guys are slipping. :-)

Wayne turned into Washington, don't know when or why.

Here is a map from the 1930s:

Theatres in blue
Old Post Office in orange

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on January 03, 2006)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were two Cass theatres, an earlier house @ 117 Grand River, and the latter, as pictured in the above posts, dating from 1926. The Latter Cass was one Detroit's main legitimate theatre venues until the re-modeling of the Fisher. The Cass was remodeled into the Summit Cinerama in 1966, and ran road show pictures such as "Grand Prix" and "2001" in the Super Cinerama process, a single 70MM projector with a special anamorphic lens (there were two projectors, and they switched back and forth, as was the custom back when). I worked as a projectionist there in the summer of 1977 running a re-release of "2001". We were able to obtain those projectors prior to the demolition of the building, and install them in the Redford theatre, where they are today.

Psip

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum 56packman,
Thanks for the info about the Cass/Summit Cinerama.
I thought there was a Cinerama on Washington after it left the Music Hall. You confirmed my memory.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Schvitz, former purple gang hangout. I have heard that it is now a sex club.

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 961
Posted From: 68.43.27.192
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to The Playgoer (Oct.-10-42) the Cass Theatre was home to Porgy and Bess with Todd Duncan amd Etta Moten. This performance was then to be followed by 'Without Love' starring Katharine Hepburn and Elliott Nugent. Beginning the week of Oct. 25th.

If you wish you could call Cadillac 1100, but I don't think anyone at the Theatre Guild will answer.

56packman

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, I have an issue of the Playgoer from 1933, the show was the Jerome Kern musical "Music in the air", at the Cass. I got it while we were (legally, with tacit permission) scrapping out the Cass theatre/Commerce bldg. There are ads for restaurants and stores that no longer exsist. I'll be writing a huge piece on this bit O' history for waterwinterwonderland, probably about a year from now.

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 68.43.27.192
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My copy came from my Grandmother, who attended a Wednesay matinee with her sister of Porgy and Bess. I have the souviner program from the performance. One half of my family began on Cass Ave, inside of a bar that was 'One Night In Paris'.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 66.2.148.168
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome 56Packman, and if you own the WWWonderland site, I thank you for the info, and you are more than welcome to use the PSed images that I've posted here (and swiped from multiple archives). Nice to have more bodies keeping this thread alive, as I've been spending time researching other topics.

I'm not sure if this one has been posted, but it is an old nickelodeon around Monroe and Farmer, my best guest.

Theatre Royale
LOC(IIRC)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 66.19.21.156
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old Majestic Theatre at night, nextdoor is the Hippodrome, accross the street is the Woodward Arcade.

Woodward ,rainy night, Majestic Theatre

Majestic Theatre and Hippodrome night

Psip

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Latin Quarter as it looks today.

LQ

Psip

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Present
Whittier - E. Jefferson at Gd. Blvd.
7237 E. Jefferson Avenue,

The Whittier Theater in Detroit opened in 1916 as the Knickerbocker Theater. In 1932 the name was changed to the Whittier Theater. This theater closed in 1957.
Screens: Single Screen
Style: Unknown
Function: Unknown
Seats: 973
Chain: Unknown
Architect: Unknown
Firm: Unknown

Whittier 1
whittier 2
Whittier 3
^^^ 1949 photomap WSU DTE

(Message edited by Psip on January 16, 2006)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 733
Posted From: 66.19.19.40
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here a photo of the Palms Theatre on Woodward near Elizabeth. I left the angular distortion to keep the background builings in the frame.

Palms Theatre
WSU

Palms Theatre Marquee

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms is the feature with The Marksman. Strange double.

Psip

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Telenews on Woodward between Grand River and Park. Gotta love the Globe at the top of the building
Telenews
WSU

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In SW Detroit, there was the Rio - now a furniture store on Vernor and Central.

Rio

(Message edited by livernoisyard on January 20, 2006)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 679
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rio...isn't that the Target Furniture Store???

Mplsryan
Username: Mplsryan

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 24.26.164.215
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God the Detroit Orpheum was ugly, even for an old building. Nice cornice, but otherwise fugly.

Psip

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found some pix of the Campus theater, I don't know where it is. Possibly Lansing? It looks to be a very ornate building.
These are from 1977.

Campus 1

Campus 2

Campus 3

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 69.212.224.39
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photos of the "Campus" are of a theatre in Pontiac on North Saginaw, a few steps north of Pike Street. I think its historic name is the "Strand"

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 64.53.238.2
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the Mercury Theater @ 6 Mile and Schafer (I think)in the 60's? North of 6 Mile on the same side of the street was Mercury Fish and Chips. Probably why my cholesterol is so high today.

56packman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworldcity (love that handle) The Mercury was demolished about 10 years ago. It was a terrific art moderne house, the blacklight murals of the cosmos in the auditorium was cool. It was one of the few houses in Detroit equipped with Norelco AAII projectors.

Rustic

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, the Mercury alternated betwen showing first and second run moves a few times in the mid-late 70's eventually showing second run double features for a while and then I believe it closed for good by the early 80's. The people that owned that theater also owned the Norwest on GR/Fenkell which went through similar fits and starts in the late 70's/early 80's but eventually went back into business showing first run movies eventually closing for good in the late 90s (it was torn down recently). The Mercury remained a much prettier theater than the Norwest, it didn't suffer as badly from a 1950s/60's interior/exterior modernization as the Norwest. As a kid from the GR/Fenkell area it was kinda exotic to go to the Mercury since it was a good 3 neighborhoods away. As I recall the two theaters (Norwest/Mercury) would frequently and inexplicably show the same features.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2382
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw it didnt close for good in the 80's i remember seeing alotta of the friday the 13th movies there, as well as a ferw others. I don't think it closed until the 90's, but nonetheless it had been demolished by the time I returned from Panama in '97(so I think ten years is about right)

But to me the shows weren;t the highlight of going to the Merc...is the was the interior decor that stayed with me far longer than the memories of any movie I went there to see...

Rustic

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_s, thanks for the correction, but are you sure about that? the 90's? (I'll defer to your recollection on this as the Mercury not one of my usual theaters.) ... Anyway the interior of the Mercury was quite nice.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2982
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campus Theater, Pontiac, 12 N. Saginaw Street, Pontiac.
Strand Theater, Pontiac, 14 N. Saginaw Street, Pontiac.

MERCURY THEATER, 16860 Schaefer, Detroit.
Built: 1941. Ted Rogvoy, Architect. 2,000 seats. Streamline Moderne.
First neighborhood theater in Detroit to show first runs.

In 1985, it was twinned and renamed, METRO MERCURY.
Demoed, KAPUT, 1993.

jjaba, fond memories on the Westside.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 66.2.148.194
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While looking for photos for the Waterworks Park thread, this theatre showed up in an aerial from around 1960, at least that is what I think it is. This would be on the south side of E. Jefferson, just west of the park.

Theatre near Waterworks Park

(This is the best that can be done with image ehancement.)

Any ideas?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2361
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that's the Booth Theater. Opened originally in 1914 as the Gladwin Park, then renamed the Aladdin, then renamed the Booth. Closed in 1962.

Booth?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 63.41.8.235
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Regent Theatre (7338 Woodward, Basso Building(?))

Regent Theatre
LOC

That's about it for the theatre pics, unless another archive appears somewhere.

56packman

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker--I was in the Regent (then called the "Center") theatre in the spring of 1975, just before it was demolished. Helped remove the booth, it was sold by the building owner. The Center was HUGE. The lobbies were nothing, just long narrow "hallways" w/ low ceilings. but the auditorium was immense.

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As requested, a 1923 Sanborn Map of the Duplex Theater on EGB.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work on this site. jjaba is not an Eastside expert but he does have an excellent research staff. This just in.

DUPLEX THEATER.
3075 E. Grand Blvd, Detroit.
1915-1922. Evidently, it was not in business very long.
============================== =============

BALDWIN PARK THEATER, opened June 20, 1914.
9638 East Jefferson, Detroit. 894 seats.
E. H. Rogers, architect.

Named changed to ALADDIN THEATER, 1923-24.
Then closed until 1938.

Re-named BOOTH THEATER in 1938.
1962, Closed and Kaput.

jjaba.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 892
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Duplex Theater on E. Grand Blvd. become the Oriole Terrace Ballroom, then the Grand Terrace Ballroom, and then the Latin Quarter nightclub?

The building is still there, although it's missing its historic facade.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going back into the archived portion of this topic, I see there is a pic of the Duplex as the Grand Terrace. I wonder how much of the original facade is still under the metal covering?

As the Latin Quarter, the place booked top-notch national acts.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bunch of books from a theater that lists what movies they were playing and the ticket sales from each. I'll have to look and see what theater they are from, I bought them from a sale near the Alger but I'm not sure if that was the one these are from.

The Federal sign reminds me about all of the fires too. I think those took place in the late 70's early 80's because I was young, but remember them happening.

My childhood theaters are all gone, Eastland twin where my wife and I went on our first date, the Woods where we use to sneak in the back door and the Esquire just before it closed.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 63.41.8.195
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not a movie theatre, the Whitney's Grand Opera House on the corner of W. Fort St. & Griswold, was one of the first large theatres in Detroit, from 1884. Next door to it, west, were some houses, and the Detroit Conservatory of Music at Shelby.

Old Whitney Opera House

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hollywood on Fort Street.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A neat old pic of the Grand Cirus Theater. Was this the theater that broke box office records with "Sweet Sweetback's Baadaasss Song"?
GrandCircus

56packman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven-thanks for the picture of the Hollywood from the Sanborn maps. My late friend Henry Przybylski (he used to go by "honky tonk Henry" when he played piano at the Woodbridge tavern, in the days before all music must come out of guitars) purchased the Barton pipe organ from the Hollywood in 1962, and removed it just prior to the demolition. He took an exhustive series of slides of the Hollywood during the demolition, and having seen them many times I feel as though I've been there, even though I was 4 years old when it was demo'ed. The Hollywood drove the first two demolition companies broke, and really put up a fight. The Hollywood was a downtown-quality house that was built in an area that simply could not support it--even before TV came in. there are great pictures here
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=633&typ e=5

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 876
Posted From: 63.41.8.26
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old, Old Opera House, Campus Martius
NYPL

A different photo I found of the old, Old Opera House in Campus Martius, destroyed by fire in ???.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking back a little in this thread...the broken_main used to spend countless hours putting his back to school clothes in the layaway at Federals. Believe it or not I still have a bottle of mercurochrome that was purchased at that very store. I can't beleive how that area looks now compared to back then. What a shame!!!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 807
Posted From: 69.221.72.241
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is a huge stretch, since it was torn down in the 1950s, but does anyone remember the Roosevelt Theater on the east side? (Harper) ...

Pffft

Post Number: 808
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off-topic, but I was thinking today, Bill Gates or someone should make it a crusade to get all seniors on the web. Imagine the trove of historical info we'd have here ...

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 63.41.8.87
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, here's another angle of the Regent, with a bigger marquee. I first didn't realize that it was next to the Ford Service Bldg on Woodward and EGB.

Regent Theatre

The Sanborn map of same theatre.

Regent Theatre Sanborn map

56packman

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker--Bravo! that's outstanding. Yes, the entrance to the theatre was right next to the Ford bldg, as the Sanborn map indicates. The Regent had been renamed the Center by the time I was there (spring, 1975)and was In far, far better shape than the Broadway-Capitol-Grand circus was prior to MOT's wonderful restoration. There was nothing wrong with the Center, It had just outlived it's purpose, and a victom of the value of the land it sat on.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1184
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threads like these are what keep me glued to this forum.

Thanks all!

Jjaba

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Regent Theater, 7314 Woodward Ave., Detroit.
Built: 1916, Closed for good, 1974. Demolished in 1975.
Architect: Stratton and Von Schneide. 3,600 seats when built as a vaudeville house and legitimate theater.
Advertised as "THE BIGGEST THEATER IN THE WORLD."

The Regent was remodeled in 1953 and closed in 1959. Reopened in 1961 as THE CENTER THEATER.

Remodeled in 1972, closed in 1974.
Razed, kaput, 1975.

============================== ================

The Roosevelt Theater, 9515 Gratiot, Detroit.
Built: 1925, 1771 seats. Christian Brandt, Architect.
In 1929, became the Imperial Theater.
Closed in 1954. Demolished, kaput.

jjaba, Detroit theater history.

Pffft

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jjaba...

Gratiot? An old newspaper guide I saw online had it on Harper.

There couldn't have been two Roosevelt Theaters? And if it's the same, would it have been the Roosevelt in '53-'54, before it closed? A guy told me "The Roosevelt" talking about it in that time period.
I wonder if "Imperial" was a temporary name?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 926
Posted From: 63.41.8.107
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1921 Sanborn map of the Monroe block showing the movie theatres in light green.

Monroe Block Theatres 1921
Monroe Block Theatres 1921

Anyone what to put names to the un-named ones?

Pffft

Post Number: 821
Posted From: 68.248.8.8
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

D'you know what theater was on West Warren, between Livernois and Wyoming?

56packman

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 24.172.179.131
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft-the West end theatre was around there, I saw it about 12 years ago, it's gone now. Had a 3-10 Barton.

Pffft

Post Number: 822
Posted From: 71.148.31.252
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm ...thanks 56 ...

Detroit1969
Username: Detroit1969

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 70.225.113.20
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladies and gentlemen, the Cinderella.
(Image courtesy Burton Collection)
Cinderella

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 67.185.180.156
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my brother knows about some of the movie houses here in detroit.... I guess danny scared him off though.... he's skamour though... I dont know where he went so... sorry

56packman

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft-The West End was located at 6864 W.Warren, was open form 1926-1954, and had 800 seats, according to Andrew Craig Morrison's "opera house, nickel show and palace"--the first, and mostly accurate book on Detroit theatres.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 70.142.147.244
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Circa 1969, I drove to Detroit for a summer job interview. Coming from the west, I got off I-94 prematurely at West Warren, and I think I remember driving past a shuttered movie theater, the Hippodrome, on the north side of Warren somewhere near West Grand Boulevard.

Is my memory accurate?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 937
Posted From: 63.41.8.154
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a close-up of the Columbia Theatre map. I find it interesting the way in which they crammed it into that space and how the stage was oriented.

Columbia Theatre map

I tried to find a decent aerial photo of the block, but the Columbia is always in heavy shadows.

Pffft

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 71.144.116.150
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I'll have to look for that book.

An old timer who was telling me about a theater on "W. Warren between Livernois and Wyoming" went on to say he thought it might be the Roosevelt Theatre.

But nah, the Roosevelt was on the east side, on Gratiot ...

Detroit1969

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 70.227.13.216
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few more from the Burton Collection.

The Arc

A winter in 1950, with slush on the curb and quite a late show. Note DetroitYes spelling of "WHEN YOUR SMILING".

The National

What appears to be a segregated moviehouse in old Detroit. Note the elaborate box seats. Perhaps an old vaudeville house?

The Willis

A picture of devastation: Last hour for the venerable Hastings Street theater as it's torn down to make way for the Chrysler Freeway in 1961.

Detroit1969

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.212.54.4
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another from Burton.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 63.41.8.224
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see some new/old photos in here Detroit1969, and someone else helping to keep this thread alive.

For 56packman...

The Kunsky-Redford Theatre, 1946.

Kunsky Redford Theatre

56packman

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker-many thanks. we co-produced "Voices of light" with the Rackham symphony choir yesterday--this is a newly composed score to the 1928 french masterpiece "the passion of Joan of Arc"--silent film. Filled the place to the top of the balcony. The Rackham choir and the orchestra sounded magnificent in the R.
Interesting that in 1946 they still list the building as "Kunsky Redford theatre". The Kunsky organization (Detroit's premere theatre builder in the teens and twenties, and the holder of the local Paramount-Publix franchise) went bust in 1931, and sold the Redford to Irving and Adolph Goldberg, who operated the Community theatres chain. The Redford was their first major house, and we bought it from them. They were very good to us, and made the entire transaction easy for a group of amatuers.

(Message edited by 56packman on March 27, 2006)

56packman

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the Lobby, as it is today

redford lobby detail

Jjaba

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your success in the Redford Theater. The preservation of that property is the 8th Wonder of the World.

jjaba.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 808
Posted From: 69.212.43.86
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, congrats packman! truly a gem. is that one of the chandeliers taken from the oriental/downtown rko?

56packman

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa--yes, those are the beauties. When we took over the theatre in Nov. of '74 there were these 60's mall cinema things hanging there, a round, flat chrome base with chrome rods hanging, that had frosted glass cylinders attached, three sizes that decreased in diameter concentrically from the top.
there are pictures of us "doing the deed" at
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?ID=716&typ e=5
way back in ot'80. the other pictures there are the oriental lobby (the only portion of the theatre still existing), as it looked then.

Rsa

Post Number: 809
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen those pics before. very interesting. i had a chance to see the interior of that space towards the end of the century and it's in much of the same condition. hard to believe that it's still there and has been used as storage for over 50 years!

if memory serves, you guys have the wall fixtures from downtown hudson's jewelry department at the candy stand?

56packman

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa--The wall sconces flanking the candy counter are the same 60's "pole lamp" three-pod fixtures that were there when we took over the place. There are only four original fixtures in the bldg., the balcony sconces. We have reproduced a simple version of that fixture for the balcony cross walk, and hope to do more in the future to complete the restoration. Some of the guys were in Hudsons, before Dennis pushed the button down, and they got the electronic carrilon that was in the building.

56packman

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa-here is a pic of the candy counter area, with those '66 pole-lamp lights.redford concession

Rsa

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm., i guess i was mistaken.

i was one of and/or with those guys, actually. i didn't help with the carillion, but i helped with many other artifacts. that's where i thought i heard the rumor of the candy counter fixtures...

Jjaba

Post Number: 3476
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So RSA is a scrapper. The onliest reason you didn't get 24,000 volts to set you on your ass was the spirit of JL Hudson. He promised everybody that the bldg. would be stripped bare before Lowell's favorite implosion went off.

jjaba.

56packman

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Packman was (could be again, depending on circumstances) a scrapper, but with property owners permission, and schoolin' about electricity. "mans greatest servant or worst enemy"--so said the 16mm safety film.
Hey--there's an idea, a primitive Pete film festival!

Rsa

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you calm down there mr. jjaba! this was all for the detroit historical society and the exhibit at the detroit historical museum, done with the owners permission. done all for the sake of documenting the building and saving pieces of history before it was turned into a pile of rubble. :P

Dan

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip and Mccarch that is the Strand.

Unfortunately the Strand sits empty, after a botched renovation a few years back. It is in decent shape, the Attic Theatre was doing shows there about 10 years ago.

Dan

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone clarify I am confused, Is the lobby of the Oriental still intact and used as storage?

Why have I not noticed it? Anyone have recent pics? OR have any more info?

Thanks

56packman

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, yes it is still there, and looks like this todaypark ave apts.

But don't show up on their doorstep wanting the tour. They don't share the love, they have an apartment bldg. to run.
thanks to Andy @ Hotfudge for the picture

56packman

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few fresh pictures of my pet project, the Redford, thanks to my old friend Lance Luce, a great musician, and a very good photographer

.redford aud 1
redford aud 2
redford aud 3

Jjaba

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glorious shots. Wonderful.
Praise be to those who restore Detroit's architectural legacies for the future to enjoy.

jjaba, Westsider.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1013
Posted From: 66.2.149.10
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another alley-jumper, the Adams Theatre.

Adams Theatre 1921

Jjaba

Post Number: 3551
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great map, Hornwrecker. How did they breach the alley?
jjaba.

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 136.1.1.33
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bridge for the balcony and tunnel for the first floor

Jjaba

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, have to check it out? Still that way today?
jjaba.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman...thanks for the memories!!! Those pics sure brought back a few for me. Next time I get home I will be sure to find time for the Redford.

Bill_rush
Username: Bill_rush

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman-Did you know Carl Rush, my Dad? He was an old timer charter IATSE in Nashville and Flint. Worked Flamingo, Oakman, Globe, last the BdwayCap climbing the outside ladder to the booth. Retired about 1970.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One theater that doesn't seem to be mentioned either in this post or the Water Winter Wonderland site is the Grand Theater in Highland Park. It isn't even shown on that map of all the theaters in the Detroit area?? It was at Grand and Woodward. Lasted well into the 70's. Ended up showing porno flicks I think.