Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Jews in Detroit... « Previous Next »
Jews in Detroit - 2Hillelc82 08-18-06  12:22 pm
Jews in Detroit - 1Hornwrecker104 04-10-06  3:45 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2602
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faces of Beth David. While on a driveabout of the near eastside, I notice the gates of Beth David were open, presumably because of mother's day.

Tightly packed with graves, the Cemetery is like a forgotten island in a growing urban prairie. Only a caretaker was there.
Beth David

Meet some of the faces.

Grace Zack, mother and wife, died in 1917 at age 23.
Grace Zack

Essie Seidman died in 1937 at age 53.
Essie Seidman

Harry O. Turner died in 1952 at age 62.
Essie Seidman

William Zack, blowing the Shofar, died in 1953 at age 86.
William Zack

Betty Holtzman died in 1938 at age 32.
Essie Seidman

Capt. Louis Harold Blustein, husband and father, died in 1952 at age 32 possibly in the Korean War. [see below]
Lois Blustein

Abraham Grushkin died in 1943 at age 63.
Abraham Grushkin

Holocaust Memorial with no longer eternal flame sits in the small drive loop from the Van Dyke gate.
Holocaust Memorial

Veteran's Memorial lies before the Holocaust Memorial, contains the name of Louis Blustein [see above].
soldier

Finally a dapper gentleman whose name and dates have worn away.
DapperDan

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2503
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's and Hamtramck Steve's hunch is correct; there was a Boesky's on Dexter also. My 1940 city directory has these Boesky residents and businesses listed:

Abraham Boesky
sec-treas, Harry Boesky Inc
1559 W Euclid

Albert Boesky
druggist at 5001 & 5102 Hastings
3420 Oakman Blvd

Aleck Boesky
1468 Pingree Ave

Harry Boesky
pres, Harry Boesky Inc
2305 Blaine Ave

Harry Boesky Inc
Restaurant, Bar and Delicatessen
Famous for Fine Food and Liquors
8900 12th corner Hazlewood
TRinity 2-9366 & TRinity 2-9367

Samuel Boesky
2305 Blaine Ave

Samuel Boesky
2685 Calvert

William Boesky
pres, William Boesky Delicatessen Restaurant Inc
17405 Fairfield Ave

Wm Boesky Delicatessen Restaurant Inc
Restaurant and Bar
A Distinguished Delicatessen Restaurant, Famous for Excellent Food and Liquors
10340-50 Dexter Blvd, corner Collingwood Ave
Townsend 8-3020

That's it...7 Boeskys families.

(Message edited by MikeM on May 14, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, Boesky's on Dexter would have been on the vacant lot to the left of Dexter Hardware whose address is 10330.
Boeskys

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell and Mikem you are both helping to make this one of the richest threads on the forum. I thought I knew something about Jews in Detroit when I started this thread but what I found out was that I didn't know anything. I have learned so much more than I ever knew before this thread started. The cemetery photos you posted Lowell are priceless. Jjaba’s insights and experiences are invaluable to my education on this topic. I am truly humbled by the knowledge I encounter on this thread.

Lowell and Mikem you both are helping to make this one of the richest threads on the forum. I thought I knew something about Jews in Detroit when I started this thread but what I found out was that I didn't know anything. I have learned so much more than I ever knew before this thread started. The cemetery photos you posted Lowell are priceless. Jjaba’s insights and experiences are invaluable to my education on this topic of Jews in Detroit. I am truly humbled by the knowledge I encounter on this thread.

"Schem Ha Mphoras"
Jews Praying

Livedog2

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, and a shout out to Sarge for tracking down the Millman whack job.

Livedog2

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God -- how could I forget Sarge and the Millman info?

Many thanks Sarge, I'll save you one of my antique:

LONG ISLAND NEW YORK ROYAL BLUE SELTZER BOTTLES!
long island

Livedog2 {(:-)~

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3817
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jews always write G-d in an abbreviated form. There is only one G-d, so we don't spell it out.
jjaba thought you'd like to know.

Thanks to MikeM, Lowell, Sarge, and Livedog2 for their comments and photos. The picture of the Chasidim looks pure Jerusalem, or is it Detroit also? Ah, Chasidim take over Grosse Pointe, streets closed off on Shabbos. Oy veyesmere.

jjaba, Dexter Blvd. Torah Bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh G-d, I did want to know!

G-d

Livedog2

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 85.65.72.120
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great thread. Thanks, everybody.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.255.167.82
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A question on those photos on the headstones in the cemetary: How do the photos stay in such good shape? Even if protected with glass, they don't seem faded by the sun or anything. Are they perhaps printed on thin metal sheets?

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered that too Mccarch. A couple were faded but almost all were in excellent condition inspite of the decades. Since all monuments face east, perhaps the weather, which usually comes from the west, has not battered them.

There has to be aound 100 in Beth David. It is a nice haunting touch. There were far less in Beth Olem. More liberal? Some traditional Jews are iconoclastic in art, as are most Moslems, and expressions of the divine. Witness jjaba's G-d as a variant of that expression.

Klingon
Username: Klingon

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 66.202.51.125
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great thread, I had to join it.
My parents were married by Rabbi Adler ... I never knew the story though. How tragic.
9 mile and Coolidage - don;t forget Davison Coney Island, Tech Cleaners, Hammersteins Drugs.

Does anyone remember or have any knowledge of Klegon Drugs? There were 3 of them down around 12th Street somewhere?

Thanks

Jjaba

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jews are good with technology. Remember, we split the atom with day-old bagels. With a little help from G-d, our cemeteries stay nice.

jjaba just got gas for less than $2.00. (Taco Bell)

Ivan F. Boesky was born in Detroit, March 6, 1937. His parents are Jewish-Russian immigrants.
He graduated from MSU Law School. Most of the literature is filled with his crimes and punishments, not about delicatessens and pickles.
Further research is needed. (Like Alfred Taubman, he shoulda stayed home and help cut pastrami, but no, he wouldn't listen to his family.)

jjaba, Westside Yiddische Arbiter.

Livedog2

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, I worked at the Pure Foods Market in Hamtramck during the late 1950s. I worked for the market that was located at the Southwest corner of Jos. Campau and Florian St. owned by Mr. Fink. As an aside, recently I was in the Polish Art Center on Jos. Campau owned by a childhood friend, when he told me Mr. Fink had been in his shop recently to drop off some objects of historical significance for the proposed museum. I was shocked to hear that he was even still alive after all these years. I will try to arrange a meeting with him sometime but I digress.

I worked in the Produce Department and I had just gotten my drivers license after taking drivers training at Pershing High School. When Mr. Fink found out I had a driver’s license I was given a new job. Once a month I took the Pure Food Store panel truck over to Woodward and I think it was either Hazelwood or Gladstone Sts., I can’t remember which but it was in that area. I went to a very large Jewish Synagogue and went to the back of the Synagogue and picked up what appeared to me to be a very old Rabbi dressed in what I thought was pretty severe black clothes with matching hat. I can’t remember his name but I do remember him as being a rather happy, smiling person that over time always seemed to be interested in me and my welfare.

Anyway, after I picked him up we always went back to the Pure Foods Market where Mr. Fink and this old Rabbi would go into Mr. Fink’s office which was little more than a raised platform in the front corner of the store where Mr. Fink could watch the activities of the store. After their meeting Mr. Fink would call for me and always tell me to take good care of Rabbi Such and Such. Then the Rabbi and I would get in the panel truck and we would go all around the Eastside of Detroit to all of these businesses. The Rabbi would go inside with a black leather briefcase with straps on it, spend a few minutes inside and always came back to the truck with the people he had just seen wishing him well. We had a regular route we took to the same establishments every month.

Of course I was very curious to know what we were doing and I asked the Rabbi what we were doing and all he would ever say is “Business” and give me a big smile. I asked Mr. Fink one time what we were doing and he said, “Young men should not put their noses where they don’t belong.” But, one time I did ask my supervisor, a guy named Lenny what the heck I was doing with that Rabbi. And, in a very conspiratorial manner and voice said that was a Jewish organization of some sort that helped and assisted other Jews in business. And, that the successful Jews tithed 10% of their business earnings to help other Jews get started. But, he also said they only get three chances to make a go of their businesses and that the poor Jews were always the ones that had had their three chances. I take that last part with a grain of salt but I wonder about the rest of it. I was obviously doing something but what?

Can anyone speak to this because I have wondered about this all my life?

rabbi

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a system of Jewish communal life. Your example was organized by the Rebbe, perhaps in a synagogue. Other examples could be within a family with an elder doing the organizing.

Yes, somebody helped Mr. Fink and his Pure Foods probably. He needed capital and he was helped.
In return, as he made his money, he helped out somebody else. As for rules with failures, this was within that organization. Remember, banks don't deal with poor immigrants very well. This is a legacy, a vestige from Europe.

Koreans have a similar system for their new arrivals. It works outside of the banking system on family values, trust, and relations.
Then, all of a sudden, Koreans own a large number of stores, cleaners, and green grocers. Chinese set up immigrants in restaurants without banks too.

East Indians have bought up thousands of older motels and hotels all over the country using a similar system. They have set-up linear highway communities down some US highway, where every member of a family lives 25 miles apart, and the financing was done by the first arrival.

The Family Meeting might dole $100,000 to a young couple and repayment is $500 a month back at the family meeting. (Without interest by the way.) An elder organizes the program.
They meet once a month, have a big meal, and "the committee" has some schnaps in a back bedroom.

Mr. Fink wanted Livedog2 out of the business because it could be that the beloved rebbe was carrying money or checks. Livedog2 learned that a driver, be it private or in a taxi, doesn't probe around. It wasn't so much for secrecy, but most probably for the safety factor. Even a Jewish kid within the family might not know about it. Kid, drive careful, do what rebbe says, and enjoy your good deed. (As it is written, and ye shall be known for your mitzvot.) A mitzvah is a good deed.
Mr. Fink did his mitzvah for the rebbe and that group with you as driver who was working and would enjoy being off the lettuce box.

So tell us where you drove the rebbe. What kindz businesses? This is a great story, a great interface between Jews and workers. Thanks and Shalom.

jjaba, an insider's view.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba had another thought. That is, it was a synagogue project where the rebbe was collecting for a good cause. Perhaps he was building a school, perhaps he was just collecting dues for the congregation. Perhaps he was collecting tuitions. Perhaps he was maintanining a cemetery and collecting fees so he could hire repairs and lawn care.

Another theory might be that the rebbe was Koshering and inspecting. Were the enterprizes all in food or Jewish commercial goods?

Any food processor wanting Kosher certifications must have regular inspections to insure quality.
Such certifications could be at Jewish or non-Jewish purveyers. So some pickle packer deep on the Eastside of Detroit who sells to Jews would need the rebbe's visit. The rebbe would give the purveyer a certifdicate of inspection and carry a check/payment in that little black bag.

Until you talk to Mr. Fink, it is somewhat conjecture, eh.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great insight into something I have been wondering about for going on 50 years, Jjaba. Thank you. I am going to have to put on my thinking cap on to try to remember the businesses we went to. I do know they were all on the Eastside for sure. Some of the places we went to were Harrison's which was a dry goods store on Davison just East of Jos. Campau, Sisler & Lask Jewelry Store in the same area on Davison Ave. Farther East we went to a place called Silverstein’s on 6 Mile or McNichols whatever way you prefer to call it. Silverstein’s was a surplus store of some sort.

There were a couple of scrap yards we went to also on 6 Mile Rd near Mt. Elliot. Then there were a couple of scarp yards we went to up around the Eastern Market Area. Also, there were some manufacturing shops that were located on the fringe of Hamtramck like South and West of that community around the Blvd. somewhere but not West of Woodward. Now I’m remembering more because there was a grocery store on the corner of McDougall and Davison Ave. and a Poultry Market near there, too that we use to go to. Well, wouldn’t you know it I misspoke because we went to some butcher shops up near where this large Synagogue was located and they were west of Woodward Ave. But, for the most part they were Eastside establishments.

I had the suspicion that there was money in that briefcase that the Rabbi carried just because of the way he held it and made sure he always had it. When we started the day it was flat but by the end of the day it was very fat. This man, this Rabbi, was always very kind to me and always wanted to know how I was doing in school. He always wanted to know about anything special I had done since the last time I saw him. He was always keenly interested in my grandmother and her brother my Uncle John from Passaic, New Jersey. I think it was because I told him they were from the “old country”, Poland and they both spoke Yiddish plus a few other languages. And, that whenever my Uncle John came to visit from New Jersey he and my grandmother always went out for Giffilte Fish. He use to say to me that things may not ever be what you think they are.

That’s all I remember for now. But, what I do know is that old man made a big impression on me and helped form some of my thinking to this very day.

Livedog2

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would Fink have a kid who just got his license ferry the "the beloved rebbe" around, if he was so beloved? :-)

Pure Foods, now a dollar store, stayed in business long beyond what one would have expected, into the late nineties I think. Hamtramck Steve would know. I went in there a few times and remembered it for it ancient and groaning pad sensitive automatic doors. It is just down the street from my favorite New Palace bakery.

Livedog2

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Walter, the guy that use to do it died of a heart attack, suddenly.

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebbe had a relationship with you. He was sincere.
Ofcourse, you helped him alot. Until we have more information, we won't know exactly what he was doing.

Visits to scrapyards and dry goods store seems to eliminate his function as a Kosher inspector since that is mostly for food and a few religious articles.

If his satchel was growing bigger, that could be money, but it wouldn't grow fatter with checks.

jjaba's father worked for Smith Envelopes at 2460 E. Grand Blvd.(@Dubois) and then again at Russell and Clay in the Murray Body Works when his factory was called Cupple-Hesse. Was that one of the stops?
Dad was always generous with scratch pads, envelopes, and reams of paper. jjaba doubts rebbe came to dad for money, unless he was taking $4.00, dad's normal lunch money. Daddy did have Jewish friends all over those neighborhoods.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"died of a heart attack, suddenly"

Hmmm... :-)

Did you ever drop the rebbe off at the Schvitz on Oakland?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3830
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok so it's time to name Rebtevya. Or is it RebYussel? Rebbe needs a name. Thanks Livedog2.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't ever remember going to anyplace on Oakland but I do remember going to a place called Allied Grocers or something like that, I think. And, I got the impression that this was not just any other stop along the way because I always went in with him and waited in the waiting room for a longer than usual stop. But, it wasn’t that often and it was on the Westside somewhere but going on the Westside for an Eastsider was like swimming a river of no return. The only other time I went there was when my father drove the nuns to someplace on the Westside. The reason I remember that is because they use to love for my father to ferry them around because they always stopped at the house afterwards for “a shot” of Christian Brothers, of course! +<(;_)~

I only did that for about 6 months and then I went to work for Great Scott Super Market on Conant near Carpenter for a 25˘ an hour raise working in the Bottle Return Department! And, you wouldn’t believe all of the empty bottles that came in the front door, went out the back door and back in the front door. You’d of thought it was “big business” and I guess it was, to those that did it.

Livedog2

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3298
Posted From: 68.79.119.13
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's comment:

quote:

This is a system of Jewish communal life.

This is such a relevant comment to a philosophical discussion I had over dinner with a fellow forumite last night. Something on the line of about not being able to separate the parts from the whole.

I can also cite the lockhold on party stores the Chaldean community has or the Korean dominance of the dry-cleaning industry or the Indian-Pakistani control of doughnut shops. I do not cite these groups out of any form of malice, but of the obverse, my respect for their sense of community.

It is something that seems to be lost in the American Dream of "rugged individualism", helping your neighbor and family.

How is it that SW Detroit (Mexicantown) has grown into the strongest growing and viable area in Detroit? That area received little support from the City, especially during the CAY days, yet it became such a vibrant area despite that.

In my studies of Detroit, the various enclaves of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants made up a strong and vibrant City. Something that seems to be lost on those that are Americanized.

Livedog2

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right, Jams. It is the glue that holds peoples together. Without it all there is is the me and that’s not enough. For there to be a cohesive, purposeful whole we as a people need to get to the “Big We”. And, I don’t mean the “tribal we”, I mean the “Collective we”. Somehow or other religion, etnicity or race always seems to get in the way. Excellent point, Jams!!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3831
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 tells it like it tis.
(Expecially the part about Eastside-Westside of Detroit.)

There are so many stories of two guys meeting in foxholes in war, both from Detroit, yet hardly able to talk to one another since they lived on opposite sides of town. For example, jjaba remebers those thick DelRay Hungarian accents when he heard them.

Attending Cass Tech. and Wayne Univ. gives insight about how big and complex this city really is.

Yes, the ethnic groups in Detroit have pooled their resources and have been successful. Millions of Americans feel totally excluded from the regular banking system.

But we still don't know what the rebbe was doing with the black satchel.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can say for sure that we never went to Grosse Pointe, met with anyone that had a last name that started with a “Z” or talked to anyone that even looked like they were of Mediterranean ethnicity!
smile

godfather

Livedog2

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2949
Posted From: 71.148.29.71
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Pure Foods lasted to the late 90's, more like early 90's, maybe late 80's.

I'm trying to pin it down better, but the only thing I have to work with is recollections about where I lived at what time, whether I had kids yet or not. That sort of thing that old people do.

Livedog2

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the days that I worked at Pure Foods Market in the late 1950s there were two locations. One was located at the Southwest corner of Jos. Campau and Florian St. which is the location I worked at. The other location was also on the Westside of Jos. Campau about two (2) blocks north of the Florian St. location with a street address of 9715 Jos. Campau. How do I know that fact? The photo I have attached shows the address of the 2nd location which was more of a Milk Depot than a Super Market like the Florian St. location. The photo is vintage 1938 which I had no idea that the Pure Food Market was there in those days. I have no idea if the Fink family owned it back in those days. I do know that the Mr. Fink that I worked for had a father that use to come to the market I worked at quite often. It seems reasonable that the Fink family owned in then, too. But, if anyone has better information I will be glad to hear it. I have not been able to put my hands on the Pure Foods Market I worked at on Jos. Campau and Florian St, yet!

pure foods market

Livedog2

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1164
Posted From: 63.41.8.166
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As is usually the case, while looking for something else, I finally came upon the location of the Congregation Shaarey Zedek that was demolished for the Medical Center. This is the one with the two stone lions on the steps in a previously posted photo.

Shaarey Zedek 1921

Another thing I came across is something called the Detroit Pythian Castle (Hebrew), 3153 Cass near Peterboro in 1924. It had dining and club rooms on the first floor, and a hall on the 2nd. I have no idea if this was a Jewish fraternal organization, but there was also a Knights of Pythias lodge nearby on 2911 Cass and Temple.

Mikem

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klingon asked about Klegon Drugs.

Klegon Pharmacy
(Samuel R & Bernard C Klegon)
Complete Drug Service, State Liquor Distributor, Prescriptions, Free Delivery
Locations:
10000 W Chicago Ave
5003 Collingwood Ave
3906 Joy Rd

Samuel lived at 3037 Monterey Ave, Apt B4
Bernard lived at 5196 Tuxedo Ave

Mikem

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pure Food Dairy
(Nathan Finkelstein, Jacob Rose)
Grocers
9325 Jos Campau & 9715 Jos Campau

Looks like Nathan & Jacob were neighbors:

Nathan Finkelstein
2673 Sturtevant Ave

Jacob Rose
2675 Sturtevant Ave

Livedog2

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What genius, Mikem! That's exactly who they were but I didn't remember it until you posted it. Those must be the original owners and the people I worked for must have been their children. They must have changed their name because when I knew them they went by Fink. But, who knows Fink might have been their business name while Finkelstein was their legal name. Where did you dig up that information? What year is it from? That is great!

Livedog2

Mikem

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1940, from a city directory.

Klingon

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much Mikem.
They were my Great Uncles but I never knew were the stores were. I remember going to one of them when I was very young. I also knew that one of the stores was burnt down in the riots.
Do you have any other information? Does anyone have any pictures of the area at all?
Can anyone remember these stores?
Thanks to all.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are wonderful stories about Jewish names in America.

So two old Jews are sitting on a park bench downtown Detroit. They look familiar. One guy called himself Sean Ferguson. How can a Jew have a name like that?

Vel, after waiting 12 hrs. at Ellis Island, when the border guard asked my name, I told him, "Sheun Fehrgussen." (I forgot.) So he wrote down Sean Ferguson on my papers, so that's my American name.

First generation Pincus Warshavsky. Next generation, Pinky Warshaw. Next generation Paul Shaw. Same name.

Dr. Yosippowitz changed it to Dr. Joseph. He practiced for yrs. on W. Fort St.

Mr. Lichtenstein became Mr. Light.
Mr. Finkelstein became Fink.
Avram Lincohen became Abraham Lincohn.

Jews tried to name towns Yiddenville, or Yidden.
Next time you see anything around USA or Canada named, Eden, ask where's the Jewish cemetery.

jjaba, Westside Yeshiva bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phew, I'm tired and out of breath from my virtual sprint over from "Does anyone remember???” I am enegized after finding Emma after all these years. I have an idea about a way I might find out what the rebbe was doing with the black satchel.

The explanation I got about what was in the satchel came from Lenny my boss. And, I don’t think he knew for sure what was in it, but, just maybe -- guessed. That’s conjecture on my part at best. It might be a long shot but maybe if I could find Lenny after all these years I could ask him. Lenny also had a brother that worked in the store, too, but I don’t remember his name. I can’t remember Lenny or his brother’s last name but maybe people like Hamtramck_Steve might have some info about Lenny and his brother and what their last names were/are, or, anyone else that has information about the Pure Foods Market in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made contact with a childhood friend in Hamtramck that is working on getting me in touch with either Lenny or Lenny’s brother or both of them. Plus, I’m working another angle with someone else that can shed some light on this story.

Stay tuned, Livedog2 never gives up on solving a mystery! If you don't believe it just ask Emma Schuknecht, she hid from Livedog2 for 54 years but with the help of some friends on this forum we found her and got the story.

That black satchel the rebbe was carrying can run but it can’t hide. It’s a matter of honor, now to get to the bottom of this story!

Livedog2 on the scent…
scent

Klingon

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Mikem - help me out again ! You're the best on research. See my message a few earlier.
Thanks.

Mikem

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klingon, I'm eastside, so I don't remember the stores (too young too) and I don't pass through that neighborhood often. No pictures, but I'll put it on my "to do" list.

Livedog2

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I told you that EastsideWestside River in Detroit was so big and fast that people hardly ever went from one side to the other, no mater what language you said it in!

river runs through it

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1188
Posted From: 63.41.8.4
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU

I knew People's Market was somewhere in my files, it just took awhile to find it. (That's the best I can do enlarging and cleaning it up in PS.) My grandparents lived on Evaline, the first house on SW side with all of the flowers.

Livedog2

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, in the far right hand side of the last photo you posted on this thread of “Peoples Market” is a marquee that says “Theatre”. Do you or anyone else know what theater this is?

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 63.41.8.46
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure that was the Martha Washington, 10315 Jos Campau, opened 1924, closed in 1970.

... and before you ask, no, I don't have any photos of it to post. I've been looking, and got bupkis.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2631
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great find Hornwerecker. Nice to see my absoloute favorite bakery in the D, the New Palace Bakery. That would put Peoples at the corner of Yemans and Jos. Campau, just across the street from Federals Dept. store.

Here's one from my archives. The Peoples market site to the right of New Palace would appear to have either been rebuilt or extensively remodeled on the exterior.
np

Federal's nka Shoppers World
fed

Livedog2

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Hornwrecker it just so happens that I have a photo of the Martha Washington Theatre on Jos. Campau at Caniff. If you will notice in the middle of the photo there is an establishment called Max’s Jewelry.

martha washington

This is the same jewelry store that use to be located on Davison Ave. E. on the South side of the street one block East of Jos. Campau. When it was located on Davison Ave. E. it was called Sisler & Lask Jewelry Store but Max Lask’s partner Sisler died suddenly of a heart-attack. I think Max Lask’s full name might have been Lasky. And, his establishment was right around the corner from the Lasky Theatre. I don’t have any idea if Max Lask was related to the Lasky’s that owned the entire block that housed the building name Lasky of which the Lasky Theatre on the Jos. Campau side of the building was just one of the businesses along with Lasky Furniture on the Davison Ave. E. side of the building. Max Lask was a great and wonderful businessman and his customers really loved him. What better thing can customers say about the proprietor of a business they frequent? Sadly, Max Lask’s son took over the business when Mr. Lask got too old to run it but he was never the businessman his father was and ran the business into the ground, running off all the old faithful customers. Now, it sells gold chains to the “gang bangers” and is called Gold & Glitter Gallery. Here’s a current photo with the old sign above the new sign.

max's

Sorry I can't make the photos small enough to go on this website and big and clear enough to see better. Its the best I can do until I can figure out how to make them small enough and at the same time big and clear enough! Grrrrr...

Livedog2

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People's Market building now houses Amicci's Pizza and a storefront that changes monthly. Amicci's used to have the entire building, until about 5 years ago. They got a facade grant to redo the building, and they split a small space off to help increase their income. (Sadly, their choices in renters is poor. None of them have lasted.) But anyhow, the facade was a complete tearoff and rebuild. The old facade was not the building's original, and it was in bad shape.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to add, the curved window in Livedog's jewelry store picture was rediscovered after the Tornado of 1997 ripped off the aluminum siding that had been covering the second floor.

Still stenciled on there were the words "Max's Jewelry". The building was a beautiful red brick with those arched windows along the front. The building owner didn't have the scratch to rebuild the brick, so he covered it in that spray on stucco stuff after shoring it up for the future.

Livedog2

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say hello to Victoria the next time you go into the New Palace Bakery. She's been there for 35 years! She’s the dark haired woman with the short hair, middle age and always has a smile. Her family owns the bakery. The plum, apple, blueberry and raspberry paczki’s are not to be missed. Try one of the chocolate batter, raspberry flavored Maryann’s the next time you go in there for a loaf of Jewish rye bread, too. You won’t be disappointed! But, bring cash; they do not accept credit cards. In this case you can leave home without it!

paczki

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful documentary of Hamtramck when Jews had many of the stores, the cars were all black with American nameplates, and you could get a soda for 2 cents plain. Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end...we'd sing and dance forever and a day...

jjaba endorses any comments about the East-West divide in Detroit. Always was, still tis. You just don't go over there.

jjaba.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1194
Posted From: 63.41.8.205
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the other side of Jos Campau from that same photo showing Max's Jewelry. Somewhere I have an old copy of The Citizen lying around, I'll see if there are any ads for the places discussed, that is if I find it.

Livedog2, you could try this free program, which actually does some things better than PS-7, like sharpening images. Just set the jpeg file format settings for low. If you're using XP, I linked to an image resizer in the Springwells thread, it will do bulk changes.

http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/Analyzer/

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is fun learning about places long after I unknowingly took their pictures.

max

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops, I just noticed this detail...
max

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1195
Posted From: 63.41.8.205
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from at Jos Campau and Evaline to help identify any current photos.

I found the copy of the Citizen from May 17, 1973, but there are no ads for People's or Max's in it, so I'll save it for a future thread. The large grocery ad was from Kissing Cousin/Pure Food that I remembered on the back page.

Livedog2

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hornwrecker, I downloaded it and it works like a charm and it sure is a lot cheaper than PS-7! Thanks, again!

And, a great shot of Campau and Evaline! Looks like it might be mid to late 1950's?

Here's another Campau and Evaline connection. It's a dance card from the Metropolitan Club at the corner of Jos. Campau and Evaline for the Young Men's Democratic Club on Sat. Feb. 20, 1932. And, I used that new Image Analyzer to get it to the right size for posting! +<(:-)~
campau and evaline connection

Livedog2 having a great time...

Jjaba

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the immigrant Jewish peddlers came to this country, they scraped together money for a push cart, a room in a store, or a booth somewhere in a market.

Then, either buying, taking over, or leasing of a building for a real store of their own. It was with great pride to be an owner of a store. Sometimes, they were called "Jew" stores, expecially in non-Jewish towns or areas. Jews fanned out all over the country in small towns after peddling in these same towns.

A typical Jew store carried a variety of goods, mostly clothing, hardware, supplies, boots, coats, kitchen gear. Salesmen from warehouses would sell to them on site. They'd have a glove man, a shoe vendor, a hat maker, a dressmaker, a lampshade man, manufacturer's reps, also mostly Jews.

Then, they sent their children to college, and the era of Jewish retail began to wane. It was hard work and the children went into professions.

Replacing them today might be other newcomers, black people, Hispanics, with the same ideas of service, honesty, good products, and community fidelity.

And so today, Jackie Mason tells a joke. What about the guy, half Jewish & half Polish? Vel, he's the janitor but he owns the building. (Perhaps the son Hershel still owns the bldg. in Hamtramck, rents stores and flats, makes sure the place is kept nice. After all, the family has been there for 75 yrs. now. Hershel, the accountant, runs over there on Sunday mornings, sweeps, shovels snow, and changes light bulbs.)

jjaba.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, PC Jezewski. Hamtramck's first mayor, pharmacist by trade. He owned Jezewski Drugs, whihc still has a presence on Campau with its floor tiles still spelling out the name at the sidewalk.

Sent to Leavenworth for 2 years on corruption charges involving alcohol. He was arrested and convicted while mayor, and he was reelected mayor after his release from prison.

Klingon

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 24.123.89.18
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff as usual. Does anyone remember Arlan's Department Stores? Are there any pictures out there as well? I had family that worked at Arlans - would love to see old pictures of them if they are out there.
Thanks.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East side/West side division......my thought is that you didn't have to go to one or the other, each side had all you needed or wanted. Only time we went to the east side was to visit friends that had moved there.

Going thru old family pics to archive and preserve, found a bunch of pics of my Dad's home from the 20s, Stout Street, at 7 Mile, just west of Evergreen. Very interesting, even 7 mile was dirt.

Livedog2

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Hamtramck Steve was PC Jezewski, Hamtramck's first mayor a Jew? It never ocurred to me to even wonder until just this moment.

QM

Livedog2, wondering...

Klingon

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pamequs ...I know Stout street .... I lived ON Patton not far from there ....went to Mckinley Elem ...brother went to Taft Jr High and henry Ford High ....way back then.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Klingon, I lived on Patton also between Six and Seven mile road. Yeah, a long time ago. Went to Holcomb, then Christ the King and then Mercy HS.

Klingon

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were on Patton between 7 and 8 Mile ...I was young so I do not remember much though. What is that neighborhood like now?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lived for a time on Sussex, just south of W. Seven Mile Road. We moved up to a single smaller home after living in the two-flat on Northlawn and Schoolcraft.

Today, both areas are nicely intact, now with second generation black families there.

Polish and Russian Jews would spell their names with an ending "sky" like Warshovsky, Whitkowsky, Slabosky or Jablonsky.
Gentiles spell their names with "ski" like Padereski or Jezewski. So the mayor is Polish, not Jewish.

In Europe, Jews wandered, mostly couldn't own property, and they took local names, sometimes with weird spellings. They spoke Yiddish and Hebrew, plus the local language.

In jjaba's case, we have a very Yugoslovak sounding name but we came to America from Ukraine. We are Jews, not Ukrainians. We got the English letters in our names from either the ship registers or the US Immigration guards. In jjaba's family, there are six different spellings of our last name. You can imagine the discussions amongst one family when the Registrar has given them different names on the ship.

Last names aeen't very official anyways. jjaba's Hebrew name is Aryea ben Yitzkok, anglicized meaning Arnold son of Irving. But being American, jjaba has a proper first and last name. Looks nice on his Social Security and Driver's license.
Crossing to Canada with a name like Osama ben Laden (Osama son of Laden) would be troblesome for the goyisha guards on either side. We try to fit in, eh.

jjaba, Westsider.

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 69.133.93.33
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to add that the reason the photos on the headstones aren't faded, is because they are made out of porcelain

Klingon

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple more things if anyone has information on or remember ... Any info or remember Sosin's Candy Store on 12th Street and Gladstone? Also, a drycleaner/laundry - I do not know the name on 12th Street and Delaware ...both family places of mine.
Thanks.

Livedog2

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a little unsure of what I just read, Klingon. Are you saying Sosin's Candy Store on 12th Street and Gladstone and also, a drycleaner/laundry were owned by you and/or your family? Need clarification!

Livedog2

Klingon

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were owned by family members ...a great uncle owned the Candy Store ...Nate Sosin ...and my grandfather owned the drycleaner/laundry (Abraham Weinstein)...I wish I could remember the name of that though.
Thanks for asking !

Klingon

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone have information about Arlans, Sosin candy or the dry cleaners I listed?
Thanks

Mikem

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no information on Arlans. I'm showing a:

Nathan & Minnie Sosin
confectioners
12180 Dexter Blvd
residence, 2677 Collingwood Ave

Abraham & Esther Weinstein
laundry
8036 12th Street
residence, 2205 W Euclid Ave, apt 105

The street index listing for 8036 12th Street simply shows the owner & business: Weinstein Abraham, laundry, with no formal business name given. Same with your uncle's candy store.

You thought both stores were on 12th. The closest candy stores to 12th & Gladstone were at 8744 12th, Stan Sameroff confectioner, southeast corner of the intersection, and at 8815 12th, Frank Lieberman confectioner, west side of the street, three doors north of Gladstone.

The closest laundry to 12th & Delaware was at 8002 12th, second door north of Delaware, east side of 12th, Hong Lee laundry. Between it and your grandfather's laundry was a gas station (Noah & Jack's), a bar (the Green Hat), and a house or apartment.

These are from a 1940 directory. Did your relatives own these at the time? Earlier? Later? I'll get some photos next time I'm over there.

Klingon

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mikem - you are good. Nate & Minnie Sosin who owned the candy store were my great uncle and & aunt. Nate was the brother to Esther Weinstein who owned the laundry. Abraham & Esther were my grandparents. I think the candy store was around until 1960 or so. The laundry until my grandfather died in 1955. Any photos or background info you can find would be great.
Thanks so much.

Klingon

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come everyone forgot about this thread? Moving it back up to get info and comments.
Thanks.

Livedog2

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Klingon was Jimmy Hoffa Jewish?

Livedog2 with an inquiring mind that wants to know...

Jjaba

Post Number: 3858
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmie Hoffa was not Jewish. Jews have a proper burial.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, is this a "proper burial?" Smile

nj meadowlands

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, you make jjaba laugh.

Yes, the North goal post is dedicated to James R. Hoffa. It is hard to see in your photo. When the NY Giants bury somebody, they mean it.

jjaba.

Livedog2

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My serious question is just what does it mean to be “God’s chosen people” in the Detroit of June 5, 2006? I have never known what that meant and I still don’t today!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chosen by G-d to sell you cheap watches and good deli sandwiches with extra pickles.

And everybody should choose a Jewish doctor.

For more on this subject contact the Chasidim in northern Oak Park, Michigan. They can tell you.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew I was a Jew by inspiration because my watch is in the shop and my Morris' Jewish Piano quadruple-decker with extra pickle at Lou’s Deli on 6 Mile tasted better today than ever!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3879
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, you are whacky.

jjaba, LOL.

Livedog2

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sidney

Maybe one of our Hebrew Scholars can translate what it says on Sidney Pierce's tombstone for one of his infidel brethren. Namely me, Livedog2!

pierce

Ave Atque Vale!

Livedog2

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 89.0.248.202
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Here is buried the young man Pesah Samuel son of Samuel who passed away on the 17th of Kislev in the year 5702."

The letters at the bottom are the initials of the phrase "may his soul be bound up in the bond of life" (I Samuel 25:29).

Livedog2

Post Number: 355
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Steve!

Livedog2

Klingon

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem ...no more help on my stuff? You are slipping !!! just kidding ...
thanks

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jewish doctors are okay, but two really fine Jewish judges come to mind---the late Larry Gubow on the Federal bench and the late Vic Baum on the WCCC bench.
Susan Borman is still on the bench. Lots of seniority. She drove us all nuts, but ONCE you got your trial started, she gave you latitude to try your case. But she still drove us all nuts. I liked her, good sense of humor. After mediation, 5 pre-trials, 6 settlement conferences, if you weren't entirely worn out, you tried your case.

Livedog2

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this stuff just drop in out of the sky?

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, where you be dude? Your absence is conspicuous!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3887
Posted From: 67.171.136.201
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba back. He was on a short vacation. Nu, he's entitled.

Steve, post #10 was excellent. Thanks for reading the gravestone for us. Typical, Hebrew used on Jewish graves. The use of abbreviations is common as a device to recite a well-known passage or a title. The Hebrew letter "R" might be used to denote rabbi for example.

So Schmuel ben "R" Dovid denotes that the father was a rebbe.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 411
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, Jjaba. We need you on this forum to make sure we sit-up straight and it's not the same without you!

Thanks for the information on the Jewish gravestones. I was wondering and now when I go to visit Sidney Pierce I'll know what I'm looking at. I'll be looking for those "R"'s on the gravestones so I can show off to my graving buddies and buddettes!

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3889
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, the "R" is in Hebrew. Sorry for the confusion. jjaba's comments were regarding the notes made by Steve stating initials are used for a phrase, meaning the first letter in Hebrew of each word.

Livedog2, why do Jews bury standing up?
(To keep the change from falling out of our pockets.)

jjaba, LOL.

Livedog2

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was to get a standing, running start to get to the Pearly Gates first. Then again maybe I've got my religions mixed-up. Between nuns, 72 screaming virgins, statues with 8 arms, Bar Mitzvah's, 1st Holy Communions, guilt and G-d knows what I can't keep it all straight.

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3890
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, the point of religion is to be a believer in one flavour. That will end your confusion, your angst, and guilt. Without a Jewish mother, you've already solved 95% of the guilt problem already.

My mother bought me a nice white shirt and a blue shirt for my eighth birthday. I put on the blue shirt and she yelled at me,
"So, you don't like the white one?"

jjaba, Memories of my Yiddische Mama.

Livedog2

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, can I tell you a funny Jewish story or two? Oh hell, why am I asking!

Many years ago, like 35 or 36 years ago. I was the vice-president of a Chrysler Employees Credit Union that will remain nameless to protect the innocent. At that time there was a problem with bad debts. The dead beats always look for an excuse to not live up to their obligations.

So, among credit unions in the Metro-Detroit Area the delinquency rate hovered somewhere around 6-8% bad debts. Our credit union enjoyed the best record in the city when it came to bad debts. We always hovered around 1.25-1.75% a very respectable rate under any circumstances. The reason for this was our collection manager -- I never met a better collector in my entire career. He was an orthodox Jew. He could have gotten Emma Schuknecht to pay her bad debts but she's on another thread and I digress. Everybody in town tried to hire him away from me but we had a personal as well as a business relationship.

The key to him was that he was all business and very good when it came to business except when his mother called him at work. When she called him he turned into a blundering, blabbering ball of protoplasm. When she called he was useless for days at a time and our bad debt rate would go up. I gave the switchboard operators strict instructions to route her calls to me but I couldn't get them all. This was when I would tell her how important her son was to the smooth operation of our financial institution which was not a big lie but a little one, kind of. She liked to hear how important he was and would always go along with my suggestions to allow him to take care of all the important matters of the credit union and talk to him later.

That was my first inkling that Catholics didn’t have a corner on guilt.

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Livedog2.
jjaba has been a credit union member for decades. They are wonderful institutions. jjaba likes loaning to those locally who need it through such a communal bank. It is sad when debts aren't repaid. Schitt happens. Our credit union parking lot often has used Detroit iron for sale, repos.

A Presbyterian is scolded at the dinner table for raising his voice out of turn. A Jew is scolded for buying at retail.

Money talks, bullschitt walks.

jjaba.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why did God invent Gentiles?

Someone has to pay retail!

Jjaba

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman. jjaba never knew.

Fischel has a fantzy cow from Minsk and for a long time, the cow was a wonderful village milk cow. Then, even a prized bull couldn't get near her and she dried up. Every farmer had an idea, but nothing worked.

So Fishel consulted with the rabbi. And what was his answer,

"My wife's from Minsk."

jjaba, some Yiddische humor.

Livedog2

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jewish

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo or Faygo Pop is a soft drink manufacturer headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. Faygo beverages are popular throughout the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S.. Since Faygo is a lesser-known brand, its products tend to be inexpensive. Nevertheless, many Faygo drinkers consider the brand to be on par with more well-known brands. Faygo is popular with fans of the Detroit-based rap-rock group Insane Clown Posse (ICP), since they often sing about the soft drink in addition to spraying it on audiences during performances.

Feigenson Brothers Bottling Works, the company that later became known as Faygo, was founded in Detroit in 1907 by Russian immigrants Ben and Perry Feigenson. The original flavors of Faygo were based on cake frosting recipes used by the Feigensons in Russia. Throughout the twentieth century, Faygo steadily increased its production line.

Faygo is credited with the spreading of the word "pop" to mean soft drink in the Midwest, as opposed to "soda."
Faygo tends to have flavors that the major bottlers do not make, such as Rock and Rye (which has a creme soda flavor), Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Raspberry Creme and many others. Candy Apple, was one of Faygo's biggest marketing flops. One of Faygo's unique flavors, the product suffered from low sales. Some say it tasted a lot like fellow marketing flop Mario Pop.

Faygo Flavors

• Faygo Cola
o Faygo Diet Cola
• Faygo Cherry Cola
• Faygo Moon Mist
o Faygo Diet Moon Mist
• Faygo Moon Mist Red
• Faygo Moon Mist Blue
• Faygo Red Pop
o Faygo Diet Red Pop
• Faygo Orange
o Faygo Diet Orange
• Faygo Root Beer
o Faygo Diet Root Beer
• Faygo Twist
o Faygo Diet Twist
• Faygo Rock and Rye
• Faygo Grape
o Faygo Diet Grape
• Faygo Creme Soda
• Faygo Ginger Ale
• Faygo Chocolate
o Faygo Diet Chocolate
• Faygo Coconut Cream Pie
• Faygo Key Lime Pie
o Faygo Diet Key Lime Pie
• Faygo Raspberry Creme
o Faygo Diet Raspberry Creme
• Faygo Orange Pineapple
o Faygo Diet Orange Pineapple
• Faygo Sensation
• Faygo Peach
• Faygo Black Cherry
• Faygo Frosh
• Faygo Candy Apple (Faygo's biggest marketing flop)
• Dr. Faygo

faygo pop

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The outfiTr Real Sodas out of Los Angeles stocks a wonderful variety of vintage sodas in original glass bottles. They carry a selection of Faygo pop in old fashioned bottles. The also handle Vernor's in bottles.

So where is Faygo's plant now?

jjaba.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 928
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratiot, fairly close to downtown.

Klingon

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem ...any help in the pictures or background info listed above I was looking for?
Thanks

56packman

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo Rock and Rye and Better made potato chips--true Detroit delicacies.

Livedog2

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, my favorite was an Atlas Rock & Rye Pop and a bag of hot, out of the oven, Gold Chips. Now that's eatin! I guess that shows how my left leg was in Detroit and my right one was in Hamtramck.

Livedog2

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 3033
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Atlas, their building on Conant is being converted into a multi-business building. They chopped the south half off and created new storefronts.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 70.225.119.44
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've a question: in Jewish death notices (Free Press and News), why is the age of the deceased never given? In Jewish death notices in the New York Times, the age of the deceased is routinely given, but I've never seen the age printed in Detroit.

And why do I notice this miniscule quirk? Because, having grown up in Jackson (MI), one learns to read the obits and the death notices carefully. Not much else to do.

Livedog2

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monuments & Memorials; Markers; Site Of Detroit's First Jewish Services which were held in 1850.
Marker is on east Congress just west of the Chrysler freeway.

jewish services

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 487
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo Bottling Plant located @ 3579 Gratiot photo taken in 1942.

faygo

Livedog2

Livedog2

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there Jewish rap music, yet?

Livedog2 just wonderingjewish singers

Jjaba

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, ofcourse. Chasidic Rock has been around for a long time. Jews and music go hand in glove.

jjaba, Westsider.

Livedog2

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, I should have known! But, Jjaba keeps me honest and on the right track.

track

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3986
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chiam Cohen mounted to his cabin
Chiam Cohen with his orders in his hand,

Chaim Cohen mounted to his cabin
And he took his farewell trip to that
PROMISED LAND.

jjaba, with a nod to Casey Jones on the Salt Lake line.

Livedog2

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see lots of posts by Jjaba on Saturday Afternoon! Did Jjaba skip Temple today?

temple

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3991
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, #503. Thanks for worrying about jjaba's spiritual practices.

So tell us friend, is the picture the St. Petersburg, Russia synagogue? It looks like that or maybe Prague. Then again, it might be Lower Eastside of New York.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

56packman

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two live

Livedog2

Post Number: 532
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba is quick on the uptake. You were geograpically close on the first try but I don't remember anything on the Lower Eastside of NY like that but what do I know.

Sometimes I think I know a lot but most of the time I know I don't know schitt! Jjaba's welfare is on my radar screen. I have come to respect you as one of our wise elders on this forum. Thank G-d for that fact, as I see it!

Here's the location of Pilsen Synogogue with interesting background:
http://www.isjm.org/jhr/nos3-4/pilsen.htm
I found the last sentence to be the most compelling and interesting fact. I share the belief with Aristotle that the best form of government for the people is a benevolent dictatorship. Democracy is too messy for me!
ari

Livedog2

Jjaba

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pilsen Synagogue of 1892 in the Czech Republic is one of the great businessmen's synagogues of Eastern and Central Europe. The largest of this type is in Budapest. Imagine such a Jewish House of Worship bldg. with 5,000 seats compared to the Orthodox shtetl schules of the legacy.

These great urban Jewish centers of Europe were making a big statement; we're here, we're successful, and we want you to know it. They competed with the Catholic Church in a Catholic country. Imagine that!

jjaba has visited the great synagogues of Moscow, St. Petersburg, Budapest, Vienna, and Prauge.
Synagogues in the USA, Western Europe, or anywhere else can't compare with them. Thanks for the great reference about Pilsen.

jjaba.

Klingon

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miken ...any help with this?

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:56 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Thanks Mikem - you are good. Nate & Minnie Sosin who owned the candy store were my great uncle and & aunt. Nate was the brother to Esther Weinstein who owned the laundry. Abraham & Esther were my grandparents. I think the candy store was around until 1960 or so. The laundry until my grandfather died in 1955. Any photos or background info you can find would be great.
Thanks so much.

Mikem

Post Number: 2682
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I don't have more to offer. All I have for reference are some old Polk's directories and a few old telephone books, but nothing which would give any more details than those, i.e., addresses & owners.

I haven't been in that neck of the woods to see if the buildings are still standing and I'll be on vacation for a couple of weeks, so it won't be anytime soon. Next time I'm over there, I will search them out and report back.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone describe or explain where most of the "Jews in Detroit" came from? What I mean is did they immigrate directly from the Old Country, did they migrate to Detroit from another city in the US or have they been a long standing Detroit community that just grew? And, if they immigrated or migrated where did they come from?

Livedog2

(Message approved by admin)

Gron
Username: Gron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandparents came straight from Vilna. Lived on Richton. Parents lived on Stout. I was born in Oak Park (OPHS 1973).

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maternal grandfather came from the Ukraine in 1921. Some of his brothers had migrated here a few years earlier (all via Ellis Island) and somehow managed to end up in Detroit. My maternal grandmother was born here, but her parents migrated from Lithuania in 1905. She was born in Toledo, but the family moved to Detroit in the 1930's, I believe it was so great granddad could take a job with the railroad. My grandparents lived on Chicago, Calvert, Richton and Freeland in the 40's and 50's. (probably several other streets as well) They moved to Oak Park in the late 50's and lived the rest of their lives there.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tempel Beth-El was recently put up for sale at $1,500,000.
Tempel Beth-El

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a source for that sale price? It is worth a lot more than that [if measure by quality standards] but I can't imagine who would pay that much for it in its current condition and location.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The property is currently listed by Century 21
If you look real closely at the photo there is a yellow for sale sign in front of the building.
Is it really in bad condition? The exterior appears to be in perfect condition.

Can you imagine the replacement cost for the building? 10 or 15 Million?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, Pilsen Synagogue has nothing Hohe Domkirche St. Peter und Maria lol. It's nice though.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, to the east side...

After having read this thread and not posting, I am curious. It was mentioned that Jewish folks lived on the east side in the first half of the 20th century. I remember my grandfather telling me that he had quite a few Jewish classmates at Eastern High School, but this was in the late 1920’s.

Does anyone have any history on the Hebrew Memorial Park, which is located at 14 Mile Road and Gratiot? There is another located on Little Mack not far from there. Surely they cannot be all that old. Any history?

I do know that there is only one synagogue in Macomb County. It is the Beth Tephilath Moses, which I believe dates to 1908 but not sure. Any info on this?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Michigan historic marker will be dedicated Sunday, April 29 at 3:30 in Tri-Centennial State Park on the riverfront to commemorate Detroit's first Jewish settler in Detroit: Chapman Abraham.

Marker honors city's Jewish pioneer, Union soldiers

"After more than 200 years, Chapman Abraham touched ground along the Detroit River once again on Monday.

This time, the fur trader who was Detroit's first Jewish settler arrived at Tri-Centennial State Park just east of the Renaissance Center in the form of a gold-and-green Michigan Historic Site marker that workers installed on the shoreline.

Come Sunday afternoon, a couple of costumed voyageurs will cruise up to the site in a canoe to illustrate what it might have looked like when Abraham landed in 1762.

"On Sunday, we're celebrating ways that the Jewish community has been active in Detroit," Ellen Cole, president of the Jewish Historical Society of Michigan, said as she prepared for the events that are expected to draw hundreds of people to the riverfront.

On the other side of the marker that honors Chapman Abraham there's a description of the Jewish families who sent men to serve in the Civil War, Cole said.

The 150 Jewish families living in Detroit in the 1860s contributed disproportionately to the Union Army. They sent 181 men, and 38 of them died.

"These families were leaders in the abolition movement and they were active in the Underground Railroad, too," Cole said. "It was the beginning of Jewish participation in civil rights in the U.S." ..."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070424/NEW S05/704240366/1001