Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Endorsements « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1117
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone agrees that name recognition is important to get elected. One way to get your message out is through endorsements.

Being bored, I checked into the 2001 mayor race to see who endorsed the current Mayor.

The following is just a partial list. Just some PACS that I found while looking through old articles.

Fannie Lou Hamer PAC - Kilpatrick
Black Slate - Kilpatrick
Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit and Vicinity - Kilpatrick
Ecumenical Ministers Alliance. – Hill
Church of God In Christ - Hill
13th Congressional District -
14th Congressional District - Hill
15th Congressional District - Hill

UAW - Hill
Teamsters -
AFSCME (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees) - Hill
Metropolitan Detroit AFL-CIO Council
Building Construction Trades Union - Hill
Detroit Federation of Teachers - Hill
DPOA (Detroit Police Officers Association) -
Police Lieutenants and Sergeants Association -
Detroit Fire Fighters Association - Kilpatrick
ATU (Amalgamated Transit Union) - Kilpatrick
SEIU (Service Employees International Union) - Kilpatrick

Detroit Renaissance - Kilpatrick
Detroit Regional Chamber - Kilpatrick
Community Coalition/Ernest Johnson - Kilpatrick

Detroit News - Kilpatrick
Detroit Free Press - Kilpatrick
Michigan Chronicle -
Michigan Front Page -
Michigan Citizen -
Metro Times - Neither

Other Influential Groups/People:

Prince Hall Masons
The Shrine
NAACP
The Urban League
Fraternities
Sororities
Don Barden
Mike Ilitch
Matty Maroun
Governor Jennifer Granholm
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano

Some quotes I found interesting on Kilpatricks website.
“Kwame Kilpatrick is a good friend of labor and we enthusiastically support him for Mayor,” said Willie Hampton, President of Service Employees International Union Local 79.
SEIU

The Rev. Wendell Anthony, founder of the Fannie Lou Hamer Political Action Committee, announced the endorsement at a press conference.
“Kwame Kilpatrick brings the energy required to run the government for the city, the legislative and administrative experience necessary to maintain good government within the city and the coalition building capacity essential to inspire people who live inside the city,” he said.
Fannie Lou Hamer

“Detroit needs a mayor who cares about our system and understands how to get better funding from state and federal sources to improve it,” said Paul Bowens, President of Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 26 AFL-CIO, which represents Detroit’s drivers. “Clearly, Kwame Kilpatrick will be a mayor whose voice is heard in Lansing and in Washington on transportation and on other issues important to Detroit. We enthusiastically endorse his candidacy to be Mayor of our city.”
AFL-CIO

We are endorsing Kwame Kilpatrick for mayor because the leadership skills and energy he has demonstrated in Lansing are exactly what is needed if we are going to get this Fire Department where it should be to protect the residents of Detroit," said King. The status quo is simply not acceptable to Detroit Fire Fighters and it should not be acceptable to the people we are sworn to protect
Detroit Fire

I wonder who will continue to endorse Kilpatrick, and which groups are looking for another candidate???

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1725
Posted From: 68.79.88.96
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil,
I find it very sad endorsements determine the direction of this City. There are so many issues that we in the City have to deal with day-to-day, can we find out what each candidate's plan for at least some of those issue?

Jmil

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, sad but true.

In theory, the PACs/endorsers have pre-screened the candidates, and are offering their blessing, because they are the most qualified for the position.
In reality, the candidate has been pre-screened and has offered the do the PACs/endorsers bidding.

Has the Mayor done enough to retain endorsement?
If he has, with his huge war chest, the early polls will mean nothing.

Did the Mayor bite the hands that fed him?
Then no matter how hard he tries/how much he spends, he should be reserving a moving van for early January.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1912
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe DetroitYes should give an endorsement...

Jmil

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A concensus on DetroitYes!

A meeting of the minds for the greater good of all, on DetroitYES!

DetroitYes!, home of the FSC, can't decide which bar to have a drink.

What candiate would seek that endorsement?

Sounds like fun, why not?

I nominate ABK, all the way!
Any seconds?

Seriously, I'm leaning towards Freman Hendrix.
I really like Sharon McPhail, but just too leery of her self destruct tendency. Real or media driven, it gets in the way.

Jmil

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12 officials endorse Hendrix for mayor.

Twelve current and former elected officials from Detroit endorsed Freman Hendrix on Monday as their choice for the city's mayor.
Offering their political blessings were: state Sens. Irma Clark Coleman, Burton Leland and Martha G. Scott; state Reps. Tupac Hunter, Gabe Leland, Virgil Smith and Mary Waters; Wayne County Commissioner Ilona Varga; Detroit Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel, and former Councilmen John Peoples, Nicholas Hood Sr. amd Clyde Cleveland.
The endorsements come on the heels of former Mayor Dennis Archer offering his nod to Hendrix last week.
"These folks have labored in the vineyards for years to make Detroit a stronger city and provide more opportunity for residents." said Hendrix.

by Kathleen Gray
Detroit Free Press
Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Jmil

Post Number: 1124
Posted From: 68.73.53.202
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon Mcphail endorsements.

Maryann Mahaffey
Joann Watson
Barbara Rose Collins

Jmil

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No running, no hiding.

Its getting late in the game.
Who is going to step up and represent?

All the sniping has been fun, but time is drawing near.

Big ballers, shot callers. Who you for?

(Message edited by jmil on June 12, 2005)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 7495
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This big baller, shot caller (lager bomb baby!) is going with Hendrix. If it were to come down to McPhail or Kwame however, I'll vote Kwame....I won't like it, but I'll do what I gotta do.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3038
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See ya @ the polls!!

Black-atcha ....

Jmil

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Community Coalition - No primary endorsement
Black Slate - Kwame Kilpatrick

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporty - We almost agree on something...between Hendrix and KK I would vote for KK.

Also McPhail has Kim Worthy.

Black Slate hmmmmmmmm.....I know that is where KK came from but don't be so sure about them giving him an endorsement.

Jmil

Post Number: 1164
Posted From: 68.73.202.220
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Free Press - Freman Hendrix
Mayoral Change

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 782
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG what a shock! I thought for sure they would endorse McPhail...I guess I lost my penny bet.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2899
Posted From: 68.73.32.31
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix will surely look like a weakling if he doesn't make the primary and then doesn't come in first or tie for first place.

Would that explain him and his supporters attacking anyone and everyone? Even his favorite radio DJ was openly spreading lies today. But they realized that they can't kill of KK. So team Hendrix have decided being second on August 2nd is good enough. But like I stated, that will make him look pretty bad after all the shit he and his folks have been spreading around town.

Supersport

Post Number: 7841
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hendrix will surely look like a weakling if he doesn't make the primary"

And what will McPhail look like if she doesn't make the primary?

Brian

Post Number: 2901
Posted From: 68.73.32.31
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport, she is supposedly in third place by the polls printed in the freep and Detnews. By their counts and Hendrix' she won't make the primary.

To inform you of how it works, only the top two make it out of the primary.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail will make the primary of that there is no doubt Sporty...get out of your fancy loft and take a tour of the real neighborhoods and talk to people. They never get called for polls....most of those polls are all taken in the more upper crust neighborhoods. Get into the real hoods and people will tell you what they really think about this town and who they are voting for and it ain't Mr Hendrix.

Supersport

Post Number: 7846
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what will you do if she doesn't get past the primary? Will you dig up dirt on Kwame or Hendrix for the big election?

"Sporty...get out of your fancy loft and take a tour of the real neighborhoods and talk to people."

Uh, yeah....I live in a neighborhood. Why would you assume I live in a fancy loft? Last loft I lived in was downtown Mount Pleasant 6 years ago, it wasn't exactly fancy either. I'm sure your "sources" probably told you I lived in a loft though, right?

As for talking to people in the neighborhoods, I have. Most think that woman running for mayor is crazy.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so in Woodbridge, Sporty ..... apparently you've been talking to folk that don't live near you. Go figure ..... or just spreading some propaganda in rememberance of spreading cowschitt down on the farm.

Black-atcha .....

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporty - You are not being truthful sporty...they are not saying that. And like I have said before KK gets my vote over Hendrix...better then evil I know.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1641
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get into the real hoods"

"Ilovedetroit" you've previously claimed to be a "creative class type".

...Still can't keep your stories straight

Supersport

Post Number: 7849
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"or just spreading some propaganda in rememberance of spreading cowschitt down on the farm."

Like you would know anything about spreading cowschitt.

Jmil

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Police Officers - Hendrix
DPOA

Jmil

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Karen Dumas talk show, the council of baptist pastors were going to talk about endorsements. Since I can't stomach that show, I turned it off. Does anyone know who they are endorsing?

I'm assuming the current mayor.

Brian

Post Number: 2911
Posted From: 68.73.32.19
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil, if you wanted to know so bad, you should have listened.

MD, in freman's Detroit will the 'real hoods' be separate and unequal from the 'creative class hoods'?

Since you implied that the two can not coexist.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1646
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, in McPhail's (or a second Kilpatrick) Detroit will "Real Detroiters" live in separate and unequal neighborhoods from the the "wannabes"/"pretenders"/and any other divisive names Detroiters?

Jmil

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, wasn't worth it.
I will find out eventually. No need in punishing myself for that information.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2006
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil-

The AME ministerial alliance has endorsed Hendrix...

Jmil

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, the Methodists have always been a much more reasonable group. LOL

Jmil

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fannie Lou Hamer PAC - Kilpatrick.
FLH

Wow, never saw that one coming.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1183
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News - Freman Hendrix
Teamsters - Freman Hendrix

(Message edited by bindetroit on July 10, 2005)

Jmil

Post Number: 1199
Posted From: 68.73.192.150
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks B.

Fannie Lou Hamer PAC

(Message edited by jmil on July 11, 2005)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 832
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fannie Lou would never endorse a woman. Besides Kilpatrick must have offered Swindall errr I mean Wendall Anthony something big!

Jmil

Post Number: 1200
Posted From: 68.73.192.150
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilptrick Endorsements:
13th Congressional District
14th Congressional District
United States Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick
United States Congressman John Conyers
State Senator Samuel “Buzz” Thomas
State Representative Marsha Cheeks
(Former) State Representative Ken Daniels
State Representative Lemar Lemmons
State Representative Lemar Lemmons Jr.
State Representative William McConico
Wayne County Commission Chairwoman Jewel Ware
Wayne County Commissioner Alisha Bell
Wayne County Commissioner Moe Blackwell
Wayne County Commissioner Keith Williams
Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU)
International Seafarers Union
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 324
Laborers Local 1191
Laborers Local 334
The Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights
PACE
Service Employees International Union Local 79
Service Employees International Union, Michigan State Council
United Food and Commerical Workers 876

and a bunch of pastors.

Kilpatrick endorsements

(Message edited by jmil on July 11, 2005)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4598
Posted From: 68.60.139.41
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United States Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick

I know she's his mother, but I still have a feeling that this involved a kickback...