Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Books About Detroit » Books About Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 209.100.226.6
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone got any good recommendations ? I've read two excellent books about Detroit recently, Polish Detroit And The Kolasinski Affair by Lawrence Orton, which is a real treat if you like Polish-American history, and Out Of The Jungle by Thaddeus Russell. The latter focuses on Jimmy Hoffa's career in the Detroit area, and in reading it the first time I was amazed how many violent labor confrontations their were in the Motor City from the 30's through the 50's.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 68.40.110.98
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in the process of reading The Origins of the Urban Crisis - Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit by Thomas Sugrue. It is a case study in Detroit that probes into what made Detroit what it is today. VERY interesting. The racism and public movements to prevent integration, "protect" neighborhoods, loss of jobs, and lack of housing all combined to create a real mess. The really odd thing is that with this whole AfricanTown proposal, much of it sounds eerily similar to what I'm reading about from the 50's.

Next up is Detroit Divided by Reynolds Farley. This one is again about racial and economic inequality. I believe it will be similar to Origins.

The most interesting I've taken so far is that it really was and still is a viscious cycle. Blacks were discriminated against, and thus were relegated to the worst housing and worst paying jobs. In turn, people who didn't see the racism took that because blacks couldn't hold a job or maintain a proper home that they must be lazy and slobby. Because they are lazy and slobs nobody wants to hire them and nobody wants them to move into their neighborhood because they'll lead the neighborhood into the toilet.

Really really interesting perspective. Even today, I think that is often assumed. Really helps the reader understand that what they see is the result of a situation, not a problem with ability or mental capacity.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 68.43.13.146
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an extensive bibliography from The Institue for Detroit Studies at Marygraove College (.pdf file):
Detroit_Bibliography

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 1115
Posted From: 129.137.186.54
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a new book out about the Ossian Sweet trial called "Arc of Justice". Haven't picked it up yet but it got a good review in the NY Times Book Review.

Myers
Username: Myers

Post Number: 2735
Posted From: 216.152.109.162
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devils Night: And other tales of Detroit.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 287
Posted From: 65.123.68.107
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Masquerade, by Lowell Cauffiel. Not about Detroit, but something that happened in Detroit. It's a fascinating read.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi dos/tg/detail/-/0786004681/102 -3765026-2003360?v=glance

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 1646
Posted From: 198.208.223.35
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Lives by Robert H. Mast. If you have considered helping out in the community (not implying that you don't) and are putting it off until tomorrow this book will get you motivated to go out and volunteer. It also tells the stories of some great people workign in a great city.

Here is the link on amazon but I would hope that you buy it at a Detroit bookstore to support the local businesses.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi dos/tg/detail/-/1566392268/ref =lpr_g_1/102-8961890-4409761?v =glance&s=books

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 2196
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best book I've ever read detailing Detroit's history from the 1890's through the late 20th century is The Reckoning by David Alberstam. The true subject matter is the auto industry, but the book goes into great detail about Detroit politics and history.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi dos/tg/detail/-/0688048382/qid =1096466009/sr=1-38/ref=sr_1_3 8/103-2669247-4652600?v=glance &s=books

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 2011
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dollmaker by Hariette Arnow was partially set in Detroit. However, it could be one of the most ridiculously awful books I have ever read. You know a book is bad when the teacher who assigns it says "OK, we're not going to read chapters 12-15, but here is what happens.

There's a book out there called Detroit Tales by Jim Ray Daniels, it's a collection of short fiction pieces about Detroit. Has anyone else read it? I found it to be rather skewed, like Daniels was dropping street names and cultural events to pretend like he knew what he was talking about.

Myers
Username: Myers

Post Number: 2741
Posted From: 216.152.109.162
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoog turned me on to Y.B.I....good stuff.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 24.36.63.14
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few suggestions:

The Algiers Motel Incident by John Hersey-
An investigation into one of the more brutal events during the riots of '67, namely, the beatings and murders of several innocent young black men. Goes a long way towards understanding Detroit's racial problems at that time.

Devil's Night by Ze'ev Chafets-
A tad sensationalist, but interesting for the fact that Chafets was born in Detroit, then emigrated to Israel. He describes the Detroit he sees upon his return after an absence of 20-some years (late 80's). It ain't pretty.

Report of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders-
This book is a fascinating read, going into minute detail about all the riots of the summer of '67, but with particular focus on Detroit and Newark. Few details are ommited. A must read.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 207.74.195.249
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good book, if you can find it, is KICK OUT THE JAMS:DETROIT'S CASS CORRIDOR 1963-1977.

It is the catalog of the exhibition that took place at the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1980. It oullined the history of the artists and writers in the Cass Corridor during that period. If you see it anywhere buy it because it is a collector's item now.

Lots of descriptions of the artists and their works, with a color section of the art

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 4.229.117.41
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend "Racial Situations" by John Hartigan. The book came out sometime around 2000, but Hartigan did his field work in Detroit in 1992-1994. He concentrates on three predominantly white neighborhoods, the impoverished Briggs (now called North Corktown), the middle-class Corktown, and the working-class Warrendale. Hartigan interviewed both white and black Detroiters in these neighborhoods, focusing on race relations as well as the residents' perceptions of Detroit events such as the riots of 1943 and 1967, the migration of many southerners to the city, the desegregation of Detroit's schools and neighborhoods, gentrification, the Malace Green trial, and the Malcolm X Academy.

I second Lurker's recommendation of "Masquerade." It is a true crime account of a Grosse Pointe psychologist who takes on a second identity and starts hanging around with a Cass Corridor prostitute and her pimp. Two years and $140,000 later, the pimp murders the psychologist and dismembers his body. This happened in the mid-1980s. Although the book is not "about" Detroit, you do get a strong sense of what life was like in the Cass Corridor at that time. (I don't imagine it has changed much, as that particular section of the Corridor look pretty much the same. No $200,000 lofts here.)

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 209.100.226.98
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read "Poletown Community Betrayed" by Jeanie Wylie ?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 446
Posted From: 66.167.59.26
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Working Detroit" by Babson et. al. is Lowell's favorite Detroit book. It is a history of Detoit told through the story of the workers who built this great city, fought for and created great unions who spread the wealth they created. It is loaded with pictures, one a page on the average, so you learn much more with the images. It is one of the inspirations for this site.

Many other good ones listed above.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 2208
Posted From: 68.41.175.25
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff wonders how jjaba got Lowell to refer to himself in the third person.

: )

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 209.10.219.196
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

American Odyssey (can't remember the author). A fantastic history of 20th century Detroit. I think it's written by a prof at WSU.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 205.188.116.196
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am SERIOUSLY doing damage with my One-Click button at Amazon.com, getting these books!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 746
Posted From: 68.79.95.40
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen,
Regarding your post:
"Another good book, if you can find it, is KICK OUT THE JAMS:DETROIT'S CASS CORRIDOR 1963-1977.

I and a couple of others are in the early stages of putting together a film documentary about the Cass Corridor Arts Movement and its influence on the art world.

I would love to take a look at that book. Stop by or call me at Beaubien Street Saloon. I'm there almost every night but Friday.
Or email me steeljames at sbcglobal dot net

Side note:
The first week of November, can't remember the date, John Sinclair is having a reunion of the Artists Workshop with an exhibition at C-Pop Gallery.

We're hoping to get permission from him to film and interview the artists at this event.

Found the link:
http://corridortribe.com/temp/detroit_artists_workshop_reunion.htm

Sorry for the distraction of this thread.

(Message edited by jams on September 30, 2004)

(Message edited by Jams on September 30, 2004)

Babs
Username: Babs

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 170.148.10.46
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Detroit Lives: I will admit that I only got 4 or so chapters into the book before a sudden rainstorm here soaked it where it sat on my pool deck.... but this book seemed really racist to me.

First place I'd ever seen the riots of 67 called anything but riots.... but that didn't even turn me off. The words one chooses to describe something is completely subjective. I actually liked a new perspective. What did totally turn me off was the capitalization scheme used in the book regarding race. The word black was ALWAYS capitalized: Black. The word white was ALWAYS lowercase, except when appearing at the beginning of a sentence: white.

Anyone else notice this or even care? I understand that there are different perspectives for everything and, truthfully, I think examining all of them is the best way to really understand a given subject. But what does this capitalization thing really do for portraying a perspective of Detroit?

It just seemed odd, almost underhanded, and made me not want to rush out and re-buy the book once it was all desert-rain-bloated.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 1666
Posted From: 198.208.223.35
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Babs - The Black/white thing is pretty common. In the context of the book it is understandable.

More improtantly though is that it isn't a book but chapters of lives of people that have done great things in the city, people that have endured.

Look past the nuances such as Black/white and just read the stories of the people's lives and what they did with their charities, families, neighborhoods, etc. You can't blame the people or their stories for the editor.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 69.47.77.195
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard Stuff
By Coleman A. Young

;-)

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 4.229.129.95
Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry,
Yes I have read "Poletown" and I would recommend it for the folks on this forum. I've heard that it's hard to find, but I know that the Royal Oak Public Library has it.

Babs,
For a different perspective on the 1967 riots, try "Racial Situations", which I described in my earlier post. Interestingly, many residents of the Briggs/North Corktown neighborhood did not view those riots as racial, although they did view the 1943 riots as racial. In Briggs/North Corktown, both whites and blacks participated in the riots, which started only a few miles up the road (12th Street runs through this neighborhood). Also, this neighborhood borders the one where Malice Green was murdered by two police officers. Many of the whites who live in the area had had their own run-ins with these same cops and did not doubt that they were guilty.

As for white and black, I don't capitalize either of these terms.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 174
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I and a couple of others are in the early stages of putting together a film documentary about the Cass Corridor Arts Movement and its influence on the art world.I would love to take a look at that book. "

Jams, unfortunately, I lent my copy to a student who was doing assemblage art. She had it in her backpack, which was stolen from her. I checked Amazon, they have it used for $45, which isnt too bad of a price.

You should look into a film made by Kathryn Brackett Luchs, a documentary on the Cass Corridor artists. It aired at the DIA, I believe, a year or so ago

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 747
Posted From: 68.79.91.141
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen,
Thanks for the information.
I'll try to contact Ms. Luchs, possibly this might be a good one for a showing as I'm planning on bringing back my Film Forum project to the bar.

Hopefully, our film planned will not be a duplication of hers since our basis is the impact the original group had on suceeding generations of artists that they taught and influenced.

Leoqueen

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 68.42.158.161
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I am sure there will be no duplication. Her film was created by assembling shots taken over a period of years; she documented the artists working in their studios, talking about their art [ or not talking!], and gave a sense of the flavor of the time. As I interpreted it, the film documented the artists themselves at their time, not how they affected artists to come.

Its great that you want to add to the documentation of this group.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2004 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget proletarian fiction from the 1930s. A lot of those novels rambled all over the country following working people, and plenty of individual scenes within the books were set in Detroit.

Jack Conroy's The Dispossessed has long parts of it set in the city at the bottom of the Great Depression, and Wessel Smitter's book F.O.B. Detroit is set exclusively in Detroit at about the same time. This is about the same time that Upton Sinclair's The Flivver King, also set in Detroit, was published. Also, the final novel in John Dos Passos' USA trilogy, The Big Money has scenes in Detroit in the 1920s with the office buildings going up around Grand Circus Park.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 68.74.30.153
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone read "Warpath: The Six Mile Syndicate" by Jeffry Scott Hansen? Looks like some sort of 'true tales of Brightmoor' story.

Came across the title quite incidentally while googling something else, and unexpected Detroit discoveries are always fun.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone has mentioned these.

Here is a good one, excellent scholarship. Beautiful maps and drawings. The guy went to Paris and Montreal to copy the maps.

http://wsupress.wayne.edu/glb/ detroit/dunniganfm.htm

Another one that shows violence has not been a recent phenomenon. (not that well written)

The Purple Gang : Organized Crime in Detroit 1910-1945 (Gangsters and Rum Runners)
by Paul Kavieff

This one is fantastic:

Before Motown : A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-60 (Music of the Great Lakes)
by Lars Bjorn, Jim Gallert

Caldog
Username: Caldog

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 63.183.233.189
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI...GOOD-BYE,DETROIT by Robert E. Beckwell -the memories and experiances of a boy who comes to Detroit's eastside in 1935. Well the worth the reading for anyone from the eastside who lived through that era.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 205.188.116.196
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard Bak, Turkey Stearnes And The Detroit Stars: The Negro Leagues in Detroit, 1919-1933 (Detroit: WSU Press, 1994)

Excellent book. Bak does a fine job of telling this story, provides numerous statistics about the teams, interviewed surviving 'persons of interest' and includes some great pictures as well. Highly recommended.