Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » What Should the New Detroit Be? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a lot of doom and gloom being tossed around here these days. I would like to start a thread where everyone leaves the negativity behind and creates a New Detroit. A blank canvas.

When Detroit gets a chance to prove herself again, how's that going to be done? What are going to be the new designs? What kind of propulsion and fuel systems are the new designs going to have? How quickly can Detroit retool?

Many people refer to Detroit as the Arsenal of Democracy that saved the Free World. Well, we are in another battle now and Americans want to decrease their dependency upon nations that are not always friendly to us. Many Americans want more efficient and alternatively powered vehicles for National Security reasons. So, America is counting on Detroit. I don't think Detroit should be foreign owned. The manufacturing capability is too important. But, I do think Detroit needs to learn from the rest of the world. I think Detroit has gotten fat and lazy but needs to become lean and aggressive. Detroit needs to understand that America is depending upon you.

So, if the future is a blank sheet of paper and Detroit can start over again, what kind of ideas can make this happen? I learned a while ago that you can make lists and plan and make things happen. There are a lot of bright young minds in Detroit who can change the future. And, I'm sure there are a lot of people who have worked in the industry for a long time and who understand the challenges and are ready to move forward.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3889
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been talking about the "New Detroit" since the 50's. Go look through the archives. This doesn't present us with anything new, and anything we haven't been trying to do for decades.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defeatist attitude ^

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First step is to reduce crime. This would probably require grass roots or even vigilante support for the police. This is going to bring me some real criticism here, but safety is our most basic requirement after food and water.
I remember when neighbors looked out for each other. Today, it seems that most burglaries are committed by neighbor upon neighbor.
When we are safe in our home and can leave it without worry, park our car in the street safely, and let children go to the park without confronting drug peddlers and gang members, we can then begin to build a new city.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peach, there is no good in what is happening, now. I think the thread is a bit insensitive given the unfinished nature of the time, right now. And, it's not as if we haven't been talking about and doing these things for years, now, so the thread is also short-sighted and naive. You're asking a question we discuss on a near daily basis, here. A question, BTW, far too general to discuss in a single post. The whole idea of this site is built around building a better Detroit, so this just seems silly.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Detroit is overrun with predators.

How do you cull this population so that civilization can once again thrive in Detroit?

Peachlaser

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan...I've been suggesting ideas for Detroit for several years on this board. I'm pulling for Detroit and want to see the city, the industry and the region pull out of nosedive.

My perspective is not naive but very realistic. You build what people want to buy and they will buy it.

There has basically been an anti-government trend that has carried Detroit for the past several decades. Detroit and some in the population have risen up against government safety and efficiency mandates and protested loudly. Trucks and SUVs were not covered under these mandates so people expressing their 'freedom' have chosen these in-efficient machines that were very profitable for the manufacturers.

Problem is this anti-government sentiment has caught up with us. If you are for the USA, you will figure out a way to design efficient, fun, stylish and affordable vehicles. You can see where all of this anti-government sentiment has gotten us.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5012
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sounds like Detroit is overrun with predators.

How do you cull this population so that civilization can once again thrive in Detroit?

Send them back down South

(Message edited by lilpup on December 13, 2008)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrote a long post but my computer crashed. Must be a sign to shut up. We all have visions of the Detroit to be. I agree we need to think positive and work positive. Georgia Street gardens is a great role model, just do it.

Maybe I will reprise my vision for the next Detroit soon.

Think positive, work positive and in the mean time watch your back.

lilpup- I agree wholeheartedly "send them back down South"

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be optimistic people....Detroit has been here before......Lumber was this towns deal along time ago....it died...then came the stove industry....the town grew and that industry is gone now...then came the auto industry.....we are now faced with this industry's possible total collapse....I believe we have the ability and desire to either recreate this industry or move this city to the next frontier....

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2913
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "new" Detroit should be "safe Detroit" or "the education capital". This will do more to change the city than trying to diverse the economy. Because how in the fuck can you have a diverse economy if half the city is illiterate or half the city has a criminal record?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the new detroit should be ........populated

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the new detroit should be ........populated

I agree with that idea! :-)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the consensus is that we need to diversify into different industries, and not have all our eggs in the automotive and industrial basket. So... basically, our root foundation is flawed. That is very hard to fix, and takes time.

Once we have new industries, and the work force has taken the initiative to learn the skills for those industries, you will see more people be able to get all the essentials. You will also begin to see improved safety, and other city services.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We must also begin to use a regional approach. Metropolitan Detroit. A good public transit system would be an appropriate second step, after retaking our neighborhoods from the burglars, dope peddlers, and gangs.

(Message edited by Bobl on December 13, 2008)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"propulsion and fuel systems"?

As long as gas prices stay low, the hybrid-mania will slowly fade. The only way we can "decrease our dependency on [oil-producing] nations that are not always friendly to us" is to raise the gas tax.

Somebidder1
Username: Somebidder1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

@Peachlaser and others:

as someone who sat through the *last* renaissance of the city in the 1980's where the same exact ideas were being tossed around, nothing is going to turn that hellhole around until the majority of the people who live IN the city take pride in it.

There is a huge CYA mentality in Detroit, and a lot of crime gets a blind eye turned to it as it is happening.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I don't know what CYA means. Cover your ass maybe? Bad things do happen here. I will stick to my premise that most people are truely outstanding. Maybe, if police protection was better, more citizens would report crime.

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget the modernization of traffic signals to go along

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 767
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay so this thread is messed up. First Peach, youre not getting answers you want because you have said the New Detroit, meaning the automotive industry. But most of the replies have been about Detroit as a city and not as Detroit as an industry.

I would say these conversations have been a life long thing for me, someone born in the 1980's. Alot of us are trying to live our lives and improve the state of our home. If you want to help thats great, but be aware to start a conversation and say that it should be positive and not to get stuck in our down depressed ways when you live in a down and depressed place. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now. But be aware its a hard road. And a simple conversation is not enough.

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: