Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Vintage Kodachrome - Detroit Landmarks, 1955-1977 » Archive through October 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ambassador Bridge Tower, July 6, 1957.
(full size)

Ambassador Bridge Tower

Detroit's skyline, visible through the bridge railing, July 6, 1957.
(full size)

Detroit's skyline

Detroit's skyline and railyards, July 6, 1957.
(full size)

Detroit's skyline and railyards

The old makes way for the new. The new City-County Building as seen from the old Vernor's site at the foot of Woodward, July 1955.
(full size)

The new City-County Building as seen from the old Vernor's site

The new City-County Building as seen from Jefferson Avenue, July 1955.
(full size)

The new City-County Building

The new Ford Auditorium, July 1955.
(full size)

The new Ford Auditorium

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7843
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you get those Kodachrome pictures?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From their owner, who gave me permission to digitize and post them. Is that OK with you?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7845
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Detroit was so beautiful back then. It's like walking through paradise without end.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More to come......

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The view of the rail marshaling yards as seen from the Ambassador Bridge is fantastic, Mikeg. Is that smoke seen rising above Belle Isle (In the large view) coming from the St. Clair River, in Canada?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed those two smoke plumes when I first digitized this image. Looking on a map, they could have been either from freighters in the lower Lake St. Clair ship channel or from grass fires in the southern portions of Walpole Island.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3704
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely smoke from freighters. As a kid I remember it being a constant sight on Lake St Clair. Also, you could never drive along the shoreline without seeing at least one freighter in the lake, anytime of day. Now it seems you can go days without seeing one.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two photos of the newly-built Cobo Hall, both taken from the present-day location of Joe Louis Arena:

The west side of Cobo Hall, Sept. 1960
(full size)

The west side of Cobo Hall

The circular ramp leading to the parking lot on the roof of Cobo Hall, Sept. 1960.
(full size)

The circular ramp leading to the Cobo Hall roof parking lot

This May 30, 1961 aerial photo shows the original configuration of Cobo Hall:

Cobo aerial, May 1961

This shot of the Penobscot, Buhl, Guardian and Veteran's Memorial Buildings was taken from the waterfront, just east of Cobo Arena, Sept. 1960.
(full size)

Penobscot, Buhl, Guardian and Veteran's Memorial Buildings

Mikeg

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penobscot and National Bank of Detroit buildings, June 1968.
(full size)

Penobscot and National Bank of Detroit buildings

Two views looking north down Woodward past the J.L. Hudson Department Store building, June 1968.
(full size)

looking north down Woodward, east side

(full size)

looking north down Woodward, west side

Looking north down Washington Blvd. from Michigan Ave., July 1968.
(full size)

Looking north down Washington Blvd. from Michigan Ave

Two views of the Michigan Ave. side of the Sheraton (Book)-Cadillac Hotel, July 1968.
(full size)

Sheraton (Book)-Cadillac Hotel (landscape)

(full size)

Sheraton (Book)-Cadillac Hotel (portrait)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Mikeg those are so very cool

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, a fantastic job on this series of photographs, Mikeg. One really gets the feel for downtown Detroit at a pivotal time in our history. So much was changing in the city at that time, like the squeaky clean and newly minted Cobo Hall. Do you know what that small building with the ladder leaning on it is?

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are just awesome photos!! It is important for those of us who weren't around back then to get a grasp of how great the city was and the landmarks/streetscapes of the day. Lovin' the classic signals!!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the first shot of Michigan Avenue, you can see the Brass Rail Bar just behind Peoples. Looks as if the large relief of the two drinkers is still on the facade of the Rail Bar at that time. Thanks again.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good of you to notice the small details, Detroit_signal. I am sure many of those signals pictured above survived till recent days before they were replaced. I have not seen any of the prized green models however.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMAZING!!

Thank you M-

I have a new desktop image-

<313>

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10451
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many people on the streets...too bad it will never be that way again.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<313>, image number 3 (from the top down) is my new desk top. Yours?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did they narrow Woodward?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4224
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, there was a period of time when Woodward was not only narrowed, but they tried to mall it off, so that there was no traffic on it. I think that was in the late 80's or so.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be signs saying "Woodward Mall." That narrowing project had been done by the time Hudson's closed. IIRC, buses only were allowed from Grand Circus Park to Gratiot/State.

Like similar well-intentioned schemes across the country, it only further contributed to the decline of the shopping district.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you know what that small building with the ladder leaning on it is?

I believe it was the equivalent of today's construction trailers that general and sub contractors place on job sites. This shed or utility building has a sign on it saying "Harlan Electric Co." and they probably had the contract for all of the electrical work on Cobo Hall and Arena.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say this enough times - 'thank you','thank you', for posting these fabulous photos. I remember, first hand, a lot of what's in these pictures. They bring back the things that made me love Detroit. Hopefully, others here will see that Detroit was a large, vibrant and growing city. It was sooooo exciting to get on the bus and go downtown.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A photo of Gutzon Borglum's bust of Abraham Lincoln, front lawn of the Detroit Institute of Arts, June 23, 1957.
(full size)

Gutzon Borglum's bust of Abraham Lincoln

The McGregor Memorial Conference Center on the Wayne State campus was designed by famed architect Minoru Yamasaki and opened in 1958. These three photos of the building and its details were all taken in October of that year.

(full size)

McGregor Memorial Conference Center reflecting pool

(full size)

McGregor Memorial Conference Center exterior

(full size)

McGregor Memorial Conference Center window detail

Flower Day at Eastern Market, May 22, 1977.

(full size)

Flower Day at Eastern Market, May 22, 1977

(full size)

Flower Day at Eastern Market, May 22, 1977

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, thanks for posting the photos above. Is the Gutzon Borglum's bust of Abraham Lincoln still at the DIA? I don’t recall seeing it, but we arrive by way of Brush.
Minoru Yamasaki is probably best known for the World Trade Center, but also designed the American Concrete Institute, here in Detroit.
I always found that prefab concrete shed at Eastern Market a bit sterile. It seems like an orphan in its stark contrast to the original shed works that make up the greater market.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I can find on the Internet, the Lincoln bust is now located on the grounds of the Ford/UAW (Veteran's Memorial) Building on Jefferson next to Hart Plaza.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those gaudy-ass gold streetlights down the middle of Washington Boulevard.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all that you posted, Mikeg. And, as someone so aptly said, “It was sooooo exciting to get on the bus and go downtown.” I was just a young, early teenager when many of the photos from Oct. 1958 were taken that you posted. I had a Detroit News paper route that had swapped for my Detroit Times paper route and I had money in my pocket that was “burning a whole in it.” Sundays would come and I’d catch the Chene bus right at its start at Davison and Jos. Campau and I never missed anything along the bus route down to Cadillac Square. My foot never hit the pavement in downtown Detroit without the song of joy in my heart. I knew I had arrived and I had arrived in the heart of someplace that was teeming with excitement. I have all those good and great memories of a city that was alive and that I loved – DETROIT! Thank God I have my memories. It’s hard for me to believe that in my lifetime which is nothing more than the opening and closing of a door that this vibrant, exciting city has turned into what it is today. I made my teeny-tinny contribution to the wonder of Detroit. The current generation who are the stewards of the city can take responsibility for what it is, now.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Views of the Detroit Skyline, 1953-1976

July 4, 1953
(full size)

July 4, 1953

Sept. 5, 1956
(full size)

Sept. 5, 1956

July 6, 1957
(full size)

Windsor, July 6, 1957

July 6, 1957
(full size)

Bridge, July 6, 1957

Nov. 1976
(full size)

Nov. 1976

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, how cool is it to see Detroit with new construction in progress?! A city that is building is a city with hope for its future.
I love this series of skyline shots. What is the name of the church in that bridge view taken from Windsor in July of '57? Do you have any history on it?
I know we have many ship experts here at DetroitYes; do any of you care to take a stab at naming the northbound freighter(s)?