Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Joel Thurtell v. Matty Moroun (wrong guy wins) « Previous Next »
Archive through September 24, 2008Urbanoutdoors30 09-24-08  7:52 pm
Archive through September 26, 2008Realitycheck30 09-26-08  7:08 am
Archive through September 30, 2008Realitycheck30 09-30-08  8:38 am
Archive through October 02, 2008Gnome30 10-02-08  7:02 am
Archive through October 06, 2008Alley30 10-06-08  7:45 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome...

Not sure what you are so angry about. Again...tell me WHO you think called us to tell us to back off?

YOU are the one that made the baseless accusation. YOU are the one that decided to make this some sort of personal attack.

I'm sorry we didn't get the segment on the air.

Are you angry I wasn't at the softball game?

Or, are you simply angry that the story YOU wanted didn't make it?

Do you automatically assume people are bought and paid for when they don't follow up on what YOU deem important?

Frankly, I thought we'd have some more time to get to it. My bad.

I'm admitting an error here. What about you?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's stop with all the fussin' and the feudin'. I'd like to propose a Healing March and Prayer Vigil for Craggy and Gnome, at Riverside Park, where we will ask our heavenly father to help us get over this terrible argument between two people we all know and love so much. I have asked Deepak Chopra to facilitate the healing, but even if he doesn't come, I hope the community can come together for five or six hours of prayer, chanting and meditation, and that we can eventually get over this. :-)

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These fences and stuff have been in place for about four or five years. I was detained and arrested for taking pictures in that area back in 2003, and I know of three or four others.

Gee, all of a sudden a retired reporter "finds out" about something that's been going on less than a mile from his office at the Freep for all of that time, SOMETHING (a softball game no less) MUST BE DONE.

Now you're all up in arms and it's Craggy's fault for not following through on it on YOUR time line? Worse yet, you accuse the only ethical and independent news organization in the city (don't see their reporters wearing Obama shirts while covering an Obama rally) of being bought off by Matty? And now the only way he can "prove you wrong" is by covering the story the way you want it covered?

Tyranny comes in all forms, and it's not all that friendly to a free and independent press. It's easier to make friends than give the truth a fair and equal exploration in its own time, not yours.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea Nerd, and if Chopra can't be bothered to find time in his busy schedule, I think we can all agree to call him a putz. Maybe he'll have gotten a call from a "major contributor".

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14396
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy,

Thanks for showing back up here, sorry for the heat.

I think more than a few of us are continually pissed at Money rolling over People, and this is the most tangible and relatively ruthless evidence of such.

It doesn't help that it is a single person instead of a major corporation, but in either case I believe the root is similar if not identical.

Thanks for weathering this e-storm, when pressed more than a few of us turn into bulls in a china shop, at the very least. I think that if we pay attention, we might all pull through this stronger, wiser, and most importantly, TOGETHER.

Seriously, cheers to both you and Gnome. I've met you both, and you are fine people with your own interests at heart.

We're in a transition...but in a space and time that not a one of the uber-genius futurists ever could quite grasp.

One of MY favorites, Alvin Toffler (along with his wife Heidi) have written on these trends for decades...he is the one who coined the term Future Shock, in their same-titled 1969 book.

A decade later, they wrote The Third Wave, which proved pretty conclusively that each of the major ages in our history lasted roughly a magnitude LESS than the previous one...the Agricultural Revolution was somewhere around 3000 years from beginning to end, Industrial ~300, then Technological ~30. He couldn't tell what was next...after the turn of the millenium.

A decade after THAT, the venerable Power Shift...where he could see the Information Revolution, which would ride on the Technological one, giving individuals powers unlike they had EVER before...in all of history.

Each of us now has a taste of Godliness...whether we want to admit it or not...we can perceive many places simultaneously, analyze data gleaned from a w-i-d-e variety of sources, and communicate instantaneously with masses of individuals.

Some cannot handle this power well, indeed we might not be able to...that might be a HUGE portion of what it means to be Merely Human...godlike but within (or under or whatever) a larger, more cohesive and encompassing 'Other' that some of us dare to recognize, a few more even dare to name.

I know that if we can shake off some of our basic traits and habits and look towards the greater good...we will be much better together than if we let these little petty differences tear us apart.

It would've been quite simple for you, Craggy, to turn away, and I thank you sincerely for putting the energy into facing this challenge. That is enough testimony for me to know that you're playing for our team, whether you move at the pace you require...or that Gnomes desire!

(of course, I knew that already!)

Let's get back to the enemy at hand, the REAL Troll Under His Bridge...and focus on justice overall. We will be learning a bit about TRUE Homeland Security through this...I'd like to stay the task, and learn through official sources what the Federal Story is...and right now, the media is our only source, and I know of only one pursuing that tack.

May our ally from my favorite electronic news outlet be able to discover what we need to know...I'm afraid the bigger picture will be QUITE illuminating to us all.

Cheers

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6743
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

leave the bridge story to a professional news organization.

Like the Metro Times.

Oh, there have been some priceless comments here of the last few years, but referring to the MT as a "professional news organization" takes the cake.

I know when I'm looking for real news, I don't generally discover it stuffed between advice columns on anal sex, concert listing and ad's for apartments and trannys.

Great job getting the profile of this story raised Gnome, but making accusations about Craggy's integrity is just plain dumb.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heads up. You may want to listen to WDET's Detroit Today Wed. 10/8.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, there have been some priceless comments here of the last few years, but referring to the MT as a "professional news organization" takes the cake.

I know when I'm looking for real news, I don't generally discover it stuffed between advice columns on anal sex, concert listing and ad's for apartments and trannys.

I need to speak up on behalf of Metro Times. Between the advice columns, concert listings and classified ads, you will find not just "real" news but exceptional investigative reporting. Curt Guyette is truly a Detroit treasure, in a league with M.L. Elrick and Jim Schaeffer. Don't let the fluff in the Metro Times fool you into thinking that there is nothing of substance there.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 345
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a Curt Guyette fan. A fan of the Metro Times all around.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer, I believe you and Deb are friends with John who was at the game and lives in Hubbard Farms, if you see him can you tell him to drop me a line I wanted to ask him something or if you have his email will you send it to me. Thanks
Urban

Homer

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban. We don't know anyone at the game named John, sorry.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/news /story.asp?id=13329

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 750
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might wanna watch that MetroTimes link..Spybot S&D went freakin' NUTS taking out invasive crap when I hit the link.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Joel Thurtell yesterday:

quote:

The padlocks have been cut.

The boat launch at Riverside Park is open.

That’s what Southwest Detroit activist Deb Sumner tells me.

The bolt-cutters were hers.

Five volunteers cut the padlocks Wednesday and declared the boat launch open to boaters.

http://joelontheroad.com/?p=12 36

Homer

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well the locks and chains are back this Friday afternoon. The gates need to be removed this weekend.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could assist in the demolition fence project I am working in galveston the rest of this month.

Gannon

Post Number: 14486
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Urban, now I'm going to have Glenn Campbell running through my brain. Galveston.

Found out last night that someone and his brothers have been collecting 'trophies' of these chains and locks...saw three of them hanging on the wall at his joint last night and almost gut-laughed myself into a shit-fit.

It will be revealed at the proper moment, but for now I'm choosing to keep him anonymous on this thread even though he said he doesn't care.

He says every time he does it, the gang of 40-oz drinkers yield him a salutary toast! I wish I could see that...

Then, I finally met Long_in_the_Tooth at the Old Miami last night...and he was curious that he never saw any boatramp. Is it near where the Mail Tug ports, he wondered? So I wonder, too.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is in riverside park proper off of the end of WGB.

Gannon

Post Number: 14490
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I TOLD him...from what Gnome described and Joel wrote about...weird that he said he is always down there but never saw it.

Perhaps it is smaller than he expected?

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any update? Heading down soon to get a look at whats going on.

Curly98
Username: Curly98

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: Still a whole lot of Security, fences still up, with shinny news locks and chains. Is it me or is this issue dead and not going anywhere, someone fill me in please.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh-oh . . . just peeped this from WDIV and first thought is Dan Stamper'll go all 'see why we have a fence.'

Not amusing, of course. Just regretable.
quote:

Detroit Police dive teams that routinely check the waters off Riverside Park near the Ambassador bridge said they often find weapons. But Wednesday, one team found a missile-like explosive device.

A bomb disposal team arrived and safely destroyed the device. It is not known where it came from.

Copyright 2008 by ClickOnDetroit.com

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder which one of Stamper's boyz planted the darn thing.

Oh, by the way, diet ccke and mentos is the new fulminator mercury.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am800 over here says it was a Rocket Propelled Grenade. Although the blurb they posted also says it was 7 miles south of the bridge so I dunno.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor radio station ^ got part of it right, according to short Windsor Star article today by Dalson Chen:
quote:

Detroit police discovered a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) on the U.S. side of the river on Wednesday.

Officer Leon Rahmaan, a police spokesman, said a dive team found the weapon in the water at the foot of Detroit's West Grand Boulevard around 11 a.m.

The location is a few blocks away from the Ambassador Bridge.

A bomb squad was called to the scene and the grenade was destroyed by exploding it safely.

The device was made to be fired with a shoulder-mounted launcher. Military forces around the world use RPGs as anti-tank weapons.

Rahmaan said Detroit police didn't find a launcher with the explosive.

He said police still investigating where the weapon came from and how it got to its location in the river.
© The Windsor Star 2008

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP!

Just wondering...anything new going on about Riverside Park?

Homer

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Locks and chains have been removed several times. Manny's Gestapo then replaces them soon afterward. I hear there is activity within the City to reclaim but is moving very slowly.
Spring boat launching could then be a reality.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, well . . . look here: We now have an answer to Eriedearie's question 3 weeks ago:
quote:

Just wondering...anything new going on about Riverside Park?

Turns out my original subject line on this thread waaay back on Sept. 24 may not be correct, thankfully. A blog post this afternoon at Joel on the Road shows the wrong guy may not win after all.

It's headlined Bye-bye Matty? because he has some 'splainin to do Thursday afternoon in 36th District Court. Ken Cockrel's team, presumably thanks to the heat Joel kindled, isn't afraid to evict a squatter . . . no matter how prominent.

Blog excerpt:
quote:

The city will have its say tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 4, at 1 p.m. in 36th District Court. So will Matty, or his lawyers.

According to papers filed with the court by city attorney John Nader, Matty had an agreement with the city that allowed him to use parts of the park, but the agreement ran out on Dec. 31, 2003. Later, the city revoked use of the park by Moroun or his International Bridge Co., owner of the neighboring Ambassador Bridge. After 2003, attorney Nader wrote, “defendant (meaning Moroun) refused to vacate the property to date.”

The city could sue Moroun for damage to the park . . . "for wrongful detainer, trespass, value of the use of the premises, costs to restore the park . . ."

Stay tuned. We may have something to cheer . . . not to mention Freedom to Launch next spring and a reclaimed ballfield for a victory game.

Gnome

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel is my hero.

Ya gotta love poking a stick in the devil's eye.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Really want to help grow the capacity for outdoor adult sports in Detroit and think that riverside would be a perfect spot to start growing that capacity. Anyone who is interested in starting any type of recreational activity there or anywhere else please contact me at Josephrashid@gmail.com or join the google group http://groups.google.com/group /detroit-adult-sports-league, I ask anyone who is interested to please join up!

Homer

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burn Matty Burn

Gnome

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Homer, will you and Marge attend the hearing?

Realitycheck

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traction now.

News + Freep run advance coverage of hearing today here and here.

(Message edited by RealityCheck on December 04, 2008)

Homer

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update below.
Cockrel says city may swap land with Matty for keeping park land.

WARNING! Ken, don't get caught up in his evil spell he will eat your soul.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081204/METRO /812040454/1361

Homer

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judge gives Matty 60 days.
Get your outboard tuned up.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081204/UPDAT E/812040473/1361

Gnome

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

homer

good news Homer!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good updates!

Realitycheck

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel's post on the hearing he attended is here.
quote:

Still Matty’s park

Amazing how people, especially legally-trained people, can take a picture that is perfectly simple and turn it into a mind-dizzying maze.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4158
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squatter's rights?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Squatter's rights?

I'm familiar with a similar case of parkland encroachment in Metro Detroit. It was determined that adverse possession does not apply to public property.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God!!!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 901
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was determined that adverse possession does not apply to public property."

I believe there is a fairly recent court case that deals with this issue but it's also Michigan law:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc. aspx?mcl-600-5821

and the court case:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/ data2/michiganstatecases/appea ls/022106/30638.pdf

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just said that because that may be what Matty is thinking! He's had possession of that area for so long now, with KK turning a blind eye for years. He probably feels he's entitled. He apparently feels he's entitled to anything he takes a fancy to, eh?

Hopefully, the new administration will put him in his place, with word from the judge.