Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Eagle Tobacco Wks. « Previous Next »
Archive through September 23, 2008Hornwrecker30 09-23-08  9:14 pm
Archive through September 25, 2008Hornwrecker30 09-25-08  7:11 pm
Archive through September 28, 2008Townonenorth30 09-28-08  10:34 pm
Archive through October 03, 2008Townonenorth30 10-03-08  3:55 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way the Hemmeter Cigar company was supposedly at 2702 Witherell. I cannot find that address in the maps at all.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's in the (now) David Whitney building, formerly known as the Eaton Tower, GCP and Woodward. Don't think that they had over 400 cigar rollers in that place.

Quite a few names and addresses to fill in the blanks, thanks.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the bio of Mr. John Hemmeter, which if you search on Google or Yahoo as Hemmeter and Cigars, will hint as that his factories were also in Saginaw and Bay City, perhaps the only place they were?

HEMMETER, John P., cigar manufacturer;
born, Saginaw, Mich., Aug. 13, 1862; son of John M. and Mary (Leidlein) Hemmeter; educated in German parochial schools of Saginaw; married at Syracuse, N. Y., June 11, 1889, Caroline H. Latterner; 3 children: Herbert S., Winifred I., Clara K. Lived on farm near Saginaw until 1883; followed different lines of business until Jan. 15, 1893, when he established himself in manufacture of cigars at Saginaw, removing the business to Detroit, 1897, where he has since continued as president of The Hemmeter Cigar Co. Also president Hemmeter, Eettich & Co., of Germantown,O., tobacco packers; director and member executive committee National Grocer Co., Detroit.
Independent in politics. Lutheran. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Member Masonic order, B. P. O. E. Clubs: Detroit Athletic, Detroit Golf, Detroit Automobile.Recreations: automobiling, traveling. Office: Hemmeter Bldg., East Grand River Ave. and
Center St. Residence: 32 E. Hancock Ave

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You found a clue that the office back then was in the Hemmeter Bldg on E Grand River, which might have been the cigar factory or just another office building. In google books, there's a state labor statistics and factory inspection book from 1916(?), which lists Hemmeter having 424 employees in a Detroit, Wayne County factory.

Lots of times in the Polk, the address listed is in a Downtown commercial building instead where the factory was located.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 03, 2008)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hemmeter Bldg, 242 E Grand River and Center St in Harmonie Park, seven stories; no idea if cigars were made here or if it was just an office building.

Hemmeter Building

Townonenorth

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the 1928 Polk directory, the Hemmeter Bldg. above is classified as a "public building", lumping it in with the myriad office buildings of the time.

Where did you see the 400 employee figure you've mentioned? The Michigan Labor report in Google only mentions 36 workers in Detroit, in a tobacco stripping operation. Saginaw plant has 86 total workers.

Thing I found odd is that he had 35 of the 36 employees in his place in Detroit under the age of 15.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends what year you check, and when the inspection was done. I think that number was from 1915, but I've seen the numbers vary by a few hundred in the same year for different inspections. I'll go back and check on it, I might have read the wrong line or typed it in wrong.

I finally found the Lilies Cigar factory, from a lead in The Detroiters. It was half a block long, on Ferry and Hastings; merged into the Consolidated Cigar Co, which is still in existence under another name. I'll get to that next, after I post the Bagley maps.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got around to reading the handout from Joe Muer's restaurant. He must have either rented the front out, or bought the whole thing later.

If this is the same spot (I don't have the address of the restaurant) this is a nice picture of the rear of the building, showing what is probably where the cigar factory was.
http://www.angelfire.com/de2/d etroitpix/JoeMuers2.html

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cigar Token from Central Cigar Co, Detroit.

ct

ct2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John J Bagley

John J Bagley came to Detroit in 1847 and worked in Issac Miller's tobacco shop, which he bought out in 1853. He changed the name sometime later to the Mayflower Tobacco Co, which was located at 48-50 Bates at the corner of E. Woodbridge. The company later changed its name to the John J Bagley & Co Tobacco located at 1599 E. Warren & Dequindre in 1910, which was run by his sons after his death in 1881. 450 employees in the 1915 labor stats.

Bagley ad 1861

1861 ad

Mayflower Tobacco 1884

Bagley Tobacco sign

John J Bagley Tobacco 1921

There's quite a bit more info about John J Bagley's political career on the net.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 05, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s the other side of that “Cigar Cutter & Draw Hole Maker” with some interesting inscriptions, “1901 Cut Out The Whiskey” and “Ax Of All Nations”. Looks to me like this might be an advertisement from Carrie Nation of the temperance Movement with a definite message. I guess it was OK to smoke as long as you didn’t drink whiskey.

hatc

Here’s a photo of Carrie Nation which looks like the inscription on the “Cigar Cutter & Draw Hole Maker” right down to her glasses and the device looks like the hatchet in her hand.

carrie

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Art Stove Co building is still standing on the NE corner of Russell (75 service drive) and Milwaukee; it has a round, cut off tower-like corner to it. What a way to advertise: tobacco OK, booze not.

This may, or may not be what remained of the Mayflower/Bagley building from a 1930s DetNews aerial photo. Looking at the roofline and Sanborn maps, it looks like there was a four story addition to the north side of the building, or not. Ex-Globe Tobacco in the lower right corner.

Mayflower/Bagley Tobacco aerial ?

wsu/vmc

Mortalman

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, I think that is certainly an interesting way for Art Stove Co to advertise: "tobacco OK, booze not." Somehow or other I don't think it's an accident that it has a Carrie Nation and temperance connection to the advertising give away. If that's what it was? I wonder if Carrie Nation and the temperance movement were connected to the Art Stove Co? Just thinking out loud!

Mortalman

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bingo, here's the connection:

The Art Stove Company of Detroit, which manufactured Laurel Stoves and Ranges, gave away as an advertising scheme pins in the shape of Nation's hatchet with the message to consumers, “Buy Laurel Stoves and Ranges.”

If you want to read the rest of it go to:

http://books.google.com/books? id=niIAHkP89JgC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA 64&dq=art+stove+company+carrie +nation&source=web&ots=z-Pz7z4 ksb&sig=xGN1B6eiegrS_sO0088W5e GXg94&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_resul t&resnum=7&ct=result

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman,
I've uploaded a selection of Detroit City Directories in PDF format that can be downloaded from here. These are part of a collection provided by fellow forumer FrankG.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lilies Cigar Co, 714 Forest & Hastings, 1872-1919, 649 employees in 1916. Merged into the Consolidated Cigar Corp. in 1919, which is still in existence under the name of Altadis. http://www.altadisusa.com/company.asp The map shows that the factory is vacant by 1921.

Lilies Cigar Co 1921

David Lilienfeld came to Kalamazoo in 1860 and took a job as a clerk in the M. Israel Dry Goods store. Within a few years, he and his brother, William, opened a retail cigar store. The business did well and they expanded their product line to include tobacco and wholesale wines. They built a store on East Main Street in the main commercial district. William left the firm and moved to Chicago, but David, who like the Desenbergs became a Mason, went into manufacturing. The Lilies Cigar Company was one of many cigar makers in Kalamazoo in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In response to a 1908 cigar workers strike, most local manufacturers closed their shops and moved to more anti-union environments. The Lilies Cigar Company moved to Detroit.

Michigan Jewish History: http://www.michjewishhistory.org/pdfs/vol44.pdf

The Dime Bank cigar label posted earlier was made by Consolidated Cigar.

(I should have reread the Early Polish thread, since I mentioned this factory being located one block north of St. Josaphat, would have saved me some time trying to find the address. Oy)

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 06, 2008)

Mortalman

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, I can't thank you enough for the access to those directories. Thank you.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to look at the DetEd aerials to see if any sign of the Lilies factory remained in 1949. I was surprised to see that not only was it still standing, it was expanded. No idea what it became, yet (probably something I already researched and forgot about, again).

Lilies Cigar building 1949

wsu/culma

Mikeg

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn-of-the-Century Detroit German Cigar Manufacturers:
A.A. Huperz:

Huperz

Gustav and Wm. Moebs:

Moebs

J.H. Molitor:

Molitor

Anthony Muer:

Muer

Mikeg

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Footnote.com is a subscription-based repository of millions of high-res scanned historical documents. Their collection can be searched for free and a good portion of their collection can also be viewed for free.

Their collection also includes the Detroit City Directories for the years 1861 through 1907, less 1871-3, 1884-5 and 1904. These are fully searchable for free and will return the year(s) and page number(s) of the Directories where the search term was found. However, you must have a subscription in order to view the high-res images of the actual Directory pages.

To simplify searching through the Directories you may have downloaded from my site, simply use the Footnote search box at the bottom of this page to find what you you are looking for. Note the Directory year and actual page number and if it is a Directory you have, you can type the actual page number in the bottom of the PDF document window to get you very close to that page and then use the arrows to get you the rest of the way.

Below is a comparison of the image quality of the same advertisement on page 624 of the 1895 Directory. The top image is from Footnote and the bottom image is from FrankG's PDF Directory.

Footnote

PDF

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From looking at this Muer geneolgy page:http://allendorf.kinfolks.info /other/muer.htm, it appears that Anthony Muer was the eldest of three brothers who were all cigar makers. Joe Muer was his son.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scroll to the bottom of that page and you will see that Frank Joseph Muer married my 4th cousin, twice removed.

Interesting to note that several of the Muers in Detroit married women whose ancestors came from the same region of Germany as did the Muers.

Mortalman

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surfing around on the web for anything on Snuff Companies in Detroit when I ran across something interesting. As a budding young teenager in the late 1950’s I use to take the Chene Bus at its point of origin at Jos. Campau and Davison to its terminus in Cadillac Square. By the time I got to downtown I had to go to the bathroom so I dashed into that below ground stinky, filthy Men’s Bathroom that was infested with all kinds of bums, perverts, panderers, winos and homeless people that made all kinds of noises and smells and then I dashed out, hopefully without being accosted.

Back in those days there was some kind of romance, macho, grown up, cool, sophisticated, worldly aura surrounding smoking. So, after getting out of that terrible place where my mother told me to “never sit down” and make sure I did “that” at home before I left I headed for one of my favorite haunts in Downtown Detroit called La Fond on Woodward just south of Cadillac Square on the east side of the street up near Gus’ Coney Island.

Of course I wanted to look cool very badly, I had never traveled to any distant place other than Hamtramck, I had never heard any foreign languages other than Polish and Italian around the house and very badly wanted to experience travel to “far away places with strange sounding names”. Since I’d never experienced any of those dreamy places and thoughts La Fond was the next best thing.

So, off I went to this great tobacco store where all I had to do was be able to pay for what I wanted and I could get anything I wanted called La Fond. Even the name was romantic to me! So, I bought cigarettes from France, Russia and England. I especially liked cigarettes from those countries because they were the most exotic to my young sensibilities. The Russian cigarettes were longer than American cigarettes but 4/5th of them were a hollow filter. The English cigarettes were oval in what they called a “Navy Cut”. And, of course French cigarettes which needs no explanation.

Anyway, I hadn’t thought of La Fond in 50 years until I was doing this search. I ran across this entry in a book titled, “THE BOOK OF DETROITERS” with an entry on page 294 about La Fond that discusses The La Fond Cigar Co., 127 Woodward Ave.

Page 294

THE BOOK OF DETROITERS

son Medical College, Philadelphia, degree of
M.D., Mar. 13, 1871; honorary degree from
French government, Officier d'Academic de
France, May, 1906; married at Detroit, Mar.
28, 1881, Ida Bour; 2 children: Alfred D.,
Adele (Mrs. P. J. Brown). In practice in
Detroit since May 11, 1871; professor anatomy,
orthopedic and clinical surgery, Detroit
College of Medicine. Member American Medical
Association, Wayne County Medical Society.
Democrat. Eoman Catholic. Member
Knights of Columbus. Recreation: horseback
riding. Office and Residence: 362 Jefferson
Ave.
LA FOND, Charles Francois, wholesale and
retail tobacco and cigars; born, Maidstone,
Ont., Can., Oct. 1, 1879; son of Francois
Xavier and Catherine (O'Keefe) La Fond;
educated Windsor public schools; Collegiate
Institute; L'Assomption College, Sandwich;
married, Apr. 18, 1906, Helen Valerie Donovan,
of Philadelphia; 3 children: Virginia
E., Charles D., Walter K. Began as a retail
clerk in the Chamber of Commerce Cigar
Store, Detroit, in 1899; bought out the business,
with brother, M. A. La Fond, 1901; firm
now owns and operates: The Majestic Cigar
Store, 133 Woodward Ave.; "Ye London
Pipe Shop," Springfield Bldg.; Bowles Building
Cigar Store, 20 Grand River Ave.; The
Chamber of Commerce Cigar Store; The
Hammond Building Cigar Store, 13 Ford St.;
The La Fond Cigar Co., 127 Woodward Ave.
Active member M. A. La Fond & Co.; The
La Fond Cigar Co., and secretary and treasurer
of San Etta Cigar Manufacturing Co.
Republican. Roman Catholic. Member Detroit
Board
of Commerce, Y. M. C. A., Knights of Columbus, Elks. Clubs: Detroit Athletic,
Fellowcraft, Wolverine Automobile. Recreations,
automobiling, golf. General Office:
Springfield Bldg. Residence: 90 Alger Ave.

http://books.google.com/books? id=N9iE594yCzYC&pg=PA294&lpg=P A294&dq=Cigar+Stores+Company+o f+Detroit&source=web&ots=_SuLK -n5P-&sig=Fera71GhX3Burtwn3sdC h7dsLlM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_res ult&resnum=10&ct=result#PPA294 ,M1

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anthony Muer's shop was on the corner of Jay St, where Gratiot and Riopelle used to cross, opposite of Eastern Mkt. This was rerouted when the freeway entrance was made. The store was on the south side of Jay, about a block west of St Joseph. Nothing of note on the Sanborn map, typical narrow corner store; shows up on the 1884 map.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne Cigar, 1913-19, 2682 E. Forest between Chene and Grandy, became the General Cigar Company in 1919. 330 employees in 1920.

Wayne/General Cigar Co 1921

Mortalman

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Central Cigar Co. on Woodward and Elizabeth Circa 1915.

cen

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went looking for John Bagley's original storefront in the 1884 Sanborn, 24 Woodward, and found an unmarked cigar factory behind it. No idea if this was owned by him or not. Since the ad that mentioned this address was from 1861, this might have been the place of Issac Miller, from whom he bought the business. Somebody better at working through the old city directories, than I, might find out if this were the case, and what that factory on 14-18 Atwater was.

I have no idea what was located in this place in 1884, or if this building was a replacement or not.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagley 1861 Detroit City Directory:

Bagley 1861 listing

Bagley 1861 adv

Bagley 1884 Detroit City Directory:

Bagley 1861 listing

Other listings in 1884 Detroit City Directory:

Dermedy 1884 listing

Matthews 1884 listing

Klei 1884 listing

Townonenorth

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1928 Directory (Don't have the link to the other ones, lost it somewhere) there is at the corner of Atwater and Bates with a Bates street address, the Anthony Shulte cigars.

This is obviously after the renumbering process, since the address of the Schulte Cigars is 113 Bates.

(Message edited by townonenorth on October 10, 2008)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked up that corner of Atwater and Bates in the 1921 volume of Sanborn, and that cigar factory was an empty lot by then.

I've been looking for information on the Brown Bros Cigar Co that was said to be located Downtown. All I could find were a couple of old newspaper ad cigar labels at: http://www.nationalcigarmuseum.com/Themes/Newspapers.html

Brown Bros Cigar

Brown Bros/American Cigar

The building in the first ad is the correct one, no idea what the second ad is supposed to be.

The address is 113-23 State St., still standing and being converted.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on October 12, 2008)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brown Brothers 1921

I'm assuming that this firm went bust after the American Tobacco anit-trust breakup, so no idea who occupied it in 1921. A 1930s map of the CBD labels this building as the Whitbeck(?) Bldg, with a few jewelry stores and a grill on the ground floor.

Robert H. Brown - About the year 1885 Mr. Brown removed to Detroit, where he passed the remainder of his life and where he became one of the most prominent
and influential factors in the field of fire insurance, in connection with which his services were much in requisition as an adjuster. Soon after he established his home in Detroit. Mr. Brown became associated with his brother John H., who had previously located here, in the organization
of the Brown Brothers Tobacco Company, in which concern he was not an active executive, as his brother, a practical man of business, assumed the supervision of the enterprise. The company erected a
large factory building on Monroe avenue and built up a large and substantial business, the products of the establishment finding a wide sale throughout various sections of the Union. Mr. Brown continued to be one of the interested principals in this important industrial enterprise until the same was sold to the American Tobacco Company, about the year 1900.

History of Detroit: : A Chronicle of Its Progress, Its Industries, Its Institutions, and the People of the Fair City of the Straits, Paul Leake, 1912, googlebooks

The building was discussed in this thread: https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/foroum/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic=91697&page=90135

Brown Bros Cigar ad 1894

1894 poster

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brown Bros Cigar bldg

wsu/vmc

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That poster is too awesome for words.

Mortalman

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You took the words right out of my mouth, Sharmaal!

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bernard Schwartz Cigar Co, 1895-1939, 2180 E. Milwaukee & Dubois, bought by Deisel-Wemmer-Gilbert
in 1939, became DWG Corp, eventually became Triarc which is still in existence. Schwartz is known for the R. G. Dun brand of cigars, that was later made at other cigar factories around the country.

Bernard Schwartz was born in Poland in 1872. At the age of 14, he emigrated to Canada and began work making cigars. Four years later, he moved again, to Detroit. In 1895, Schwartz opened his own cigar manufacturing firm, which was immediately a success, ultimately employing over 200 people. Bernard Schwartz lived at 1448 Longfellow.

http://www.historicbostonedison.org/history/people_bus.shtml#schwartz

The building on Milwaukee wasn't built until 1925, so it doesn't appear in the 1921 Sanborn maps. It was designed by Albert Kahn, and stood until 1981 when it was demoed for the Poletown Plant. I can only find info up until the 1960s that this building operated as a cigar factory.

Bernard Schwartz Cigar bldg

Bernard Schwartz Cigar bldg

LOC: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey

There's quite a bit of info about a strike in 1937 in google books, as well as more info on Bernard Schwartz.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two cut and pastes from the 1928 Polk Directory relevant to this topic.

Cigar box manufacturers:

And Cigar Manufacturers:

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webster Cigar Co, 5545 Grandy between E Ferry and Palmer.

Webster Cigar 1921

Webster Cigar tin

There was a ghost sign photo in an earlier thread of a Webster Cigar sign painted on a wall, somewhere on W. Warren, I think. No idea where that other location on Goldner is, yet.

Mikeg

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a circa 1905 b&w photo of the building housing "D. Seagan, cigar manufacturer at #103 Atwater looking toward Beaubien".

[from the U of M Library's on-line collection of Early Detroit Images from the Burton Historical Collection].

Mikeg

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a c. 1910 b&w photo of the building on Cadillac Square housing "John C. Sullivan & Son - Manufacturers of Fine Cigars".
[from the U of M Library's on-line collection of Early Detroit Images from the Burton Historical Collection].

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stephan Cigar Co, 5247 Grandy & Frederick, later the Essex Cigar Co.

Stephan - Essex Cigar Co

I found a mention in a pdf file on Jewish inductees in the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, that Jacob Mazer had something to do with Essex. You never know where you'll find something.

Mortalman

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It might be hard to read the inscription below the attached photo. So, I have quoted and printed it here so everyone can see and read it.

quote:

The above picture was included in the Polonian History Book of 1907. Shown is Ignacy Wolff owner of White Eagle Tobacco Factory. The picture acted as a tribute to Mr. Wolff who died shortly before the publishing of the book.

wecf