Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Bowling Alleys « Previous Next »
Archive through September 18, 2008Davemarc30 09-18-08  6:32 pm
Archive through September 19, 2008Whithorn1144630 09-19-08  12:10 pm
Archive through September 21, 2008Elimarr30 09-21-08  1:57 pm
Archive through September 29, 2008Catman_dude30 09-29-08  6:02 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bowldetroit
Username: Bowldetroit

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zitro. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A100driver
Username: A100driver

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster here. Wow is this a great site! I've been a list lurker for a while. The knowledge that I've seen on this site about the city is amazing to say the least! Anyway, I've been reading this post about the bowling alleys, and I thought that there was a bowling alley over the Flagg Brothers shoe store on Gratiot and Seven Mile. I was only six when it burned down. But, I remember the building, as my grandparents lived about six houses away on Fordham between Chalmers and Gratiot. I THINK I remember my dad talking about being a pinsetter there. So WAS there a bowling alley over Flagg Brothers?
On another bowling note, I vaguely remember my other grandparents (Linnhurst between Celestine and McCrarry) bowling at Fantasy lanes. I remember being sad when it burned down also.
Thanks for letting me join!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7793
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit,

Whay there isn't any new bowling alleys being built in the Metro-Detroit area in 40 years?

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD: You're welcome

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whay there isn't any new bowling alleys being built in the Metro-Detroit area in 40 years?

Apparently you haven't noticed how much thinner the GDBA Yearbook has been getting over the years.

The number of sanctioned league bowlers has been in steady decline over the last 25 years. Each year, there are 3 to 4% fewer sanctioned league bowlers in the Detroit area. Why would anyone invest big $$$ to enter a declining market?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman Dude asks:

How old can wooden bowling lanes get before they are un-bowlable? After so much annual sanding-down and re-coatings, they are bound to be sanded thin and unusable.

The old lanes I have seen and worked around are in the neighborhood of 2+" thick, so I think you can sand them several times will no ill effect.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Thanks for answering my post, 56packman. If a bowling center sands their lanes annually, then they'd be sanding more than several times. These older bowling alleys still around with wooden lanes would have had sanded their lanes more than 40 times. I guess the lanes do not really get thin but I'm wondering if there comes a point where those lanes do not meet the USBC standards for official league play. Before Westland Bowl removed their wooden lanes, I would see my bowling ball do skips and wobbling between two unlevel boards.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youngprofesionaldetroiter you said:

quote:

...but to date I haven't seen a bowling alley (or league) as nice as that in the Abbey of the Detroit Athletic Club. 3 leagues per day, 5 days per week, all to capacity, people driving all the way in from Lansing and beyond.

Where are your pictures of these alleys?

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone interested in starting a league?

Zitro

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have to be a traveling league, I live in Iowa

Danny

Post Number: 7795
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since wooden lanes are going to long gone by 2020. New synthetic lanes with black line approaches will be the norm. Folks who own those new synthetic lanes don't have to refurbish it every year saving the bowling alleys over thousands of dollars a year.

What is going with those old crappy wooden lanes at the Garden Bowl? After I check it out I never going to put my bowling ball in those lanes until the fix it.

Danny

Post Number: 7796
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the best ways for bowling league attendance to increase is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY! I bowling at a $12,000 grand prize mixed league. With over $600.00 in each cash prizes.

There is VERY POPULAR 9:30am. Saturday Youth League at Bananza Lanes 30 lanes, 4 teams each. That includes VERY POPULAR 9:00am Sunday Morning Travel Youth League. Enter you children there.

The African American Leagues are EXTREMELY POPULAR all over each bowling alleys near Detroit border with average of $ 2,000 or more in cash! You can find them at Thunderbowl Lanes, Cloverlanes, Bronco Lanes, Royal Lanes, Hazel Park Bowl, Plum Hollow Lanes, Wayne Bowl and Town and Country Lanes, Rennaisance Lanes and Eastpointe Bowl.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have some openings at Wayne Bowl. Wouldn't have to necessarily be a league, but all the posters on here could get together every week or 2 and bowl and talk nostalgia. I'm sure I could work out a deal with my owner to give us a break on price and maybe get some pizza etc every week. If anyone is interested,, e-mail me at waynebowl@comcast.net and maybe list the day/night you would like to bowl and I will make a list. Maybe we all can work something out.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit,

Sounds good to me!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might if i didn,t work afternoons. I mainly bowl at Wayne Bowl when i go bowling.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I emailed 'All Experts' and asked the Pro how long wooden lanes would last with maintenance sanding and refinishing and here is his answer
"If done well, the sanding process allows wooden lanes to last decades. The sanding will eventually hit the cross synched nails which attach board to board."

Danny

Post Number: 7798
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby08,

There also openings at the $12,000 grand prize Thursday Night Mixed at Pampa's Lanes on Van Dyke Rd south of 14 Mile in Warren MI. It's every Thursday Night at 5:20pm. The League needs 12 people, men and women. If you're interested contact League Director Jack or head to Pampa's Lanes and get a application.

Plus there are teams needed at Airport Mixed at Taylor Lanes Located at Eureka Rd west of Telegraph Rd. in Taylor, MI. It's Every Other Saturday Night at 5:30pm. If you're interested call Mr. Chip at 1(734) 782-2100.

Danny

Post Number: 7799
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole,

Who needs wooden lanes. It's costs more to refurbish and wastes a lot of trees. With synthetic lanes. You don't have to refurbish them every year and its good for the enviroment.

In fact Bowl One Lanes in Troy, MI. is getting rid of the old wooden lanes and installing Qubica/AMF styled synthetic lanes and black line approaches.

Jcole

Post Number: 3971
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Danny, it was Catman Dude that asked the question, not you.
"How old can wooden bowling lanes get before they are un-bowlable? After so much annual sanding-down and re-coatings, they are bound to be sanded thin and unusable"

Jcole

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catman, here's the answer I got from All experts re: lane sanding
"Danny, I emailed 'All Experts' and asked the Pro how long wooden lanes would last with maintenance sanding and refinishing and here is his answer
"If done well, the sanding process allows wooden lanes to last decades. The sanding will eventually hit the cross synched nails which attach board to board."

Catman_dude

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jcole! I appreciate it. This was a curiosity since I was a kid. I have at one time considered owning a bowling center as on occasion one would be up for sale in northern Michigan.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Lanes in Westland still has wood I believe

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shorecrest on the east side closed this season

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up bowling here, although not this far back lol I started bowling there about 1965 at age 8

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/amba ssadorlanes.jpg

Catman_dude

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Westland. I never heard of Oak Lanes there. Where was/is this located in Westland?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is on Middlebelt just north of Ann Arbor Trail. I think there is a Ram's Horn next to it. Owned by Rick Capaldi. His relatives own Westland Bowl. I think it was built back in the late 70's...still wood lanes today

Catman_dude

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, ok. Westland Bowl is still my favorite bowling center even though I live in Virginia. I moved from Westland in 1979 so I guess that is why I haven't heard of the place.

Reddog289

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Lanes is where the Son in Law bowled like 5 strikes in a row, then a spare then 2 more strikes. normally he bowls like a 100 game, and don,t really like to bowl. I guess it,s the wood lanes. I too grew up round GC/Westland never made it up that way to bowl when i grew up. Westland Bowl, Town & Country , and the Silver Bar were my places. I never bowled at Wayne Bowl till I moved across Glenwood.Funny how things work out.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Satellite Bowl on Michigan....anyone have any photos from there?

Wlrks
Username: Wlrks

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New to the site Anybody have photos from Klee's Ramona or Denby lanes

Westsideffd
Username: Westsideffd

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the name of the bowling alley on schoolcraft just west of evergreen ?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowlcraft Lanes...owned by Mike Totsky later became another name

Zitro

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw this: Bowler dies after first 300 game. I seem to remember another Detroit area bowler this happened to about 10 years ago. I want to say his name was Bittner does anyone else remember his name?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,445666,00.html

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found a Detroit Times 1949-1950 All Star Bowlerettes program from Wurm's Recreation on Gratiot. I forgot I had it. I will try and scan some of the pages with the bowling center ads in it. Great nostalgia

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/pg1. jpg

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/pg2. jpg

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/pg3. jpg

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/pg4. jpg

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/pg5. jpg

will do some more tomorrow if you guys want to see more

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone that may have missed my earlier post, here is some of the stuff in my basement shrine:

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/base menttwo.jpg

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/base mentten.jpg

http://www.wayne-bowl.com/base mentone.jpg

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard through the grapevine that Van Dyke Bowl and Shelby Lanes have been sold

Danny

Post Number: 7894
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit

Shore Crest Lanes shut down for good. It wont re-open until the cookie owner pay his bills and get new synthetic lanes.

Danny

Post Number: 7896
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit

Why is Community Bowling Centers is giving up Van Dyke Bowl and Shelby Lanes? Have they brought new bowling alleys in the midwest or those did those two bowling alleys not make any profits?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure. I heard some ex-employees of Turbo Grips were some of the investors

(Message edited by bowldetroit on November 06, 2008)

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the centers I work for hosts the Hamtramck Singles Classic. It used to be at Playdium Lanes in Hamtramck but is now at Hazel Park Bowl. $25,000.00 guaranteed 1st place. Anyway, we have the old awning that used to be outside the Playdium. Here is the link:

http://www.hazelpark-bowl.com/ awning1.jpg

Reddog289

Post Number: 687
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit, I,m surprised that awning ain,t in your basement.

Danny

Post Number: 7903
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bowldetroit,

I've contacted the owner of Van Dyke Bowl and found out that the bowling alley has not been sold to Turbo Grips.

Zitro

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found an article online about the bowler I had mentioned earlier whom I thought had passed away after his first 300.

http://community.seattletimes. nwsource.com/archive/?date=199 21216&slug=1530331

Slick
Username: Slick

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a sad day when the Playdium ownership changed hands. I bowled there and secretary of a league for 20 years.
Shut down the lanes and moved the tournament. Almost killed the tournament, it used to be $50K first and 25K for second place.
But I resigned myself to less bowling and less fun.
Money is not the answer to restoring bowling. It encourages sandbagging and the average (175) bowler gets shut out of winning money.
Enough said

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a handicap tournament and had 8,000 participants last year over 6.5 months. Not too shabby in these economic times and not everyone was averaging 230 who cashed!!!! Plus, you don't have to win the tournament to make a profit!

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne Bowl, Parkway Lanes, Harbor Lanes and Hazel Park Bowl have great deals for New Years. 39.00 PER LANE (up to 5 bowlers per lane) 1.5 hrs of cosmic bowling, shoe rental, 1 large pizza per lane and one pitcher of pop or beer per lane. 3 different session times. If you have 5 people on a lane, that is only 8.00 per person for New Years! Not too bad. The last session bowlers also get party favors.

Reddog289

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have to tell the family about that deal, maybe by New Years everyone round here will have calmed down.My bowling bag in the living room almost set off a fight.

Danny

Post Number: 8013
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

39.00 PER LANE 1.5 hrs of cosmic bowling. That's not a deal. It's highway robbery! I can go Thuderbowl Lanes at Allen Park and pay $6.00 for 3 hrs of either cosmic bowling or regular bowling.

Jcole

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you get the pizza and beer thrown in at Thunderbowl?

Danny

Post Number: 8017
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bowled for a couple of years on the Budd League in the '70s at Micelli's. Geez, I can't even remember where it was! Fraser?

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't got to Thunderbowl for 6.00 on New Years Eve!!!!!!!!!! Besides, the security guard you will have to hire to guard your car will cost more than 39.00 lol

Zitro

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Micelli's was on Garfield in Fraser.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I mentioned in an earlier post that Danny said wasn't true, Van Dyke Bowl and Shelby Lanes are no longer owned by Mark Voight. I heard that the paperwork was signed today. If you go to their website, those 2 centers are no longer on it.

Bowldetroit

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: