Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Precinct Police Stations... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if there are photos around here of all the Detroit Precinct Police Stations. If I'm not mistaken the Detroit Precinct Police Stations were/are numbered with the odd numbers on the east side and the even numbers the west side.

This photo is of the old Eighth or 8th Precinct Police Station. The elaborate Chateauesque style by Louis Kamper features conical towers that act as bookends framing the triple-arch entrance. This is a very nice structure for a Detroit Precinct Police Station built at a time when style was as important as function.

8th precinct

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No photos but you are correct, east side precints were odd numbered and west side precincts were even numbered. By the 60's, the 8th Pct. was gone and the building became the headquarters of the Youth Bureau. The 3rd Pct. was absorbed in the 7th Pct.. The 3rd Pct. was on Hunt St. west of Chene where Hunt St. angled into Gratiot. The former 7th Pct. was on Canfield just east of Chene St. The 9th Pct. was on Bethune at John R.. If you try 17thPrecinct.com you may get to a site where there are some historical photos.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 754
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 5th was on St. Jean and Jefferson

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3477
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15th was Conner and Gratiot, across from City Airport.
No. 1 is Headquarters, downtown.
My father was at the 3rd, 7th, 15th, 1st, City/County Bldg and 5th over his 35 years on the force.
I'll see if we have any pics and try to post some if I find any.

(Message edited by jcole on August 30, 2008)

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old #8 was #16

Jcole

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a picture of the Canfield Station courtesy of Ray1936

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a cool building...

we only ever had one police anything in Port Huron...

i was in the main headquarters gymnasium in 1985. there was a bomb threat called into the MEPS station when i was getting ready to leave for the Air Force...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first police headquarters was on Atwater street, probably down around where the RenCen is now. The second was on Randolph, and was torn down to make way for the Water Board building across from the Old County Building. The third and present is at 1300 Beaubien, built in 1921. At the dedication, Commissioner George Rutledge placed a pair of handcuffs, a revolver, and a "letter to future generations" in a sealed copper box which was placed inside the cornerstone. Headquarters also housed the First Precinct station. It had an address of its own around the corner of 500 Clinton.

The Second Precinct was originally at Trumbull and Michigan, across the street from the old ballyard. In 1947 it was temporarily moved to a warehouse on National (now Cochrane) Street while the new building at 2801 W. Vernor was being built.

The Third precinct was at Hunt and Gratiot, and was abandoned in 1954, the geography of the precinct being absorbed by the 7th precinct.

The Fourth precinct was at W. Fort and Green.

The Fifth precinct was originally on McClellan, and moved to Jefferson and St. Jean about 1963.

The Sixth precinct was at McGraw and Braden, across from Chadsey High School.

The Seventh precinct was on Canfield as indicated by Jcole above, and moved to the new station at Mack and Gratiot also about 1963.

The Eight precinct was the castle-like building at Grand River and 12th (what is 12th now? Rosa Parks?), and as noted earlier, ceased operation as a precinct station in 1954 and occupied by the Youth Bureau. The precinct's geography was taken over by the Second precinct.

The Ninth precinct was at Bethune and John R., and also housed the Mounted Bureau. The Ninth closed in 1954 with it's territory assumed by the 13th precinct.

The Tenth precinct was on Petoskey and Joy road until 1965, when the new station at Livernois near Fullerton.

The Eleventh Precinct was on E. Davison until replaced by a new building on Nevada Street about 1986.

The Twelfth Precinct was on W. Seven Mile Road west of Woodward.

The Thirteenth Precinct was originally also on Canfield and Woodward until replaced by the building on Woodward in 1947.

The Fourteenth Precinct was at 13365 Schaefer from 1927 to 1978, and was replaced when the city purchased the old Monaghan K of C Hall and remodelled the building. It was on Leisure and Grand River, right behind the old station.

The Fifteenth Precinct was originally at Gratiot and Connor until replaced about 1973 by a remodelled auto dealership on Gratiot north of Connor.

The Sixteenth precinct at Grand River and W. McNichols opened on November 1, 1955, taking half of the geographical area of the Fourteenth Precinct.

In 1985, a major re-numbering of the precincts took place. As there was no longer a 3rd, 8th, and 9th precincts, the sixteen numbers were cut down to a sequential one through thirteen. And recently, of course, the entire precinct system has gone by the wayside, replaced by a district system. I've been retired from the department for 24 years and out of Michigan, so any comment I would have about the new system and the DPD today would not be valid.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Precinct boundaries in 1980. Sorry I had to shrink it so badly to meet this sites requirements, but it will give you the idea.

Mortalman

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Police Station in Detroit at Fort and Green Sts. dated February 1, 1929.

Fort and Green

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pix of the Hunt Street Station on Gratiot?

Update on the condition of the building?

Jcole

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a google street view of the current Hunt St. Station.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, that is awesome! I am so lame on the Google earth thing, how do I go to the Google street view?

So, the building is for sale? The sign says U.S. Federal, but what? Any help is appreciated. It looks like the building has been occupied, or is occupied.

Jcole

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

type in 2200 Hunt St Detroit, mi in the google search. You should get a google map entry at the top of the list. Click on that. When the street map opens, look to the right side of the map screen. Click on Satellite and then on Street view. Google map will turn to the satellite view instead of a standard street map. You should see a little man, click on him and you'll get a pop up picture. Use the arrows to rotate the pic.
I think there were Federal Process Servers in that building, and the sign says Office space available.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jcole.

In the late 1980's I would pass that building every day to and from work downtown. Always fascinated me as it was apparently deserted and decaying to some extent.

One summer evening a raggedy-looking man and woman were sitting on the concrete steps with one of the doors open. I stopped my car and asked them if they were staying there. Yes, they had been occupying the place for how long I don't know. They took me all around inside the place. They shared their vodka and tomato juice with me (one small drink). The place was a bit of a mess, and I had been sure that it would continue to decay and finally disappear.

Glad dto see it is still functioning.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks
You get that street view figured out ( and if you are on High speed Internet) and you'll be on there for hours, You can go down the streets with your arrow buttons and look left and right just as if you were walking, you can also stop to look at things and zoom in on them. Next best thing to being there!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 12th Precinct (Palmer Park Station) in 1937, from a photo provided by the late Pat O'Leary, a dear friend.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4993
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 7th, two weeks ago....

7th Police Prencinct station, detroit

Jcole

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building isn't in use, is it? If it is, they need to clean it up. If not, clean it up anyway. I'm assuming it still belongs to the city. Can we ticket the police chief?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha, Ragtop! My husband already thinks I would rather be in Michigan with all my reading and posting here! I can't wait to take a stroll around the streets.

I hope I can google walk down Harding Street. My mom lived there and I bet it is a mess now. It wasn't exactly a street of showplace homes in the 40's.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11841
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like when I drove by the Fort/Green St station a few weeks ago they had a new tennant. I'll have to take a cruise by when I find some time to double check.

Mortalman

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the Canfield Station but what I don't know is where it was located or what its address is. Can anyone help with these particulars?

canfield

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mortalman, that's actually at hancock and woodward, two blocks north of canfield. it has been closed and will be demoed as the "central" precinct, formerly the 13th, was moved to the state owned building at grand bvld and woodward. its also identical to the old 2nd precinct on vernor at 20th (also closed)

Stinger4me

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was the 13th Precinct. The location was the west side of Woodward Avenue between Hancock and Forest.

Mortalman

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd numbered Police Station Precincts are on the east side of Woodward. So, given that it is the 13th Precinct which I don't know it can't be west of Woodward.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 13th precinct is/was at 4747 Woodward and yes, it is actually on the west side of the street but it was always an eastside precinct. It was right down the street from Vernor's and around the corner from Verne's Bierstube (sp)

Mortalman

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, does that mean that the 13th Precinct is also known as the Canfield Station?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the Woodward station replaced the Canfield station, assuming it's geographical territory. That took place in 1947.

The second precinct station on Vernor is actually the mirror image of the Thirteenth. Blueprints were just flipped.

Mortalman

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 is the old Canfield Station building still there or did they tear it down? I don't remember seeing it lately.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3587
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno, Mortalman. Haven't been in that neck of the woods in decades now. I think it was demolished years back, though.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the old 13th Precinct building has been gone for many years, maybe more than thirty.

Mortalman

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Police Davison Avenue Station also known as the 11th Precinct located on the southeast corner of Davison and Conant was designed by Joseph Gwizdowski in the Classic Revival Tradition. I can't seem to located a photo of this Police Station. Does anyone have a photo of the 11th Precinct Building?

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, Did you know an officer named George Coleman ( my dad )? He was stationed at many different precincts, as well as HQ, Accident Prevention Bureau, etc. He's gone now, but I was just curious.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936; Any idea is Judge Robert Ziolkowski is related to a former Inspector " the Big Z" Ziolkowski?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbreed, yes, I knew your dad. I didn't know he had passed away. Far too young. Condolences; he was a fine person. I knew him mainly from his days at the APB when I worked at Motor Traffic.

Stinger, I read in one of the Detroit papers on line that Judge Robert Ziolkowski is indeed the son of Big Z. But that's my only source for being affirmative.

Mortalman

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're asking, Ray1936, did you happen to know Edward Smyk from the old 11th Precinct on Davison and Conant?

Stinger4me

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936; Do you know what time frame the "Big Z" worked? I think he worked on the east side. The boys may have attended De La Salle High School.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, thank you so much for the kind words, they brought tears to my eyes. My dad was indeed a fine person. He was proud of his profession, his city, his family. He had the most wonderful sense of humor, and never said an unkind word about anyone. He has been gone for 5 years now, and I miss him every day.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3596
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, being a west sider, I didn't get to know most of the guys who spent their careers on the east side. That holds true for Edward Smyk, sorry to say. That imaginary line down Woodward sure kept a lot of Detroiters from knowing a lot of other Detroiters, didn't (and doesn't) it?

Stinger, I think Big Z probably served from 1945 to about 1970something.

Detroitbred, glad to remember him. I'll bet he'd be quite upset at the state of the city today, as am I.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I am sure my father is rolling is his grave. This would have made him heartsick certainly.