Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Does anyone know of architect, Albert J. Lothian « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chefbrandon
Username: Chefbrandon

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lothian was a Scottish architect that worked out of Windsor (major works include Assumption College in Windsor and many residences both in WIndsor & Detroit), he passed in 1952, but wondering if any architectural buffs have any more history on him besides what little is available on the net. He worked during the same time as Albert Kahn.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Chefbrandon, I think we may have had email contact off-line a few years ago... I have nailed down a few houses in Windsor that were his. But most of his residential work in Windsor was done in the former town of Riverside, which has next to no records available.

A few years back I was in communication with his daughter Jeanne, and she told me that he did a fair amount of work in the Pointes, but I have never been able to track down any information on his US works.

Here's a brief overview (which if you are who I think you are, you commented on):

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=21

and a couple more...

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=40

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=231

http://www.internationalmetrop olis.com/?p=290

He was far and away one of Windsor's most important architects, I would love to find out more about him.

Also, if you've never been, or haven't been in a long time, the former St. Clare's (now St. Peter's Maronite Church) will be open for tours, along with 22 other Windsor Buildings, on Sunday, September 28th, as part of the Doors Open Architectural event in Windsor.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we did chat...Jean was my Grandmother, but she passed away about a year ago, and she was the last living child to Albert. I do have a lot of personal info she and my Grandfather gave me about his work in the Bahamas as well as Mexico, and when I was living in Mexico, I did visit his grave in Mexico City as well as his home in Cuernavaca.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5499
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1935 I believe he opened an office at Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas. There is a record of him owning a yacht, which was registered in the Bahamas. He designed the Church of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Hamilton, New York. I guess he did a number of religious structures on the East Coast. I know he served on the Ontario Public Library Board in the late 20’s as well.

Patrick

Post Number: 5500
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pretty sure he designed several homes in Indian VIllage as well as Boston-Edison.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey Patrick...love the info...where are you getting it all from...i have been trying to put this puzzle together for years!

Patrick

Post Number: 5501
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try a search with various terms using Google Books, or if you have time hit the Burton Collection.

Chefbrandon

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was living in Mexico years ago..I was able to visit his home there and talk with the son of his original gardener...the hacienda has seen better days..the current owners didn't seem to care much about upkeep.

The best or maybe worst part is that the grounds are filled with stone Mayan objects, even a rather large sundial...When I spoke to a friend of mine there...he sais that it was very common for the poor that lived outside the cities to sell any historical item they could find for money to survive...at the time I guess no harm done...but now..these pieces belong in a museum...the owner even offered me a small stone carving to take with me...i don't think I wanted to spend my life in a Mexican prison!

Aiw

Post Number: 6712
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon,

I would love to see any copies of any information you have on him. He as I said was one of Windsor's greatest architects, and I've been trying to piece together what I could. Any photos or info you have I would be interested in seeing. Do you have photos of his grave or the house in Mexico? Or anything in the Bahamas?

I have a few newspaper articles on him from the Windsor Star you might be interested in. I have his obituary and a big article on when he sailed back into Windsor in the mid 1930's.

If you're interested in seeing them send me an email - andrew@internationalmetropolis .com

There's a photo of him and some reference to his work in the Bahamas in a book called "Upon These Rocks" a history of Catholicism in the Bahamas, which I bought a copy of.

I also found a digital copy of his WWI enlistment papers from the Canadian Archives if you're interested as well.

I would be very interested in seeing what you have, and what we could swap info maybe.

Patrick - He served on the Public Library Board in Windsor, maybe that's what you found reference to. The was a drawing of the redesign of the Windsor Carnegie Library he did that was never built I have a copy of somewhere.

There's now a opportunity to make digital copies of the Microfilm from the Windsor Star files, so there is a lot of info. I need to go back and get again.

Aiw

Post Number: 6713
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick - That Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, is located in Hamilton's, Long Island, Bahamas.

Patrick

Post Number: 5502
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha. Seems like he had quite a career throughout North America. It's interesting to see the connections between Canada and the Upper Midwest.

Phish13
Username: Phish13

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a home done by him in South Windsor. We have some drawings marked with a 1926 or 1929 date I cannot remember right now. We are thinking of selling it, any advice or interest?

Aiw

Post Number: 6739
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phish - can you send me an email? andrew@internationalmetropolis .com - I would love to see the drawings or at least get your address to add it to the list of his works.