Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Anyone near southfield and joy? (brace street) « Previous Next »
Archive through August 14, 2008N7hn30 08-14-08  8:37 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent most of my childhood on Archdale, between Joy and Fitzpatrick. My grandma's neighbors were the best even if the rest of the neighborhood was sketchy. After she died, her home foreclosed. I'm afraid it of what has happened to it now.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6102
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N7hn, I'm curious. I assume the second floor in that house is finished. Can you describe what the rooms look like within those steep roof peaks? Are the ceilings peaked too? Is there any attic space?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey jimaz.... the space at the very front where the pitch is the highest is attic space, about 35X15, and about 10X10 of attic space in the rear. the two second floor bedrooms and bath are flat ceilings and the foyer has a slight slant. The front attic space woulda made great studio space...... but no windows.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone talking about Warrendale? This isn't Warrendale. Southfield & Joy is completely different from Southfield & Warren.

Southfield & Warren is a community in transition, with good points and bad. Southfield & Joy is straight-up ghetto.

Also not sure why there was a mention of Arabs and Latinos. There are no Arabs or Latinos living on Joy Road. It's overwhelmingly African American, with maybe a few (mostly elderly) whites.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyways... Friday's for a Detroit News paper-kid were always fun, very laid back, and first customers on my "side" route were the folks and a neighbor or two, so that they could get the head's up on the Entertainment section. Other than that, Friday was COLLECTION DAY.

So. I am going to step back into my delivery shoes and apply my collecting skills. A full account should be ready by tomorrow afternoon, that is, if the deal doesn't go South on me. But it wont. '-)

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is everyone talking about Warrendale? This isn't Warrendale. Southfield & Joy is completely different from Southfield & Warren."

I only mentioned it because they are close to each other.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to sound like Mr.Negative , but , what's so great about Warrendale these days ? I see a bunch of foreclosed , stripped houses on every block . I don't think many of those are comming back to life anytime soon . At least not in this market .

N7hn

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont think anyone has been overly positive or enthusiastic in their evaluation of the area...... or did i miss it. I guess "i havent been killed yet" and "hookers readily available" are positive testimonials..... LOL

Babybloomer
Username: Babybloomer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something funny going on with that sales price and others on the far west side- noticed a similar out of range sales price of 140,000 from a sale 2 years ago on a tiny asbestos bungalow on evergreen north of plymouth some time back. makes no sense.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was principally talking about the area bounded roughly by Paul and Warren and Southfield and Evergreen, which is basically considered Warrendale. Drive north of Warren and it gets progressively worse. I can't believe I used to drive a cab in this area and have few concerns about ferrying the drunks and old lady shoppers in and out of Herman Gardens. There was crime, but you didn't have to worry about crackheads then.

Babybloomer
Username: Babybloomer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most west-siders would extend the warredale boundary all the way to rouge park from warren to joy.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm probably just thinking about the chunk I was most familiar with while living there. It's the same thing with parishes---you're never really sure what the boundaries are or even what the "correct" name of the neighborhood is. It's something I never spent more than five seconds thinking about. In fact, I really don't recall the area being called Warrendale until sometime in the '80s. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Ggores

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Down on the street where the faces shine.

Floatin' around on a real O mind.

I see a pretty thing, aint no wall.

I see a pretty thing, aint no wall."

Iggy and the Stooges, 1970.

I never heard "warrendale" either until just a couple years ago, but there is a sign on Hines Drive which points to Warrendale. There is also a sign, South of the Jeffries, that has a curved arrow and says "To Lasher". Strange world out there.

I think you're going to like the photos I snapped. I googled my feet and beat them feet over to this house. Unfortunately, I had to borrow Bossman's digital camera, and I do not have the USB cable, so I will post the pics tomorrow, with no words, no writing, no remarks, it'll just be the pics.

But tonight, I'll write about the excursion, so bare with me here.

This particular neighborhood reminds me so much of Brightmoor during the mid-eighties, it's almost saddening to know where it's headed.

I had some difficulty finding Van Buren because several of the street signs on Southfield Road are loooong gone. I figured out the address numbering and regained confidence that I'd get to the location.

I had a spiel to lay on the residents of this house. I would go up, knock on the door, and introduce myself. "Hello, I am Gg, and I am a writer." Then I'd hand them my business card. Then I would hand them my Michigan State I.D. card (not my driver's license), with the Schoolcraft address, and say, "I'm not selling anything, and I'm not a thief. There is a website on the internet which people from all across the country go to every day, and it just so happens that your home has been a point of interest lately." At this point I would hand them this thread, which I printed out, and point to specific comments. If nothing else, I would have some credibility, even if it was a thug house.

Just being able to say that I am product of Brightmoor has more than once gotten me out of a tricky situation. I could've been knocking on the door of a crack dealer for all I knew. I was hoping that the person who answered the door would be affected by my compliment.

My fingers were kinda shaking as I drove down the streets, navigating my way though the hood. My blood begins to warm, my senses become alert, and I know that I am taking an uncalculated risk. But I always carry two or three little tricks in my bag, and if worse comes to worse, I simply say, "Hey man, I'm from Brightmoor."

Anyways, the event went smoothly with no incidence's of note. At an intersection, myself and another crossing car stopped and we kinda stared at each other. I did not like this. Then I grinned my 10 dollar smile and double-fingered them to go on by. Coming upon another intersection, a white Jeep Cherokee had stopped and backed up into the middle at an oblique angle. I did not like this either. And, of course, there was a bunch of little black kids playin hoops right out in the middle of one of the East-West streets. I usually don't like this either! Ha ha! But they did not confront me, or say anything, no, they actually politely stood out the way while I passed (heh, quite unlike them Brightmoor kids). And lo and behold, I found they house.

It truly is an interesting structure and I really was looking forward to possibly even getting to go inside. And tomorrow, you will see the inside.

Noone was home. Nobody living there. Somebody is fixing it up, and I cannot end a sentence with a preposition. :-) I'd say that the value of this house to be, MAYBE, 120K.

So stay tuned and we'll all see Brace Street. Oh, heh heh, this house is next to an alley that still exists. You'll see that also.

N7hn

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAH????????/ oh, Im glad nothing happened to you, and now i feel bad knowing you were so worried during the trek. Ive been speaking your praises for even offering to go. My understanding ws it is vacant and for sale. Did I hear u right, u have pics INSIDE????? If so Im probably gonna wet myself. Its nice to hear someone is workign on it, and kinda sad as my window of opportunity may have closed. It was on the market for a long time after forclosure for $36,900......
Im not gonna be able to sleep tonite now. I really loved that house. It broke my heart when I lost it to forclosure when I came to cali and tenant after tenant didnt pay rent. I cant think of a person i love more than that house.
Again its really great u went. I owe u and this just accentuates the difference between cali people and mich people..... cali people wont stop to scrape u off their tire if they happened to run you down.

N7hn

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here it is about 1990 livingroom }

Richard_bak

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you used to manage the hot-air balloon festival in Battle Creek?

N7hn

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dining room

N7hn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard, no just full of hot air...lol
foyer looking up

N7hn

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when it was green...

Jimaz

Post Number: 6111
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores is writing like Tponetom, complete with the suspense. This is great.

This could develop into a new kind of treasure hunt game. Find the expat's Detroit house!

N7hn

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know. I swear I hears "jaws" soundtrack

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a trip. The inside of your old house kind of reminds me of my friend Uncle Pat's house on Field Street. I think it's the cross, pictures, and woodwork around the bathroom. Pat maintained his house beautifully, the woodwork inside is to die for. Too bad someone stole his porch lions a while ago, but it's lovely to see!

Jimaz

Post Number: 6112
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, in case it helps, the free program at http://www.irfanview.com/ helps for resizing photos to the 550x550 pixel, 50 kilobyte limit.

Ggores

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks^^ for the advice.

My home is very similar to this one. It was bought in 1967 (after my folks were FORCED to move from Freeland Street because of I-96 construction)... they paid 19,000 dollars, and in 1989 sold it for.... 19,000 dollars.

One sweet day I walked to that house and visited the owner in my garage, and I pointed up to the attic/bedroom, and I said, "this is my house".

It should've been, and I missed an opportunity as well.

So the guy takes me inside and I tell him and his wife about how my Dad did all the finish work. Even pointed out where I punched holes in the basement walls. We laughed.

Man say, "Ya know, I always wondered who did the finish work on these stairs and pannelings. They're indestructible and so beautiful."

I say to the man, "Yep, I watched my Dad do it."

I checked underneath the trap-door in the basement bar for a stash of several bottles of Red Roses whiskey which were left-over from my bro's wedding reception. I opened the trap-door, and the hallow was empty. We laughed again!

He broke out an electronic keyboard and jammed. His wife became unsuspicious of me and joined us in the basement. I said my thanks and then exited.

Oy. And NOW my pops tells me that, up in the far corners of the upstairs attic/bedroom, are a pile of Apache Indian tribal photographs which he found on the side of the freeway one day driving home from work in Lansing.

He says that they are probably worth a lot of money.

Seeing as I'm broke right now, hell, maybe I will
make another cold-call on the owners of my house.

Ggores

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, I'm really looking forward to this little adventure. The suspense is killing...

Ggores

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Alley, we are on our way to see Pat on Field this afternoon. The house is still gorgeous inside. Unfortunately his lawn mower and other equipment got stolen recently so the back yard is a mess. We tried to help by bringing our mower. Unfortunately, we hit a hidden dog bone and screwed up our mower. Pat is doing well. I remember the porch lions. Pat got kinda mad at us when we gave porch Foo Dogs to a friend of his on VanDyke (West Village)If I had known he wanted them, we would have given them to Pat.

N7hn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whew.......all things considered it looks great. Im sad to see the original paint covered over and looks like some parts are missing, like the leaded glass door in the entryway but Id expected as much. Im happy the woodwork wasnt painted over. The floors look redone too. seeing that pic from the front door it really made me wanna walk right in. The for sale listing is still up. My home here is going on the market soon so maybe I can make it back in time. Im really homesick now. thanks Ggores....... I cant tell you how much that means to me and how much i appreciate it. = )

Ggores

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay, don't wanna get bombastic, there are 7 more pics coming in now.

Ggores

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I hope everyone got a little bang out of my exploration. Don't go getting too homesick there, Nh. But yeah, it's kinda hard not to.

Apologies for throwing in a cheesy "from the vehicle" shot, but hey, it's DQ!

Funny, the graffitti on that wall I thought said Ggores, and my eyes went bug for a second. Heh.

Time for me to make like a banana and split, blow this taco stand, beat feet and pound some pavement.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores, is that DQ in Detroit city limits?

I remember hearing the DQ locations in the city don't sell burgers. :-(

N7hn

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that DQ is in city limits ..... its on joy and Stahelin. One of the bodies I referred to was found behind that one. Hey Ggores.... get any wierd vibe from the house?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see the DQ is still there in 2008, that was my favorite cause i could walk there when i was a kid.That house is alot nicer then mine, would love to have a house like that. But after driving around there last year i don,t think i wanna relive my childhood.I to was surprised to hear that area called Warrendale, But i guess i could be North Warrendale.

Ggores

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only vibe I got was to get in and get the heck back out, and hopefully not to draw unwanted attention in an unfamiliar place.

The yellow sign on the DQ says "brazier", and I think that means they sell burgers, fries, and coney's also.

Jsavic1108
Username: Jsavic1108

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey GGores, WTF, Blackstone Arms????? We'll be in touch.

Jsavic1108
Username: Jsavic1108

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and another thing, you still playing drums???

Ggores

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, still playing drums. Aint that what a Poor Detroit boy supposed to do? And it's Blackstone Plaza. "Plaza", man was that a treat. Southfield Freeway was like a watch tower, wasn't it? It was the "crossing line". Happy summer ya'll, and I'll catch ya later, Joe. :-)

Exit_9
Username: Exit_9

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That DQ sells burgers fries etc etc.....I never go in there but went with a friend the other week to get some things for him and his girl.....If your impatient like me, I advise you to never go in there...The wait is HORRIBLE and the space is so small you bascially have to stand outside and wait 20 minutes for your ice cream. Steer clear

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mucho discussion on this thread regarding the boundaries of the Warrendale neighborhood. As someone who has spent 26 of his 38 years on this planet living in the area, and who is currently president of the Warrendale Community Organization, I figure I'm unique qualified to opine on this one.

When I was growing up in the '70s and '80s, no one really considered anything north of Tireman to be "Warrendale". However, by the time I returned to the area after college in the early 90s, the Warrendale Community Organization had extended it's boundaries to the south side of Joy Rd.

My understanding is that this was because no one really knew what to refer to the area between Joy and Tireman as. The folks north of Joy didn't consider it part of their neighborhood and it essentially got annexed into Warrendale by default.

Regarding the sale price of 8687 Brace from 2 years ago, I think it was slightly overpriced - but not in a huge fashion.

The brick ranch across the street from me (Ashton - between Whitlock & Paul) sold for $115K in January, 2006. Several bungalows went for $100 - $125K. When one considers that 8687 Brace had a new furnace and roof installed, and that it's a fairly large house, $150K isn't all that hard to believe.

N7hn didn't say exactly when it was sold. However, my guess is that this happened in the spring of 2006, which was essentially the peak of the neighborhood's real estate boom. After that, the mortgage crisis started to hit; supply began to exceed demand by ridiculous measures (as much as 70 sellers for every 1 buyer) and prices began to plummet.

Prostitutes and drug dealers began setting up shop in some of the vacant homes. Crack heads began scrapping other homes in order to get their fix. All of this, combined with a general unresponsiveness by the Detroit Police Department, has led to our current situation.

For anyone interested in what is currently happening in the neighborhood, please check out my recap of the August WCO meeting. http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2008/08/recap-of-wcos-august- membership-meeting.html

For those DYers who indicated that they live in the area, I invite each of you to attend the next WCO meeting: Monday, September 8th at 6:30 p.m. in the school building of St. Thomas Aquinas Church.

Exwarrendaler
Username: Exwarrendaler

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I would like to say that I have appreciated this post. It brought me close to home. The picture of the DQ is great, many an ice cream was purchased there. I grew up at 8307 Artesian, right around the corner. I also had my street as my News route, Artesian from Tireman to Joy rd. My parents got out in 1986 while I was in the service. Lot of memories, I still remember my old phone no. Were proud members of St. Peter and Paul church. Any alumni out there?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2881
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a SSPP alum. My parents were members of the parish. My brothers and I all went to grade school there.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The yellow sign on the DQ says "brazier", and I think that means they sell burgers, fries, and coney's also.

Yeah, it does.

Most DQ's in Detroit don't have this sign (and an employee from there told me this), which is why I asked where this one was located.

Isn't this near Old Redford or something?

N7hn

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not really, i guess depends on what u consider close tho. maybe 4 miles south of old redford.....

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 6700 Greenview for the 1st 18 years of my life. I haven't been by my old house in several months, but the last time I was over there it still looked great. The whole street still looks pretty nice, actually.