Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit in 1937- Safety patrol « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this Youtube video on a other forum. These videos are from 1937 Detroit. Presented by Chevrolet. The safety patrol was a group of boys that help pedestrians cross Detroit roads. The video was very interesting. It great to see Detroit is one of its heydays.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =k87ngcACTRs

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old school, too---no ugly orange belts.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was/is the pedestrian underpass they showed? Maybe E. Grand Blvd. and Jefferson?

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was just posted here a few days ago(sorry, i've looked, but can't find it) and they mentioned what school it was and where.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/150966.html?1218423533

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 641
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Sg9018, what forum was that?

Sg9018

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite
Urban Ohio. Urban Ohio is like Detroit Yes but, it is for the Urban cities of Ohio.
http://www.urbanohio.com/
I love to go to local forum type websites like Detroit Yes and see locals talk and share topics in happening thier cities.
I am so sorry guys. I did not know that the link was posted before. But the video is very interesting and I think it is great to share things about the past.

(Message edited by sg9018 on August 12, 2008)

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching a movie similar to this when I became a safety in elementary school. I still have scars on my wrist from a boy scratching me as I dragged his unruly behind to the office. I was serious about mine in the 5th grade..LOL

(Message edited by jita1 on August 13, 2008)

Jita1

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody notice the horn at 4:26? Sounds like a ship coming in. Pretty cool.

Jita1

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I vaguely remember an underpass like that somewhere around the Davison expressway back in the 70's. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That underpass looks like Highland Park @ Cortland School, on Second.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was another underpass at Second & Pilgrim Going to Ford School on the North side of Highland Park too.
Swede1934, I can't remember the name of the candy store on Cortland?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4947
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was fun trying to figure out where they were.

grand

There are understreet passages on John R. by St. Benedicts in Highland Park too.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one in Hamtramack, on Holbrook and Brombach, that was closed up in 1973. One of the top stories in The Citizen back then.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the way the kid talks?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my day only boys were allowed to join the Safety Patrol. The girl's counterpart was called the Service Squad. Their job was to stand duty in front of the school, keep the kids in line and take down names.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....and also clap erasers outside. Those clouds of chalk dust definitely had something to do with global warming.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or does the kid in the video sound like he's from Brooklyn or Jersey? I've never been to Detroit, I just didn't think Detroiters sound like northeasterners. Though he does sound a little bit like my sister's friend from Minnesota.

"Women are very careless that way."

I wonder if they'd get away with that line today. :p

I also wonder how many of the underpasses are still in use and upkept.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless the Detroit accent was quite a bit different 70 years ago, that kid isn't from Detroit, I say.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3521
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cop is an actor. Uniform does not come close to matching the DPD uniform of 1937. Badges are phonies, too.

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do they close off an underpass?

Deegee
Username: Deegee

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do they close off an underpass?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming they would either put a gate in the stairwell, or concrete over them.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a member of the Safety Patrol at Hoover Elementary in Lincoln Park in the late 50's, we got to also be on the Service Squad, but everything was boys only. One of the other jobs was to haul the individual wax milk cartons in the wooden crates to the kindergarten and 1st grade classrooms and pass them out. Long ago memories.

Lowell

Post Number: 4959
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closed underpasses were sealed with corrugated sheet metal at ground level. Here is one by St. Benedict's School in Highland Park at John R.

St. Benedict Street underpass Highland Park Detroit

Jgavrile

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, can't view the image??
At grade school in Highland Park, we had the pint glass bottles to haul upstairs in the wooden crates or sometimes in the metal wire crates. What a treat.
I think we also got either one or two graham crackers with our bottle of milk.
Around the mid 50's it got changed to the cartons and then in a year or two they put in "Vendo" milk machines. I thing a carton of milk was 5 cents.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell ,Got it now. Good ol St. Bens.

Sg9018

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The underpass looks cool. But they should remove the underpass though. The underpass looks similar to a NYC subway exit/entrance. It too bad it is not a subway entrance. But I think I should end at that note. Subways and underpasses are two different stories IMO.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My school had safety patrol boys. They had the white cloth belts and two phrases: "Hold It" (arms out) and "Let's Go" (arms down.) Like Ed Golick mentioned, the girls counterpart was the Service Squad, and had to keep an eye on the stairs and school entrances. They had armbands to wear, and also had a few commanding phrases, such as, "No Running" and "Single File!" These coveted positions only went to the 6th graders at my elementary school.

Lowell

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too was an old-school white-belt safety patrol kid too in my little town of Perry. Our reward? At the end of the year we got a day off to go to Walled Lake amusement park. woo hoo.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Parkman elementary in the 60's we had "Duty Girls" and they were a terror. Like Ed_golick said, they would report you for taking cuts in line before the school doors opened. That would get you a trip to the principal Mr. Smith. The real trouble though was getting caught talking while we were lined up in the hall by our classroom door either before school or after lunch. They would pull you out of line and drag you to Mrs. Kozar's room for an ass kicking.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
Walled Lake amusement park ??..All we got was a trip to the toboggan hill at Gregory Park which was 2 blocks from our school in the dead of winter.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the end of the year we got to go to Edgewater Park. It was there that I put a nickel in a machine to see a "Genuine Parisian Fan Dance," which turned out to be a paper fan with two little doll legs swinging beneath it. I'll bet that machine got a lot of nickels from a lot of horny 13 year old boys.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a member of the service squad and my brother was on the safety patrol at Beard Elementary. Wish I still had my arm band.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a "safety patrol" girl and had a white shoulder belt in the 60's. At the end of the year, we got a Safety Patrol Certificate at the end of the year recognition program.

I would take a trip to an amusement park any day, instead of a piece of paper.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Safety Patrol at our school got to go to a Tiger's game. Always in left field, with a literal horde of other SP from other schools.

Jgavrile

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If jman was on this thread he would tell you ,at Barber elementary school in Highland Park in the 40's and 50's we had the safety patrol sponsored by AAA of Michigan. There was a captain and lieutenants with badges that you wore on the the white safety patrol belt that went across your chest. When it was taken off ,you could roll it up a certain way ,such that the badge and buckle were all showing above the neatly wrapped belt.
We also had what was called the pick-up quad. This group was given a 5 gallon pail and a round broomstick like stick ,about 4 ft. long with a sharpened nail on the end of it. You went around and picked up debris and paper off of the school grounds and lawn.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in public school in the early '80s, boys and girls could safeties and service squad members. I was both as well as the safety captain in the 5th grade. Mom sent me to parochial school for 7th and 8th grade but only boys could be safeties. I remember how much that pissed me off.

One of my service squad duties was to watch the younger kids eat lunch in their classrooms since the schools I attended did not have a cafeteria. Now that my own children are elementary school aged, I can't imagine that happening.