Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Skipper's Stray Dog Saloon, 1980's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a terrific tour of this legendary 80's downtown watering hole -- back from the days when downtown was going down, down, down.

Pictures provided by Skipper hisself [of 'Skipper's Rule' fame on this forum] give a montage of the ghost town era of downtown Detroit.

I tipped a few there. It was a special place.
Click the pictures to wander through.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to Skippers? I met him one time when I was just a young kid at a tugboat race in '89. Never made it to the bar. We went downtown to look for it once and it was either closed or gone, can't recall.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool pictures.. quite a diverse crowd of customers.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thank you for that Skipper. I met a couple of current day forum members during the many, many nights spent at Skippers. Great to see the pictures of Suzy, Larry and Skip and regulars.
The place was absolutely lousy with Canadians on Sunday nights. Those evenings when the combos would play were nuts, they were crammed into that little space up front by the door. Back then there wern't too many places open Downtown, especially after the business crowd went home.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet find I can find at least one shot of me in there and a friend who passed on a while back. Thanks for the post.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13694
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, I thought we'd see something of Jams in an earlier age...although I see his hand in some of those artsy black&white shots, and one front shot that is signed by him.

What a great crowd, indeed, the Detroit I know and love...not unlike how the Rivertown Saloon was back in the day, and the Soup Kitchen.

Cub and I said the exact same words when looking around at the crowd at the Poetry Slam Blair opened for a few Sunday's back...the crowd was diverse in every way, age, race, religion, gender and orientation...it was a truly beautiful sight.

We said at about the same time to each other, "Now THIS is the Detroit I love!"

And we laughed...so much love around that place it was amazing.

I catch some of that through these old pictures...found myself wishing I recognized more faces, went all the way to the end.

Thanks for the effort, Skipper.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I worked in the Michigan Bldg for Master Card and we were at Skippers all the time. Just a quick ride in the elevator, out the door to the left and there you were. Many a great Friday was spent there. My gal pals threw me my going away party there...including a male stripper. Ahhh, the good old days.