Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » 2008 Detroit Demolition Sites « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an April 2, 2008 press release announcing a $300 million economic stimulus plan
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick announced, among other things, that the plan would:

"Demolish 50 vacant commercial and apartment structures around the city"

Let's take a "Here Today, Gone Today" tour of those thus far slated for demolition. Start Tour >

Eyesores standing in the way of progress or landmarks lost forever. What do you think?

Have at it!

THUMBNAIL INDEX

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a good number of those buildings won't be missed, or are too late to save, but a lot of them will definitely be losses.

I wonder how many infill houses could be built with the demolition money, and if those would be more worthwhile than chasing after abandoned buildings.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These pictures are very painful. What a horrendous waste of resources.

I drive by several of these daily, but stopping and really looking at them is tough.

The builders of these magnificent buildings would be absolutely horrified (not to mention the people who once called those their homes, schools, or places of work).

We live in a bizarre place.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All those beautiful apartments. Sometimes this site tears your heart out.
The one at second avenue I believe is in the Palmer Park Apartment area. Palmer Park Apartment Area is home to some of the great deco apartments buildings.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some of the buildings are a miracle that they are still standing. like the parkview manor apts. alot of this just falls on cheap asses who just left rather then deal with their mess

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone else said it before, but with the $5-7 million? they were taking to demolish these buildings, I wish they had instead just fixed up ONE or THREE... One of the beautiful ones. There were about 10 architecturally significant buildings on that list. These are beautiful buildings that CANNOT BE REPLICATED... and I believe that THAT would be a stimulus.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4752
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for compiling the list, Lowell.

While some of these are no-brainers, there are some major losses, architecturally speaking, and it really hurts because in several cases we have buildings that make up the city's dense core going by the wayside. Detroit will become even flatter and more non-descript as a result of this. These buildings, even in their current condition, would be treasured in most other cities.

Woodland, 17111 2nd, Lisbon (already gone), Rich-Dex, Saint Rita Place, and 30 E. Philadelphia all should not be demolished. You can offer them to developers for free, or actually pay the developers up to the amount it would cost to demolish them, and then give them 2 or 3 years to begin a restoration project. This preserves the city's historic character and stimulates investment quicker than tearing something down and then waiting for someone to approach you to build something new. I also guarantee than none of those buildings will be replaced with new buildings that are as large as the current ones, that use space as well as the current ones, and that are as beautiful as the current ones (clearly)...if they are replaced by new buildings at all.

If it's the poor quality of some of these neighborhoods that is scaring off developers, then they will be no more likely to build something on an empty lot in a slum than they would be rehab one of these buildings. Tearing something down does not address a neighborhood's core problem...it only removes another one of its few remaining assets (in the cases of these apartment buildings) and makes the neighborhood uglier.

It really boggles the mind. You have buildings with character, many of which anchor still-intact neighborhoods (I'm thinking of 31 Woodland especially), and many of which are directly on a planned rapid transit line. The current administration clearly doesn't know what is an asset to the city and what would be coveted by potential future developers. Do we want to make ourselves into a Houston or a Jacksonville? Do we really want to destroy all of our neighborhoods that have the character that makes Detroit a distinct place, and make them plain, modern, and semi-suburban (while boasting that we have a cool downtown and it's all good because of that)?

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 08, 2008)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I know my opinion is not popular, but the only one of those eyesores I would even think of saving would be Saint Rita. I sure as heck wouldn't want to live near one of these buildings, and apparently, I'm not the only one!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, why can't we build a Mass Transit system using majority of the $300 million dollars?

Invest in the school system?

Invest in the civic services?

I'm sure that would kill several birds with one stone (and possibly save these buildings in the long run).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on May 08, 2008)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to see the Latin Quarter go. I saw Nine Inch Nails play there on New Year's Eve one time.

The rest ... it really is sad that they're in such a poor state. What a terrible shame. But they may as well be knocked down now.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Santa Rita and the Philadelphia should be saved. They are beautiful buildings. I agree with the plan to give a developer the demo money and save them. They are irreplaceble architecturly (?SP?) Woodland looks like it's in an active neighborhood why not renovate it?

Thank you very much Lowell for putting the slideshow together. I live in Austin and we do not have many beautiful old buildings like Detroit does. I love to look at your pictures.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe Santa Rita is going to be demoed. I know it's across from a school, but there's plenty of devastation across Detroit that should receive attention first.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's too many of those giant old apartment buildings around...they are white elephants that will never be fixed up...they should be first on the list.
Some of the other places are so obviously dangerous that they need to go...like the ruins on Pierson.
Others are in areas where there are no residents left...those should be lower on the priority list.

That old Anheiser-Busch plant on W. Jefferson should be sold to a developer, I've been inside and the place would make great loft space.

I don't see why the Latin Quarter needs to go either.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4797
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which one is the former Anheiser-Busch?

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like that Detroit Mon Amour would be savable.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6476
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing photos, Lowell. Did you visit each site?
What a volume of ruins. Thanks for bringing them to us. Sad reality of Detroit. Sad but true.

jjaba.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5054
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1982 W. Jefferson is the former Anheiser-Busch.

Rid0617

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted: Seems like that Detroit Mon Amour would be savable.

Just realized I screwed up. The property I thought was savable is Saint Rita. I'd almost like to live in a building that looked like that (on the outside) now.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 892
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aknartoon's on Woodward went down a week or so ago. So did the auto shop across the street from there. I guess they're serious this time?

*stifles laughter*

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aknartoon. Which one is that?

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Pentagon was partially destroyed by terrorists, the government had to call construction workers out of retirement to rebuild the damaged part. It seems the current workers didn't have a clue as how to rebuild it. So it stands to reason that when these beautiful old buildings are being destroyed, they're gone for good. All the new buildings are like the house I live in, stucco and styrofoam.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11655
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Aknartoon's on Woodward went down a week or so ago. So did the auto shop across the street from there. I guess they're serious this time?

Didn't Aknartoon's go down awhile ago. The attached building may have been what came down if I am correct.

E - If I am thinking of the correct place it is on Woodward (east side of street) just north of the big Archdiocese Church.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just looked at the Philadelphia again. The fronts with those windows are so nice. The rooms must have been beautiful. Anyone have any other information on the Philadelphia. Knew someone who lived there, I could live there vicariously through someones story. Any other pictures??

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4762
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz calls to mind the most important thing..once they're gone, they're gone for good. Even if some revolution in building processes allows us to commonly build quality buildings using such things as, like, real masonry again, you know that the finished products will never look like these again without spending many millions. We are making decisions of historic proportions, and signing off on plans that will forever delete great accomplishments of past Detroiters. And we are making these plans hastily and wrongheadedly.

Gaz

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the relatives in Detroit had been a brickmason. He had done work all over Detroit, and said he considered his work to be more art than construction. I have no idea which buildings he worked on, but he took a lot of pride in his work.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Latin Quarter" has a jazz/hot dance music history stretching back to the 1920s, when it was the Oriole Terrace, referred to as a "large and lavish nightclub" by the Det News. Ted FioRito's orch (out of Chicago) was based there and made some recs as the "Oriole Terrace Orchestra". Bandleader Jean Goldkette, whose 1927 band helped put Detroit on the jazz map, owned the "Fantasia" restaurant at that location around 1950 but it failed, alas. Wonder what's in the basement?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6483
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JIMG, centurian status. Congratulations to your dedication to The Forum. 1009 quality, informed posts. Don't get much better than that.
Post your email address here for reward from jjaba.

jjaba, Mazel tov.

Gaz

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After being on this site for a little while, and reading the posts/seeing Detroit as it is now, it is like I am looking at a different city. It's not the city I remember at all (I haven't been back since the 1970's.) Sometimes, I feel that I am reading/seeing science fiction. I remember what Detroit was, and I know it can come back. It won't be the same, ever, but it can be great, just the same.

I just wish so many of the old buildings didn't have to go.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St. Rita is gorgeous. Don't know about the surrounding neighborhood - or the condition of the rest of the building. The rest are I probably wouldn't miss too much.

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2008/080410-the50/112-StRita .htm

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been horrified for the past 40 years at what Detroit has become. There is a lot of beauty in the photos everybody has taken, but the reality is . . . well, . . .rather not say.

I was watching HGTV the other night, vegging, they showed condos in Chicago in older neighborhoods - almost like the beautiful buildings that, in Detroit, are to be demo'ed. Same age, brick, ornate, etc., but they are being lived in as condos.

My heart broke when I saw the pic's of the Forrest Arms burning; that is such a gorgeous piece of architecture. I just hope it can come back to life.

Galexc
Username: Galexc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm.... why isn't MCD #1???

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched all the photos and I saw LOTS of buildings that could be SAVED! It's a shame to see such ARTISTIC beauty..blown up into dust!
If it's a factory..uh yeah..those are an "eye sore" But, a beautiful hotel or mansion?? They saved Henry Fords' factory..
General Motors is still hanging on!
Anything to demolish are the SLUMS where squatters live!

Swtlorrain66
Username: Swtlorrain66

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um..by the way of chatting about old buildings..lol. Is 'The Greystone' building
still standing?? I'm an ex-punker and saw Black Flag there (my first punk show ever!)...lol
So, just asking...lol.

Rid0617

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I don't understand is why are they tearing these buildings down. I would seem as long as the roof and foundation is secure it would be cheaper to fix one of these from inside out than to start from scratch at todays prices.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad, so sad, Lowell---but it appears that my Aunt Alice's apartment building from the '40's which I remember as a kid ( Roselawn Apartment Hotel, 111 Highland Avenue, HP, Apt. #502) has survived the cut.
At least for now.

Mccarus
Username: Mccarus

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks,

I saw the photos Lowell posted and went downtown to put together a radio report on it. Hear it on my site michigannow.org or Thursday morning on WDET's show from 10-12. I would assume if everyone is this upset about the demos they could call the city or elected officials and bug them not to continue.

Chris

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Anheiser-Busch warehouse on W.Fort (although the address is listed here as W.Jefferson) had a huge piece of stone relief work in the front of the building, the triangular "A" with their eagle icon, at the top of the cornice. I worked a few doors down at 1915 W.Fort, one day about ten years ago we came into work and that huge piece of stone was gone from the Anheiser-Busch building, very crudely chipped out of the brickwork. I can't imagine how someone got it out of there in one piece without a crane, it had to weigh a ton.
Somebody REALLY likes thier Budweiser.

that's sad. There is much better beer in this world.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the plan is for the bricks from all these buildings they plan to demolish? Just curious........they have to be worth some money.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad. here in Des Moines, we had a 100 year old apartment building, a smaller version of some of these nice buildings, actually moved three blocks to save it from demolition. In my opinion, it was OK but not worth saving and I am a serious Preservationist.

I see 3-4 buildings in that mix definitely worth saving. Obviously the Saint Rita. The thing is nobody wanted to try their hand at them. The one on Edison - wouldn't that be on or near the Boston-Edison historic area? What an opportunity to build condos with OWNERSHIP rather then renters.

I think the answer is ownership. Many of these apartment structures had rented rooms. A newer trend in cities is to restore commercial buildings as "loft" condos. Ownership. This always promotes preservation & care of these buildings. Anytime it's a business (apartments) the renters know (like leasing of vehicles) "it's not theirs" so a degree of care is lost in the overall maintenance of the buildings.

What happens after demolition? Do these sit as vacate city owned lots? Not producing income of course.

Because many have been empty for years, that means there has been plenty of time for entrepreneurs to purchase and build them for condos. No interest - and nobody promoting that culture within city government.

Sorry Detroit.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem is that there are TOO MANY abandoned homes, apartments, stores, etc. It's one thing when you have 99% of the structures in the area occupied and only 1% that need restoration. But when you have 1/3 that are occupied, 1/3 that are abandoned (many of which are either burned, open to the elements, etc.), and 1/3 which have already been demolished, who wants to invest into that type of "community"?

I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see all the buildings in Detroit be preserved (or rather "would have loved to have seen"), but most (not all) of Detroit has gone TOO FAR. It's time to rebuild!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ummm.... why isn't MCD #1???"

I take it you mean Michigan Central Station. If you do, why would you tear it down? There's no residential anywhere near it. It doesn't hurt anything and isn't a danger to communities like the others. Though the Michigan Trucking facility on Fort isn't near residential either...

Ocmobilexec
Username: Ocmobilexec

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god, that was sad watching "Here today, gone today". I remember so many of those old buildings while growing up in Detroit. The city is going to wind up just being one big, dusty, open field one day; everything will just be bulldozed. What a shame.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Uh, why can't we build a Mass Transit system using majority of the $300 million dollars?
Invest in the school system?
Invest in the civic services?
I'm sure that would kill several birds with one stone (and possibly save these buildings in the long run)."

Because no one on the Mayors list of 'special interest' benefactors stands to profit from any of those endeavors.
He has friends in the Demolition business.

Peace

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here know where I can find a list of the concerts that were at The Latin Quarter?

Blair
Username: Blair

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey,

By the time the gang at Saint Andrews started doing shows at the Latin Quarter in 1990, instead of letting Brass Ring Productions cherry pick the shows for the Royal Oak Music Theater, thousands of shows and the entire Motown scene had been in and out of the Oriole Terrace aka Latin Quarter, aka Twenty Grand.

We found the building to be a death trap: inadequate exit-ing; electrical service in a center of ballroom pit accessible by a trap door, which once was totally submerged by rain water; a spaghetti-like maze of electrical wire in the ceilings without conduit or even romex insulation. Our architect refused to come into the building, he was so concerned that a wrongful death would be attributed to his reviewing the site. . It was great to leave without anyone injured, when we packed up after the Dread Zeppelin fiasco, when Mr. Marty Eisner, now deceased, pulled the liquor license unbeknownst to us and had his old police buddies arrest all the staff and confiscate the booze, beer, money and records and take about 30 of us to jail after the show closed. Subsequently, Saint Andrews shifted its shows to the State Theater, and to Pontiac @ Industry Night Club, & the Phoenix Center. . .

There was no basement.

There was virtually no records or memorabilia on site. I looked everywhere and only found a parcel of 100+/- 8 by 10 black and white glossy PR pics.

For what its worth: Here is the list of shows we did at the Latin Quarter:

Sugarcubes 3/2/1990
Jesus & Mary Chain 3/16/1990
Veldt 3/16/1990
Skinny Puppy 11/9/1990
Nirvana 1/1/1991
Big Chief 2/23/1991
Gwar 2/23/1991
Sisters Of Mercy 4/3/1991
School Of Fish 4/20/1991
Butthole Surfers 5/2/1991
Mind Funk 6/1/1991
Motorhead 6/1/1991
Divinyls 6/27/1991
Dread Zeppelin 1991 05 24
Drivin N 1991 05 24

(I don't think we did June 1991 shows at the LQ, because of the fiasco mentioned above. Also, I don't see Soundgarden, so this limited list is not complete. sorry)

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that Lowell's tour is a few shy of the full fifty. Does anyone know the names or locations of the other ~20 buildings? I loved Lowell's tour, and would love to see the remainder.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so it's 2009. Any of these 2008 demolitions actually happen?

Navi
Username: Navi

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other 26 buildings were to be named at a later time.

Raptor56, McMillan was demolished. That's the only one I've heard about (knock on wood).

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: