Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Date Ideas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in a new relationship and would love some good recommendations for activities for couples in the city. I'd rather avoid candle-lit dinners and movies. I'm looking more for adventurous/off the beaten path activities (i.e. Hitsville U.S.A. tour or UFO factory show). She's 20, so many of the bars are out.

Thanks the help.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Riverwalk? Or the Science Center during the day? Take her biking on the many bike paths in the area?

When I was younger and in new relationships, I always loved different and offbeat as well.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about any early evening trip to a crack house in the Highland Park area, then a quick jaunt to the party store for a couple o' forties. Then find a neighborhood on the lower east that you can watch 'real street life' for an hour or two (shootings, stabbings car theft, crack-whore slapping, etc.). Even participate if you want(like a reality tv show)!

Then a very late night trip to the drag races on W.Jefferson, Rosa Parks, etc. If your lucky, you'll see a horrific accident!

A night she'll never forget!

Oh yeah, if all this really impresses her, then you will have no trouble making a "one hour stop" at a seedy Woodward motel at the end of the night!

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historical Museum walking around the streets of Old Detroit?

Check out MOCAD?

Fly a kite on Belle Isle? Go to the conservatory?

Go to a show at the Hilberry?

Walk around inside the Fisher Building and look at the amazing details?

Ft Wayne?

Concert in Kresge Court at the DIA?

Open studios at Russell Industrial Center?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walks on the riverwalk are great in the summer. I am only 20 and my boyfriend is 21, but there are many bars in the city that you would have no problem getting in to if you really wanted to. Catching a concert is always a good bet, as are events at MOCAD, if you guys are into art, many of their events are free. Sometimes we just get really decked out and go to a coney island. Coffee is always a good bet too. Preservation Wayne tours can be fun too. Let me think and i'll get back to you with more ideas.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Funk Party is always a good date if you like to dance or watch people. It does only happen the last Friday of the month, it's current venue is the Woodbridge Gallery (though this month was double-booked so no funk. Boo!) Anyhow, keep it in mind if the dating works & it's around the last Friday

You can Google for more info

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say an adventurous soul would enjoy the Bohemian National Home if she hasn't been there. You can choose from jazz at the outer edges of the genre, rock, electronic, or totally unclassifiable shows in a truly funky and wonderful old building.

http://www.myspace.com/bohemia nnationalhome

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

friday salsa dancing at vincetes.

Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the posts! These are all good ideas. Anything else you might recommend?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 785
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like what you fools are suggesting already.
in addition to what's already been said:

-ride the people mover
-sit by the fountain at c-mart
-dine in style @ roma cafe (eastern market)
-ride the merry-go-round at river walk
-have a picnic on top of the train station
-attend the st. patty's parade
-get ice cream at midnight at coach insignia
-redford theater
-ford wyoming drivein
-DFT

Andylinn

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more:

-carwash cafe
-walking tour of Boston Edison
-walking tour of Lafayette Park

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The date idea topic has come up often. There are several if not more threads you can find by searching the archives. Just a fyi.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a hot night at bouzouki!

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DIA seems to be a pretty popular date venue on the weekends...It's also close to a lot of good spots for lunch...

Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any good upcoming events?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5929
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fiancee and I had our first date in Detroit. Bowling at Garden Bowl, Dinner at Union Street, drinks at Hard Rock. OK, I don't recommend Hard Rock. But the rest of it was fun. :-) And apparently it worked!

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if they do this in Detroit. But go to the Symphony for cheap. Here in Toronto, residents under 35 can get $12.00 tickets(sometimes you end up right in the front row).

Anyway symphonies are not as boring as people think they are. They actually can be great.
I have been taken to the Symphony for a date twice and it was great. The date did not work out, but the music was good :-)

So check if they have the same deal in Detroit.
Its a great off the beaten path sort of evening for most young people.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K.I.S.S.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tour the Masonic Temple

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of any good upcoming events?

FilterD (updated on Tuesdays):

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ filterd/Default.aspx

Metrotimes Night and Day (updated on Wednesdays):

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12753

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't forget the music scene. For news and listings of local shows:

http://www.motorcityrocks.com/

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went on a first (real) date in Detroit a couple years ago. It was a weeknight and I kind of winged it. I had absolutely no idea where I was going to take her. I figured somewhere in Greektown, but I saw a spot on Monroe across from Compuware. We ended up having dinner at the Hard Rock (there are many more options off Campus Martius now, but not really back then), then we walked around the front of the building to Ben and Jerry's for some ice cream cones, and sat in the park. We weren't the only ones there, but it was the evening, and with the water it was very neat. It was her first time walking around the city and she made a comment about how beautiful it was, and how fun it would be to live down here. I had gone on other dates in this city, but that's kind of what made me think she could be a keeper.

Anyway, great dating spot, but a city/local girl would probably be less impressed. However, Campus Martius, Grand Circus, or the Riverwalk would all be awesome after locations to stroll/sit and talk. Either after dinner, movie, concert, play, or other event.

Also, be prepared to handle some of the (sometimes strange) things that you may see. And be prepared for panhandlers or an occasional drunk. This is sort of common sense, but worth mentioning, especially if you go to the Garden Bowl for example. If you handle any sort of incident in a good and responsible way, it could actually get you some... points, I guess. Again, common sense, I know.

On another date, I took my date to eat at one of the many old style Drive-Ins in the area (Sonics is in the Northern Burbs, Daily's in the West, and I think there is a good one in New Center somewhere), then we went to the Ford and Wyoming Drive-In movie theater. The best part of the drive-in theater is that the movies cycle, so you can stay all night if you'd like. I have a friend who refined that one and rented a classic car for the night, from a place in Canton. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you could do a internet search and find them.

Greektown might be interesting. I think there is a company that will do carriage rides for a decent price during the summer.

It all depends on the person too. The classic car and drive-in idea might seem really cheesy for some, but in that case, the girl was a classic car fan. I know it's a first date, but use any info you have wisely.

Good Luck!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Featherbowling is fun at Cadieux Cafe (Eastside)and they have live music also. Steaming bowls of mussels might not be for her, but they have sandwiches, etc.
www.cadieuxcafe.com

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If things go well in Detroit, bring her downriver for the next date. 3rd Fridays in Wyandotte, start with muskrat dinners at Kolas, then downtown where all the stores are open late, lots of activity. If she can handle the muskrat, she's a keeper.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what kind of music do you like, Vandykenjefferson?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit (and Vendykenjefferson),

next time you go for ice cream downtown, try the place that's one more block up Monroe, on the other side of the street, next to the Indian place. Good ice cream, it's local, and you may get the added bonus of enjoying talking to whoever is hanging out there that evening. I'm forgetting the name of the place, but it's easy to find, across from the Thai restaurant.

If you like bar-ish dates, I'd second the Cadieux Cafe. I've never tried feather bowling, but it's not just for old Belgian men - I see lots of 20-somethings doing it too. And the mussels are great.

In addition to the Friday night activities at the DIA, you might (dep. on what sort of music you like) like some of the music events (and see the exhibits too, of course) that MOCAD puts on regularly.

If you're both bookish, perhaps you'd like a couple of hours on an afternoon wandering through John King Books.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone mentioned taking in the grace and sagacious presence of the Book Cadillac?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No happy ending with that first date, if I remember correctly.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take that you are looking for an event filled, cheap date.

Starting on Saturday mid morning:

Head north to Planet Rock in pontiac for indoor rock climbing.
http://www.planet-rock.com/

It might be tad out of the way, but you will develop a bond while learning to climb together.

A couple of hours climbing, will work up an taste for a hearty meal, head south Woodward to Royal Oak for a bite at Cafe Habana

http://www.cafehabanas.com/def ault.php

Then walk around the corner to the Salvation Army (where Dr. Kervokian bought his blue sweather) and challenge each other to buy a piece of clothing for one another. Set a price limit of $5. Make sure you don't help eachother, and don't peek, but make it a rule that the other person has to wear whatever is chosen. This will build mutual suspense. Suspense is good. You are looking to build suspense, suspense leads to memories.

While wearing your new old clothes, then go for a game of pool at Fifth Ave

http://www.fifthavenuebilliard s.com/RoyalOak_v2/roGeneral.ht m

After losing a game or two (make sure you lose because it will show you can be gallant in the face of defeat) head back down Woodward and get a donut at DutchGirl donuts (7 and Woodward).

Avoid the hookers out front.

Back south to the DIA.

If that schedule doesn't work, nothing will.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, the clothes thing at Salvation Army is a very cool idea.

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be forewarned if you happen to go out on a nice day, the fountain at Campus Martius is undergoing weatherproofing. It's covered with an ugly tent right now, but the park is still a great place for people watching, sans fountain.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On our first date I took my girlfriend to Belle Isle where we went to the Belle Isle Conservatory. After that we had a picnic on the tip of the island where we watched the ships go by. After that we walked the riverwalk and ended up listening to music at Campus Martius for an hour or so.

I'm all about spending money, but for $0 I found a return date and eventual love. There is so much to do around here. For her and I it revolves around water. You cant go wrong by trying new things! Most girls enjoy when you put thought into a date, instead of going to the places where everyone else goes.

Andylinn

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVENTS:

Friday: - Trumbullplex: Dance Punk Show
Sat: - magic stick: BLITZEN TRAPPER

Gnome

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok V.D.J.-

What did you decide to do and how did it go?

Gnome

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best. date. ever.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/mdtv137.aspx

Rushbuzz1013
Username: Rushbuzz1013

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait for an afternoon Tiger game (Thursdays are good)...then head to Greektown for great pizza.

Larjmarj
Username: Larjmarj

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downriviara...Would that qualify as "Muskrat Love"?

Is that song stuck in your head now?

Downriver? Take her to the submarine races at Bishop park...bow chicha bow bow.

Eastsiderules
Username: Eastsiderules

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor ballet to see how its done. Turn her out and keep the money!

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go to the International Freedom Festival Fireworks. Be careful not to step on the corner of anyone's blanket unless you want to show your manly man combat skills.

In the fall, there is the Kappa Slappa Ho party on WSU campus.