Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Cooper school « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pass through the area north of the 9-4,south of Huber,east of Mt.Elliot,and west of Van Dyke frequently. Between Christmas and New years I passed by the Cooper school which is located on the 6300 block of Georgia between St.Cyril and Mt.Elliot. At that time I noticed what appeared to be that , some of the windows on the building had been left open. A day later when passing, I had seen that more were agape and investigated further. Actually the windows had not been left open but were stolen (presumably by scrap thieves).I hadn't witnessed anyone near the school after I circled the premises so it wasn't a crime that was in progress. I decided to inform the DPS (Detroit Public School)police .The phone directory didn't have a listing for them so I called the general number for the schools. It was holiday break and nobody was available to answer the call.
Ok , I tried to get the DPS police number from the general city information number(city county building).They were working but didn't have it. When I explained what was occurring their apathy was apparent.Next a call 311 for the number , or at least try to get them to make the proper notification.They didn't have the number either!
Certainly the local precinct(11th or whatever they call it now) will take some action ,maybe even have the number. Whoever answered the phone there listened to a few words of what I was reporting and interrupted "hold on" and transferred me to the 911 operator. I immediately told them that it was not an emergency and explained.Whatever they did, who knows. Well it appears that nobody really cares and this is the result.

http://img147.imageshack.us/sl ideshow/player.php?id=img147/1 905/1203027319g8x.smil

The pictures aren't that great since I took them with a camera phone. You can see that all but a few of the lower windows in the whole building, that opened, are gone. On the south east corner of the building ,several of the complete window frames have been taken.
I know that this school had been renovated recently. Certainly with some of the billion dollar bond money that was approved several years ago.
At least the scoo board is getting something for their money.
The contractor that's getting paid to clear the snow from the walk is still doing the job.
Even though the building seems to be abandoned.

I'm certain that if you told anyone from a real "World Class city" this story they wouldn't believe you.
______________________________ ____________________
A lifelong Detroiter I really can't explain why just stupid I guess.

(Message edited by detroitjim on February 14, 2008)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4744
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, you mean the windows that were just put in a couple years ago!

depressing.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've often noticed that public servants in Detroit do nothing more than pass the buck onto other public servants. It's a circle of lazy madness.