Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Brodhead Armory « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080212/NEW S01/80212043

Sounds cool. Anyone have photos of the Brodhead Armory?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great to bring life to the building and help the neighborhood

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the old naval armory across Gabriel Richard Park?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6300
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is (right next door along the waterfront).

For anyone who has ever seen the great WPA artwork inside, the murals of the soldiers and sailors have an uncanny resemblance to that 1980's music group "The Village People". :-)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that was where the sailors streamed out to join the brawl on the Belle Isle bridge that touched off the 1943 race riot.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the article, they speak of remaking the facility. I sure hope they will preserve this part:

Soon after it opened, murals with nautical themes were added by artists David Fredenthal and Edgar Yaegar as part of the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Arts Project. The WPA-FAP was a New Deal program to put unemployed artists to work creating public art.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Naval Armory was a VERY busy boxing venue during the 1932 - 1934 period. My Dad fought most of his pro fights there.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have some good news and some bad news. I have the pictures, or some of them, that you are seeking of the artwork, but after 3 hours of hard looking through the Carpchives, they have not been found. I sacked the incompetent archivist but that has not caused the pictures to surface. However there is now an opening for an archivist for the Carpchives. The pay is poor, benefits nonexistent, the hours long, rewards, short, and job security . . ... well . .... ask the last looser. Other than that it's a great gig. . eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone posted pictures of the murals on a thread here just before the armory closed. Let's just say there was a lot of discussion about the, errrr, homoerotic nature of the works.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds nice. Investors will put $23 Million into a sweet historic building in Detroit. I would love to see it happen.
I have a basic question though. Having a 20 Mil investment into something means that they need to Gross at least $170,000 a month to break even or get a return on their investment. I don't see that many people bowling or boxing down there to make it profitable.

BTW - my grandparent donated that land it sits on to Detroit way back when.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lucky enough to take a tour through the Brodhead Armory when they announced that it was likely to be closed permanently. Beautiful woodwork and art!
Here's a link to the article published in the Detroit Art Deco Society's magazine a few years back:

http://www.daads.org/modern/11 01/brodhead.htm

Eaglelv
Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was stationed in Detroit as a recruiter in the late 80's we used to hold training inside the gymnasium. What a great building, the inside is full of Art Deco detail, it would be great if the building received some TLC.

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Attached you will find a link to additional
information about the Brodhead Armory on East
Jefferson.
http://www.detroit1701.org/Bro dhead.htm

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool building...I ran a few Belle Isle New Years Eve Runs and the race finished by the Armory.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6549
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carptrash, if you can get me a work permit, I'll apply, however it might be a bit of a commute...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures my wife took, probably on the same tour Kathleen was on:

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have a basic question though. Having a 20 Mil investment into something means that they need to Gross at least $170,000 a month to break even or get a return on their investment.

Fair points. The article does mention possible brownfield and historic tax credits, though. But yeah, $20 mil is still quite a bit.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW - permit is not problem around here it's not an issue. However if you can not show enough dedication to the task by putting up with a slight (1643 miles - more if you use Canadian miles or what ever they are called) commute, then you just are not the person for the job.

Oh yes, I'm glad some pictures showed up - mine have not. And yes, some of the murals were covered up for decades because the Service folks involved thought that there was a little too much Village People "In the Navy." eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekster

Gistok

Post Number: 6305
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that due to the vastness of the drill hall, it would make a good location for "Antiques Roadshow".

For those not familiar with the building, something like 70% of the building is a huge drill hall, behind which is a 3 or 4 story wing, which is a warren of service rooms, staircases, officers lounge, a battleship gray mess hall (with murals), etc. Many of the rooms have a spectacular views of the Detroit River and Belle Isle.

There is also a lawn terrace behind the building that has a lot of riparian potential.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rickinatlanta:

My father took me to the Armory to watch "big time" wrestling matches before Pearl Harbor. I could not believe the exquisite pain that some of those wrestlers endured. Remember, I was only 10 or 11. Through the eyes of babes.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Soon after it opened, murals with nautical themes were added by artists David Fredenthal and Edgar Yaegar as part of the Works Progress Administration’s Federal Arts Project. The WPA-FAP was a New Deal program to put unemployed artists to work creating public art."

It's to bad that fitness centers have a strong affinity towards wanting to put mirrors up on the walls of these types of places.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom,

I have Detroit News clippings of my Dad's fights there describing how in a couple of fights he dislocated a knuckle and fought most of that fight one fisted and still won! He wasn't alone in that many of the smaller boxers, he was a Bantamweight, were REALLY tough. Fighting was also their only way to make a decent living as well.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2770
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul: Most, if not all, of the beautiful paintings, carvings, and the like are in rooms and hallways off the main "gym" area, which is really quite big. I could see that being used for boxing practice and matches, so I don't see them covering up too much of it. In fact, those rooms could be offices or places where members congregate so maybe the walls would remain uncovered.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with K here. The murals that were covered up were not in the gym area. They were in the . . . private areas. However several of them were quite badly damaged by water. mold or general neglect and it would be nice if they were restored. eeeeeek

Gistok

Post Number: 6307
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish someone had a floor plan of the Armory to post, because if you haven't been there, the warren of rooms on multi-levels behind the drill hall (gym) become somewhat difficult to describe.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people who want to redevelop this also own the property apartments next door on Jefferson. In the back of my mind I think they may have other long term plans.

There is no way you can make money on boxing and bowling on a by spending over 20 million on a historic waterfront building next to Belle Isle bridge.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news on Detroit selling the Armory for 3 million.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/NavalArmory.jpg

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Text description

Text description

And heres some other work by Mr Yaeger:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/2008/02/_beverly_road_historic_distric.html

Mauser765

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops. heres third image:

Text description

Grizzly
Username: Grizzly

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can be a strange thing about human perceptions. In the mid-fifties I trained with the USNR at Brodhead and aboard the USS Tambor moored at the riverside - but I have no memory at all of these wonderful graphics. I guess I was just trying to keep my two left feet in step...

Mauser765

Post Number: 2568
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones I put up are in the rear banquet area and the kitchen. Perhaps you were not in these areas ? The other pics posted are from officers quarters/area - so you probably didnt hang out there either.

Grizzly

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, you are correct in that those areas were out of my purview. I didn't get into "officer's country" until I stopped being a weekend warrior and went active; I haven't been back inside Brodhead since.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle trained there before shipping out to Nam - he remembers that for $2, the cafeteria would make the best malted milkshake he ever had.

He also does not recall any of the artwork, so it must all be in areas for only "special" folks.

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grizzly,

Are you aware that the 40mm AA cannon and 5" deck gun from the USS Tambor are on static display at Fort Wayne?

(Not to get off topic, sorry.)

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the Tambor's periscope is at the Dossein Maritime Museum, in case someone did not know.

Grizzly

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usnsubvet77: tnx 4 the info!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos of the guns...Enjoy
-Subvet

Lefty2

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looked too good to be true.
Detroit sells it for 3 million, new owner gets a 20 million dollar loan. Give some money back to the Kilpatrick Gang maybe?, The saga continues.

excerpt:
The husband and wife development team of Kathy Makino-Leipsitz and Mark Leipsitz has announced plans to purchase the Broadhead Armory from the city of Detroit and convert it into a bowling, boxing and fitness center -- a $23 million investment.
The couple have built multifamily affordable housing in and around Detroit for many years. They also recently purchased the River Terrace, an apartment project immediately east of the armory.
"I bought my first building in Detroit in 1983," Makino-Leipsitz said Tuesday. "I've been in the area a long time. I love Detroit."
They have a lot of property in Detroit, including River Terrace, next door.
http://www.modeldmedia.com/inthenews/armory13108.aspx
No 4 on the picture
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/MULTI/80820006

(Message edited by lefty2 on August 20, 2008)