Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Best Jewish/Kosher Deli's « Previous Next »
Archive through February 12, 2008Gazhekwe30 02-12-08  12:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not in chicago yet.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve's or Plaza.

Going to LTU, both were always close by, as well as, there was a Deli on Greenfield, but I could never remember the name of it.

My first experience with Plaza was with a group of my fellow studio creatures, I got a Reuben, and got it "Deli Sized" for .25$ more. I swear, I thought I was going to fall into a food coma. That and the Quarter of Cinnamon Cake they gave me for patronizing them for the first time. Simply amazing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6295
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with both Bread Basket Deli (best sit down) and Star Deli (best carry out).

At the Star Deli they will whine and kvetsch with the customers and then tell you that they don't charge for the whining, it's free! :-)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zingerman's in Ann Arbor....they have a website...great deli...wonderful breads...they'll ship.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Star Deli is the real deal for sure.

Does anyone remember Ember's Deli in Rochester? It was in the old Meadowbrook Village Mall.

It was an authentic Jewish Deli - spot on with Star Deli (The good Corned Beef/Pastrami/Roast Beef/fresh seedless rye bread/russian dressing/slaw/pot salad/kreplach and Matzo ball soup etc..)

I worked there from 14 to 19. Started as a lowly Dish Dog, and made my way all the way up to cook. Those were the days. I never worked so hard for so little dough, but man was it fun. I learned a lot about life working there.

Unfortunately - the owner chose not to re-open when they knocked down the old mall to build the new one.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3913
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Ember's Deli in another location now? It seems like I saw it while driving around.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bread Basket isn't what it used to be.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to laugh when I went in the Star for some sandwiches a few years back, and the elder behind the counter was kvetching. He looked at me, sighed, and said, "Ah, my son, I could hit him in the head with a hard salami!"

It sounded like a pretty good fate to me, then you could give the guy the salami and tell him to go away till he ate it all.

Steves
Username: Steves

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't checked recently so I can't speak to the current state of the place or even if it's still in business, but for many, many years the standard by which all others were judged was Lou's Finer on 6 Mile Rd.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a deli virgin until I had my first ruben at Irving's in Hamtramck. No other deli came close until the Breadbasket. In a pinch I'll stop in at Gateway or Steve's.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an ember's in the strip mall at lahser and maple. Wasnt that great. Don't know if it is there anymore.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah... the Ember's at Lahser & Maple was OK when I was a kid. Years later it sucked.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly the guy who used to oven bread basket and his son had a deli in the back of the vineyards on northwestern hwy and i think i heard they have there own store front now near there maybe by where the intelligent chicken is across the street

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou's across from marygrove used to be so good when Lou was still working the counter. they used to have a conveyer belt to bring the sandwiches to the counter but is is horrible now. Also new york bagel in ferndale makes a good sandwich not sure about the other locations

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou's was the greatest. They had pix of all the employees. Do you remember Maureen, the redhaired waitress? We used to go there every week in the 70s.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I last lived in Detroit, more than 20 years ago, there was a deli near Greenfield or Southfield and NW Highway which had the word "Nosh" in its name. I went there quite often and if you asked for the CB or Pastrami sandwich "family style" it was almost impossible to eat. Anyone remember this place?

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhewke, Sid Neuman (owner of Star) is the Man!

J_stone

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also an Ember's Deli in Keego Harbor I believe. Same logo, but they weren't affiliated, at least in the later half of the 80's and beyond.

Is Fo Fo's Deli in Detroit still around? (I think it was called that)

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way off topic but I just realized something.
Mr. J_stone, is your first name Joel, and do I work for you?

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Fofo's? South of the Fisher building?

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stage Deli in West Bloomfield... hands down.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Star Deli does have really great tuna, Steve's Deli is pretty good, and Breadbasket is terrific. And in West Bloomfield, Stage and Deli Unique sit across Orchard Lake Road from each other.

J_stone, an authentic Jewish deli in Rochester?? Seems like an odd location (just given where Jews live). Then again, I ate at a really great Jewish deli one time at 14 Mile and Crooks! Who knew.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bagel Nosh! Another favorite, their blueberry cheesecake was awesome. It was on Ten Mile east of Evergreen, round windows. It's a beauty shop now.

Skulmaty
Username: Skulmaty

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have never tried the Star, but if it's anything like the Stage that used to be on 9 mile near Coolidge, I'm there.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plaza Deli was always reliable. They used to have a big cooler with every flavor of New York Seltzer in the 80s. I miss that pop.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7121
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Kosher/Bakery on Greenfield north of I-696 FWY. in Oak Park,MI.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms - your original post made me laugh! My in-laws live in Lander, Wyoming. My husband and I tried finding french bread that was actually eatable in Wyoming and have pretty much had the same results that you've had finding a deli in Park City, Utah. In face, we now refer to french bread that is identical to wonder bread as "Lander French Bread".

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zingerman's gets my vote, I've known Paul and Ari since their "Main Street Ventures."

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cornedbeef and coleslaw on Rye at Lous deli in Oak Park! Dont forget the mustard!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Pickle Barrel at 12 mile and Evergreen in the Evergreen Plaza shopping center? I ate there at least a few times a month, if not once a week with my parents in the 80s. We lived kiddie corner to it.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do! I miss the Pickle Barrel. They had great corned beef, and the desserts, oh my! We probably were in there at the same time. Didn't they put a nice jug of pickles on the table for us to nosh on while we waited?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sure did! Nice variation of old and new.

I remember it was owned by a married couple and they both had sketches of themselves on some windows towards the back of the restaurant and then they got a divorce and the wife's picture came off!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right! I think it wasn't long before they sold the place after that.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they shut down around the same time I moved out of that hood: 1991ish.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we switched over to the Breadbasket after that. It was soooo crowded though.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I remember the Pickle Barrel too; loved it. And I knew the owners, nice people.

Sportsfan
Username: Sportsfan

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigley's corned beef!Around the corner from them is a place that produces a wicked corned beef sandwich.Made with Wigley"s corned beef.mmmm...Were talking Eastern Market at it's finest!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wigley's... mmmm...

:-)

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Holly now, just north of Clarkston, and in Fenton, the next town to the west in Genessee County, there is a deli called the French Laundry that makes a wonderful Hot Pastrami on Rye with Russian dressing (my fav!). I remember the best ones were from a deli on Coolidge and 9 Mile - Katz's? - in Oak Park, but that was almost 40 years ago so I doubt if it is there anymore.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms, there was the Nosherie at Greenfield Rd. and Lincoln (10-1/2 Mile) in Oak Park. Used to be owned by Ron Forman. I remember my parents taking me there when I was a teenager.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if it's Jewish/Kosher, but I'm sticking with Eph McNallys.

Stromberg2

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hawthorne, your referring to the Breadbasket. It was always my favorite deli. When did Forman sell the place? I remember his daughter Bonnie working there from time to time. And who can forget Lovejoy?

J_stone

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster - Nope sorry.

Rel - That's it!

Atwater - I see your point, but it really was. The owner, although not Jewish himself, had previously worked many years at one, learning the trade.

Sharms

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couple of things....re the NOSH question I asked. I think Bagel Nosh might have been the one. It was close to Channel 7 where I worked. I am confused on how the whole Greenfield-Southfield-10 mile Rd thing came together..so my location is shaky. Great place though. And to those who have mocked the Utah cuisenne let me just say that I have never, at least in Utah, consumed lime jello. I'm not sure where that came from...maybe the Morman (LDS) community dinners. I'm not Morman and don't know about those culinary delites.

For those of us who have come west for whatever reason, we always miss what we took for granted as it relates to food from whence we came.

I started this thread because I had a jones for a real pastrami on onion roll with cole slaw and Russian dressing. I have to go to Vegas to get that. I miss the gut bombs created by White Castle (particulary after 2 am) I miss the way Vernors made you sneeze if you poured it into a glass.

Utah has a million restaurants, but no local identity re food. Salt Lake City does have an inordinant amount of locally owned hamburger stands that all seems to do well a provide a very good burger. But nothing here smacks of tradition....pretty much all american.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge, I lost track of the Nosherie when I moved away to college in 1974, but I'm pretty sure the Bread Basket Deli was a different place.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagel Nosh was on Ten Mile a block east of Evergreen, just west of the Original Pancake House.

I have been trying to remember where the Nosherie was, with no success. For sure, it wasn't the same place as the Bread Basket, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the same shopping center either, Greenfield and Lincoln. I went through my 1975 Metro Detroit Guide and it wasn't in there, but neither was the Bread Basket.

Sharms

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread, which I innocently started because of my longing for Jewish Deli style food out here in Park City, has forced me and my buddy to head out tomorrow morning for Vegas and visits to the Stage Deli in Caesars and the Carnegie in the Mirage. It's a 5-1/2 to 6 hour drive....but worth it......wish I could find a White Castle...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 747
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms-

Park City is exactly the kind of town that could support a deli, maybe you should start one.

Look at that guy who runs the Detroit Coney Island in Vegas ... he missed not having one so decided to start one in the desert.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCHNELLI DELI