Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » An Icy Winterblast Day in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4525
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A figure skater performs before a thin audience as the temperature plunges to single digits and the wind chills fall below minus 20 F. But the show goes on at Detroit's annual Winterblast.

Winterblast Detroit skater

The elegant Water Board Building overlooks the Winterblast ice slide.

Winterblast Detroit ice slide

Thin crowds in one of the many warming centers. This one covers the grass meridian south of the Compuware Building.

Winterblast Detroit warming center

A visit to the recently opened Enoteca Wine Bar in the First National Building with its excellent vistas on Campus Martius.

enoteca wine bar detroit

The beginings of the Griswold Parking Structure rises before the mighty Cadillac Hotel restoration. Originally planned with condos atop it, the condo project became a victim of the current housing crash.

Griswold Parking and Cadillac hotel detroit

The bleak Lafayette building shivers in the sub zero sun light.

Lafayette building detroit

The Whitney Mansion Restaurant, with obstructing vegetation thankfully whacked back and bereft of leaves, displays its magnificent lines.

Whitey Restaurant detroit

Next door, the rapidly rising South University Village advertises for occupants and promises spring occupancy.

South University Village Detroit

Two blocks away the ruins of the graceful century-old Forest Arms Apartments, destroyed by fire last week, tells its sad story with chilling beauty.

Forest Arms Apartments Detroit after fire

The Spirit of Detroit lives on in this ice sculpture at Detroit's Winterblast. Hey, at least nobody was concerned about the ice sculptures melting this year!

Ice Sculpture Winterblast detroit

Clayton
Username: Clayton

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Lowell!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Nice Lowell...thanks for the pics!!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks lowell, great to see Detroit thriving in the subzero weather. Forest Arms and Lafayette notwithstanding, of course.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pics, Lowell. Does the Whitney Mansion Restaurant use all three floors for dining? It seems this house has a big attic too.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11328
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that there is a bar on the top floor. I can't recall for certain if it is on the second or top floor

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i enjoyed myself there on sat night for a few hours, thought that the winter weather was perfect. wasnt there today though. it must have been very very very cold. good to see some people made it out.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7082
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics Lowell!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there on Saturday, and while the temps were bearable, it was still chilly with the wind whippin up Griswold from the river.

Don't even want to consider how cold it was Sunday. Too cold to think.

Great pix Lowell, thank you.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank for taking and sharing the pic's! Too bad it was soooo cold on Sunday, really hurt the Winterblast. I know the wife and I thought about going Sunday, but had second thoughts when we stepped outside.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Cool.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess they didn't get the "10's of thousands" of people they predicted.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 343
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on the news that the numbers were pretty good but only 15,000 people attended sunday. It was to be expected with temps that low.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there Saturday Night..Complete blast..The Reefermen had the Miller Rock Tent a Blazin, with Originals and Covers. We walked the grounds and everybody was having a Blast...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 390
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler- glad to see you out and about! now, only if we could get Crabby out!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4528
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mind you, I was there 1-3 PM, so I don't know if more gathered. The weather reports were woeful '50 mile an hour gust', -20 windchill etc., a giant 'stay home stay in' warning.

However the set up, with warming tents, meant that one never really gets too cold. One tent I wish I could have spent all weekend in was the film tent. I wish this whole menu could be youtubed.

Winterblast film series

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice tour, Lowell, as always. Sure don't miss Michigan weather in February, though. I spent half the day on the patio yesterday (the other half doing my taxes.)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed the pics, that is until I got to the Forest Arms Apartments. Then depression set in.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Blast was very well organized and run this year. Sunday's unseasonable near zero temperatures were really unfortunate for the organizers though. That certainly hurt attendance and revenues.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful!

Thanks L

<313>

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The video list is great. I found several of them here:

http://www.michiganhistoryvide os.com/html/view_videos.html

Indian History of the Thumb Region ends just as it gets from geology into the actual Indian history.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw this:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/ Detroit-News-Detroit/photo//08 0211/480/a092e70b95074734ade7e 4f53c73fde8//s:/ap/20080211/ap _on_re_us/winter_weather;_ylt=Ai04qrlStvrM.jxAw3qOtNlH 2ocA

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been gone for too long...

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Just what I need is a case of homesickness......

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6167
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice runs of photos. Thanks Lowell.
jjaba.