Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » St. John Berchmans « Previous Next »
Archive through February 12, 2008Russell30 02-12-08  7:39 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell- post some pictures!

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bernie's Bar

I hope this worked. I had the pictures professionally framed quite some time ago so I took pictures of the pictures. My father-in-law was the middle bartender in the first picture. My husband's Grandma and Mom are in the 2nd and 3rd picture!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the St John/Servite building is being used for now. It had a great gym and cafeteria. The parish hall was across the street on East Warren

Weather_dad
Username: Weather_dad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Servite in 1977. My family used to clean Bernie's Bar every sunday morning. The whole family used to get up at 3:30 am and clean the bar from top to bottom. My mother used to work in the kitchen.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421
The Town Tap
A shot of Kesslers and and a shell of beer for thirty five cents! Ahh the memories!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard, St John/Servite is now called Conlin Powell academy. It did have a great gym. One of the best in Detroit as far as playing basketball.It had springs in the floor. I went to Servite, graduating in 76. Drinking age senior year was 18. We spent quite a few days after school at Bernie's Bar. I think my grandparents lived at the Town Tap and Twilight Lounge. There was another bar somewhere by Eastlawn or Coplin on E. Canfield. I can't remember the name. In grade school at St John Bercmans, my dad called Bingo in the cafeteria and I pushed a cart around selling pop, chips, bingo markers etc. I can still hear the old women telling me to hush. My mother was involved with the Christian Mothers Sodality and Parish Counsel. She put on basketball games with the teachers and Detroit Lions at the time. Wayne Walker, Paul Nuemoff, Lem Barney etc. I got to be the ball boy. Jerry Hodak was the referee. We also had Big Time wrestling in the gym with Bobo Brazil, The Shiek, Flying Kangaroos, Midgets and Woman wrestlers etc. I think I still have pictures somewhere. We even had donkey basketball. As Seniors, we had a smoking lounge just outside the gym. Wasn't unusual to smell a little gonga on occasion. Can't imagine a catholic school today allowing smoking within a mile of the school. Weather_dad, did your folks pick up donuts at Durfee's Bakery next store to Bernie's in the morning?

Weather_dad

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Durfee's when ever possible, they had the best custard donuts. We used to live on the co4rner of warren and eastlawn, so durfee's was close enough to smell the baking.I had a lot of friends that graduated in 1976, did you know Tony Cavalli?

Servite76

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weather_dad, yes, I knew Tony and his sister Mary. Many of the kids who went to St John Berchmans also went to Servite as you may well know. Many also had siblings in other years that we also knew. I knew quite a few from the class of 77.

Weather_dad

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite 76, I grew up with tony, Bob Choiniere and all the other guys that went to St. Johns. I also pushed that cart around the bingo games, only when i did it I pushed it around the parish hall. Did you know a guy named Randy Hardy?

Limejasminelilac
Username: Limejasminelilac

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to school around the time of the families (excues the wrong spelling) Cavalli, Andrenan, White, Gutierrez, Lewis, Biondo, Pelliteir...... and knew the teachers Sr. Marcia, Sr. Marry, the late teacher Sister Elanore who passed away in the middle of a school year, so difficult on her classroom. Ms. VanTurnout, Miss Phillipew who hated being called MRS, oh and Mr. Parthum, gym teachers Mr Carrol and Ms DeRyke, In Servite there was Sr.Ermina in English who loved to talk and tell stories and had a passion for teaching us new vocabulary words, If you used them in front of her she really got a thrill, There were nuns who taught science I want to say Hildewgard or Hildebrant, Ray Lemay sing sing sing, Jazzy Jimmy white played awsome piano in Mr Lemay's religion class. Mr Ribant. I am sure I could think of some more. I use to live on the corner of Eastlawn and Forest behind the church's rectory.

Servite76

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weather_dad, I meant to get back sooner. I remember the name, but I can't place the face. Was he kind of a big guy? I don't mean that in a bad way. Limejasminelilac, wooof, I'm out of breath typing that one. I do remember all those teachers you mentioned. When I left St John Berchmans, Sister Rita Mary was principle. She was also principle when I graduated from Servite.

Weather_dad

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats me. I was very big ( in a bad way ) I'm not quite as big as I used to be. I used to hang out we Bob Choiniere, Tony Cavalli and a bunch of guys on the football team. I used to love Sister Rita Mary, everyone else hated her but not me.My favorite teachers were Mr. V and Mrs Golden.

Taj920

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mrs. Golden. I dont know if I remember right but I think she taught English classes, and her husband taught Science class.

Weather_dad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats right they both taught 9th grade. His name was Al, I can't remember what her first name was.

Caldreamn
Username: Caldreamn

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello to all...I just came across this page and was thrilled. I went to SJB 1st thru 8th and went to Denby HS...class of 76. My sister also went to SJB & Servite, class of 68. My favorite teacher was Sr. Mary Garinger Room 308. I read recently, she is now the superintendent of Catholic schools in Detroit. I also really liked Sr. Leonardo and Maurice, not to mention Mrs. Crabb & Mr. Doyle. Anyway, I too grew up on Eastlawn, between Canfield and Waveney (across from Hosmer School). Unfortunately, there is only on house left on the entire block.
I've lived in CA since 81, but get back to Detroit for weddings and funerals. I remember Oscars too.... I used to love to get comic books and ice cream cones there. I remember Tony Cavalli, We were in the same class. I think my brother in law lived across the street from him. The name Biondo is really familiar too...I think he may have been friends with my older brother. Regarding Servite being the Colin Powell Academy...I read somewhere they were moving to the old Bishop Gallagher HS campus, but I'm not sure how accurate that info is. Anyway, all for now....

Pgn421

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldreamn_ Welcome to the forum! Where in Cal are you living ? I used to live in the bay area. I went to Gallagher. class of 74.

Servite76

Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning class, Caldreamn, I'm sure I know you. I also attended SJB with Tony Cavalli. Boy, if he only knew we were talking about him. My first name is Charlie. I spent alot of time playing baseball on Hosmers field. One of my favorite teachers at SJB was Mrs. Crabb. Joanne was her first name. I think I have some pictures of SJB and Servite teachers somewhere. I'll try and upload them sometime. Weather_dad, I do remember you!! How are you?

Pgn421

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does the name Jack Carroll ring a bell with anyone? Coach?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is the same Joanne Crabb, there was a Mrs. Crabb at Our Lady Star of the Sea who passed away last year.

Wonderful lady who I am pretty sure is the same person

Taj920

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, I remember him. He was the grade school gym teacher. He was also the coach for basketball and football I think.

Pgn421

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I used to see him where he worked at Schober Printing. Real nice guy.

Caldreamn

Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry to hear about Mrs. Crabb's passing...she always reminded me of Joanne Worley from Laugh Inn.
Pgn421..I lived in Long Beach (south of LA) in the 80's. In 1990 we moved to Sacramento...It's a great place to live...100 miles west to SF, or 100 miles east to Reno or Lake Tahoe.

I have tried to upload some pictures, but continually get an error message stating the file is to large...does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong???

Servite76...My first name is Bob or Bobby...I'm trying to picture who you are. I wasn't much for baseball back then...but I hung out around Hosmer a lot during the summer playing dodge ball, hand ball and of course I was always there when they closed the street and opened the fire hydrant. Boy, I haven't thought about that in years.

Pgn421

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

caldreamn- ive been to Sacramento. i lived in Alameda,by Oakland, 1980-1990.then moved back to Detroit,

Weather_dad

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry but i don't remember you. Were you ever in any of my classes?. I went to hosmer for grade school then to Servite for high school. I saw Bob Choiniere not long ago and he told me Mr carroll was still looking really good.

Limejasminelilac

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were Parish Picnics in Utica or around there, and a fair with rides on the parking lot in the 70's, One girl at servite did mine with the painted face, often as part of Mass. There was the boy who did Nifty Martial Arts in a Talent show in the Gym. Another girl did dramatic dance in Mass. The priests were Father O'shea, Father Dan Mcarthy, then pair that come Fr. Jocumb with Fr. Jacob. I think one of them had palsy if I remember right.

Taj920

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Father O shea, but not the others. There was Father Healy, at SJB when I was really little. He was probably only in his 60's back then, but when you're 7, he seemed so ancient! I dont remember any parish picnics probably because we never went, but I do remeber the fall festival in the gym, and selling those raffle tickets door to door!

Caldreamn

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Fall Festivals too in the gym and cafateria...If I didn't win anything at the games in the gym, I could always count on the ducks in the water downstairs in the cafeteria.
I used to fare pretty well selling the raffle tickets, not so much because of my efforts, but my mom (who worked at Kavan's)sold books and books for me. I only remember one Fall Festival that had rides outside...I had already moved away from the neighborhood at that point, but still came back for Mass on occasion. I remember Fr Jocum (spelling?). He had a huge poster of Woodstock (the concert, not the bird) in his office. I visited him once at his parish in Chicago after he left SJB...I've often wondered what became of him. I remember Fr. Healy too...I was scared to death of him...I think it was because he was so old, or it could of been he corrected me (with his hand) for making the sign of the cross with the wrong hand.
I don't remember the picnics???

Maxcarey

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a series of pictures of St. John Berchman/Servite taken in late December 2006.

The cornerstone of the school:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3220/2313362810_1aa975a6ec_b. jpg

A closer view of the cornerstone:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3266/2312552209_15956f11e6_b. jpg

The view from Lakeview:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3098/2313362004_d1bddd2aab_b. jpg

The view from Forest:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3222/2312551461_c977b1e276_b. jpg

Servite:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3142/2313360958_d8bb02222b_b. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3047/2313356318_a1c5e47fdc_b. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3169/2312547021_673c458d18_o. jpg

This building was across the street from the old Servite on Coplin. Any idea what this building was? An old convent? Activities Center?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3122/2312546859_4da215fd26_b. jpg

(Message edited by maxcarey on March 06, 2008)

(Message edited by maxcarey on March 06, 2008)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nun's home

Taj920

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that was the convent. The rectory was on the corner on the other side

Weather_dad

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures maxcarey. thanks for the memories. The building across the street was the convent. I remember having a sewing in the convent one year during mini-cources. The last time i was by the convent it was a drug and alcohol rehab center. I too remember the priests who served at st. john. We used to visit the rectory when ever we were bored.I remember the time the rectory was robbed and fr. Manzo was shot. Fr O'Shea took a friend and I to Greenfield Village one summer Day, what a wonderful man.

Lakeviewmarket
Username: Lakeviewmarket

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My son has told me so much about this website! Just wanted to add that we lived on Lakeview & Canfield. My Dad was the butcher at Lakeview Market and my grandparents lived above the store. Went to both SJB and graduated from Servite in '72. So interesting to see the pictures of church and school, but so sad to see the surrounding neighborhood. Speaking of Durfee's Bakery... does anyone remember the "Dutchies" donuts they used to sell? What I wouldn't give to have one of those.

Servite76

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Lakeviewmarket. Maxcarey, great pictures. The picture that your're questioning is actually part of the school. The red door leads into the consession area off of the gym. The area above the doors with the little window is the stairway to the gym balcony. The double doors at the back are the entrance into the grade school.

Servite76

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1)Class reunion 1974-77 and 1965-1966 class
 SJB 65-66

This one makes me sad.

Taj920

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was the teacher for that 1965 class?

Caldreamn

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mancarey and Servite 76...Thanks for the great pic's. Was the teacher on the class photo Miss Perotti, who later became Mrs. Carpenter? She was my 3rd grade teacher. If I'm not mistaken, The principal pictured is Sr. Ambrose.

Welcome Lakeviewmarket! I remember your family. I believe your dad's name was Benny. I vaguely remember your grand parents having a beautiful garden in the yard behind the market. I also seem to remember your mom cooking in the room behind the counter...It always smelled soooo good!
Remember Mr Farrell who lived next door to the market...all the neighborhood boys got thier haircuts in his basement. I could go on forever....

Maxcarey

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are all most welcome.

If anyone would like a picture of the surrounding area of something that was discussed (or not discussed) please let me know and I will try to accomodate. I do not live terribly far from the area and photography is a bit of a hobby.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, thanks for recording these schools for us, Max. If you are near St. Juliana or St. Martin (Drexel & Averhill) , I would be interested in seeing those pictures.
I understand that Sts. Juliana and John Berchmans parishes were combined during their final years of existence.

Lakeviewmarket

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Caldream... my Dad's name is Bennie. He'll be 90 this year and lives close by to us in a Retirement home. My Mom, Lee passed away 3 years ago of cancer. My Dad is just so lost without her! They had a really great marriage! My Mom did cook in the back room as she worked beside my Dad in the store for many years! It was easier to have dinner there for all of us. I took my son back to my childhood home about 1 year ago and was so shocked to see what's become of our neighborhood. My grandmother was the gardener in the family and kept a beautiful flower garden behind the store, which is no longer there. The store burnt down many years ago. We had a fearful moment down there and I won't return again. But my son is a Downtown Detroit lover.. Yes, Mr. Ferro was a barber who lived next to the store. Both he & Mrs. Ferro are both deceased now.

Weather_dad

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember getting my hair cut by Leo the barber/plumber in his basement.

Limejasminelilac

Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone recognize this from that neighborhood?
Love Is All You Need Garage

Maxcarey

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that is awesome.

Weather_dad

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks familiar, was that on the garage door of the house on the corner of Eastlawn and Forest?

Limejasminelilac

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weather_dad, that's the one. See the satellite map of the old neighborhood at http://maps.google.com and put in the address of the old rectory 4820 Lakeview St, Detroit, MI 48215 then click on button to get the satellite view and zoom all the way, see the streets, the houses, the yards. Click and hold down the button and move the mouse around to move around the neighborhood or use the arrows.

Caldreamn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeview Market…I’m sorry to hear of your mom’s passing. I remember both of your parents and they were both so nice. One thing I remember in particular is, as I got older they treated me like a young adult, which I really appreciated. It seems I was in that store at least once a day…If I wasn’t picking up something for my mom…I would be getting a YooHoo for myself.. Great memories….

Caldreamn

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limejasminelilac....Great photo! I don't remember seeing that before...how old is that picture?
Wow that satellite view is too cool...I've been Googling for years and never realized it was there....I just virtually cruised down E. Warren from Chalmers to Connor. Looking down on the address where I grew up was like being in an airplane going over farm land...awesome, but sad at the same time.

Lakeviewmarket

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caldreamn... thank you for the kind words about my parents. I'll be sure to tell my Dad about your comments.

Do they even sell "YooHoo" anymore?
Wasn't it some kind of chocolate drink?

I'm sure that I probably know you or your family.

Limejasminelilac

Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beatles Yellow Submarine was on this garage from the late 70's early 80's.

Caldreamn

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeviewmarket...I still love YooHoo! I don't know about MI, but they still sell it here in California. We used to joke about it...it was like drinking chocolate water :-)
We lived right around the block from you on Eastlawn, halfway between Canfield & Waveny...right across from Hosmer. My last name is Poplawski....everybody called me Bobby...I went to SJB thru 1972, but went to Denby for HS…class of 76.. My older sister, Vickie went to SJB & Servite, you may remember her, although she graduated in 68. Do you ever hear from Mr. Ferro's daughters? I think their names were Rosie and Mary Ann (guessing??). I remember Rosie had her own salon on Canfield and Chalmers.
This forum has me thinking about events, places and people I haven't thought about in years.

Taj920

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Millers store near the school? How about the Ashland bump? That was near burns park.

Pgn421

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ashland bump was south of jefferson.i used to get airborne in my 1967 camaro

Servite76

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920, I would stop at Miller's everyday after school and get my baseball cards and wax teeth. lol. Burns Park was further west down Jefferson. In high school, we use to go down there at night after basketball games or just to hang out on the weekend. Another spot we would go to was the Belle Isle casino. Did somebody say "Lets go streaking"

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thought i try and bring back this thread. i went to SJB but only until 5th grade and my sister 7th grade (she's in the class picture servite76 posted) we moved then went to queen of peace in harper woods. my two older sisters went until graduating from servite.

does anyone remember the lockers that went up the stairs that lead to the upper balcony of the church? i thought is was cool to get a locker there. i never did.

how 'bout sister winifred. i had her for 1st grade and remember seeing her sleeping at her desk and just wondering when she would wake up. she also used to sell school supplies in that closet/storage room.

i'm not sure if it was mentioned before but i remember standing in line in the hall waiting for our sugar cubes with what i believe had the polio vacine. couldn't wait to get that cube!

my dad also worked at vanlebergh to make extra cash. he'd pick up a few dead bodies i was told.

Pgn - did you also go to SJB then to BG? same here with myself and my sister she's was class of '75 and i was '77 as mentioned in the other thread.

Servite76

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2, I was on the planning committee for the reunion. What was your sisters first name? I'm the last guy standing to the far right in the Servite reunion picture, and my sister is the last girl on the far left.

(Message edited by Servite76 on July 08, 2008)

Maof2

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite, my sisters name is Theresa. She's in the SJB school picture. She's the one right below the picture of the school (center). We moved in 1970 so she only attended until the 7th grade. I have two sisters that graduated from Servite. One in 1968, the other in 1972.

Taj920

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the football games for SJB at Corrigan Park??
How about the cafeteria food? Remember the cookies?

Taj920

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Sister Winifred myself. I also had her for first grade. My sisters had her as well. I do remember that you had to behave in her class or you spent time under her desk. I think one kid must have had a seat under there!!

Servite76

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920, I might have been that kid. I had Sr. Winifred for first grade. Hope I wasn't in the dumb room. Boy's restroom was just outside her door. I played football 7th & 8th grade and all our games were at Corrigan. I liked the cafe food. Meatloaf, Beef barbeque and the cookies were great. I think Mrs Pohl made them.

Maof2

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj - I absolutely remember the cookies - chocolate chip - they were the best. And the little chocolate milk containers - loved 'em. What year did you graduate?

Taj920

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated in 77-I thought Mrs. Pohl was the dietician. I didnt think she cooked.

Maof2

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj- I went to SJ until 5th grade then went to Queen of Peace in Harper Woods and graduated from Bishop Gallagher in 1977 so we may have known each other. I'll throw a few names out that I remember, Bob Chinere, Denise Angott, Claire O'Connor, Chris Kennedy, Cathy Chippo.., ohh, can't remember anymore right now. I'll have to look for my old report cards (yes, I still have them)because we used to sign the envelope they came in.

Taj920

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember all those names so I probably did know you. Too bad they didn't have grade school yearbooks then like they do now.

Maof2

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj - first name is Jane. I have a sister that was 2 years ahead of me in the class picture that Servite76 posted. She's the one right below/center of the school. Her name is Theresa. Ring a bell? I had Sr. Winifred for 1st grade, Sr. Ursula in 2nd (she slapped my knuckles with a ruler for not writing my letters properly). Miss Perotti in 3rd and in 5th, I had the tall female teacher with the dark hair, I can't remember her name or who I had in 4th grade. I'll have to dig through my box of "sentimental" stuff,

Taj920

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2-first name is Sharon-it's funny I can remember those teachers names, but I cant remember which one I had for 2nd grade!!

Maof2

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked my report cards and there is a Sharon that signed it! I'm sure you are the same Sharon and I'm trying to remember your last name. Geez it's been 38 years but sometimes my long term memory is better than my short term memory! Does your screen name have something to do with your last name?

Taj920

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2-My screen name is different. I don't remember signing any report cards though. Your sister's picture does not look familiar to me, but the picture isn't clear, and I can't tell who most of the kids are! I had Sr. Leonardo for 4th grade, and Sr. Maurice was also a fourth grade teacher. I remember her walking up and down the aisles making sure every student made their handwriting letters correctly! The teacher you were referring to was Mrs. Crabb I think. She was not my homeroom teacher though. I had Mrs. Bondy and Miss Filipew.

Maof2

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i looked over my reports cards again and i had sr. collette in 4th and 5th grade. i remember ms. filipew and mrs. crabb. i also remember sr. maurice and for some reason, i'm picturing a "5 o'clock" shadow on her! anyway, it's fun trying to jog our memories. did you ever keep in touch with anyone? when i lived in SCS, i ran in to cathy chipp...at a store near us and come to find out, she lived a few blocks away. also, across the street, there was a hakim that moved in right before we moved. i can't remember her first name. when i moved here to harrison twn., i ran into jeanine george. we both looked at each other and finally figured out that we went to grade school together. small world.

Taj920

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny you mention the five o clock shadow!! Now I remember it too. Someone mentioned on this thread that Mrs. Crabb taught over at Star, and that she passed away about a year or so ago.

Stonegis
Username: Stonegis

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite76, I think I remember you. I went to SJB from 1st thru 7th grades. All of the names are familiar that are mentioned above.

Does anyone know where I can get any class pictures? I don't have anything.

Servite76

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stone, Is that your last name? I grew up on Algonquin & Canfield than moved to Kensington between Southhampton & Frankfort.

Stonegis

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite 76, My last name was Kowalczyk. I grew up on Marlborough between Mack & Chalmers.

Servite76

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stonegis, 1st initial is D? I think I remember you.

Stonegis

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite 76, Are your initials CR?

Servite76

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, very good. How are you?

Stonegis

Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am good. Moved to East Detroit in about 72' and graduated from there. I work in downtown Detroit so I drive by the old neighborhood from time to time. How about you? Do you still see anyone from Servite?