Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Forest Arms fire « Previous Next »
Archive through February 06, 2008Danny28 02-06-08  9:01 am
Archive through February 06, 2008Chitaku30 02-06-08  11:33 am
Archive through February 06, 2008Warrenite8430 02-06-08  9:07 pm
Archive through February 08, 2008Andylinn30 02-08-08  3:17 pm
Archive through February 12, 2008Alley30 02-12-08  9:47 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Tonyt
Username: Tonyt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois-

Hey, please don't start being the police of what is and isn't appropriate, this is a public forum and open to all walks of opinion.

No, the word was they were going to go to California and try and run Amsterdam from there. That doesn't seem like a business move that someone in financial trouble would be in. On top of that, during the interview she said they were doing very well after the rocky first year. I am putting into question the level of commitment that they really had for the city and the area, especially when you juxtapose Halley's interview with Brad's interview.

You're right, I didn't lose anything in this fire and I'm not sure how composed I would be, but that said I'm a thinking human being who questions things. I question things like "what does water do to a $7,000 espresso machine?" and I realize...not a whole hell of a lot when I do a simple google search on people who have been in the same situation.

But she seems very flaky like I said. I was just making a comparison between the way Brad sounded and the way Halley sounded and I said that Brad seemed far more upbeat than she did and that her answers seemed prefabricated defensive answers as if she's already defending their decision to leave even though they claim they're undecided.

Alley- the water came down the walls and a minimal amount directly from the ceiling.

Tonyt

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, like I said in my OP. I didn't mean this to start some sort of flame war or something but I just was mildly irked and suspicious of genuine good intent for the area and the city.

What I'm really concerned about is that if they're planning on leaving and have been, but receive donations from people who are hoping they're reopen in the area.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 728
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd agree with that last post tony.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11586
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Tonyt.

Good point...why help them close and move?

Your comments were clearly stated, at least I understood them...but I didn't have that emotional filter getting in the way.

Amazing how a simple observation can lead to a shitstorm, isn't it?!

Cheers, anyways!

Tonyt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

Yeah I figured it would lead to a bit of a shitstorm with some folks, but like I said, I really just meant to give my observation of the situation.

I'm not far removed from the situation either. My apartment and car was blocked in by fire trucks that morning, so I'm very close to the area and that's why I am taking so much interest in it.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 650
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hardly say that was a "shitstorm" I just feel that your statements are too swift, meaning that the fire was last week, and I personally feel it wasn't appropriate, now, as astutely noted I am not the police of appropriateness but I have just as much right to put my two cents in as you do to post what you posted. And I hardly doubt that Halley would be so unethical as to take donations if they were not planning on reopening. Have some faith in people its easy.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amsterdam would not accept credit cards!
I spoke with the owner about the importance of making your business available to all customers.
I was told that credit cards were not in Amsterdam's interest.

What kind of business in this day/age/economy would turn away customers who want to spend money?
It was a bad financial decision.

But...People's swiped my credit card many times.
And I kept going back because I could pick up some vintage vinyl and be out the door without having to go to an atm first.
Now those guys know how to run a business!
Keep up the good work.

6nois

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Credit cards are expensive for small businesses in which charges are less than $5. To have the machine you the business pays a service charge and there is a charge for each swipe, so if the amounts that costumers buy is small less than $5 the majority of the money from those purchases is not earned by the business but by the credit card company. Thats why you don't see credit being taken at many small independent coffee shops and places like that because they would loose more money on it than they would make allowing customers to pay with credit.

Tonyt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, I will definitely make a distinction. What Iddude just said...totally unhelpful and nitpicking.

What does it matter at this point and how is that helping the dialog? I actually found it kind of refreshing there was still somewhere that didn't accept CC's. There's a pretty decent chunk of change taken out per transaction with CC's for small businesses.

I do have faith in people 6nois but I'm not going to be so naive as to think that something like that wouldn't happen. I think there was a weird air in her voice and that she was being flaky because she already knew what their decision was prior to the fire. If that's the case they should be mature enough to bow out of the spotlight and channel the donations to folks who are invested in the city.

Yes the fire was just last week but here we are with a forum and an open thread discussing it. Was it too soon to start the thread then?

Brad of People's certainly didn't sound as if it was too soon for him to be making moves. He said in the interview that the day of the fire he made three buys on records, as in he was operating that day.

Apples to oranges I know with a cafe to a record store, but his attitude was much more positive and I appreciated that.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many/most independent businesses in the city are cash only. I've just grown used to carrying a few bucks with me everywhere I go. Granted, Amsterdam probably would have pulled in a few more customers by taking credit cards, but that in and of itself should not have put them under in this neighborhood.

(Message edited by bearinabox on February 12, 2008)

6nois

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing that bothers me Tony is that a presumption is being made off of an interview, who knows what was going on, how she was feeling, and what will happen. Its wonderful that Brad has shown such strength, but there are many different types of people. I would say give her donations and help, give them a chance to try to rebuild. If there is not intention to rebuild and she took the money and went to California it would seem me that would be fraud, but in all the times I have met her and talked to her I don't think she would do that, so give her and her spouse the time they need to try and rebuild. I live by this quote "I would help 100 people in need even if 99 of them were frauds just to make sure the one who wasn't got the help they needed."

Tonyt

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah for sure.

I really hope they stay.

Mcraven
Username: Mcraven

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of...wow i just found this site and am amazed with the concern and compassion, as-well as the amount of info being posted.

I worked for Amsterdam and I am confused why people feel the need to spread rumors about things that are very personal to the owners and employes at the shop, the bottom line is the owners did put everything they had into this business and are emotionally spent. Yes they were thinking about going away for a while, for personal reasons that are no business being talked about on a public blog. second they were leaving the shop for the employes to run, because they know how much the shop meant to the community, something they are very proud of.
sure we weren't the most organized/ professional business but we cared about the area, something that detroit needs more of, at this moment, i hope people will focus on positive things we did. whether you like them or not, they did more for Detroit, than most. tonyt you are assuming a lot of things, maybee you should think to yourself how are my opinions helping anyone involved in this fire, and to allude that the owners don't love this city, and that this city doesn't need people like them is shortsighted and ignorant. you dont know about their financial situation, what was damaged, or how much it would cost to reopen, and the time that would take. As for any donations, if any come in im sure they will use it to relieve debt from the business, and pay the employes recent wages that we were unable to bring in after closing.

That said, thank you all for your positive comments about the shop, i spent two years of my life there, and met amazing people and made friends i will cherish the rest of my life.

i am sad i wont see all the great people in the area as much and i hope you are all doing well.

mcraven

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't anything posted on the Hilberry Theatre Benefit for the Forest Arms fire victims:

The Hilberry Theatre presents this special benefit performance of Biloxi Blues on Saturday, February 9 at 2 p.m. In addition to this special performance, monetary donations for the students will be accepted starting Thursday, February 7, 2008 through Saturday, February 9, 2008. The Hilberry Theatre is one of the official drop-off sites for any monetary donations for this cause.

Student tickets will be available at the door for a $10 donation. General admission tickets are available for a $30 donation. The Hilberry Theatre box office is open Tuesday - Saturday from 12 p.m. - 6 p.m.

http://www.media.wayne.edu/200 8/02/07/wayne-state-begins-for est-arms-disaster-relief

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11610
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,

Wasn't February 9th sometime in the past?

UGH. Would've been nice to see this show, too.

Cheers.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget about the benefit at Atwater tonight!

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's article in the Freep about the fire.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080218/NEW S01/802180365

Alley

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt anyone will ever really know if this was an accident or intentionally set. Either way, it's too bad for everyone that lost anything to the fire!

Andylinn

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last night there were, ironically, among the pile of rubble, 2-3 smoke detectors either going off or giving the "low battery" warning

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping this topic back to the top. I had an article written about my project to photograph the victims of the Forest Arms Fire in this weeks MetroTimes. I'm having trouble right now getting in touch with victims, Ive only taken about 10 portraits thus far. Please contact me if you know anyone who might be interested or if there is someone who I should get in touch with. Thanks.

Read the article here:
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=12490

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In some ways it might be more effective to follow a small number of the displaced residents rather than trying to do a 'snapshot' of all 100 resdients--you just might be able to better focus on more in depth stories rather than just skimming the surface of a larger group. Just my thought.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally got around to posting my photos. The sunny day ones are from 2.23.2008 (Saturday). The aerials are from Cathedral Tower (east Hancock).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2344/2288549329_fa954ff707_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2274/2288549207_e280c5f23e_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3082/2288549151_759edd488e_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2165/2288549117_4d55159f5d_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3030/2288549277_e3454bc218_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3026/2288507087_a198ce5130_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3154/2289296138_b7f697c2b1_o. jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com /3118/2288507181_ae8a5c0d68_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2230/2288507355_c78a2893d5_o. jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com /2121/2288507303_b097d05dee_o. jpg

Alley

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great pics, what kind of camera do you use?

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any ideas about what the fate of the building will be?

Andylinn

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

traffic jam owner looking into purchase and renovation... that's the word on the street.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news. (crosses fingers)

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. If it is at all possible to rebuilt with the original facade, it seems the positive attention and WSU community support would help it get off the ground again.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

saw the lawyer for the owners at the city council meeting asking for a delay on a demolition order. They claim they are looking into doing repairs and just need some more time.

What I never understood is once they erected that awning why not open the door? It was up for years before they opened. I grew up in retail and had my grandfather paid for a sign and installed it, we would have had the front door open the next day. If only to pay for the sign.

I and my kids miss the place. It was one of the few places in the neighborhood that my 10 year old son was allowed to ride his bike alone.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demolition order? The apartment building on Pierson Street adjacent to Rouge Park in Warrendale has been a burned out hulk for over a year with no demolition in sight. How can the city issue a demolition order for the Forest Arms after just a matter of weeks?

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess they don't want to scare away all the white suburban kids that go to Wayne.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"traffic jam owner looking into purchase and renovation... that's the word on the street."

I heard the same thing. I also heard that city council removed it from the dangerous buildings list. Any news on this or other details on the future of this building?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have pics of the Forest Arms as it stands today?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5665
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did they ever determine the cause of the fire to be?

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a tenant was getting evicted, so he locked himself in his room and started the place on fire. Apparently he was unstable. Here are my pics (kind of after the fact but still).

http://picasaweb.google.com/pa trick.batemen/ForestArmsBurns

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7286
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that people will b\do destructive things to get what they want. The best you can do is WATCH OUT OR AVOID THE WATCH OUT.

Andylinn

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it kind of appeared that this building was on the "Detroit 50" list... is that true? the Freep's image was WAY to blurry to make it out for sure...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the Forest Arms isn't one of the 50 that has been named publicly.

Tonyt

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news lately on the buildings fate?

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lived at Forest Arms way back, 1969/1970. Sad to see it sit behind the No Trespassing sign, broken.
Any recent news on its fate?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Ma inSite/Listing/Profile/Profile .aspx?LID=16019982&acode=20090 1110742081461476710420911&Step ID=101&RecentlyViewed=true&Ite mIndex=18&PgCxtDir=Down

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: