Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Northland Center « Previous Next »
Archive through January 05, 2008Gazhekwe30 01-05-08  10:32 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some historic detail:

1954 Austrian-born Victor Gruen designed Northland, near Detroit, with 110 stores in 1,192,000 sq. ft. on 2 levels, in a cluster arrangement surrounded by parking lot, modeled on the agora, the town squares of ancient Greece. "Gruen, a refugee who had fled the Nazis and arrived in New York in 1938 with $8 in his pocket and little more than his T-square in his luggage, had worked on some of those early open-air shopping centers. Then Detroit's J. L. Hudson department store chain commissioned him to design a center 8 miles away from its flagship downtown store to take advantage of the recent suburban developments spawned by the city's postwar expressways. In 1954, when it opened, the Northland Center was the world's largest shopping mall." (US News 12/27/99)

http://history.sandiego.edu/ge n/soc/shoppingcenter.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Around 1960, when we were living in the UP, we laughed about Detroit being in shock when it was -13 overnight. We thought Detroiters were being wimpy. But the bear, pictured above, actually raised several inches off the pavement that night from the cold."

Yeah, and we laugh at Miami folks faces today crying at 60 degree temps. -13 isn't really TOO bad.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5912
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professor Scott, classic with "one-off project" comment. HOF! Did Fords make the mono-rail for Fairlane Mall? jjaba liked the way it rolled right into the Hyatt bldg. like a magical ride.

There was reference about a Penobscot Tower Sundae. How many other Detroit references were used at Northland such as Maurice Salad, etc.?

jjaba with Green embossed Hudsons card at gift wrap.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad thought putting stuff away today, found a marshall fields box. had to think that it wasn,t from chicago and fields is gone too.. got me thinking about going to northland.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy & Leoqueen,

I believe the name of the chinese place was called the Ming Palace. Went there with some relatives, I think it was after church. Cousin got frog legs. I asked what did they taste like? Answer was chicken and I got brave and tasted one. Sure enough it did. I was a kid then.
Don't remember what section of the mall it was in. I just know this was way before the mall was enclosed and you came in from the outside. Went to Bigboy's many times too with my Mom. Always got a Bigboy combo w/salad and fries and an orange drink. Mom always got a Brawny Lad and still does when we go there every now and then to the Bigboy's on Michigan in Dearborn

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am quite surprised to see all of the stores they have listed. It is almost scary to see the question, "What stores would you like to see at the mall?"

http://www.shopatnorthland.com /search.php

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the late 50's-early 60's, didn't Hudson's put a giant igloo outside in the Northland parking lot to make a Santa land?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blueidone, I loved your story. I'm sorry you miss your mom.

If my mom goes before me I will hate it.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 505
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

130 stores, although they have Macy's listed several times for separate "stores" more like departments. Not too shabby however.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_Main, looking at that list of stores, I can't believe that some of the same stores I went to as a kid in the 1970's are still there (I'm thinking especially Northland Coney Island and Otto's Crispy Corn...lol)! I remember Sneakers and Cleats -- One of the sales guys would always flirt with my sister. I also remember the green Hudson's charge card, and that it was replaced by a beige card when Hudson's changed its logo. This brings back a not-so-fond memory of working in the "upscale" section of the women's department in Hudson's Northland the summer after I graduated from college. All I know is that I provided much better service than I get at Macy's nowadays...

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a mention of Brothers Restaurant/Deli in an earlier post. I loved that place. I was very young, but I remember those overstuffed deli sandwiches. I've been to a hundred delis since, but that was my first. Great place

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6079
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ming Palace was at the north end of Northland. I was there a few times circa 1978-80. Worked for a few years at the Michigan Bell Northwest Office Center at Northwestern & Southfield.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5924
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Brothers go down?

After Krogers, it was replaced by JC Penney. Is that the Dollar Store now?

jjaba.

Reddog289

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when did jc penney leave? i think when they opened [penneys] they had a big soap star there.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JC Penney left in 2000 or 2001.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 987
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that there was a Record shop located to the right side of the Bear, bought my first Rolling Stones and Temps 45s there, and found the Seeds first (and maybe only) LP in the 'discount' bin. We used to ride our bikes through N'land on Sundays (wasn't open then) before it was...ugh...enclosed.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall visiting Northland in 89-90 as the woman I was with at the time was a manager at the Limited ladies clothing store before she transferred to another mall. The mall was often packed to capacity, with crowded stores and restaurants overflowing with customers. Northland was the only mall that my girlfriend, who was black, wasnt comfortable holding my hand or showing affection out of fear of a negative reaction from the patrons,of whom the overwhelmingly majority were black. There ended up being, a large police presence at the mall because of the young rowdies creating chaos.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's one of the worst Mall Web sites I've ever seen!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6844
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ming Palace! Ahhh, thanks for answering my question there, Gistok. For the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of the place but I still remember the front of the place.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprised noone mentioned bfore the center opened on Sundays when dads(mine) would take their teenagers on the parking lot for a little drivers ed w/the family sedan. Ours was a 55 Chysler Windsor Dluxe. Also remember seeing the great Sugar Ray Robinson at Northland. He was way past his prime but had a fight coming up at the Olympia & had a ring set up on the parking lot& a trailer. Used to buy a lot of clothes at VanHorn's. Thought there clothes were very "in"

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've discussed Summit Pl. Mall to death on this forum, but I have little knowledge of malls like Northland & Southland. I would love to hear about the current status of Southland Mall & see any pictures anyone might have.

W_6_mile

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northland is still Michigan's largest mall.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath...thanks for your comments. Value every day you have with your mom (and dad). Never forget to tell them how much you love them and appreciate them. My dad is still with us...92 and going strong. As a machine salesman back in the 50's and 60's, he would frequent the "Scotch & Sirloin" which was just across 8 Mile from Northland. One of his favorite "watering holes" for entertaining customers.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor ole Westland Mall...doesn't get a mention here even though a city is named after it!

W_6_mile

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westland Mall has a Panera Bread and a Macy*s. How is that for a mention? :-)

Cmubryan

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westland and Southland are faring much better then their older sisters (Northland and Eastland). Both malls are almost fully occupied with mostly national retailers and a diverse customer base.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blueidone--your Father must have seen Bernie Katz, the piano wizard who presided over the keyboard at the Scotch and Sirloin for years. Great guy, I miss him--crazy as he was!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman: Next time I talk to Dad I will ask him. I don't remember that place much, but I do remember him taking us to Larco's when it was by U of D...and Palumbo's (on 8 Mile, I think).

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the Stouffer Hotel geographically? First time I actually got to Northland I'm pretty sure it had been demolished--so all I know of it was from the Detroit Ruins tour on this site--was it on JL Hudson Drive near the Plaza Hotel? I know there is what appears to be a vacant plot of land in that area.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fast, here is a link to where it was: http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&t type=&q=JL+Hudson+Drive,+South field,+MI+48075&sll=37.0625,-9 5.677068&sspn=37.052328,88.769 531&ie=UTF8&ll=42.446721,-83.2 03996&spn=0.00211,0.005418&t=h &z=18&om=1&layer=c&cbll=42.448 003,-83.200428

It was just to the southeast of the mall, opposite area from the Plaza Hotel.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4447
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Northland soon after it opened. It was an excursion for some sort of church activity achievement. A bunch of us smalltown kids from Perry were packed into one car and headed down old M5 [Grand River] which was a three lane highway back then. [The center lane was a neutral passing lane that could be used by either side and had a risky-scary feel. What if both sides decided to pass at the same time?]

Of course, to us bumpkins, it seem really BIG. It was so new. I remember that a lot of the landscaping was not complete, just mud and fresh concrete everywhere, and absolutely jammed with shoppers.

Hudson's was full of wonder, so much that I got separated from the others and lost. I don't know how I found them, it took a lot of time, but I remember feeling immensely alone.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, back then wasn't Grand River US 16?

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link cmubryan. The long vacancy of that hotel has always been a mystery to me. It looked like it could have been viable. It's footprint is still pretty obvious in that sat photo--guessing that's the little porte cochere driveway that still intact.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the first "big adventures" I took shortly after getting my driver's license in 1974 was driving "all the way" from rural Shelby Twp. to Stouffer's Northland Inn to have Sunday brunch at the top-floor restaurant.

I was such a bumpkin then, I thought I was at the Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center. Being the sheltered goyim that I was, I had never seen items like blintzes & lox on a breakfast buffet.

Like Stouffer's Eastland, the Northland Inn definitely had that old Fox & Hounds- style "country club" vibe. Lots of dark wood paneling, tudor, and brass lighting fixtures. I'm sure it was considered quite swanky when it opened.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I notice is how much malls seem to be a big part of your lives in Metro Detroit. I grew up in the suburbs here in Toronto, and yes I remember going to the mall once in a while with my mom. But it does not seem like as big an event as it was for you guys.
We had a local restaurant called Summerfields in our mall that I would go to with my mom. But other then that, mall shopping was not like a weekly event with the parents or anything, as it seems to be with you guys.

You guys shop alot :-)

I wonder if Southland and Westland have faired better, because they are not located in the core metro area and are far from new major malls like Sommerset, etc.

(Message edited by miketoronto on January 10, 2008)

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike--you can chalk Northland and Westland's continued health to a whole bunch of factors--demographics, geographics, tenant mix, etc. Westland and Laurel Park have cornered the market in the Livonia end quite effectively. Southland has the distinction of being the only center in the Metro area which is south of I-94--and General Growth Properties has been consistent in investing in the property--dare I say that Southland has been a benefactor of some of the changes that have occured at Fairlane.

The coolest mall restaurant y'all had in Toronto Mike was The Village Loft which was on the second floor of Eaton's at Yorkdale--overlooking the court below--very cool, modish place that received little in the way of remodelling over the years.

I think part of what you experienced growing up in Toronto was a development lag--the mall building boom in Detroit was 60s into the 70s--while Toronto's suburban mall boom occured about a decade later. Promenade, Woodbine, Pickering, Upper Canada, Erin Mills, etc were all 80s/90s developments--with the other stalwarts like Sherway, STC, Square One and Fairview being 70s creations. The only malls in T.O. to really stretch back in time are Yorkdale and the now deceased Don Mills. Don Mills, like Northland and Eastland having been born as an outdoor centre, and later being enclosed.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman-- Yes, Grand River was US-16 through there until circa 1962, when the entire designation was removed in Michigan after the last parts of I-96 were finished.

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"[The center lane was a neutral passing lane that could be used by either side and had a risky-scary feel. What if both sides decided to pass at the same time?] "

Lowell - we called 'em "suicide lanes". Driving from Huron Co. (down VanDyke) us ignrnt yokels eventually hit the 3-laner, lotsa phone poles leaning in different directions. Early 1950's sophistication...<sigh>

Cmubryan

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other Northland related news, the former Ramada Inn turned Southfield Inn on Nine Mile is being auctioned off next week at a minimum price of 4 million something. It now sits vacant.

That place was quite the swanky palace when it was built in the 70s as well, originally a Sheraton. I guess the bar in the hotel, Yesterdays was the place to be seen back in the day.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Burnsie. I didn't realize it was that long ago.

Reddog289

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i grew up northland was the big mall, then fairlane opened, having been from garden city/NW Detroit. i can say once my grandparents left Detroit in 87, i rarely went to Northland. Livonia mall is another place with most other malls having multible dept stores my mom and grandma would go to fairlane or 12 oaks, even when my grand parents were in detroit on a saturday night in the 80,s my uncle would take my out to 12 oaks for something to do. i guess detroit by day novi by nite.

Elevator_fan
Username: Elevator_fan

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan:

The Ramada Inn did not start life as a Sheraton. That was its second incarnation. It opened as the Shiawassee Hotel. See: http://www.playle.com/listing. php3?RHEAV2026

I seem to recall it being originally built/owned by Sylvia Gershenson, whose husband William built the Ponchartrain Hotel.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5941
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Michigan Inn?
jjaba.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 510
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's back to being the Plaza Hotel. Check out their website: http://www.plazahotelsouthfiel d.com/

Gotta love the misspellings, which I e-mailed them about weeks ago.

Definitely not a premier hotel anymore. They even advertise "special month to month prices" with weekly housekeeping which is definitely not indicative of your typical hotel. Flophouse?

Cmubryan

Post Number: 511
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elevator,
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea. So when did Sheraton take it over? Then how long did they have it before they took over the Michigan Inn?

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to Northland EVERY Saturday when when I was 16-17 years old to attend Weight Watchers meetings that were held in the basement conference rooms. Of course, after the weigh in and meeting I would roam around the mall, taking in all of the stores especially Hudson's. This was before it was covered over.
I think I overdosed on Northland, because now I just wont go there.

Elevator_fan

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan:

The Shiawassee Hotel became the Sheraton Shiawassee about 2 years after it opened. Since I think it opened around 1975, that would be around 1977. Then it was renamed to the Sheraton Southfield about one year later.

The Michigan Inn opened as a "Western International Hotel", the predecessor to Westin. Today, Westin and Sheraton are both owned by Starwood, but in the mid 70s, when both the Shiawassee and the Michigan Inn opened, they were separate companies. I think United Airlines owned a large part of Westin then. There was no relation between Westin and the Shiawassee.

You may recall that the current Marriott Renaissance Center opened as the Detroit Plaza Hotel, also a Western International Hotel, before it was renamed to the Westin Detroit.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 515
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Sheraton dump the Nine Mile location and take over the Michigan Inn??

Elevator_fan

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan:

Sheraton never ran the Michigan Inn.

Here are approximate timelines; perhaps someone else has exact dates:

Sheraton ran the Nine Mile/Shiawassee Hotel approximately 1977-1989. Westin ran the Michigan Inn approximately 1976-1992. Starwood Hotel Corp. purchased both the Sheraton and Westin chains around 1995.

I think the Sheraton affiliated with another chain, like Radisson or Ramada, thereafter. The Michigan Inn affiliated with Howard Johnson for a while. Other than that, my memory blurs.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 516
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elevator,
I know for a fact that when I was a kid in the 80s, the Michigan Inn was called the Sheraton Southfield Hotel until about the early 90s when it became The Plaza Hotel. After The Plaza it reverted back to the original Michigan Inn name then became The Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel and then back to The Plaza Hotel which is what it currently is.

The Shiwassee Hotel was a Sheraton until sometime in the early or mid 80s when Sheraton took over the Michigan Inn. I remember it was then called the Days Hotel (a higher-end Days Inn), then it became The Ramada Inn and then finally The Southfield Inn.

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northland is for sale. The current owners expressed frustration at their inability to secure long-term leases for both inline stores and the two vacant anchors. The brief media bit I read expressed optimism that a sale will come quickly and that a new owner would be expected to invest in "modernizing" the site.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Northland is for sale."

yeah, good luck with that. There were a few abandoned stores there last time I was there. I dont mean closed - I mean abandoned. Merchandise still there, lights on, entryway metal gate down, a huge pile of mail slid under the gate.

Never seen that in a mall before. They were also stone dead empty on "black friday".

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northland is the worst mall I have ever been to... it's worse than how Arbor Land was in the late 90's in Ann Arbor- but even Arbor Land rose from the dead as they tore down the mall and left a few anchors up and turned it into a strip mall with some great stores. I really think Northland should think about the Arbor Land approach-

http://www.arborlandcenter.com /

Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit--the same folks that have Northland for sale recently sold Arborland also. With proximity to the Town Center, lack of retail in Detroit and ease of access, Northland probably has some sort of future if someone is willing to spend a dime on the place. Perhaps the roof comes off and it returns to it's roots as a "lifestyle" center. You'd think if Penney was willing to gamble on 8 and Woodward that they might be lured back to a redeveloped Northland. I still can't imagine that 500,000 square foot macy's has a future--but I imagine they own the building and sales obviously cover overhead...still, perhaps they go into one of the smaller vacant anchor spots. Just thinking/speculating out loud. Maybe that group that bought Oakland is looking for another acquisition.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit
if you think northland is aweful, check out Frenchtown in Monroe or Livonia Mall.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdetfan

If you think Livonia Mall is awful, check out Universal City Mall.

I was there recently, and at least half of the 25 or so tenants listed on the website have actually closed. The dollar store couldn't even survive.

It's like a surreal morbid monument to the 1970s/1980s shopping mall. Worth the trip for curiosity's sake.

(Message edited by onthe405 on February 01, 2008)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

been there. lol

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the Town Center area. Sometimes at lunch I'll go to Macy's if I need to pick up a gift or if I'm looking for something I can't find at the other Macy's. It seems that the ladies park at the package pick up entrance because it seems to be a safe place to park. The store has a nice marketplace with good hot/cold food selections This is convenient for picking up lunch while shopping. The store is still beautiful but usually empty. The sales people are not to be found and when you do find someone to help you they are usually bored to death. I've worked in the area for 20 years and can say that I havent been to the other stores in the mall since Penny's closed. The only reason I'd go out into the mall was to walk from Penny's to Hudsons/Marshall Fields. Even back then the selection of stores was poor. I can't even imagine what it's like out in the mall now.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 521
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store selection isn't poor if you are looking for hip-hop or athletic gear.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey W_6_mile. I have a ton of photos of Northland. They are all Kodachrome and need to be transferred to a readable media. They were taken just after the mall opened.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc /200611/schwarz-leader