Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Memories of Renaissance High School « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The memories and stories that the graduates of Denby and Mackenzie have been great to read. Both schools have a rich history in Detroit. Since 1978, Renaissance has provided Detroit students with a quality college preparatory curriculum. I was a 1986 graduate and I eventually left Detroit to pursue my college education. In the past few years I have reacquainted myself with a few of my former teachers like my Physics teacher Mr. Hudson and I have bumped into a few former classmates who have relocated in other parts of the country. A few of my former teachers like Mr. Payne and Ms. Dinwiddie have been mentioned in other treads. Are there any others who remember the rotating class schedule, the competition for grades, the good and difficult teachers, and going to a public school that truly served the city that focused on getting kids ready for college?

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lurked this forum for YEARS but this is the winning thread to bring me out of lurkdom!

I'm a 1987 Renaissance grad (yes, we did have a three-day 20-year reunion).

I'm in my graduate program in educational leadership now and I am more grateful for my high school and the college preparatory curriculum, which included talking to students about going to college and walking us through the processes.... That was almost more important than the course work.

Durango

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar,

I am happy that you came out of the shadows. I am sure that there are plenty of Renaissance graduates who read this board on a regular basis. I left Michigan in 1987 to pursue a career in Agricultural Economics. My career path has taken me to Denver and this is one of the many ways I stay in touch with my roots in Detroit. Due to the size of the school at that time, I am sure we probably met in the past. I hope that more people will come forward with some memories or updates on their careers and how Renaissance helped them get to where they are today.

Detroitsfirstson
Username: Detroitsfirstson

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the few regrets that I have in life is that I didn't get a chance to finish at Renaissance. My mother moved us to Montgomery, AL during what would have been by 11th grade year (Ironically, it is where I met the woman that is now my wife). Funny things is, I didn't learn as single thing my last two years of high school that I didn't already know from my time as a Phoenix.

It is a GREAT school. Durango, I know that you are out of town, but the new campus is out of sight. If you ever get the change, you should go and check it out.

Durango

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsfirstson,

I saw the campus a year ago when I was in Detroit. I spoke with Mr. Hudson in the Science Department just before he moved into the new building. I was a baseball and basketball player when I was in high school, unfortunately my first love was football and they didn't have football back then. The facility is amazing, I hope the students appreciate it and take good care of it. We can all say our high school experience had ups and downs. I am sorry to hear you didn't finish at Renaissance, but you met your wife, I would say that is a pretty good trade-off. When did you attend Renaissance?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Current principal is Mrs. Jones, the old journalism teacher. Watched and enjoyed as two foreign exchange students I knew attended Ren last year and had an absolute blast.

My personal favorite was Mme. Powell, the french teacher. What I learned in her class the first two years is about all I remember now. Unfortunately, the next two years were taught by one horrible teacher and one extremely boring teacher. Huge waste of time, and extremely disappointing. Ms. Trutlin, on the other hand, and I realized this later, was one hell of a calculus teacher. I never had a college professor who could explain it as well as she could. I think she burned thru 2 packs of Newports a day. "Now class, take out your cakulatuz"

Perhaps what I found most disappointing though, was after Mr. Pavia's IPS classes in 9th grade (I can still recall the scientific process), the science department was absolutely torrid. We did more experiments in 9th grade than the next three years combined. Mr. Hudson tried, but Mrs. Edwards left you bare for anything that proceeded her Chemistry classes, most of all motivation. I think we did five experiments in 11th grade chem, and learned how to write a 5-year-outdated resume'.

However, for all hiccups that accompanied the "new" citywide magnet school, Beverly Thomas (Williams) had the top job in the entire Detroit Board of Ed. I think she took more shit than anyone else from the DPS HQ (Macabees Bldg) than anyone else in the 8o's, because when her husband became bishop, she got the hell out. She ran a tight ship and defended that school as well as anyone. Padding grades or lessening the curve to save her or the school's reputation was out of the question. She should have been superintendent of the entire Board.

On a more light-hearted note, since the school was at one time the all male Catholic Central, who remembers the occasional mix-up (rotating schedule and all) walking into the only shower/locker room at precisely the wrong (or right) time? And who was that old lady who was always handing out towels to the guys????

Waznotwas85

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renaissance fellow checking in here. Class of 1996. Teachers that stand out in my mind, for various reasons good or bad (I won't say which, don't want to bad mouth anyone here). Ms. Tobin, one of the best English teachers I've ever had the pleasure of being taught by. Ms. Turner, Mr. Ishakis, Mr. Hudson, Mrs. Bridges, and of course Mr. Kline (who I hear is still teaching there). Since I was always a science head these science teachers are the ones I remember most fondly. I also had a pretty good rapport with our french teacher Mrs. Konopka. Anyway, I have nothing but fond and positive memories of my years at Renaissance, although our building and athletics were crappy, our choir and academics were unrivaled in Detroit Public schools. I made some friends there that I still love and keep in touch with to this day. I'm glad they have new facilities and I have a younger cousin who is a sophomore there. I love listening to his stories of some of my old teachers.

After Renaissance I went on to earn a B.S. at the University of Michigan and a Masters at Wayne State. I currently do neurobiology research for a pharmaceutical company in New Jersey. Loving the East Coast, but, of course, there's no place like home, DETROIT CITY!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Renaissance, but you don't want to get me started on that place. *laughing* I'm a veteran poster, and there are folks who know me... so I think I'll refrain.

I'll just say that of all the schools that I've attended, from K to Ph.D, my Renaissance experience left the most to be desired. (And this is coming from a high school teacher.) My theory: when I attended, Renaissance was undergoing a transition. During the 1980s Renaissance was completely egghead; by the late 1990s, it had respected sports programs and a marching band. During the time in-between, things were a bit shaky.

That's all I'll say... I won't elaborate further. However, if you see me around town, trust me, I have plenty to say about the "Phoenix".

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed: Natural born Renaissance hater

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why it took so long for you guys to come on out and rep your school. A second welcome to the Renaissance Alumni and Congrats on your schools most recent award.

Cass Tech 1983

Durango

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

I was there during the "Egghead Era". I spoke with a few of my former teachers who are still there and they said the caliber of the student has changed dramatically since transfer students were allowed in a few years ago versus students who passed the admissions exam back when I was a student. I am sure we could swap some stories about the school and compare notes. I am sure the stories from the 80's closely mirror the stories from the 90's.

Thanks for your post.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, English? Wow... that's unfortunate. I for one am glad I was there during the "Egghead '80s".

At our reunion this year, we fondly recalled those days and now that we see the megafootball field and other amenities, we were thinking out loud about the caliber of the school these days and wondering about how to "restore the glory" to the Egghead '80s that produced such excellence.

Also, Broken_main, gotta give kudos to Cass Tech for your 100th(?) anniversary and the activities of that celebration. I hope that Renaissance will be able to celebrate 100 years (and more) in excellence as well (but we'll do it better because, as you know, it's Renaissance! LOL!)

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mixed feelings about Renaissance and to a lesser extent DSA. If Cass Tech skimmed the cream off the top of DPS students then Renaissance skimmed the cream off Cass Tech students, leaving both schools weaker in the long run. I guess if the district had been growing in numbers it would be fine. Whereas CT was 20-25 years ago was thought of as one of the finest schools in America it now just another good high school in the state. I guess I would have liked to have seen DPS have one superior school rather than two very good schools.

Durango

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main,

I was inspired by the Denby and Mackenzie posts and the energy and memories of the people who attended both schools some forty years ago. Unfortunately, we spend so much time talking about all of the problems of our public school systems, but we seem to forget about the recent success stories of public schools like Cass and Renaissance. I am not saying that we should ignore the many issues that face all public schools, we should attack them strategically and aggressively. I thought it would be a good opportunity for a younger generation of people from the DPS System to let others know that some very capable people graduated from DPS schools and are contributors to society. I knew there were a few people from Renaissance out there, I just wanted to share some thoughts with the Forum members.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good initiative, Durango. I actually spent one day at Renaissance and then went back to Cass because of the goal oriented curriculum. When I started HS I was constantly reminded, by my older family members of the specialties that were offered at all of the High schools. Chadsey had a great Commercial Foods program and along with Mackenzie the JROTC program was top notch.

I am a DPS parent of 6 children and I am active with their education. Having experienced a somewhat decent education from DPS inspires me to keep the vision that I have for my own children. I am proud to say that my children(especially the 3 that live with me) are excelling in in there studies. My 12 year old is focused on becoming a Cassite in the future(I had nothing to do with her decision either).

I welcome your thoughts on your experiences from Renaissance.

Foxyscholar...Don't start nuffin up in here and e'er thang will be fine...'kay?

Cass Tech c/o 1983

English

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango & Foxyscholar:

I really, really wish I had been there during your era. Renaissance was still a good option, but there was a very anti-intellectual culture among my classmates during my first two years. (I have horror stories I could tell you about this one wannabe rapper who bullied me relentlessly freshman and sophomore years -- and no, Mrs. Massey, he did NOT like me! ;-)) I was smart and poor, and it was not fun, especially when they announced that I was one of a handful who had a 4.0 at the end of our first semester freshman year. :-(

When that element flunked out or got kicked out, things were better, but I was of the wrong socioeconomic class to really fit in with the remaining students. My friends were Co-Ettes and part of the Delsprites and AKA Teens, but I was from the wrong side of the tracks. I'll never forget senior year, when we had a video project to do for Mr. Hudkins in Econ -- two of the girls' parents said they couldn't come to my neighborhood after dark!

Then there's the story of trying to get hired by Renaissance as a teacher. *wry grin* I was Davis material, Bates material, and Cass material... I was even material for one of the top suburban high schools... but Renaissance turned up their nose at my resume, even after some of our former teachers advocated for me. (I mean, Mr. Payne trained me -- what else were they looking for?)

So I'm pretty bitter when it comes to Renaissance. I don't think it's a Renaissance thing, though... I think it's a matter of the time period that I was a Phoenix, and my socioeconomic class (troubled working-class family). I have friends from all the other periods of my life, but I haven't retained many from Renaissance... just a few I hear from every now and then. And yes, that does make me sad.

Broken_main

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, what years did you attend Renaissance?

Durango

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

I was at Renaissance from 1982-1986. At that time, there was a "caste system" in the student population, as with all organizations. I have to mirror your comments regarding the economic segregation that occurred within the student-body. I don't recall people getting chastised for high grades. I remember students, such as myself, who didn't have an A average, were not high on the list of the Counselors to assist us with getting improving our position within the high school or getting into college. I remember people begging the Chemistry teacher, Mrs. Edwards, for more points to ensure their perfect G.P.A.s remained intact. I recall students who lived in certain neighborhoods tended to gravitate towards people in the same type of neighborhoods. One of the great life-lessons I learned there, which has stayed with me to this day, is the power of politics.

The situation you experienced was wrong and unfortunate. It is my sincere hope, you went on and continued your academic success and achieved your dreams.

Durango

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy,

I never had a journalism class with Mrs. Jones, but I remember her. I had the Mr. McGhee for Algebra and Geometry. I had Ms. Trutlin for for Pre-Calculus, I never really enjoyed math. I never had the pleasure of Mr. Pavia in I.P.S. I had "Great the Jake" Ishakis for I.P.S. and Chemistry. Mr. Ishakis made me appreciate the importance of planning,procedures, and analysis. I never loved science in high school. I grew to enjoy science when I entered college and focused on applied sciences such as Botany, Agronomy, and Crop Production to earn my undergraduate degree in Agricultural Economics. I made the shower mistake before the new showers was added on the building. Even after the new showers were added, she was still there staring us down and giving us towels. I never truly understood the role of the "Woman Lurking in the Steam" handing the guys towels after gym class, that was a strange woman. Did she do the same job during the Girl's Gym Class or was there some old man who did the same job?? Leon, of the janitorial staff, was a wonderful source of information when I was attending RHS.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I am trying to find a teacher who taught at Denby, in the 1970's...I believe he went on t o the new school (that would be you guys)sometime in the1980's...He was such great person. Charles Lewis, he would have taught social studies ...he was my track coach and helped me beyond the call of duty...any info would be great.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English:

I was at Renaissance from 1983-1987. From Day 1, I had lots of support at home and was blessed to have great friends, a few that I still stay and touch with. Even with our 20-year reunion this year, it seemed that we were glad to see everyone (for those who showed: about half of 157 of us).

First of all, it was a BIG DEAL that I got in, esp. since my mom had heard that Renaissance was for the children of DPS higher-ups. My mom was a para-professional in DPS and people told her I wouldn't get in but I got accepted WAY BEFORE others (Cass took grades from a different semester than the semester that Renaissance took grades.)

I was in the middle (lower middle?) of the socioeconomic ladder but I didn't look like it (whatever that means, other than to say that I had a good, safe home and involved parents--and I lived with both of my parents--that seemed to be rare, even back then. I was active in student government the first year and music the rest of the time. I made Renaissance Singers. With regard to classes, I worked hard, but could have worked harder. My tougher classes were the math and science classes. As I said earlier, I believe that we were relatively well prepped with college information. However, I found out about my college program when a fellow classmate gave me an application to a minority journalism program at WSU, where I eventually got my bachelor's and then a master's in organizational communication.

I felt like Mrs. Thomas made us feel special in that we were specially selected to represent excellence in the district, and for us, at least the sweet, sweet, class of 1987, WANTED to represent. Even the rivalry with Cass...there's nothing wrong with healthy competition. I'd rather compete on that academic level than some of the silly mess that's happening today....

Durango

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar.

My story was similar. I played baseball in the spring, basketball in the winter, and I worked on weekends probably could have worked harder in high school. I went to a summer Agricultural and Natural Resources Program at MSU and led to my career in agriculture. The fact that I attended Renaissance was a key part of the equation. My Counselor had no ideal what I and about fifteen of us were majoring in at MSU. I can't say Mrs. Thomas made us or me feel special, but I can say at that time, the school gave us a solid foundation for college level academics. I am glad this thread gave you the urge share your thoughts.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me, I had a blast at the place. Young, white, and oblivious, although growin up off Schoolcraft sure helped to disapate the naivety, at least on the socio-economic level. In Grandmont, Edison elementary was like candy-land. Then it seemed like everyone had a paper route, then Reagan, and whatever social class was left in Grandmont, everybody had one less car in the driveway. We all went to Cass, Redford, St. Mary's, and I somehow got in Renaissance on the waiting list. This was after I sat in Remus's office at Cass, where I couldn't get in. Go Figure.

The friends I made were from all over the city. A couple from region 5; one dude shoulda gone to Kettering; Mr. (K) Smith, the current Econ teacher, sat next to me in French. His french name was Herve', and he came in from way on the eastside; and my man Darryl who wound up movin' to Upper Marlboro, MD our senior year. Sure, the kids from Sherwood thought they owned the place, but there was no socio-economics in the senior lounge, where you could smoke, if you were a senior. (I have heard from recent students and parents that the whole class thang has gotten a little out of hand).

The egghead thing never really crossed our minds, though. Hell we all got passed by that same damn Greenfield Bus when it rained, and we all got even wetter walking from outer drive. Although, I must admit, that asshole Mr. Furcron used to give me friggin "C"s in Gym because I couldn't play basketball, even though I pitched for the damn baseball team. Shithead. My best friend, who went to Cass, never let me hear the end of that. And I probably wasn't the best student unless the teacher made it interesting. Nothing beyond Mr. Pavia made science interesting. As a matter of fact, there were a lot of snoozers behind the desk, something I thought might be different after Vetal (shithole middle school at Schoolcraft & Westwood).

But otherwise, I wouldn't have changed a thing. I had a great inner-city high school experience. And I still live here, so maybe it did sap me of all motivation (ha).

Hamtramck represent. RHS '85

English

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main -- First half of the 1990s; class of '95.

Durango -- oh, I'm fine now. I was a Detroit Public Schools teacher for 6 years, and have been in Ann Arbor for 3 while working on my Ph.D. I'm also Greek and clawed my way into the middle class, but retained my parents' working class values. (I'm constantly sticking up for the black underclass in graduate school!) Most of my DPS service was at Cass Tech, and I just can't express how much I enjoyed working there. I made many friends on the staff, and quite a few of my CT students stay in touch and cite me as a memorable teacher. My experiences at our old rival underscored my feelings about my own high school experience. (The Cass Tech people say I'm an honorary Technician, since I come from a CT family, but I wouldn't go that far!)

Foxyscholar -- glad to hear that someone else detected the socioeconomic disparities. I was definitely working class and very much looked it until I was able to work and earn money for certain types of clothes during junior and senior year. Any kind of vehicle was a pipe dream. My sister was able to finesse things better because she is very charismatic; back in those days I wasn't. So I stayed pretty much to myself and within a small and select group of friends.

Hamtragedy -- Mr. Furcron! I literally have NOT thought of him in 15 years. I think we were the last class to have him before he retired. You're right about the "snoozers behind the desk" as well. I felt as if so much of the teaching while I was there was rigorous, but uninspired. I hear that's changed for the better, though.

Wsugradguy

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

Interesting, I was class of '96 which means that we were at Renaissance at the same time. I don't doubt your experiences, we all see life through our own eyes and senses, but I always find it intriguing how people can have totally different experiences in the same place. I would have considered myself to be a member of the "egghead" crew, but never felt ostracized or teased for that. In fact, I always felt glad to be at Renaissance because it was a school where being smart and successful was the norm and the class clowns and f*ck-ups were actually looked down upon. I also never observed segregation based on socio-economic level. I would imagine that to have been more of a problem during early Renaissance years (based on what I've heard) but never heard of anything like that when I was there. And my family didn't have any money. I loved my years at Renanerd, and they definitely helped me as I pursued higher education. This is a good thread, bringing me out from my usual lurker status. :-)

Durango

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy,

I played baseball on the '85 team when Mo "The Self-proclaimed The King of Clark Park" Blackwell coached us. I played right field and third base. I remember are to primary pitchers were Alex C., Jim K. and an '85 with curly blond hair who's last name began with the letter "C" or "S". Hudkins was my J.V. coach and Furcron was the Varsity basketball coach when I rode the bench and was James Lakes' punching bag in practice. I think he went on to play basketball in Europe after college.

Foxyscholar

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laughing at Hamtragedy's memories of walking up Outer Drive to catch that southbound Greenfield bus! LOL! I guess I wanted that bus to get to us so bad/quick that my friends would tease me saying I had busses on my glasses! Those were some cold days.

And yes, it was great to have friends all over the city, people (esp. of other persuasions) that I would have NEVER met socially, as my social outlets were completely African-American, e.g., church. Had some friends at Cass and St. Mary's and Redford and Henry Ford (took driver's ed there).

And yeah, Vetal sucked just a little more than my middle school up the street from you: Harding.... Yikes!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Cass was a fairly classist place, but there was probably a lot more socio-economic diversity in the student body than Renaissance because of the size and centralized location.

Durango

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foxyscholar,

The Greenfield bus was so bad for us, we decided to take the 3:20 PM Schaefer bus southbound. Most of us got off of the bus at Chicago, Joy Road, or Tireman and headed to the westside. It was always on time and it was never filled to the gills like the southbound Greenfield buses. I remember sometime the southbound Greenfield bus would have so many students on it the front end of the older buses would lean to the right going down the street. The population at Renaissance at that time closely mirrored the demographics of the city. I grew up by Rouge Park and my neighborhood was all white when we moved their in 1975. By 1985 it was about 80% black and still a great neighborhood to be teenager. The diversity within the student bodies at Renaissance and Cass was an asset to all of the students at that time.

English

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wsugradguy - see, that's exactly why I don't talk about my experiences at that school! :-) I knew someone would say, "Gee, I was there then, and it wasn't like that, it was wonderful!"

OK, I admit it. It was me. I didn't want to go there in the first place. Once there, I didn't like it, but what could I do? I wasn't going to jeopardize my college chances by flunking out, and my parents would never let me leave. My mother said that Cass Tech was too big and King was too far, so Renaissance it was. (FWIW, my sister graduated from Ren in the late 1990s and loved it. Different personalities!)

Hey, it's not like the Renaissance years are something I dwell on, shaking my fist. This is the first time I've really articulated this to anyone outside of my immediate family. I had a decent K-8 experience, AWESOME college experience (I'm an HBCU grad), loved Wayne State, and am enjoying my Ph.D work at Michigan now. I'm not mad @ Renaissance or particularly bitter; it just wasn't for me what a lot of grads say that it was for them.

Iheartthed - Cass definitely wasn't classist when I taught there. What I liked about it was that there seemed to be a place for everyone, even the most eccentric kids. The students seemed happy to be there for the most part and proud of the school's legacy. If the district itself were more solvent & stable, I'd go back to CT in a heartbeat.

Wsugradguy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, its all good English :-). As I said, my cousin is a sophomore at Renaissance now and I'm not sure if he likes it very much. And as much as I loved the University of Michigan as an undergrad, I knew many....well some who totally hated it. Maybe I'm just easy to please, cuz I really enjoyed Wayne State University for grad school too, and I know plenty who hate that place. LOL

English

Post Number: 631
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

What are you studying at Wayne? I got my master's in English (19th century lit & postcolonial studies -- thanks Ms. Tobin!) in 2004...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Iheartthed - Cass definitely wasn't classist when I taught there. What I liked about it was that there seemed to be a place for everyone, even the most eccentric kids. The students seemed happy to be there for the most part and proud of the school's legacy. If the district itself were more solvent & stable, I'd go back to CT in a heartbeat.

I actually left the school not long before you got there (I remember you saying when you started at Cass on another thread), so it's interesting about the differences in perspectives that we have. When I was there it had the nickname of "Detroit's fashion show". Also, the students at the other high schools along the Grand River corridor thought we were all snobby. There were plenty of incidents on the buses because of that.

I have a lot of friends who went to Renaissance who were all pretty much in a similar socio-economic class as me growing up. The difference that I perceive between Cass and Renaissance is that Cass attracted a greater range of students from all corners of the city (a lot of people, like me, actually chose Cass over Renaissance). So nobody was entirely alone at the school, which I came to appreciate in later years because it was very much unlike my college experience.

At Cass, there were people represented from every ethnic background and every socio-economic status in the city. One of my classmates from Cass is the daughter of a very well known developer in the city. Her parents are multi-millionaires and she sat in the same classes as people eligible for the free lunch program. There were plenty of other kids there from prominent business and political families as well.

That said, I definitely remember there being class divisions in that student body. It may not have been as blatant as other places, but it was there.

Wsugradguy

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

No longer at Wayne, graduated with a Masters in Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience in December of 2005. I now do behavioral neurobiology research in Jersey. Loved Ms. Tobin as well, she is a great teacher. Wonder what she's up to now. We especially used to love her temper tantrums as it got close to time for the AP tests. Her dedication paid off though, I entered college with 2 or 3 credits from English and 2 from AP European History, which she also taught, I think. OMG, I'm getting old, I can't even remember who taught classes 11 years ago. LOL

Durango

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

It sounds like all has worked out well for you. I am sure parents are very proud of you. I worked for American Cyanamid, now BASF, in Wayne, NJ in 1989 during a summer internship. I loved the east coast when I was there. I received my degree from an HBCU as well. Growing in Detroit and going to Renaissance prepared me well for living on the east coast. Due to internships and job transfers, I have lived seven different states since I left high school. I would have to say Mr. Payne, Mr. Moldavon, and my baseball coach left the biggest impression on me during my years at RHS.

English

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wsugradeguy -- Ms. Tobin is still there. I would have taken AP Euro with her, but there was a conflict with A Band. And if you're a '96, you are NOT old... because what does that make the rest of us?

Ihearthed -- fair enough; a teen's perspective is always different from a teacher's. But I think I would have been happier if my parents had allowed me to choose my school. My sisters and I had our high schools chosen for us, which was not good.

English

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango -- seven different states? That's amazing! I'm always impressed with the accomplishments of Renaissance grads; it was a rigorous college prep curriculum, and it served us all very well in that regard.

Durango

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

I and several other RHS graduates majored in agriculture and key part of our major was going away every summer to a different part of the country to gain experience in the industry and make money to pay for school. I worked in Kngsport,TN for Mead Paper, MI and MO for Monsanto, NJ for American Cyanamid. After graduating from college I spent fifteen years at Monsanto in IA, IL and MO. Currently, I work for DuPont in Colorado. It's been a good run in an industry that doesn't have many African-Americans, which I am sure you can relate to in your industry. That is a another tread for another day.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango,

Last I checked. Mo Dogg Blackwell was still the king of Crack Park and still coaching little league, but no longer coaching at Western. In the 70's & 80's he was a coach up at Jack Adams Arena (the rec center on Lyndon & Meyers, where I have coached for the better part of the last 15 years, and in many respects, have emulated his style), The last bit of info I have on him is from a couple years ago, and he still lives on Clark. Another guy I skate with his been coaching little league with him for quite a while.

There were a handful of Renaissance students who played hockey at Jack Adams, not to mention lots of other kids who went to Cooley, Murray, Çass, UD and Redford. This continues to the present day, although enrollment at most rec centers (the remaining 4 or 5 that are open) is way down. I've been fortunate to run into former players of mine, many who have gone to college, some playing Div 1 or in Canada, and some who are coming back to teach their own kids how to skate. They have an annual "Hockey in the Hood" tournament there in Feb featuring inner city teams from the East Coast and Midwest. Our organization at Jack Adams has a partnership with the NHL where we get all of our equipment for free (skates & helmet incl), so we basically charge a refundable $75 for equipment + 75 for ice for the entire year. You really can't beat that.

Anyways, Mr Pruitt coached baseball before Blackwell, and I pitched for one game in 84, got lit up, and then broke my leg playing hockey. I played for Blackwell, mostly banished to first base. I pulled out the yearbook from 85 and looked up the baseball team (heading: Baseball Season Disappointing for new coach and team ) just for shits and giggles. But the fact that we didn't have sports there the first couple years didn't really seem to matter to most people. In fact, after witnessing the dumb jock mentality in college, or at least that whole Midwest (read Ohio) football mentality, I'm sooooo glad I never had to put up with that shit in high school.

Durango

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy,

I think I remember you. We only had two people who played first in 1985, Peter or Eric. I used to piss off the player at first during warm-ups because I always had at least one wild throw into the street. If I remember correctly, we played on the corner diamond on Greenfield and Curtis. I played third base and right field. I was in right, Mark played center field, David in left field. It was disappointing, but it was fun playing baseball after being stuck in the gym all winter playing basketball. I am glad to hear you're doing well. It's always good to hear from a former teammate.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Durango,

If he's not currently still there, Mark, the center-fielder, went on to coach the basketball team. He also played on the basketball team with Carl Brown, (85) who apparently made a career playing in Europe.

The new ball diamond at the new building can't be used because of fouls flying onto Outer Dr. Sounds like the same builders who built the Cass football field that wasn't long enough. So the baseball team still plays at winship (Greenfield and Curtis), where I'm sure the grass doesn't get cut and trip hazards include tire tracks from stuck vehicles and folding chairs not completely obliterated by the mower when it does pass thru.

But I never got pissed on errant throws because I chased strays from my younger brother (and all the neighborhood kids) most of my childhood. That must have been peter who got mad. By the way, my younger brother graduated in 89. Summertimes in Grandmont we all played baseball at Ramsey Field (behind Edison Elementary). No coaches, no parents. In fact, one of (YBI) Butch Jones youngest enforcers and $$$$ makers, who was a classmate at Edison and Vetal, played everyday. Right field angled in because of the park layout, and the house over the fence had two giant ass great danes that would end your afternoon if you hit a home run to right, which wasn't hard. Anything to right field was out, so I had to poke everything to left. But I digress......

You mentioned above how the baseball coach made an impression. If you're referring to Mo Dogg, it's not a surprise. Did he go on to coach more than just 85? All I remember about him (from the baseball perspective) is that he knew we probably weren't the best ball team ever assembled, and that manufacturing runs any way possible was going to be as much fun for him to teach and even funnier for him to watch. I never knew you could execute a double steal just from the catcher returning to ball to the pitcher (which worked, although one umpire didn't buy it). I think he knew that would catch everyone off guard, and the comedy of errors by the defense that would follow would crack him up. I saw the way he interacted with us at the rec center when I was younger, and we all ate him up. I saw him at a District hockey tournament there in 94 and actually thanked him. And he's still the king of Clark park. Lemme' ask around the next few days, and get some more info.

Durango

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy,

Mark Jones was our center-fielder. I did play basketball with Mark White and remember reading where he was relieved of his duties as coach last season. It was Peter who I used to frustrate during warm-ups, but I never threw one away during a game. Mo was a good coach and good communicator, those are pretty hard commodities to come by on a daily bases.

It's great to connect with you.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I played hockey at Jack Adams years ago...

Durango

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

I never played hockey, but I had a few friends who played hockey. From what I heard some of the best hockey the area was played by African-American kids from Detroit. I guess I one time the players at Jack Adams had quite a great reputation. It's probably a topic deserving of another thread.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there were some great players at Jack Adams. It was unique in being predominantly black (not entirely tho). All of the games I played were inter-league, so I wasn't aware of how we stacked up as a league against others in the area.

By high school I had stopped playing but some of my classmates at Cass were still involved. I can think of at least one person who I went to U of M with that I first met playing hockey at Jack Adams.

Esca540
Username: Esca540

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you recall the names of the players on the baseball team from '85 and '86 (name and position) for the Phoenix??

Durango

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esca540,

I was on the 1985 squad and I don't have a yearbook at my finger tips.

Pitchers: Jim Konkel, Alex Csezar
Catcher - Don Phillips
First Base - Peter Skieken
Second Base - Sandy Brown
Shortstop - ???? Stocky with curly blond hair and he also pitched
Third Base - Daryl Allen
Left Field - David Mott
Center Field - Mark Jones
Right Field - Eric Wassner

Hamtragedy, do you have your yearbook handy to confirm my line-up memories???

Durango

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo of the "original factory", one of the many former homes of Detroit Catholic Central. Does anyone have a photo of the new building???

Wiz40
Username: Wiz40

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How fondly do I remember RHS. I graduated in 1982 with Honors. Sorry to have missed the reunions, all. We used to call ourselves the first 4 year class. Congratulations to Ms. Jones as Principal (Journalism, Yearbook). Anyone recall Ms. Dinwiddie's (English Lit) alter ego (Kris Lynn as a singer?) She sang for us in class once. Mr. Tank in American History, and Mr. Lee's Language Exploration class were great too. I loved telling people I could speak 7 languages. Robin Givhan from our class recently won the Pulitzer Prize and went from the Freep to the Washington Post.

Yet, for those of modest means, in those days some felt stratified by class even though we all were equally smart. (But it feels so much more gratifying to be the smartest person most of my people know.) We felt unfairly delegated beneath Cass Tech and Cranbrook, that was so unfair- most of us ended up at Michigan anyway. I went there when MSU would not take me in.

Unfortunately, the many scholarships in place now began to be offered after we graduated, and pale in comparison to what we accomplished with full 4 year schedules and the lack of varsity.

The new building is beautiful, I really have something to show for it now, along with my Masters in Management. Congratulations to my cousin Aaron Hall, a recent graduate and football player.

Durango

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wiz40,

It wasn't perfect, but what organization is be it a school or a business? Ms. Dinwiddie was my freshman English teacher and Mr. Tank was my Sociology teacher. I graduated in 1986, I wasn't an honor student, but I used all that I had to plow through college and become firmly entrenched in corporate America. I am a parent now and I am involved in high school and college undergraduate programs to expose urban students to the many science, business, and financial career opportunities that are available to them in agriculture and natural resources if they have the desire to look beyond the typical career paths that they are exposed to everyday. Congratulations on your success and the success of your cousin.

Merry Christmas