Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Puppy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An old man living in at Seldon and Cass needs a home for his puppy. It is a Lab mix, all black with a diamond on it's forehead. I am guessing it is about 7 months old but we are not sure. He never should have accepted the pet and now we are trying to find it a good home. It has had some shots.

It is very playful and hyper and is stuck in a 4rth story apartment. The owner walks with a cane and has trouble giving it enough attention.He cannot afford to feed the dog. I have been buying it dog food. It is an adorable puppy but I am afraid to take it to the pound. I have two cats and cannot keep it.

Please spread this message to anyone you know.Also, if you are aware of any no kill shelters, please let me know. I don't have a car but I will rent one to save this pup.

ah9191@wayne.edu

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a no kill shelter but its out by Port Huron. http://www.petfinder.com/shelt ers/MI18.html

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have trouble finding a home for the pup, try the Animal Welfare Society of SE MI in Madison Hts. A no kill shelter, got my beastie from them.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can surrender pets at the Humane Society at West Grand and I-75.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check with blondy at K9 to 5 I am sure she would know someone who would take care of it.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for all the recommendations.

With the Humane Society as overburdened as it is, that is the last place I want to take her.

thanks, I'll stop by K9 and look into the other recommendations. She is a beautiful pup.

I also found Michigan Animal Rescue League in Pontiac

Lukabottle

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.afterchain.com/animals/help.jpg
http://www.afterchain.com/animals/help2.jpg

Here are photos of the dog. We think she is about 8 months and will find out from the vet. My sister is taking it for shots tomorrow. Unfortunately, I had to take the dog. I have two unhappy cats and my allergies are going nuts.

We will be trying the above no kill shelters unless someone wants to adopt.

She is potty trained, has not jumped on my furniture, good with other dogs, answers to Diamond, walks well on a leash, and loves rawhide bones.

We are working on Sit

please email me at ah9191@wayne.edu

Thank you for all the help!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How big is the pup at this time (I realize she is not done growing)?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle,

You're a saint! Clariton works for me with dogs.

Lfrac88
Username: Lfrac88

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww... I really wish I could adopt her, but I unfortunately have no time to take care of a pet. I really hope someone helps out since she seems like a great dog!

Also, I am pretty sure I had seen her a couple of times in the past couple months driving in that area- my heart always pangs when I see dogs (and puppies especially) with people who you know probably have a hard time taking care of them because of monetary issues. If I could adopt all the dogs that needed help I would, but alas, I am merely a horrendously busy music student.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass, not a saint, just like animals more than people. Clariton has been helping.

Dog just got back from vet. Clean bill of health, shots, and nails trimmed. Great disposition despite situation according to the vet. I have been flooded with e-mails and possibilities. Now it is just checking out possibilities.
I want to make sure who takes her has the financial means. My asthma and cats can deal for a few days. Cats are finally exploring.

Lfrac88, you probably have seen her, all the hookers at 2nd and Seldon love her. The old man had a hard time giving her up. He meant well. He just doesn't see anything wrong with what he was doing. He was ready to give her up and than one of the streetwalkers came over and cried when she found out so he almost didn't let me have her.That is ideally why I would like to get her out of Midtown.

We are being told there is some pit in her. She has shown no violent tendencies and lets me take her bones and food away without a growl. She only cried in the vet office. She is safe for the time being. My landlord is letting me keep her for a little while to find her a home. What a great landlord!

I will let you all know when she has a good home.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He kept her locked up in the bathroom quite a bit.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww that pup's a good one for you Gazhekwe. Trolaina would love playing with her so long as the pup realized who got first dibs on plates at gramma's house.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi, i adopted a dog from a no kill shelter in southfield called almosthome. they really do a fantastic job. i give them alot of credit.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we found her a home. I will know tomorrow.
A couple with a lot of farm land lost their dog several months ago. Her vet office checks out. I think it is a good choice since the woman lives quite aways from Detroit so I don't have to worry about the pup wandering into her old neighborhood.I appreciate everyone's advice and help. I will post as soon as I know it is official.

Gazhekwe, she is a little over my knee but she definitely has some more growing. Sorry I didn't catch this post sooner.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's OK, I was way back in line anyway. A farm sounds good, she will have lots of room to run around.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping for an update on the puppy. Did she go to the farm???

We adopted a dog this summer and she has already become such an important part of our family. I'm just wondering what happened with this one.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5 7974086@N00/2098129976/?rotate

Just took her to her new home. They are taking her for a full check up and to get fixed next week. She immediately took to the couple and began following them around the house immediately. She loved her new toys. The couple was wonderful. Thank you all for your help. Thank you Liz Blondy and staff for your help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5 7974086@N00/2098129976/?rotate

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pix didn't work for me, so sad! But how great to find such a happy home, thanks for the update.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, just figuring out how to do this stuff.
It is from a camera phone so it is not the greatest.
Try number two.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww! Puppy Love!

Lukabottle

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She follows them all over the house. She warmed up really quick. Unfortunately she cried when I left for a half hour. She will get over it.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on the pup:
The new owners love her. She never had toys before I took her in and didn't know what to do with them. She just learned how to play with balls. She loves running through piles of snow. She also has discovered her voice and loves to dance.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear Luka! You did a great thing putting all that effort to find a good home for the pup. Many would have just ignored the situation at hand, it takes someone special to do something like what you did.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4353
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great job and story Lukabottle. You just earned a big pile of angel points!

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle--grand work!

Now I know you said you "just like animals more than people," but I wonder if there's something nice to be done--not necessarily by *you*--for the fellow whom you persuaded (appropriately) to give her up.