Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » Saint Agnes school « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to grade school at St. Agnes in Detroit @ 12th and LaSalle. At that time, there was also an all girls high school connected with the church or school. Does anyone remember this?

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed...I lived at Linwood and Vicksburg, and went to school at Thirkell elementary at 14th St. and LaSalle Gardens. I used to go into St. Agnes Church and sit and take in that beautiful church and the very spiritual feeling it had. I have thought about that beautiful church ever since. I started Thirkell School in 1947, kindergarten. We moved from that area about 1955. I am so glad you posted regarding St.Agnes. I wondered if there was anyone else who remembered that church, as I have all these years. I wonder if the building is still there. It would break my heart to find if it was burned down, or destroyed. Thanks for the memory....

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mother Earth, I attended at funeral at St. Agnes Church (which was renamed Martyrs of Uganda) several years ago. I found it to be as beautiful as you remember it.

Mother_earth

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr...thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it. This has been in the back of my mind for over fifty years. I always wondered if that beautiful church was still there. It is one of my childhood memories from living in that area as a young child.

The_ed

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended St. Agnes in 1965 - 7th grade. I remember a lot of older girls there in uniforms,
but after the eighth grade the girls were gone and St. Agnes was just a grade school; 1st thru 8th.
I was an altar boy and had to serve mass 7 days a week plus I had to do funerals, weddings, stations of the cross, confirmations, etc. It was a deal my Mom made with the school & church to for-go some of the tuition. The church is still there in tact, and as Neilr stated it was been renamed 'Martyrs of Uganda'.

if you Google Martyrs of Uganda, Detroit, you'll get the story.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't Goggled the story, but the church is still standing, though closed. I drove past it a few months ago.
St. Agnes: l914-89
In the l950s there were 125 girls in the high school
The high school closed l967, the St. Agnes Elementary School closed in l971.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by there about a month ago. The school is still standing, but it has been vandalized. The church still looks nice though, at least from the outside.
As for the surrounding neighborhood, well maybe its best not to ask if you haven't been there in a while.

The_ed

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live right across the street above my Grandmothers restaurant; 'Sug's Grill' @ 7622 12th street.
She was called Sug because she was half sweet...(sugar)

Mother_earth

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a young child who had a very unhappy home, to be able to go into that wonderful church and just sit and feel so close to God, was something I will never forget. I became Catholic when I was twenty years old. I am sure it had something to do with that wonderful old St.Agnes. I lived up over a store at 8133 Linwood Ave at Vicksburg. Another great memory for me was the Linwood Theatre and the Oriole Theater. I also used to go to Brewster Pilgrim Church, I believe to be at Linwood and Hogarth, for girl scouts, and church, and modern dance. I did this all by myself, never my family nor my mother and step-father. I think I was looking to belong somewhere at that young tender age. I have seen pictures of this church still standing.
The_ed...I love the name your grandmother had.....Is it pronounced Shug or sug like zug.
Thanks to all for the memories................

The_ed

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother's name is pronounced "SHUG" like sugar without the 'a r'. She was a feisty old lady who didn't take any shit from anybody. I saw her brake beer bottles over my grandfathers head, left-hook a purse snatcher and cuss the paint off a battle cruiser. She could kick a man's ass and cook greens at the same time.

Mother_earth

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed......I would have loved to have known Sug!
I bet she kept you in line also!

The_ed

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure did. My brothers and I had to wash dishes, silverware and pots-n-pans. We swept, mopped and sometimes, waited tables. Sug's Grill was open 24 hours a day and the food was always good.

Mother_earth

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed....I know it made you a better person....I had a few older people in my life that I feel helped me to be a better person, and they probably didn't even know they were making a difference in my life. You dont realize these things till you get older. Did you still live there during the riots, as I know that was right in the area that it originated. I lived at Meyers and Schoolcraft during the riots, and worked at Grand River and Oakman.

The_ed

Post Number: 982
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. We moved from there to across the street @ 1904 LaMothe, a 2 family flat which was on the corner of Lamothe & 12th. Sug's Grill was destroyed by a fire the summer before the riots.

J1146
Username: J1146

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To_the_ed I went to St. Agnes-6.7 and 8 grades.
I don't rremember a girls scholl but St. Agnes high school was almost a girls school. One of my sisters graduated from St. Agnes. There exactly 2 boys in the graduation class. Their school colors were black and orange and they never had much of a basketball team.
The Pastor was named Fr. Hennigan...from the old old old school. He was a tough one. Many many stories about him. I lived on Linwood and on Columbus. Walking to school took me by LaSalle Boulevard. It was a beautiful street lined with poplar trees and large homes. We also walked by LaSalle Park. There we played football and learned how to jump over park benches. If I remember correctly, right across the street from the Church was a small market name Howell's. The owner's daughter was named Jo. St. Agnes was also where John McHale went. he went on to be President of the Detroit Tigers and a fine man.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J1146
When did you go to St. Agnes? My mother, Frederica Leonard, and aunts, Dorothy Leonard and Mary leonard, went there as well. They often spoke of Fr. Hennigan.

J1146
Username: J1146

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

65memories....I went to St. Agnes in 1938, '39 and '40.