Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Oak Park: How's it Doing? « Previous Next »
Archive through November 12, 2007Clarie30 11-11-07  11:35 pm
Archive through November 20, 2007Danny30 11-20-07  12:27 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,when I was a senior at OPHS in 1975 there only a few black kids in my class.Maybe 10%.In the classes under me were a higher % of blacks/whites.This was also the time of the 1970's jewish exodus to West Bloomfield.A new jewish center was built at Maple and Drake.So the ratio of black to white changed really fast.Where are we going to next?Walled Lake,Commerce Twp.,Wixom,South Lyon?A black teacher once told me that whites can run,but a black person with money will be right behind them!This was 35 years ago.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6822
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Luckycar,

When white folks keep on moving on the greener pastures in the E-urbs, black folks will follow them. It's all about the money, good schools bigger homes and solid gold strip malls and big box stores just a car drive away. The ethnic Jews will keep on moving to the E-urbs until they find their promise land. Black folks will follow them and so most of Northwest Oakland County will be filled with a massive black community bigger then Detroit ghettohoods. Fewer blacks are migrating to Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield TWP. Commerce TWP. Waterford TWP. and yes Novi as long they have the money in their pockets and a desire to live out in those greener pastures.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, I'm not looking to engage you here, but speaking as a current high school student, I don't see where a student being found with marijuana is news-worthy or at all indicative of the quality of a school district. I live in the very northern suburbs--a very boring area with more trees (or should I say vacant, half-built McMansion subdivisions?) than people-- and we routinely have parking lot drug-dog searches & busts, after which several students are usually suspended, and some expelled due to what is found in their cars. I think you will find that in every community, police are called to the high school quite often. As I have little knowledge of OPHS, and just taking your post from this afternoon at face value, five police visits to a public high school in forty-one days seems anything but excessive.

Clarie
Username: Clarie

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can the city council do anything to help the district. I think this is what happens to your schools when it becomes an open district. They have accepted all students for the money. In my research, I found out that oak park students do not go to oak park high school. They go to other school districts. Teachers are threathed daily with no consequences to the students. They are talking on cell phones in class.

teachers are upset and afraid. The paper also says that they have zero tolerance but students out of district are admitted with tetters on.

What are the leaders thinking? Who is the principal there?

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is another trend in every high school: talking or texting on cell phones during class. Being an open district is a great means of financial survival. It means enrollment and thus funding increases, and if you're a pretty good school district a School of Choice can provide opportunity to others. I go to a school which is "open." The downside is that Schools of Choice are not an equitable solution to underperforming school districts, because only the kids whose parents can afford to or are able to drive them to the Schools of Choice district from wherever they live are able to attend.

Clarie
Username: Clarie

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you go to an "urban" or suburban open school?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking at buying a home in northern part of oak park south of 696. Anyone think its a bad idea finacially? Im looking in ferndale aswell but the prices are little more and the houses in my price range are ether very nice and insanely small or medium size dumps. I tried madison hts but same problems with dumps. Even looked in hazel park but my GF hates that city.

Would it be better to get a very small but nice home in ferndale or a medium size (decent quality) in Oak Park?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure you can't find a medium sized house in Ferndale in your price? None of those people are going to get the price they are asking, you can assume that off that bat right now. I'd knock 10k off the listed price in your head, since your offer should be at LEAST that much lower.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a killer place in OP (Ferndale school dist.) and I love it. Great neighbors, way more than I could have gotten in Ferndale, huge lot. Much, muche better neighbors than Ferndale and so quiet.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3955
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Much, muche better neighbors than Ferndale"

That's an amazingly broad generalization!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my range is no more than 80,000 and i need seller to pay my 3% downpayment for my FHA loan approval(would like them to pay closing too). ive seen lots of nice 2 bedrooms homes in ferndale but they are way too small so far. Like Hauntedbeat i have seen some nice OP houses in ferndale schools lot bigger than ferndale but there are not many listed over their. I dont plan on having kids soon so the part of OP in OP schools doesnt worry me. I am going to look at more in ferndale more this week i have scheduled 6 more. I really really want to live in ferndale though. I only worry about finacially this is my first home and i dont want to lose money. JOHNLODGE i should offer a total of 10,000 less than asking (including my closing, 3%downpayment) or total less? GF Grandparents are willing to give me 5 grand towards closing if i need it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker,

I purchased my home in April, and I offered 10k less as my first offer, and the seller took it immediately! Had I known they were going to do that, I would have offered even less. I was planning on them to counter offer, and I was going to take the counter offer, with them paying some costs instead. My house was listed at 120k, I offered 110k. The buyer originally listed the house at 159k two years prior!

My agent told me that 110k would probably be too low of an offer, he wanted me to offer 115k!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. I put an offer on a house in OP in ferndale schools the guy didnt even counter and returned saying he was upping the list price to 100,000. He had it on the market over a year now and has continually lowered the price but i guess he didnt want to sell.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently he doesn't want to sell bad enough. There are definitely people out there right now that do though. If you are willing to go 80,000 max, I'd look at houses up to 95k and see if you can get them to come down.

Of course Ferndale has those killer taxes, so maybe OP is your best bet. Not sure what their taxes are like.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6855
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to move to Ferndale. You're going to love the Homosexual folks living right next door to you.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to respond, but then I remembered, it's Danny.

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To johnlodge, it wasn't a generalization; I was talking about MY OWN NEIGHBORS in both cities. My neighbors in ferndale (NW) were not as tidy, quiet, or friendly by a longshot.
ALSO, Re: property tax--if you're in the ferndale school disctrict as I am, be prepared to pay substantially higher taxes. That's why I went for OP. My dollar went further there, all things considered.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

taxes are about the same between the two in my price range they are all about 2300 to 3200 a year. Nothing compared to southfield which i saw has taxes in the 5000 to 6000 range even for a houses listed at 80 or 95 thousand. Yeah It doesnt even matter to respond to danny.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3974
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I get it now Haunted. I didn't deduct from your previous post that you lived in both places and were comparing your neighbors.

Yes, its the school district that keeps the taxes high. Living in Ferndale but in the Hazel Park district, you'll see lower rates.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like ill be a new home owner of a 1200 square foot brick bungelow in Oakpark. Im excited even though its in OP schools district.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, Steelworker! That's so exciting!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you johnlodge. I am very excited I feel that im getting a great price. House is on Rosemary in Oak Park. I only hope that I am not going to lose any money on this purchase.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, congrats on the new home.

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Steelworker! I grew up in that area, delivered papers on Rosemary and might even know who lived in your house during another lifetime.

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats from me, too, Steelworker. Rosemary and what? I grew up on Irvine, a block north of Rosemary, right across Coolidge from Oak Park High.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even looked in hazel park but my GF hates that city"

BOO

I grew up in snobsville with high standards.I decided to buy a house in my early 20's and Hazel Park was all I could afford. I've adapted just fine. You get the most house for your money in terms of size. I would also argue that the school district is slightly better than Ferndale's. I was never a big fan of the city either but I recognized where the best values were and bought there. I'm no more than a mile from freeway's, grocery shopping, hardware store, Pharmacy, so on and so forth.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROSEMARY and eastwood. east of coolidge. Actually HPgrmln I think im geting a better house than I would in HP considering my new house is all brick decent size and newer updates. Thanks everyone.

Gron
Username: Gron

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do kids still sled at the hill? Bowl at Oak Park Lanes? Go skating on Fri. nights? Sew tags on their swim suits for the pool? Does Mr. Softee and the Good Humor Man still come around? Can you still see July fourth fireworks from your rooftop? Is Pepper still better the Roosevelt? Is Frost still better than Clinton? Did they ever get the clocks in the wings of OPHS to have the same time? Is there still a butcher inside Dexter Davidsons on Coolidge? Is the zoo still fun? Is there still an ice cream / soda fountain in Efros drug store? Is The Mump Theater still at Northland? Is my piece of gum still stuck atop the OPHS boys locker room door frame? Are there still trails in the woods? Is that still a great place to make out?
Has anything changed, or is it still just as I remember it?

Luckycar

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frost will always be better than Clinton!Go Falcons.Gron,I had forgotten about those trails thru the park.What a scary thing to do when your 8 years old.There was also a soda fountain at Town Drugs further east at 9Mile and Republic.Some other memories of Oak Park...Sat. shows at the Berkley show,the Eight mile Drive -In,the Oak Park Grill,the Parkwood,night games at the park,tonite's game..City Smoked Fish vs Hammersteins Drugs.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gron, the soda fountain at Efros, and Efros, vanished many many moons ago...Efros at least relocated to Southfield, but they didn't take the soda fountain with 'em (warning - useless piece of information - Duke Ellington's second composition was "Soda Fountain Rag".)
I'd forgotten about those Oak Park Pool tags, but will never forget the Oak Park Park and all of the 'stuff' which took place...

Sarge

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the christmas present of some excellent memories, Gron! Back at ya!

How about buying penny candy and ice cream at The Pub? Or stopping off at Burger Chef after the kiddie bowling league on Saturday mornings at Oak Park Lanes? Or grabbing some corned beef and pastrami at Katz's, the Stage or Hy Horenstein's? Getting fresh bagels at Detroit Bagel Factory? Shopping for $1 albums at Flipside Records? Mom taking you to Brodie's for kids clothes? Movies at the Main, the Washington, The Towne, The Berkley and the Americana? Going to Burger King on Greenfield with all the sports art posters on the wall? Sam the good humor man at 10 and Scotia, with a sharp white uniform and white hair to boot. Books at Little Professor? Swimming the length of the swimming pool and back at Oak Park Pool to get your "shorty" tag? Concerts in the park? Sitting on the roof of the train in Oak Park Park and listening to the hippies play guitar? Toy shopping at Kiddieland? Getting a cream puff at Sanders with a paper cup of water in a metal holder? Ribs from Zukins? Going to the Jack in the Box on 9 and greenfield? Birthday parties at Farrell's? Shopping at Korvette's? Going to the pet store at 9 and Coolidge and looking at all the fish and reptiles? Feel free to add.....

Luckycar

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge,I worked at Zukins all thru high school.Zukins dial-a-dinner rib shack.Home of the 99 cents Friday fish dinner.Three pieces of fried cod,cole slaw,fries and a roll.I would go home stinking of fish!9 mile and Coolidge,what a jumping corner.Got my bar mitzva suit at Brody's.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We often dropped by Nelson's late on Fri/Sat to satisfy the munchies...

Steve

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Brody's is located around Orchard Lake and Maple now. I vaguely remember getting clothes there when they were still on Dexter, but the 9 Mile Road memories are clear.

Sarge

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luckycar,

I usually stopped in there to pick up something for my dad. We lived on Blackstone and he would send me over periodically. The only guy I remember there was the guy who would work the desk. Heavy set and older with glasses.....

Steve,

You're right. They took off from Oak Park in the early 80's if memory serves me correct.

Luckycar

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarge,that was Harold the owner.Lana his wife,Annette,Steve,Roger,Cindy and me ,Alan.A bunch of drivers who I can't recall.Good times back in the mid 70's.I also remember Nelson's on 9 mile next to the Mobile station.That would have been in the 60's.They became a Peppy's,which was on 9mile in Ferndale,then Burger Chef,or as we liked to call it grunts!Now this will become a Ferndale thread.....

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I was a tot living in Southfield in the 80s and I had a birthday party at Farrels! 12 Mile and Southfield, right? My parents bought me things at Kiddieland, I believe my whole bedroom set came from there. Did the Sanders thing with mom once in a while at 12 and Evergreen. Of course got dragged to Brody's but at their West Bloomfield location.

Gron
Username: Gron

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember as a kid that the park was the center of our lives. Does anyone else remember skating at the rink before it was covered? We used to have to shovel the snow off before playing hockey.Or hanging out at the reservoir, playing bicycle tag on top, and sliding down that one side with the concrete wall with all those stones in it? Or going to the community center? Or thinking that people from Southfield were weird?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope I have some good memories of my new home in Oak Park as you all have.

Maries
Username: Maries

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Oak Park on Sherman (Ferndale schools..1969 grad). I have great memories of that neighborhood including the area of Oak Park that was OP schools...had many many friends from both areas. I'm sure things have changed, but at the time there wasn't that much of a difference between living in OP than Ferndale at least in my opinion. I wish you the best Steelworker...I'm sure you will be very very happy!

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at the corner of 9 mile and Seneca right behind the Baskin Robbins '61-70. It was like Ozzie and Harrietville, and I mean that in a good way.

Steve

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Street Names and How They Came To Be" thread got me to this website:
http://www.cis.state.mi.us/pla tmaps/sr_subs.asp

which led me to some information I never knew regarding Oak Park street names. Coolidge Highway used to be Monnier Road until 1926, though I think I saw the Monnier name used on a map printed in about 1935. I imagine the name was changed in honor of the (former?) President. 9 Mile Road was Ferndale Ave. 10 Mile Road was New Hampshire Ave. Oak Park Blvd. was Oak Park Ave. And the street now named Gardner was Pavogel. Definitely an improvement there.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its official my closing date on my new Oak Park home is march 17! My investment in an inner ring suburb.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"10 Mile Road was New Hampshire Ave"

New Hampshire still runs parallel to 10 Mile in southfield, several blocks south. It curves upwards toward 10 Mile right before ending at Fairfax. It looks like it may have merged into what is now 10 Mile at one point or was planned to merge into it.
Anyone have any ideas what streets or landmarks were removed upon the development of 696?

Steve

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much of Wales Street in Oak Park was removed, as well as a synagogue named Shaarei Shamayim on 10 Mile Road.

Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, Steelworker! What street?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosemary Blvd

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5538
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats SW. Glad it finally happened!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Closing on St Patricks day so ill sign the contract and celebrate drinking green beer.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steelworker...reconsider and buy my house, i'll do a quick close

http://www.ygandbproject.com/u pload/wildwood%20home%20for%20 sale%20signage.pdf

Steelworker

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in my price range i got my 1200 square foot all brick bungelow with 2 bath 3 bed for 69,000 and im puting 12 thousand into it to make it perfect. already has a newer roof, updated electrical, all new windows, new carpet, new appliances, already has 3year old furnace and water heater. Aswell as all copper pipes. Nice hardwood floors and ceramic tile first floor. So im excited at the deal I received.

Luckycar

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker,my late mothers girlfriend lived on Rosemary.Wish I could ask her which house.This is close to Key school/Frost Jr. High,or whatever they call it now.Go Falcons!Oak Park will always remain in my heart and mind,may you enjoy your new home.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah im near irvine and moritz on rosemary